A crypto enthusiast who lost four Bitcoin on the Lightning Network in October has now managed to recover most of the missing funds, according to an update post on Reddit.
One of the most interesting projects in the cryptocurrency space, in my opinion, is the Lightning Network protocol (LN).
Even though some traders and analysts have plenty of criticisms regarding the development of the LN, I argue the open-source P2P payment channel technology is here to stay.
The LN not only affects Bitcoin, but the technology can also gap bridges between projects.
In a way, the Lightning Network has the potential to achieve what many other projects can only dream of: to become an interoperable protocol between blockchains.
At the moment, the platform consists of over 10,000 nodes, 35,000 open channels, and over 850 BTC in network capacity.
As discussed in this article, the Lightning Network is a payments channel linked to the Bitcoin network, and is also being developed for use with other cryptocurrency projects such as Litecoin.
Instead of relying on hard forks to upgrade transaction storage per block (block weight), the LN allows for the integration of off-chain payment state channels between nodes.
The LN creates direct off-chain connections between nodes instead of validating all information on the main chain. These connections are opened up by storing Bitcoin on a Lightning channel.
In the graph above, we can see the amount of BTC being stored in Lightning channels, courtesy of bitcoinvisuals.
It is true that the LN had a major spike in adoption in late 2018 and then stabilised around the summer this year. However, in my opinion, this correction is directly linked to lower BTC/USD volumes, which fell over 50% in the same time span.
Just recently, crypto exchange Bitfinex announced it is launching support for the Lightning Network. It therefore seems that the P2P payments protocol is gaining traction by the day.
So what happened to the four Bitcoins that were lost in October?
The problem occurred as a result of a bug in a recently implemented functionality called SCB Static Channel Backup.
SCB is quite important to avoid users losing funds due to hardware problems.
Lets say you have some channels open with local-balance committed, so your BTC is locked in an open channel. Without SCB, you run the risk of losing these funds in the event of a hard-drive failure or the VM crashing.
Terrible issue, right? The LN developers agree, which is why they developed the SCB functionality. However, this implementation had just been released in April 2019. As it was brand new, some issues can be expected.
Even one of the main LN developers, guggero, wrote on GitHub when replying to the user regarding the buggy SCB implementation:
Yes, you are right. Thats why there still is a -beta suffix in each version that we release.
Essentially, the users Bitcoin got locked in a closed channel thanks to SCB as it hadnt been updated correctly.
After looking at the main discussion issue on GitHub, one of the contributors explained what the user had to do.
Simply put, the user had to let the nodes run for a while in order to find the missing outputs. Afterwards, they only needed a quick sweep to find the coins.
Let it run for a week or two if it needs to. Theres a lot of scanning your node has to do. Watch your logs, your listchaintxns and closedchannels, and see what happens, if you like. Because every now and then, it should find a closing transaction that it needs to sweep funds from.
Guggero concluded that theres still around 3.7 BTC that should be claimable by the users node, so it seems that most (if not all) of the lost funds have eventually been recovered.
The post Four Bitcoin lost on the Lightning Network finally recovered appeared first on Coin Rivet.
- US Deficit Will Be at Least 6 Times Bitcoin Market Cap Every Year - Cointelegraph - January 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Puzzle Worth 2.1 BTC STILL Unsolved, Find New Clues Here - Bitcoinist - January 24th, 2020
- Five Years of Bitcoin Trendlines All Lead to This One Point; Fireworks Inbound - newsBTC - January 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Will Gold and Bitcoin Prices Rise as 2nd City in China... - Coinspeaker - January 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Breaks Below $8,300, Is The Bull Rally Already Over? - newsBTC - January 24th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: Bears take over and draw a bloody moon - FXStreet - January 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin 'to increase 98% in value by end of year' - Netimperative - January 24th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: Set for a dive before the next big bull market - FXStreet - January 24th, 2020
- Interim proprietary injunction granted over bitcoin cyber extortion payment - Data Protection Report - January 24th, 2020
- 5 Major Bitcoin Trends To Watch In 2020 - Forbes - January 23rd, 2020
- The Evolution of Bitcoin's Technology Stack - Cointelegraph - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Begun Its Journey to Fresh All-Time Highs; Factors to Consider - newsBTC - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Indicator that Crashed Price to $3.1K Returns: The Dreaded Death Cross - newsBTC - January 23rd, 2020
- Largest Bitcoin (BTC) Investment Vehicle Now Registered As an SEC Reporting Company: Grayscale - The Daily Hodl - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Will Reach $400,000 after Halving If History Is to Be Taken into... - Coinspeaker - January 23rd, 2020
- Regulation will see Bitcoin go mainstream in the UK Coinfloor CEO - Yahoo Finance - January 23rd, 2020
- Tesla Vs Bitcoin: Which One You Should Hold by 2025? - Bitcoinist - January 23rd, 2020
- Instantaneous Bitcoin [BTC] Payment Will Soon be Enabled at Starbucks, Courtesy of Bakkt - Coingape - January 23rd, 2020
- How Much Influence Will China Have On The Future Of Bitcoin? - Bitcoinist - January 23rd, 2020
- Alleged bitcoin thieves arrested by Tokyo police over 78 million haul - The Japan Times - January 23rd, 2020
- An Analysis of Price Discovery in Bitcoin Spot Markets - Traders Magazine - January 23rd, 2020
- Billionaire Investor Sees Major Flaw In Bitcoin Investment Thesis - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator Eyes First Bullish Turn Since August - Coindesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Swiss Banks Enter the Age of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin technology: Whats coming in 2020? - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Wall Street Veteran Thinks Bitcoin Isnt a Viable Money, Yet - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Will The Bitcoin Price Get Demolished By Central Bank-Issued Cryptos? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Now Reporting to the SEC, Grayscale Bitcoin Trust One Step Closer to Public Trading - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- The Key Indicator That Led Massive Bitcoin Upsurge to $13.8K Just Blinked Again - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- These Two Crypto Exchanges Greatly Increased Their Bitcoin (BTC) Reserves in 2019 - U.Today - January 22nd, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Driving Altcoins To The Moon - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Crypto Assets are not Banned in India: RBI - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin is up 20% so far this year and one expert predicts it could hit $16,000 by year end - CNBC - January 22nd, 2020
- Institutional Money May Be Igniting the Current Bitcoin Rally - CCN.com - January 22nd, 2020
- New Analysis Finds That Mondays Are the Best Days to Buy Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Solves This: Billionaires Own More Than 4.6 Billion People Combined - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Joe Rogan Is Not Convinced on Cryptocurrency and Bitcoin (BTC) - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Biggest Opportunity Of 2020 - Seeking Alpha - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Is Up 40% but Analysts Arent Convinced Bulls Are Back - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Gains Momentum: How Long Will It Last? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Saw A Key Technical Breakout: Big Reaction From Bulls Imminent - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Plunging, But Its Too Early To Say Bulls Have Given Up - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Is This Why Bitcoin SV Climbed Another 20% In the Last 24 Hours? - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- How Bitcoin's On-chain Activity and the Iran Crisis Correlate? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto market overview: Bitcoin (BTC) bulls lose initiative; altcoins drive the market higher - FXStreet - January 22nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin the Answer to Trump's 'Generosity' Towards Banks? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Report: Bitcoin outperforms banks in settlement times and reliability - Micky News - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Resurgent Bitcoin Will Likely Shrug Off Long-Term Bear Cross - Coindesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin's price rose 87% in 2019 here's what happened in Q4 - The Next Web - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Has Suddenly Soared, Pushing Bitcoin To A Fresh 2020 HighHeres Why - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Next Level - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin and major altcoins start the trip to the moon - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- US Judge Appoints Receiver To Oversee Butte Bitcoin Plant - MTPR - January 14th, 2020
- Adam Back: $10 Million Bitcoin Prediction Is Closer Than It Sounds - CCN.com - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Whale Alert: $1 Billion (0.7% Of Total Bitcoins) Just Transferred For $80 Fees - CryptoPotato - January 14th, 2020
- Former Coinbase VP: we moved billions of dollars into Bitcoin in large part because of Plaid - CryptoSlate - January 14th, 2020
- These Factors Suggest Bitcoin Cashs Recent Rally is Just Getting Started - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Higher levels to watch after the bullish run - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Is About To Repeat Its 2019 Rally? - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Officials with Butte Bitcoin company suing major investor - KPAX-TV - January 1st, 2020
- Ethereums Price Action is Similar to Bitcoins at $3,000: An Insane Rally is Imminent - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Yearly Candle Shows Failed Rally, Longest Wick on Record - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Etoro CEO Yoni Assia on Reaching 12 Million Users and Why Cryptos Are a Gateway to Stocks - Bitcoin News - January 1st, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2016 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Poised to Jump 40% Towards $10,000; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- The 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2015 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, despite its ups and downs, had a monster decade of growth - American Banker - December 31st, 2019
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2017 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price On Verge of Long-Term Doom; Heres Why - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Whats in Store for Bitcoin as the Year Draws to a Close - Market Realist - December 31st, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Likely to Gain Momentum After New Years - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, Ethereum are most profitable investments of the decade - Decrypt - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin to Benefit More from Trade War in 2020 than Halving - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019