The Bitcoin (BTC) price spiked from $6,900 to $7,300 across major cryptocurrency exchanges, liquidating $90 million on BitMEX and Bitfinex alone.
While several traders anticipated the Bitcoin price to see a strong upsurge as it breaks out of the $6,900 resistance level, the abrupt upsurge to $7,300 caught many technical analysts off guard.
The Bitcoin price is often susceptible to large downside movements as seen on March 12, when the price dropped to $3,600 from $8,000 on a single day.
Bitcoin tends to see overextended price movements because of the concentration of its volume in the futures market. According to the data from Bitwise Asset Management, the verifiable 24-hour spot volume of Bitcoin is estimated to be around $1.5 billion.
In contrast, BitMEX alone has processed $2.9 billion in the last 24 hours, with Binance Futures, OKEx, Huobi, Bybit and Deribit also seeing high volumes across top cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin and Ethereum.
On futures exchanges, traders typically use leverage ranging from 1x to 125x, essentially trading with borrowed funds. Leveraged trades leave the market vulnerable to extreme price swings, as they lead long contracts and short contracts to be liquidated in short periods of time.
Prior to the drop, the majority of traders in the crypto market were longing Bitcoin. Across BitMEX, Binance Futures, and Bitfinex, around 60 percent of futures contracts were longs.
The steady increase in buying demand started to squeeze Bitcoin shorts, forcing traders to market buy and adjust their positions. The squeeze continued on past $7,000, bringing the price of BTC to $7,300 in quick succession.
BTC-USDT daily chart. Source: TradingView
Highly regarded traders like Flood previously said that the strong recovery of Bitcoin from the $5,900 support level would likely result in a new test of higher resistance levels.
Had the entire move been triggered by a cascade of short liquidations from low levels, it would make a solid case for a short-term bearish retest.
But, since late March, the gradual increase in the price of Bitcoin since low $6,000s has primarily been led by growing spot volume and demand.
In a report, major cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase said that retail investors increasingly bought Bitcoin following the crash to $3,600.
Our customers typically buy 60% more than they sell but during the crash this jumped to 67%, taking advantage of market troughs and representing strong demand for crypto assets even during extreme volatility, said Coinbase.
A spot market-driven rally that is supplemented with shorts liquidation presents a more optimistic short-term outlook than just a futures market-driven price spike.
The key to sustaining the newly found short-term momentum of Bitcoin would be a slow grind upwards following the initial rapid increase to $7,300.
Read the original post:
Heres Why Bitcoin Price Just Spiked to $7.3K, Liquidating $90M - Cointelegraph
- Spiritual Reflections on the Bitcoin Halving - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Economy Fuels Faith in Crypto: Trust In Bitcoin Over Banks Increased 3X Since 2017 - Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2020
- 8 Reasons Why This Could Be the Time to Take Bitcoin Seriously - Entrepreneur - May 23rd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Traders 'Buy the Dip' as Bitcoin Hovers at $9,000 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Could Be More Resilient to Global Electric Failure Than Banks - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- The Shadow of Satoshi's Ghost: Why Bitcoin Mythology Matters - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- How This Billionaire-Backed Crypto Startup Gets Paid To Not Mine Bitcoin - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- As Bitcoin Halving Dust Settles, Network Awakens to Costly New Reality - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- 'No need' to invest in bitcoin or gold during the pandemic, says wealth manager - CNBC - May 23rd, 2020
- Goldman Sachs Is Hosting A Client Call About Bitcoin, Gold and Inflation - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- This Bitcoin Documentary From Africa Is Streaming on Amazon Prime - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Monster 369MB Block Processed on Bitcoin SV - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- Team Behind Bitcoin-Backed Ethereum Token tBTC Explains Shutdown - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Block Generation Speed Falls to 2017 Lows - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- You can now bet on Bitcoin or Ethereum with this new priceless token - Decrypt - May 23rd, 2020
- Exposure to -1x the Daily Performance: Bitcoin.com Exchange Adds Inverse Token BTCSHORT | Promoted - Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- This Metric Shows Bitcoin Is Undervalued Even After 150% Price Rally - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 19th, 2020
- The Fed Is Bitcoins Best Friend - Forbes - May 19th, 2020
- Here's when Bitcoin will actually reach 99.99% uptime - Decrypt - May 19th, 2020
- Bug Forces Shutdown of Bitcoin-Backed Ethereum Token tBTC - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 19th, 2020
- Citi's Tony McLaughlin on CBDCs, Libra and bitcoin - Finextra - May 19th, 2020
- From Buenos Aires to Beirut - Covid-19 Excuse Restricts Millions of Citizens from Withdrawing Their Own Money | Economics - Bitcoin News - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com's Mining Video Censored: The Tale of Youtube's Blatant Censorship and Propaganda - Bitcoin News - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Product Demos During the Halving - Bitcoin Magazine - May 19th, 2020
- J.K. Rowling Made the Grave Mistake of Asking the Internet to Explain Bitcoin - InsideHook - May 19th, 2020
- ISIS's $300 million war chest is hidden in Bitcoin, says think tank - Decrypt - May 19th, 2020
- S2F Hopium: Report and Twitter Critics Find Flaws With Bitcoin's Stock-to-Flow Ratio - Bitcoin News - May 18th, 2020
- 45 Older-Generation Bitcoin Miners Are Unprofitable After the Reward Halving - Bitcoin News - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin to Paint 2 Bullish Golden Crosses This Week, as it Eyes $10.5K Close - Bitcoinist - May 18th, 2020
- Fund manager: Past 6 weeks have been one of Bitcoins most bullish periods ever - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- P2P Bitcoin Trade Volumes and Inflation in Latin America Are on the Rise - Bitcoin News - May 16th, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips as Stock Markets Close Lower on the Week - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bears Say These 5 Metrics Will Stop BTC From Reclaiming $10K - Cointelegraph - May 16th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoins Hot Again and Crypto Miners Are Hoarding Or Are They? - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2020
- How Investors Are Presented With Bitcoin: 'A New Decentralized Monetary Asset, Akin to Gold' - Bitcoin News - May 16th, 2020
- Australian Woman Charged With Unlawfully Exchanging Over $3M in Crypto - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2020
- Heres how Bitcoin sentiment changed over the halving - Decrypt - May 16th, 2020
- CEO at Real Vision Raoul Pal Bets on Bitcoin Up 100x in Next Five Years - Cointelegraph - May 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Suddenly Back On The Move - Forbes - May 14th, 2020
- Understanding the Growing Trend of Bitcoin Currency Exchange - The Duke Perspective - Duke Today - May 14th, 2020
- Man behind $2 million in Bitcoin hacks arrested in Ireland - Micky News - May 14th, 2020
- Craig Wright Threatened to Crash The Bitcoin Price So What Happened? - Cointelegraph - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has HalvedWhat Now? - Forbes - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin poised to shine as governments print more money: report - Decrypt - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Crashes as Halving Hype Loses Impetus Over the Weekend - Bloomberg - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining is a Silly and Confusing Term - Anchorage Press - May 12th, 2020
- The CoinDesk 50: Bitmain, the Behemoth of Bitcoin Mining - CoinDesk - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Staging a Comeback Reminiscent of 2017 Bubble Frenzy - Bloomberg - May 12th, 2020
- Craig Wright: Bitcoin truth versus the 'turd that is fake news' - CoinGeek - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- Traders Say Binance Cut Their Bitcoin Shorts: Here's Why It Happened - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: Will 'halving' fuel another monster rally? - The Australian Financial Review - May 11th, 2020
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Coronavirus sows doubt over bitcoin's rally after third 'halving' - Reuters - May 11th, 2020
- Zcash Alliance Aims to Bring Privacy Tech to Bitcoin, Cosmos and Ethereum - CoinDesk - May 11th, 2020
- There's more Bitcoin on Ethereum than in the Lightning Network - Decrypt - May 11th, 2020
- Erik Voorhees: Bitcoin will replace the Feds 'pre-mined' dollar - Decrypt - May 11th, 2020
- Review Cryptopia: Bitcoin, Blockchains and the Future of the Internet - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin could hit above $100000 by August 2021 - Nairametrics - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price action causes an increase in spread on low-tier exchanges - AMBCrypto - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market jumps by over $13 billion driven by bitcoin as major technical event approaches - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin 101: What is Bitcoin? - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- One of Bitcoin's Earliest Miners Is Dedicating $66M in Crypto to a Fund of Funds - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- Dollar Vigilante Founder Talks Covid-19 and Economic Crisis: 'The Modern Financial System Is at the End of It's Rope' | Interview - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Here Are the Options: Bitcoin Derivatives Give BTC Halving Insight - Cointelegraph - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin ATM Locations Surge to Over 7700 Worldwide Amid Global Crisis - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Decentralized Finance Startup Focused on Bitcoin Cash Raises $1 Million for Expansion - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Revenue in Square's Cash App Tops Fiat Revenue for First Time in Q1 - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoins Gut Check: The Time of Crisis as the Moment of Truth - Cointelegraph - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin in Emerging Markets: The Middle East - Consensus - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- Coinshares Acquires Gabi Trading: New Unit Traded $3 Billion Worth of Crypto in 2019 | News - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Analyst Tone Vays Predicts 12-Month Bitcoin (BTC) Trajectory, Says Three Factors Will Drive People Into Crypto - The Daily Hodl - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Hits April High; Crypto Portfolios Get Stimulus Injection - Forbes - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC/USD paces above $7,800, the focus shifts to $9,000 - FXStreet - April 27th, 2020
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH is ten times more profitable than Bitcoin in 2020 - FXStreet - April 27th, 2020
- The Coronavirus May Have Actually Helped Bitcoin - Live Bitcoin News - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin to the Rescue as Ron Paul Says US Fed Fake Economy Has Burst - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Take the Money and Run - Bitcoin Transfers (even within the same state) Provide Basis for Federal Jurisdiction in Money Laundering Conviction - JD... - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin returns to form with solid price growth amid the coronavirus pandemic - SiliconANGLE - April 27th, 2020
- HandCash make Bitcoin more accessible 'for the rest of us' - CoinGeek - April 27th, 2020