Anybody who has ever traded the bitcoin market is likely well aware of one thingit is notoriously volatile. Events that would barely move other markets can have a dramatic, but typically short-lived effect on bitcoin.
Here, we examine some of the most recent cases of volatility, and posit the possible rationale behind the madness that is bitcoin trading.
The most prominent overreaction in recent months was caused by comments from Chinese President Xi Jinping last month. During a speech made to the 18th collective study of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee, President Xi praised Bitcoin's underlying technology, blockchain, hailing it is an important breakthrough.
Almost immediately after President Xi's remarks were made public, bitcoin spiked from under $7,500, up to almost $10,000rising by a third in less than a dayending more than a month of decline. However, once the hysteria died down, the price of bitcoin again resumed its downtrend, falling back below $7,500, to its lowest value in over six months.
This isn't the first time a president's remarks have significantly influenced bitcoin's price action either. Back in July, US President Donald Trump posted a series of tweets slamming bitcoin, calling it "highly volatile and based on thin air," while remarking that unregulated crypto assets facilitate illegal activities.
That day the price of bitcoin fell from $12,000 to $11,200. But by the next day, the panic was over and the price rose back up towards $12,000.
Other events have similarly caused mass hysteria in the bitcoin market. In June, a flash crash on the Kraken cryptocurrency exchange saw bitcoin briefly fall to $100potentially as a result of a single large compromised account. This resulted in one of bitcoins largest-ever single-day dumps.
And yet again, once people realized the damage was limited, the price bounced back.
Since many cryptocurrencies, bitcoin included, derive much of their value as speculative investment vehicles, it stands to reason that any event that can significantly affect investor sentiment could alter its price action.
But in the bitcoin market, this is taken to the extreme, largely spearheaded by factors described as Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO)people jumping on positive price actionand Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD)a term used for negative news.
Be the first to get Decrypt Members. A new type of account built on blockchain.
With the unpredictability of future trends, the crypto market reacts highly emotionally to positive as well as negative news or events, said Gregor Krambs, cofounder of Alternative.me, which builds the Crypto Fear & Greed Index tool used to track sentiment in the crypto market.
The outcome of these mostly irrational decisions are driven by emotions of fear and greed, which get amplified by the vast amount of participants acting in the market, he added.
Prominent trader known as CryptoVince argues that institutions make the most of this, exaggerating the price swings. He told Decrypt, Retailers usually FOMO in upon good news causing a quick increase in price. Institutions countertrade the FOMO and sell/short bitcoin which will dramatically drop in the mid-term.
The exact opposite can also occur when bad news appears, which can explain bitcoin's price action in late October," he said.
As a result, significant good or bad news can cause a sudden rally or drop, as first responders emotionally react to the news, CryptoVince argued. This is then followed by algorithmic responses from higher volume traders, and lastly casual traders catching the back end of the price action.
As the initial hysteria dies down, the price then begins to stabilize, with a trend reversal often following shortly after.
See the original post:
How the bitcoin market always overreacts - Decrypt
- Billionaire Investor Sees Major Flaw In Bitcoin Investment Thesis - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator Eyes First Bullish Turn Since August - Coindesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Swiss Banks Enter the Age of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin technology: Whats coming in 2020? - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Wall Street Veteran Thinks Bitcoin Isnt a Viable Money, Yet - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Will The Bitcoin Price Get Demolished By Central Bank-Issued Cryptos? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Now Reporting to the SEC, Grayscale Bitcoin Trust One Step Closer to Public Trading - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- The Key Indicator That Led Massive Bitcoin Upsurge to $13.8K Just Blinked Again - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- These Two Crypto Exchanges Greatly Increased Their Bitcoin (BTC) Reserves in 2019 - U.Today - January 22nd, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Driving Altcoins To The Moon - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Crypto Assets are not Banned in India: RBI - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin is up 20% so far this year and one expert predicts it could hit $16,000 by year end - CNBC - January 22nd, 2020
- Institutional Money May Be Igniting the Current Bitcoin Rally - CCN.com - January 22nd, 2020
- New Analysis Finds That Mondays Are the Best Days to Buy Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Solves This: Billionaires Own More Than 4.6 Billion People Combined - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Joe Rogan Is Not Convinced on Cryptocurrency and Bitcoin (BTC) - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Biggest Opportunity Of 2020 - Seeking Alpha - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Is Up 40% but Analysts Arent Convinced Bulls Are Back - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Gains Momentum: How Long Will It Last? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Saw A Key Technical Breakout: Big Reaction From Bulls Imminent - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Plunging, But Its Too Early To Say Bulls Have Given Up - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Is This Why Bitcoin SV Climbed Another 20% In the Last 24 Hours? - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Biggest New-Year Rally Since 2012 - Wall Street Journal - January 22nd, 2020
- How Bitcoin's On-chain Activity and the Iran Crisis Correlate? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto market overview: Bitcoin (BTC) bulls lose initiative; altcoins drive the market higher - FXStreet - January 22nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin the Answer to Trump's 'Generosity' Towards Banks? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Report: Bitcoin outperforms banks in settlement times and reliability - Micky News - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Resurgent Bitcoin Will Likely Shrug Off Long-Term Bear Cross - Coindesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin's price rose 87% in 2019 here's what happened in Q4 - The Next Web - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Has Suddenly Soared, Pushing Bitcoin To A Fresh 2020 HighHeres Why - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Next Level - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin and major altcoins start the trip to the moon - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- US Judge Appoints Receiver To Oversee Butte Bitcoin Plant - MTPR - January 14th, 2020
- Adam Back: $10 Million Bitcoin Prediction Is Closer Than It Sounds - CCN.com - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Whale Alert: $1 Billion (0.7% Of Total Bitcoins) Just Transferred For $80 Fees - CryptoPotato - January 14th, 2020
- Former Coinbase VP: we moved billions of dollars into Bitcoin in large part because of Plaid - CryptoSlate - January 14th, 2020
- These Factors Suggest Bitcoin Cashs Recent Rally is Just Getting Started - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Higher levels to watch after the bullish run - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Is About To Repeat Its 2019 Rally? - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Officials with Butte Bitcoin company suing major investor - KPAX-TV - January 1st, 2020
- Ethereums Price Action is Similar to Bitcoins at $3,000: An Insane Rally is Imminent - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Yearly Candle Shows Failed Rally, Longest Wick on Record - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Etoro CEO Yoni Assia on Reaching 12 Million Users and Why Cryptos Are a Gateway to Stocks - Bitcoin News - January 1st, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2016 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Poised to Jump 40% Towards $10,000; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- The 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2015 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, despite its ups and downs, had a monster decade of growth - American Banker - December 31st, 2019
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2017 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price On Verge of Long-Term Doom; Heres Why - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Whats in Store for Bitcoin as the Year Draws to a Close - Market Realist - December 31st, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Likely to Gain Momentum After New Years - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, Ethereum are most profitable investments of the decade - Decrypt - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin to Benefit More from Trade War in 2020 than Halving - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- TronWallet Fires Away Updated Version with Bitcoin Transactions and TRX to BTC Swap Feature - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin in 2019: Positive BTC Performance Across the Board - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Alchemy: BTC Turns 100 Grams of Gold into Eight Tons - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Is Bitcoin Resilient Enough to Take on Cyber Threats in 2020? - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- This Bitcoin Halvening Could Be Drastically Different, According to Bloomberg Analyst - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin's Next Decade Will Be Shaped by Derivatives - Bitcoin News - December 31st, 2019
- Analyst Who Predicted Bitcoins Plunge Months Ago: Price to Top $20,000 By Early 2021 - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Is BSV the real Bitcoin? - CoinGeek - December 31st, 2019
- 2020 predictions for gold, bitcoin and other precious metals - Money Observer - December 31st, 2019
- Heres How to Prepare for Bitcoins Annual Birthday Bank Run - newsBTC - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD directionless ahead of New Year Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is the Only Asset Class in the World That Is Not Rallying: Peter Schiff - U.Today - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin mining mostly uses energy that otherwise wouldnt be spent - AMBCrypto - December 27th, 2019
- Early Bitcoin Adopter Throws Cold Water On Halving Narrative; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gained 8.9 Million Percent Over the Last Decade - Bitcoin News - December 26th, 2019
- As 2019 closes, a look back at what happened to the altcoin boom - TechCrunch - December 26th, 2019
- Corporations Need Bitcoin. They Just Don't Know It Yet - Coindesk - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Will Go Vertical In 2020, Spencer Bogart Says - Bitcoinist - December 26th, 2019
- 10 Best Performing Cryptos of 2019 Not Named Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - December 24th, 2019
- $7,700 to $7,300: Where Bitcoin Is Heading After Violent Rejection - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019