Just before the internet became a massive display of human ingenuity and networking, a few individuals anticipated the emergence of tools that would help progress the end of politics and the nation states. 22 years ago, much like Nostradamus, Isaac Newton, Gerald Celente, and Carl Jungs forecasts, a book called The Sovereign Individual predicted the growing autonomy of the individual but also noted the development of the worlds largest economy flourishing in cyberspace.
Also read: Bitcoin Is a Viable Way to Remove the State From Your Life
Since the inception of Satoshi Nakamotos Bitcoin, many people have come to believe that cryptographic technology is meant to progress freedom and liberty by separating money from the state. The concept is similar to when the church was separated from the state but when the power of the church dissipated, the nation states quickly took its place. Cryptocurrencies now provide the means to transact financially without a middleman and this removes the great wealth of power from the states arsenal. More than two decades ago, the cypherpunks started spreading the seeds of crypto-anarchy after envisioning that the internet would help remove the parasites that stem from governments.
Just as the technology of printing altered and reduced the power of medieval guilds and the social power structure, so too will cryptologic methods fundamentally alter the nature of corporations and of government interference in economic transactions, cypherpunk Timothy May wrote in 1988. Humans have always tried to predict the future and forecasting trends has been popular since medieval times. People predicted the world wars decades beforehand, global economies collapsing, and monumental events that have changed society a great deal years before they happened.
Most people know about the cypherpunks from Silicon Valley and the great crypto-anarchist manifestos that were published at this time. In addition to these new philosophers, in 1997 two well-known investment advisors and authors, James Dale Davidson and Lord William Rees-Mogg, published a book that also predicted a huge change coming to society over the next century. Within the book of forecasts, the two authors of The Sovereign Individual predicted the coming of cryptocurrencies and economic realignment. Rees-Mogg and Davidsons book does not specifically mention Bitcoin, because it was published 12 years prior to the cryptocurrencys inception. However, the predictions do note the coming existence of an uncontrollable cybercash and that with technology we will see the growing autonomy of the individual and taxing capacity will plunge by 50-70 percent.
[Society will] develop what promises to be the worlds largest economy by the second decade of the new millennium, The Sovereign Individual states. If we were to look at the invention of Bitcoin as being part of the Sovereign Individuals timeline, we can see that things are just getting started. The cryptoconomy, for instance, is a $200 billion dollar economy that is not backed by a sole individual or endorsed by a corporate entity. Governments do not support the electronic borderless money, and ever since it was created the nation states have met the technology with adversity.
The open web has allowed online economies to flourish and financial epicenters like New York and technological regions like Silicon Valley have no hierarchy over the internets borderless and faceless power. Governments feel threatened by these technologies and The Sovereign Individuals predictions suggest that the nation states will push back just like the church did. At the time, during its predominant institution, the church, saw its monopoly challenged and shattered authority that had been unquestioned for centuries was suddenly in dispute, Rees-Mogg and Davidsons book highlights. The Sovereign Individuals timeline predicts the next millennium will be very similar. With economic tools like cryptocurrencies and other forms of technological advances like autonomous software, drones, defense groups, meshnet technology, Tor, VPNs, and influencer/gig economies, society can begin to remove the bureaucracy from their everyday lives. Davidson and Rees-Moggs novel states:
We believe that change as dramatic as that of five hundred years ago will happen again. The Information Revolution will destroy the monopoly of power of the nation-state as surely as the Gunpowder Revolution destroyed the churchs monopoly Like the late-medieval church, the nation state at the end of the twentieth century is a deeply indebted institution that can no longer pay its way. Its operations are ever more irrelevant and even counterproductive to the prosperity of those who not long ago might have been its staunchest supporters.
Right now, many people believe we are entering the initial phase of change that books like The Sovereign Individual predicted decades ago. On page 160 of the book, the two authors stress that as commerce takes hold on the internet it will lead inevitably to cybermoney. This new form of money Rees-Mogg and Davidson explain will reset the odds, reducing the capacity of the worlds nation-states. Unique, anonymous, and verifiable, this money will accommodate the largest transactions. It will also be divisible into the tiniest fraction of value. It will be tradable at a keystroke in a multi-trillion-dollar wholesale market without borders.
It is interesting to watch the forecasts written years ago come to fruition and especially ones that are changing society for the better. The advent of Bitcoin and the economy behind the thousands of digital assets out there shows that a massive transformation is indeed happening right now. Past predictions from the cypherpunks and books like The Sovereign Individual may help us understand why. Moreover, failing economies and protests worldwide clearly indicate the demand for freedom is just getting started.
What do you think about how Bitcoin and other tools apply to the Sovereign Individual thesis? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Op-ed Disclaimer: This is an Op-ed article. The opinions expressed in this article are the authors own. Bitcoin.com is not responsible for or liable for any content, accuracy or quality within the Op-ed article. Readers should do their own due diligence before taking any actions related to the content. Bitcoin.com is not responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any information in this Op-ed article.
Image credits: Wiki Commons, Shutterstock, Pixabay, Fair Use, and Twitter.
Did you know you can buy and sell BCH privately using our noncustodial, peer-to-peer Local Bitcoin Cash trading platform? The local.Bitcoin.com marketplace has thousands of participants from all around the world trading BCH right now. And if you need a bitcoin wallet to securely store your coins, you can download one from us here.
Jamie Redman is a financial tech journalist living in Florida. Redman has been an active member of the cryptocurrency community since 2011. He has a passion for Bitcoin, open source code, and decentralized applications. Redman has written thousands of articles for news.Bitcoin.com about the disruptive protocols emerging today.
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - Yahoo Finance - July 9th, 2020
- ModiHost's Token Is Live on HitBTC, the Leading European Bitcoin Exchange | Press release - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- For The First Time It's Free To Hold Bitcoin In A Retirement Account - Introducing The No Annual Fee Choice IRA For Digital And Traditional Assets -... - July 9th, 2020
- Permissionless Software Foundation Aims to Foster Open-Source Software With Bitcoin Cash - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Never Be Truly Private Says Andreas Antonopoulos - Cointelegraph - July 8th, 2020
- Forget Bitcoin and Cash ISAs! I'd buy cheap FTSE 100 shares now to beat the State Pension - Yahoo Finance UK - July 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Bitcoin locked in DeFi hits all-time high of $2 billion - Decrypt - July 8th, 2020
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Three Most Controversial Bitcoin Price Models and What They Predict - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Trumps Former Sanctions Chief Joins Bitcoin Investigation Firm Advisory Board As Part Of Expanded $49 Million Investment - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Undo Button & Fleeing Firms: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Up 27% in First Half of 2020, Beating Gold, Silver and Platinum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Popular Stablecoin Tether Is Now Circulating on the Bitcoin Cash Network - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Demand for Bitcoin Will See a Dramatic Shift in 8 Years - Retail Investors to Eat up Entire New Supply | Economics - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Breadwallet and Ledger Live Released Fixes for Flaws in Bitcoin Wallets - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Developer Reveals Layer-Two Private Messaging and Payment System on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Equities Buoy Bitcoin, But Price Headwinds Are Unchanged - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Alleged scammers hid $14 million of stolen money in Bitcoin - Decrypt - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin As A Payment System Crypto Cards And The Rocky Road They Travel - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin will hit $50,000 by the end of the year Nexo co-founder - Crypto News Flash - July 7th, 2020
- Crypto Derivatives Volumes Crash 36% to $393 Billion in June, a Low for 2020 | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- 20K Bitcoin Is Still On The Table - Futures Magazine - July 7th, 2020
- First Mover: The Return of the Bitcoin Retail Investor (And Why Thats a Good Thing) - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- The most secretive Bitcoin wallet just moved nearly $1 billion - Decrypt - June 30th, 2020
- Why the Stock-to-Flow Bitcoin Valuation Model Is Wrong - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Will Take a Long Time to Dethrone the Dollar - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Skeptics Concerned Plustoken Scammers Plan to Dump $187M Worth of Ethereum | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin.org Maintainer Calls for the Removal of Cobra, Website Owner Then Fires Him - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- An Israeli Blockchain Startup Claims Theyve Invented an Undo Button for Bitcoin Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cardanos ADA Weekly Technical Analysis June 29th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Theory of Bitcoin: Essential knowledge from Craig Wright and Ryan X. Charles - CoinGeek - June 30th, 2020
- Bolstering Separation of Money and State Following the 244th Independence Day - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Legendary Investor Jim Rogers Warns Governments Will Have To Eliminate Bitcoin - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- What Changed My Mind About Bitcoin Narratives - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- The Last Time Volatility Was This Low Bitcoin Went On to Rally By $2K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- Record Unemployment Has Contributed To A Striking Shift Toward Bitcoin, New Research Reveals - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- Developer Who Successfully Hacked Bitcoin Wallet Ensures BTC Is Still Safe - Cointelegraph - June 27th, 2020
- What will happen to Bitcoin after all 21 million are mined? - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- Leveraged Tokens Soon Available on the Bitcoin.com Exchange | Promoted - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin mining farm buys up 17,600 minersdespite the halving - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- 6 Privacy-Enhancing Tools That Place Bitcoin Cash Transactions Ahead of the Pack | Privacy - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining Chip Manufacturer Ebang to List on Nasdaq This Week - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Suddenly Plunged To $8,900And It May Kickstart A 3-Month Correction - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Inactive Bitcoin Supply Reaches 4-Year High, Pointing to Bullish Sentiment - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Crypto 101: How to Send and Receive Bitcoin Cash Via the Bitcoin.com Wallet | Featured - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why 2020 Is a Great Year for Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Currency wars: The rise of bitcoin - Opinion - Jakarta Post - June 16th, 2020
- Encrypted Messaging Site Privnote Cloned to Steal Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin is becoming more trustworthy than big banks, says survey - Decrypt - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin-Friendly Top US Banking Regulator Aims to Solve Banks' Problems With Decentralization | News - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020
- Developer Activity Surrounding Eos, Tron, and Bitcoin Cash Plummets - Cointelegraph - June 14th, 2020
- CryptoMixer.bz: Bitcoin Mixer for your anonymity in the Crypto World - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- Facebooks Libra Stablecoin Project, Ethereum (ETH), Near, Bitcoin Cash are Currently Most Active Development Projects: Report - Crowdfund Insider - June 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin on the brink of a breakthrough? Or a crash? Same writer offers up two scenarios - Straight.com - June 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Drop to Key $9K Support Could Place the Uptrend in Peril - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Last Time This Key Statistic Hit All-Time High, Bitcoin Saw A 3900% Parabolic Rally - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Realized Cap Hits $106B Record as Fear Returns to BTC Index - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin's March to $100K: A Number of Crypto Experts Who Believe the Price per BTC Touches Six-Digits | Market Updates - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- Analyst predicts major correction in price of Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Continues to Reject at $10,000 - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- COVID-19 And Jerome Powell Will Test Bitcoin's Resilience - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is More Than an Inflation Hedge - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Bitcoin Price Could Be on the Verge of a New Uptrend - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- BTSE Exchange Offers Futures Contracts Tracking Tether Gold and Priced in Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Forks Have Trounced Bitcoin This Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Bitfinex Hackers Move Another $4.1 Million Bitcoin in Their Biggest Pay Day Yet | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- Nightmare Come True: User Pays $2.6 Million in Transaction Fees to Send $134 of Ether | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- This bootstrapped startup built an eBay for Bitcoins and is heating up Indias crypto market - YourStory - June 13th, 2020
- Stocks, Safe Havens and Hodlers 5 Things to Eye in Bitcoin This Week - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- The Bitcoin Trade Is Developing Well - RealMoney - TheStreet - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin price could be on the cusp of major bullish breakout - IG Bank - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rises Above $10K for First Time in 25 Days as Protests Roil US Cities - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 2nd, 2020
- JPMorganBitcoins Biggest EnemySuddenly Appears To Be Going All In On Crypto - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Surges Above $10,000 Amid Unrest, Riots In USWill It Hold? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rising, Satoshi Discoveries, & Google Enters the Race: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- The Last Time This Happened, Bitcoin Surged From $3,150 to $14,000 - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 2nd, 2020
- On the 'Bitcoin Fixes This' Meme - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 2nd, 2020
- Reddcoin (RDD) Nears PoSV v2 Activation, Clearing Way for Explosive Developments | Press release - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- With Riots Erupting in US Cities, Using Tools of Peaceful Protest Can be More Meaningful - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020