Watch This Episode On YouTube
Listen To This Episode:
After a week off due to illness, were back with a new episode of Bitcoin Magazines Fed Watch'' podcast. In this one, Christian Keroles and I sat down to talk about the mysterious competitive world of central banking. Topics include Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powells reappointment and, funnily enough, what it means for the European Central Bank (ECB). There is an epic pivot in loyalties happening right now, as the Fed takes to heart its role as the U.S. central bank and distances itself from a responsibility to Europe.
We started the episode with our first trivia winner. I wanted people to answer the question: If central bank balance sheets matter, why are the ECB and Bank of Japans (BOJ) inflation rates lower and balance sheets higher relative to GDP than the U.S.s? Mitch (@wittyusername30) had the best answer. Congratulations. To paraphrase: Central banks dont print money, they swap inert reserves for useful collateral. This has a deflationary pressure on the economy.
Powell was renominated by President Biden as the Fed chairman, winning out over his primary competition, Lael Brainard. Several reasons were cited, like the fact that Powell's path through Senate confirmation is much easier while Lael might meet with a split vote along partisan lines in a 50/50 Senate. Also, officials said Powell was being rewarded with another term for successfully shepherding the economy through the 2020 COVID-19 recession.
I view this appointment as having a deeper meaning:
One, Weve talked at length on this show about Powells refusal to go along with the central bank digital currency (CBDC) hype. Other central banks are pushing hard for CBDCs, and Powell continuously splashes cold water on that idea. This symbolizes a break with globalist interests in favor of American banking interests.
Two, Powell has faced rising progressive opposition from Congress. Crazies, like Senator Elizabeth Warren, have attacked him because he is not dovish enough and not buying into the Feds role in climate policy. His reappointment is a repudiation of sorts against progressives and their toxic ESG initiatives.
Three, Lael is the more globalist-friendly choice. Powell symbolizes a break with globalists to a more America-centric policy.
Next, we jumped right into ECB news. This week, it released a new regulatory framework for electronic payments:
The Eurosystem will use the new framework to oversee companies enabling or supporting the use of payment cards, credit transfers, direct debits, e-money transfers and digital payment tokens, including electronic wallets. The PISA framework will also cover crypto-asset-related services, such as the acceptance of crypto-assets by merchants within a card payment scheme and the option to send, receive or pay with crypto-assets via an electronic wallet.
ECB Press Release
This stands in stark contrast to the U.S., where the White House and Treasury tried to carve out a bitcoin exception in the recent infrastructure bill, which ironically was thwarted by altcoiners wanting to protect scams that are decentralized in name only (DINO).
The ECB is scared that the euro will lose market share in the years to come, whittling away its monetary sovereignty. It wants to block competition from dollar stablecoins and bitcoin, while at the same time provide the market with a digital euro a digital euro the market hasnt seen fit to provide itself, by the way.
We went into depth on the many headwinds facing Europe right now. Of course, it has inflation, but it also is facing the Fed turning its back; supply chain disruptions and trade volumes shrinking; a rising case count of COVID-19, despite the authoritarians forcing shots under duress, new lockdowns and restrictions in many countries; and an escalating energy crisis that places Europe in the palm of Russia, right at the time Russia is massing troops on the border of Ukraine. Its a perfect storm that is resulting in capital fleeing Europe for the dollar and hopefully for bitcoin.
This week, the dollar broke out decisively to new highs, signaling building stress in the global financial system. It looks like the collateral shortage that weve talked about for the last six to 12 months is turning rapidly into a dollar shortage.
The collateral shortage is coming.
Bitcoin is a neutral asset that is ready and willing to welcome capital fleeing Europe and China. It also offers a place for capital to flee to, that wont unbalance debt elsewhere in the economy.
Investors know that a rising dollar hurts the global economy. Most debts are denominated in dollars, as the dollar rises it becomes much harder to service those debts. The world does better when the dollar is weakening, but is pulled into recession as the dollar strengthens. Bitcoin offers an alternative escape for that value, that might be able to short circuit the back and forth with the dollar.
For this thesis to be correct, we should see the dollar and bitcoin rising together, and that is exactly what weve seen this year; a very tight correlation. This is not a cause and effect, they are both benefiting from the same market conditions.
As you can see in the chart below, the dollar rose first in June 2021, followed a month later by bitcoin. Then again in September 2021, followed a month later by bitcoin. Most recently, the dollar began surging in the first days of November, if bitcoin is to follow in the correlation, it should begin to rally again right at the beginning of December.
The dollar's recent strength indicates an upcoming price rally for bitcoin.
The first European Debt Crisis (EDC1) directly followed the Great Financial Crisis, and peaked in 2010 to 2012. It is looking more likely that the current situation could culminate in a European Debt Crisis 2.0.
It was during the peak of EDC1 that bitcoin first established itself and rallied in the bitcoin bubble of 2011 to $30. Could we see a repeat 30x rally this time? Probably not that much, but a massive rally is in the cards in the coming year.
- How to Cash Out Bitcoin: Complete Guide - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin (BTC) live coin price, charts, markets & liquidity - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin (Cryptocurrency) TradingView - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Up Official Website - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Era | The Official Bitcoin Era App - January 14th, 2022
- Arkansas is offering remote tech workers $10,000 in bitcoin to move to there - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Kazakhstan bitcoin miner: US will make up 60% of the worlds computing power in 2 years - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2022
- Congress Introduces A Game-Changing Crypto Bill As The Price Of Bitcoin, Ethereum, BNB, Solana, Cardano, XRP Sinks - Forbes - January 14th, 2022
- The US Government and Bitcoin Auctions: Here's What Investors Need to Know - Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Is A Better Store Of Value Than Real Estate - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin could rise to $75,000 this year to top record high, bank CEO predicts - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Miners Bit Digital, Canaan, and SOS Are Flying High This Week - The Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Congress Announces Hearing On Bitcoins Energy Use - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- US Billionaire Bill Miller Bets 50% of His Wealth in Bitcoin - TheStreet - January 14th, 2022
- Job Postings With Terms Like 'Bitcoin' and 'Cryptocurrency' Grew Almost 400% on LinkedIn Last Year - Money - January 14th, 2022
- University accepts Bitcoin donations to fund crypto-related activities - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- The rich get richer: Rethinking Bitcoins power as an inflation hedge - TechCrunch - January 14th, 2022
- Dont mention K country: Bitcoin Magazine's YouTube restored after ban - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin cycle is far from over and miners are in it for the long haul: Fidelity report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- 2 Cryptocurrencies That Have Trounced Bitcoin and Shiba Inu During the Crypto Crash - Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Discussing The Importance Of Bitcoin's Open-Source Ethos - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- Visa: One in Four Businesses Surveyed Plan to Accept Cryptocurrency Payments This Year Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 14th, 2022
- Mai Capital Predicts Tough Year for Crypto Expects Bitcoin and Ethereum to Do Well Once Regulations Come Into Focus Regulation Bitcoin News -... - January 14th, 2022
- What is Bitcoin? | How Do Bitcoin and Crypto Work? | Get ... - December 22nd, 2021
- The U.S. government has a massive, secret stockpile of bitcoin Here's what happens to it - CNBC - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin has its own 1% who control outsized share of wealth - CBS News - December 22nd, 2021
- Missed out on hot crypto stocks in 2021? It paid just to buy Bitcoin and Ethereum, data shows - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2021
- TA: Bitcoin Gains Momentum, Why Rally Isn't Over Yet - NewsBTC - December 22nd, 2021
- How Bitcoins Sound Incentives Drive A Sound World - Bitcoin Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Daily Crunch: Bitcoin is religion; web3 is greed - TechCrunch - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Giveaway: Actress Gwyneth Paltrow Gives Away $500K in BTC for the Holidays Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoins Proof Of Work Is Well Worth Its Fees - Bitcoin Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Will Revealing Satoshi Nakamoto's Identity Help Bitcoin in 2022? - Analytics Insight - December 22nd, 2021
- Donald Trump Says Crypto Is 'Very Dangerous' Warns of 'Explosion Like We've Never Seen' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 22nd, 2021
- Happy bearday, Bitcoin: Its been 3 years since BTC bottomed at $3.1K - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Price Chart Risks Lapsing Into Bearish Pattern - Bloomberg - December 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin could hit $100K, gold $2K in 2022 thanks to 'deflationary forces' Bloomberg analyst - Cointelegraph - December 9th, 2021
- Jack Dorseys ditched Twitter for bitcoin. Has the social media bubble burst? - The Guardian - December 9th, 2021
- Can Bitcoin's hard cap of 21 million be changed? - Cointelegraph - December 9th, 2021
- Countries Are Leaving The USD Standard, They Need A Bitcoin Strategy - Bitcoin Magazine - December 9th, 2021
- Ethereum Might Dethrone Bitcoin as Best Crypto Store of Value, Study Argues Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 9th, 2021
- Ethereum it outperforming bitcoin because its a tech bet: Novogratz - Markets Insider - December 9th, 2021
- Monster-Sized Bitcoin Whale Transfers: Blockchain Parser Catches Significant Amounts of 'Cold BTC' Moved to Active Exchanges Featured Bitcoin News -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin.com Unlocks Earn on Crypto Promoted Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin And Omicron: Is Another Black Swan Brewing? - NewsBTC - December 3rd, 2021
- True or false: 91% of surveys about Bitcoin and crypto are totally wrong - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- This simple Bitcoin options strategy lets traders profit while also hedging their bets - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- Can Bitcoin rally in December? | Tune in now to The Market Report w/ Gareth Soloway - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- The Invisible Incentives Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - December 3rd, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2021
- Pokmon GO Creator's AR Platform Is Now Being Used To Hunt Bitcoin, Not Pocket Monsters - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2021
- Stripe says it's open to accepting crypto for payments, three years after ending bitcoin support - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Thanksgiving Gift, Why BTC Heads For Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- JPMorgan Lists Ethereum As A Better Investment Than Bitcoin - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- Buy the Dip: Bitcoin Whales Accumulated Over $2.36 Billion in $BTC After Price Drop - CryptoGlobe - November 25th, 2021
- Macro Guru Raoul Pal Says Millennials Migrating to Bitcoin From Gold and Traditional Finance Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - November 25th, 2021
- NFL Star Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Be Paid in Bitcoin This Season - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2021
- Hartford Police seized $20,000 from a Bitcoin ATM after it was linked to a fraud - WFSB - November 25th, 2021
- Transacting on Solana less energy-intensive than on Bitcoin, Ethereum, report reveals - AMBCrypto News - November 25th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Best Weapon Society Has Against Inflation And Wealth Inequality - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Seeing red? FUD that! Here's what you should have bought instead of Bitcoin last week - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin was looking good as an inflation hedge then it plunged nearly 20% - Markets Insider - November 22nd, 2021
- IRS Expects to Seize Billions of Dollars in Cryptocurrency Next Year More Than $3.5 Billion in Crypto Seized This Year Regulation Bitcoin News -... - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Helps Poverty Rather Than Hides It - Bitcoin Magazine - November 22nd, 2021
- 69-Year Old Israeli Lady Turned a $3K Bitcoin Investment to $320K: Now the Bank Refuses to Deposit - CryptoPotato - November 22nd, 2021
- Socialite and Model Alexis Ren Doesn't Trust the Dollar Economy, Says Crypto Is a Viable Alternative Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Strong Institutional Holders Moving Into Bitcoin, According to Cathie Wood of ARK Invest - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and Four Altcoins Witnessing Mass Adoption As Crypto Market Targets $200,000,000,000,000 ... - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Avalanche Value Surges Reaching an All-Time High, AVAX Joins the Top Ten Crypto Markets Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Quentin Tarantino Sued for an Upcoming Auction of Pulp Fiction NFTs Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Karnataka home minister is a mad man: Congress state chief ... - November 20th, 2021
- Tesla And Elon Musk Devotee Cathie Wood Issued A Serious Bitcoin And Ethereum Fed WarningBut Held Her Huge $500,000 Price Prediction - Forbes - November 20th, 2021
- While Speculators Believe Bitcoin's Third-Largest Wallet Is a Mystery Whale, Onchain Data Suggests It's an Exchange Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin... - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Falls Almost 20% Since Biggest Cryptocurrency's Historic Record - Bloomberg - November 20th, 2021
- If bitcoin is 'digital gold,' it should be taxed like gold | TheHill - The Hill - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETFs and Corporate Adoption Are 2 Key Crypto Catalysts to Watch - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Dont think anybody can say Bitcoin is a joke now: Morgan Housel - Economic Times - November 20th, 2021
- Does the Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana, and Cardano Price Crash Signal Another Crypto Winter? - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Shakeout Or Top? Here's What Bitcoin SOPR Says About It - NewsBTC - November 20th, 2021
- Sports Illustrated Awards Sweepstakes Sponsored by FTX to Give Away 1 Bitcoin Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 20th, 2021