Just before the internet became a massive display of human ingenuity and networking, a few individuals anticipated the emergence of tools that would help progress the end of politics and the nation states. 22 years ago, much like Nostradamus, Isaac Newton, Gerald Celente, and Carl Jungs forecasts, a book called The Sovereign Individual predicted the growing autonomy of the individual but also noted the development of the worlds largest economy flourishing in cyberspace.
Also read: Bitcoin Is a Viable Way to Remove the State From Your Life
Since the inception of Satoshi Nakamotos Bitcoin, many people have come to believe that cryptographic technology is meant to progress freedom and liberty by separating money from the state. The concept is similar to when the church was separated from the state but when the power of the church dissipated, the nation states quickly took its place. Cryptocurrencies now provide the means to transact financially without a middleman and this removes the great wealth of power from the states arsenal. More than two decades ago, the cypherpunks started spreading the seeds of crypto-anarchy after envisioning that the internet would help remove the parasites that stem from governments.
Just as the technology of printing altered and reduced the power of medieval guilds and the social power structure, so too will cryptologic methods fundamentally alter the nature of corporations and of government interference in economic transactions, cypherpunk Timothy May wrote in 1988. Humans have always tried to predict the future and forecasting trends has been popular since medieval times. People predicted the world wars decades beforehand, global economies collapsing, and monumental events that have changed society a great deal years before they happened.
Most people know about the cypherpunks from Silicon Valley and the great crypto-anarchist manifestos that were published at this time. In addition to these new philosophers, in 1997 two well-known investment advisors and authors, James Dale Davidson and Lord William Rees-Mogg, published a book that also predicted a huge change coming to society over the next century. Within the book of forecasts, the two authors of The Sovereign Individual predicted the coming of cryptocurrencies and economic realignment. Rees-Mogg and Davidsons book does not specifically mention Bitcoin, because it was published 12 years prior to the cryptocurrencys inception. However, the predictions do note the coming existence of an uncontrollable cybercash and that with technology we will see the growing autonomy of the individual and taxing capacity will plunge by 50-70 percent.
[Society will] develop what promises to be the worlds largest economy by the second decade of the new millennium, The Sovereign Individual states. If we were to look at the invention of Bitcoin as being part of the Sovereign Individuals timeline, we can see that things are just getting started. The cryptoconomy, for instance, is a $200 billion dollar economy that is not backed by a sole individual or endorsed by a corporate entity. Governments do not support the electronic borderless money, and ever since it was created the nation states have met the technology with adversity.
The open web has allowed online economies to flourish and financial epicenters like New York and technological regions like Silicon Valley have no hierarchy over the internets borderless and faceless power. Governments feel threatened by these technologies and The Sovereign Individuals predictions suggest that the nation states will push back just like the church did. At the time, during its predominant institution, the church, saw its monopoly challenged and shattered authority that had been unquestioned for centuries was suddenly in dispute, Rees-Mogg and Davidsons book highlights. The Sovereign Individuals timeline predicts the next millennium will be very similar. With economic tools like cryptocurrencies and other forms of technological advances like autonomous software, drones, defense groups, meshnet technology, Tor, VPNs, and influencer/gig economies, society can begin to remove the bureaucracy from their everyday lives. Davidson and Rees-Moggs novel states:
We believe that change as dramatic as that of five hundred years ago will happen again. The Information Revolution will destroy the monopoly of power of the nation-state as surely as the Gunpowder Revolution destroyed the churchs monopoly Like the late-medieval church, the nation state at the end of the twentieth century is a deeply indebted institution that can no longer pay its way. Its operations are ever more irrelevant and even counterproductive to the prosperity of those who not long ago might have been its staunchest supporters.
Right now, many people believe we are entering the initial phase of change that books like The Sovereign Individual predicted decades ago. On page 160 of the book, the two authors stress that as commerce takes hold on the internet it will lead inevitably to cybermoney. This new form of money Rees-Mogg and Davidson explain will reset the odds, reducing the capacity of the worlds nation-states. Unique, anonymous, and verifiable, this money will accommodate the largest transactions. It will also be divisible into the tiniest fraction of value. It will be tradable at a keystroke in a multi-trillion-dollar wholesale market without borders.
It is interesting to watch the forecasts written years ago come to fruition and especially ones that are changing society for the better. The advent of Bitcoin and the economy behind the thousands of digital assets out there shows that a massive transformation is indeed happening right now. Past predictions from the cypherpunks and books like The Sovereign Individual may help us understand why. Moreover, failing economies and protests worldwide clearly indicate the demand for freedom is just getting started.
What do you think about how Bitcoin and other tools apply to the Sovereign Individual thesis? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Op-ed Disclaimer: This is an Op-ed article. The opinions expressed in this article are the authors own. Bitcoin.com is not responsible for or liable for any content, accuracy or quality within the Op-ed article. Readers should do their own due diligence before taking any actions related to the content. Bitcoin.com is not responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any information in this Op-ed article.
Image credits: Wiki Commons, Shutterstock, Pixabay, Fair Use, and Twitter.
Did you know you can buy and sell BCH privately using our noncustodial, peer-to-peer Local Bitcoin Cash trading platform? The local.Bitcoin.com marketplace has thousands of participants from all around the world trading BCH right now. And if you need a bitcoin wallet to securely store your coins, you can download one from us here.
Jamie Redman is a financial tech journalist living in Florida. Redman has been an active member of the cryptocurrency community since 2011. He has a passion for Bitcoin, open source code, and decentralized applications. Redman has written thousands of articles for news.Bitcoin.com about the disruptive protocols emerging today.
- Bitcoin battered: The worst crypto catastrophes of 2019 - ZDNet - December 6th, 2019
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Futures - Forbes - December 6th, 2019
- Ethereum (ETH) Flirts With Key Resistance, Bitcoin Up 3% - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Tim Draper Says His $250,000 Bitcoin Price Prediction Is Not Based on Halvening - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- Now Is One of the Top 3 Greatest Buying Opportunities for Bitcoin: Analyst - CCN.com - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin's bumpy revolution may be only just beginning - The Independent - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) gets $500 more expensive in a matter of minutes. Whales behind the move? - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Florida company headquarters relocation stalled after Bitcoin bust - Orlando - Orlando Business Journal - December 6th, 2019
- Billionaire Ray Dalio on Bitcoin and Stablecoins: Possibly Never - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin is in recovery mode ahead of the weekend - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin CME Futures Gaps Are Filled With 95% Certainty, But Trading Them Is Risky - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin Trades Range-Bound As Investors Wait And See - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Why a massive $9 billion of bitcoin moved in one hour - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Prominent Investor Says Halving Won't Have a Big Impact on Bitcoin Price, Here's Why - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Crypto Is UnstoppableIs Bitcoin Really On The Cusp Of A Huge Santa Rally? - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- 70 cryptocurrency hedge funds have closed so far this year, investors weary of Bitcoin - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- How the bitcoin market always overreacts - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- $60 million liquidated as Bitcoin pumps 8% in three minutes - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin To Spend 2020 In Accumulation Mode, Ideal Buy Zone - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Four Bitcoin lost on the Lightning Network finally recovered - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Danish bank staff banned from buying Bitcoin with their own money urged to dump holdings - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Watch the first-ever bitcoin TV commercial launched in France - Fox Business - December 5th, 2019
- Peter Schiff on Bitcoin Price Drop: "Pump-and-Dumpers Are Losing Their Mojo" - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Is Bitcoin a better investment than gold, oil and stocks? - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Blasts Past $7,500, but Bulls Are Not Out of the Woods Yet - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD recovery stalled at $7,400 Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- 24 Chinese nationals arrested in Thailand over alleged Bitcoin call center scam - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Single Bitcoin Block Moves Funds the Size of Satoshi's Stash - Bitcoinist - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) Relatively Muted, Signs of Further Weakness - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: The calm before the storm - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ponzi Scheme That Keeps Dumping BTC Blamed for Bearish Price Action - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Voyager Pays Out the First Month of Interest to Bitcoin (BTC) Holders - SludgeFeed - December 5th, 2019
- Is This Why Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, And Ripples XRP Suddenly Rocketed Over Thanksgiving? - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Two Years of Upside? Bitcoin Yearly Candles Hint Explosive Price Growth Incoming - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Calvin Ayre Increases Investment in Bitcoin SV Ecosystem with Funding for sCrypt Smart Contract Venture - PRNewswire - December 2nd, 2019
- How the Upcoming Bitcoin Halving Compares to Previous Cycles - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- BitCoin and Cryptoasset Regulation: Recent Cases from Canada - JD Supra - December 2nd, 2019
- Understanding the distribution of the crypto market: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Cardano - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- Vertcoin Network Sabotaged by Another 51% Attack - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Drops 4.53%, But Downtrend Has Cooled and Dominance is Now Heading Up | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - December 2nd, 2019
- Technical Weekly - Bitcoin bulls on thin ice; Altcoins mixed - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- As Bitcoin Suddenly Bounces, A New Central Bank Crypto Rival Could End Evil Bitcoin - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Here Are The Key Bitcoin Levels To Watch - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Xi sees the future of China in the tech behind bitcoin - South China Morning Post - December 2nd, 2019
- How Bitcoin points to the future of decentralized protest - Decrypt - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoins Hash Rate is On the Decline; Heres What This Could Mean - Ethereum World News - December 2nd, 2019
- Sunday Digest: Bitcoin Price And Other Crypto News - Bitcoinist - December 2nd, 2019
- The reformation of Bitcoin - CoinGeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Has Wall Streets Love. But a Lack of Utility Means It Doesnt Have Investors. - Barron's - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Isnt Dead But One Day You Will Be - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Could Be an Alternative to Endless Money Printing - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Move Over Jack Dorsey And Elon Musk, Theres A New Bitcoin Believer In Silicon Valley - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gets a Big Boost in Germany After Banks Allowed to Offer Cryptocurrencies - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash can go up a thousand times from where it is now: 'Bitcoin Jesus' - CNBC - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gives the World Democratization of Savings Hedge Fund Exec - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2019
- Zeitgeist and Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- What the Fed Reserve's Balance Sheet Expansion Means for Bitcoin - Coindesk - November 30th, 2019
- Will Bitcoin Hit Peak Exhaustion in 2019 End? What Indicators Show - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Now Faces Its Do-or-Die Moment. Will It Drop to $6,200? - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Nobody knows what happened to this bitcoin exchange CEO - Decrypt - November 30th, 2019
- Forget the Noise; Traders Explain Why You Should Be Long-Term Bullish on Bitcoin - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin price: values show signing of recovery following slump - The Week UK - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin is hard to understand. So is its carbon footprint. - Grist - November 30th, 2019
- TV Host Refusing Free 100 Bitcoin Because Its Worthless Is Hypocritical - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin adoption to be driven by collateralized services: Max Keiser - AMBCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Instead of Apartments: Director of Failed Property Developer Bought Crypto with Customers' D - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoins Bounce Bumped Into The Resistance - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Fell 50% From Its 2019 High. Has It Bottomed Out? - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin price suddenly surges amid positive predictions - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin is Screaming to Investors That Volatility is Inbound - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- 4 Possible Reasons Bitcoin Dropped to $6.5K, According to VanEck Exec - Cointelegraph - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin has crashed again little wonder as it fails every test to be considered a currency - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Yahoo Finance - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is Cratering Again, Some People Believe For The Last Time, Again - Dealbreaker - November 26th, 2019
- This Bitcoin Moving Average Can Help Determine the Direction of Trends, Claims Analyst - BeInCrypto - November 26th, 2019
- How to Earn and Spend Bitcoin on Black Friday 2019 - Coindesk - November 26th, 2019
- The ABCs of bitcoin ATM regulation and compliance in the US - ATM Marketplace - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin tipped to slide further to US$6,500 on China clampdown - South China Morning Post - November 26th, 2019
- Localethereum Becomes Localcryptos and Adds BTC Trading - Bitcoin News - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Recovers Above $7,000 But Markets Shiver in Extreme Fear - CCN.com - November 26th, 2019