A Bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF) is a security that mimics the performance of the actual Bitcoin digital currency. The underlying asset in the case of a Bitcoin ETF is the digital Bitcoin currency. There are Bitcoin exchanges, which are just networks of computers, where Bitcoin and Bitcoin ETFs are traded. However, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has not approved a Bitcoin ETF for trading on U.S. exchanges. Consider working with a financial advisor before you decide to invest in cryptocurrencies.
How ETFs Work
An ETF is a basket of securities in which you can invest and diversify your portfolio. Lets say you would like exposure to the entire stock market. There are several market indexes that reflect the stock market. Perhaps the most well-known is the Standard and Poors 500 (S&P 500) market index. Very few investors would have the funds available to buy stock in all 500 companies. Instead, they can invest in an ETF that holds equity securities traded on the S&P 500. It tracks the price of the S&P 500. The ETF gives the investors exposure to the securities in the S&P 500 since that market index is the underlying asset.
ETFs are set up like mutual funds, although ETFs are usually cheaper. They have passive management and the management fees are lower. They are traded on the exchanges just like stock. More importantly, they give investors access to types of financial assets to which investors would usually not have access as well as some diversification.
How Bitcoin ETFs Work
Man touches a digital crytocurrency price board
Bitcoin ETFs work exactly the same as other ETFs, but Bitcoin is the underlying asset instead of stocks or bonds. Investing in a Bitcoin ETF gives you exposure to the Bitcoin market. By purchasing a Bitcoin ETF, you are indirectly investing in Bitcoin, but you hold a position in an investment portfolio without having to deal with the security and storage issues of holding the Bitcoin currency. If you invest in a Bitcoin ETF, your risk is lower but still very significant.
Keep in mind that Bitcoin is subject to extreme price volatility. As a result, Bitcoin ETFs have more risk than many other ETFs because of the price volatility of the underlying asset.
The beauty of investing in a Bitcoin ETF instead of in the digital currency itself is that ETFs are investment vehicles that are subject to regulation, which makes them safer for private investors. Even though there is no Bitcoin ETF approved for trading on U.S. exchanges, speculators or investors can use the Canadian exchanges.
Recently, several Bitcoin EFTs have been approved in Canada. Bitcoin financial assets can also be traded on several exchanges in Europe. Some of those are exchange-traded notes. There is an over-the-counter Bitcoin Trust available for investors to invest in. Heres what you need to know about this type of security.
Pros and Cons of Bitcoin ETFs
There are several potential benefits of Bitcoin ETFs over Bitcoin digital currency:
Bitcoin ETFs are safer and easier for cryptocurrency investors to invest in. By contrast, buying Bitcoin currency raises the issues of security and storage.
Bitcoin is a new investment asset. Since it is not related to stocks or bonds or other traditional investment assets in any way, it does provide a degree of diversification to your portfolio although it also increases the risk. Bitcoin ETFs provide a little less risk.
If you invest in Bitcoin ETFs instead of the underlying digital currency, then you can trade through traditional exchanges. You wont have to deal with a cryptocurrency exchange.
If investors think the price of Bitcoin is going to go down, they can short-sell Bitcoin ETFs, but not Bitcoin currency outside an ETF.
While there are potential advantages to Bitcoin ETFs, there are several reasons to be cautious:
Bitcoin ETFs have management fees. The more shares you own of the ETF, the higher your management fees.
You cannot trade Bitcoin housed in an ETF for other cryptocurrencies.
ETFs may be inaccurate. Due primarily to price volatility, a Bitcoin ETF may not accurately track its market index.
Special Considerations for Investors
Woman checking her Bitcoin ETF
There are special considerations investors should make before investing in Bitcoin ETFs. The industry is rife with fraud. Unscrupulous individuals may try to sell you false Bitcoin. Keep in mind that your Bitcoin key is the same thing as your PIN for your debit or credit cards and that key is subject to theft. There are also computer glitches that might allow in hackers, malware or computer viruses. The cryptocurrency market has almost no uniform rules and regulations.
As Bitcoin ETFs are developed in various countries, governmental regulations that are imposed could devalue any cryptocurrency, including Bitcoin. The lack of regulation could cause a lack of liquidity in the market as well as a question about the legitimacy of Bitcoin and all cryptocurrencies.
The Bottom Line
Bitcoin ETFs are more convenient ways to invest in the currency than the underlying Bitcoin digital version. The SEC is being cautious before it approves Bitcoin ETFs for the U.S. due to the inherent riskiness of this new type of currency. Due to the lack of regulation in the cryptocurrency market and its Wild West reputation, the SEC fears manipulation and is concerned that one rogue investor could move the market.
Tips on Investing
Bitcoin and all cryptocurrencies are risky and not meant for beginning investors. If you think you might want to invest in Bitcoin EFTs, it would be best to talk with a financial advisor. Finding one doesnt have to be hard. If you use SmartAssets financial advisor matching tool, you can find a financial advisor to your liking. If youre ready, get started now.
It may be inevitable that Bitcoin ETFs come to U.S. exchanges. If you are interested in buying shares in an ETF, even if it is not a U.S. EFT, use SmartAssets asset allocation calculator to get an idea of how it would fit in your portfolio.
Photo credit: iStock.com/Nature, iStock.com/Funtap, iStock.com/DisobeyArt
The post How to Invest in Bitcoin ETFs appeared first on SmartAsset Blog.
- The future is Bitcoin according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2021
- Pokmon GO Creator's AR Platform Is Now Being Used To Hunt Bitcoin, Not Pocket Monsters - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2021
- Stripe says it's open to accepting crypto for payments, three years after ending bitcoin support - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Thanksgiving Gift, Why BTC Heads For Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- JPMorgan Lists Ethereum As A Better Investment Than Bitcoin - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- Buy the Dip: Bitcoin Whales Accumulated Over $2.36 Billion in $BTC After Price Drop - CryptoGlobe - November 25th, 2021
- How The Latest Macroeconomic News Is Impacting Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 25th, 2021
- Macro Guru Raoul Pal Says Millennials Migrating to Bitcoin From Gold and Traditional Finance Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - November 25th, 2021
- NFL Star Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Be Paid in Bitcoin This Season - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2021
- Hartford Police seized $20,000 from a Bitcoin ATM after it was linked to a fraud - WFSB - November 25th, 2021
- Transacting on Solana less energy-intensive than on Bitcoin, Ethereum, report reveals - AMBCrypto News - November 25th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Best Weapon Society Has Against Inflation And Wealth Inequality - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Seeing red? FUD that! Here's what you should have bought instead of Bitcoin last week - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin was looking good as an inflation hedge then it plunged nearly 20% - Markets Insider - November 22nd, 2021
- IRS Expects to Seize Billions of Dollars in Cryptocurrency Next Year More Than $3.5 Billion in Crypto Seized This Year Regulation Bitcoin News -... - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Helps Poverty Rather Than Hides It - Bitcoin Magazine - November 22nd, 2021
- 69-Year Old Israeli Lady Turned a $3K Bitcoin Investment to $320K: Now the Bank Refuses to Deposit - CryptoPotato - November 22nd, 2021
- Socialite and Model Alexis Ren Doesn't Trust the Dollar Economy, Says Crypto Is a Viable Alternative Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Strong Institutional Holders Moving Into Bitcoin, According to Cathie Wood of ARK Invest - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and Four Altcoins Witnessing Mass Adoption As Crypto Market Targets $200,000,000,000,000 ... - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Avalanche Value Surges Reaching an All-Time High, AVAX Joins the Top Ten Crypto Markets Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Quentin Tarantino Sued for an Upcoming Auction of Pulp Fiction NFTs Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Karnataka home minister is a mad man: Congress state chief ... - November 20th, 2021
- Tesla And Elon Musk Devotee Cathie Wood Issued A Serious Bitcoin And Ethereum Fed WarningBut Held Her Huge $500,000 Price Prediction - Forbes - November 20th, 2021
- While Speculators Believe Bitcoin's Third-Largest Wallet Is a Mystery Whale, Onchain Data Suggests It's an Exchange Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin... - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Falls Almost 20% Since Biggest Cryptocurrency's Historic Record - Bloomberg - November 20th, 2021
- If bitcoin is 'digital gold,' it should be taxed like gold | TheHill - The Hill - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETFs and Corporate Adoption Are 2 Key Crypto Catalysts to Watch - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Dont think anybody can say Bitcoin is a joke now: Morgan Housel - Economic Times - November 20th, 2021
- Does the Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana, and Cardano Price Crash Signal Another Crypto Winter? - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Shakeout Or Top? Here's What Bitcoin SOPR Says About It - NewsBTC - November 20th, 2021
- Sports Illustrated Awards Sweepstakes Sponsored by FTX to Give Away 1 Bitcoin Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 20th, 2021
- Aussie brothers hit Nasdaq with plan to turn Bitcoin green - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin Too Big to Fail? - Institutional Investor - November 6th, 2021
- Estimating This Cycle's Bitcoin Price Top - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Billionaire Tom Steyer: This type of bitcoin venture is a disaster for the environment - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2021
- Moving $25 Billion in BTC via Alternate Chains There's Now Over 400000 Tokenized Bitcoins in Existence - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- New York's Incoming Mayor Wants to Be Paid in Bitcoin (At Least Temporarily) - Gizmodo - November 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin price consolidation could be over, says trader as Ethereum, Polkadot hit all-time highs - Cointelegraph - November 6th, 2021
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Cryptos stagnate but one readies to explode - FXStreet - November 6th, 2021
- Spending a String of 20000 BTC 2 Bitcoin Whale Transactions Move Over $1.2 Billion Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- Square says bitcoin demand slowed in Q3 but picked back up in October; earnings weigh on stock - MarketWatch - November 6th, 2021
- Why The Navajo Are Mining Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Roughly One-Third of Bitcoin Is Controlled by a Small Cabal of Whales, According to New Study - Gizmodo - October 26th, 2021
- Heres the Line in the Sand for a Bitcoin Breakout, According to Veteran Crypto Trader Tone Vays - The Daily Hodl - October 26th, 2021
- As bitcoin soars in value again, here's what to think about before you buy - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Some Are Betting on State-of-the-Art Mining Machines as Bitcoin (BTC) Breaks New Price Ground - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin is over $66,000. Here are 3 questions to ask yourself before you invest - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- OLB Group Expands Bitcoin Mining Operation With 500 ASIC Miners, Expects $1M Monthly Revenue - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Swarm of Alternative Crypto Assets Outpace Bitcoin's Gains by Double Digits This Week Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 26th, 2021
- Elon Musk on his crypto portfolio: I only own bitcoin, ether and dogecoin - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Why is Illinois' largest electric utility mining Bitcoin near one of its coal-fired power plants? - Bloomington Pantagraph - October 26th, 2021
- US Government To Auction 4.94 Bitcoin Worth Over $300,000 - Bitcoin Magazine - October 26th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Needs To Clear $64K For Hopes of a Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - October 26th, 2021
- Coinbase Follows Bitcoin Into Consolidation: Is The Stock Headed For $415? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin rises to the highest since May, is now up 30% in October - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin jumps to nearly 5-month high, topping $55,000 on Wednesday - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs back above $50,000 as it starts October on a tear - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- What Caused Bitcoin Prices To Reach Their Highest Since May? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Hits Five-Month High - TheStreet - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin is up 30% in Octoberand within striking range of its all-time high - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Swiss think tank initiates vote to add Bitcoin in federal constitution - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Buying bitcoin or any other crypto is a huge leap of faith and you don't want to be the 'greater fool' - MarketWatch - October 12th, 2021
- BTC's Price Rise Gives 5-Year-Old Mining Rigs New Life Bitcoin Hashrate Jumps Close to 20% Since Last Week Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- Has Bitcoin Improved As A Flight To Safety Investment? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 12th, 2021
- How Henry Ford Envisaged Bitcoin 100 Years Ago A Unique 'Energy Currency' That Could 'Stop Wars' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- 3 warning signs suggest the Bitcoin price rally is overextended - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- BitMEX CEO Predicts Five Developing Countries Will Accept Bitcoin As Legal Tender Next Year Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs to highest in nearly two weeks - Reuters - October 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin gains, ether, cardano slip. Latest rates here - Mint - October 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Ethereum Weekly Technical Analysis October 4th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - October 4th, 2021
- Visa's New Payment System Will Accept Everything From Bitcoin to Dollars - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021
- New Rules Could Affect Robinhood and Bitcoin Traders. Here's What You Need to Know - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021
- Engiven, Inc. Facilitates $10 Million Dollar Bitcoin Donation, One of the Largest in History - KKTV 11 News - October 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin: What I Hate, Love, and Fear About the Cryptocurrency - Gadgets 360 - October 4th, 2021
- How to Use Twitter's New Bitcoin Tipping Feature - Gadgets 360 - October 4th, 2021
- New Zealand Launched Its First Bitcoin-Only Investment Fund - CryptoPotato - October 4th, 2021
- Crypto price outlook: Bitcoin and ether could hit record highs by year-end - Markets Insider - October 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin retakes $47,000 in broad crypto rally as anxiety eases over regulation - Yahoo Finance - October 2nd, 2021
- The true difference between bitcoin and ethereum, according to Grayscales CEO - Yahoo Finance - October 2nd, 2021