The Mythbuster Series will be an ongoing project where topics of mass confusion are highlighted, broken down and explained in laymans terms. If you have a Bitcoin topic you would like clarified, send me a direct message on twitter or telegram @kurtwuckertjr, and I will add it to my own personal mempool.
Is BSV the real Bitcoin?
The problem with the establishment of real is the need for a fundamental understanding of facts and truths. Industries and governments create standards organizations or regulatory bodies to establish what is real, while churches form governance organizations and hold theological councils. Groups of artistic fandoms form social groups to discuss and maintain the canon of things like books, comics and movies, but in Bitcoin, there is a malaise of conflicting views on the establishment of standards for defining the precepts of Bitcoin. The problem is that if Bitcoin is not defined by foundational principles, then it is completely beholden to an ever-changing social narrativedefined by the The Hegelian Dialectic.
Foundational definitions of Bitcoin start with the Bitcoin whitepaper as the source of truth, but the whitepaper does not specify a number of crucial basicsfor example, the 21 million unit supply cap or the block size limit. The hard coded supply of Bitcoin was first given to the world in the original implementation of the mining software, which had no block size limit at all! The original implementation gave us Satoshis practical guidance on the whitepaper and the nuances of Bitcoins unique economic model. Between the whitepaper and the first implementation, most questions are actually answered, including how to define Bitcoin in the event of two competing chains:
The majority decision is represented by the longest chain, which has the greatest proof-of-work effort invested in it. If a majority of CPU power is controlled by honest nodes, the honest chain will grow the fastest and outpace any competing chains. Bitcoin: A Peer to Peer Electronic Cash System. Section 4.
However, we are given no guidance on what happens when dishonest nodes stage a coup dtat to control the longest chain while honest nodes scramble to defend the rules of Bitcoin. In August 2017, honest nodes split the UTXO set with replay protection to protect Bitcoin from what I call The Raspberry Revolt, and Bitcoin has been in uncharted and contested waters ever since.
When there are two or more valid versions of Bitcoin that cant directly orphan and reorganize one another, how do we define anything? Do we default to foundational principles? Do we look at who has the most proof of work? Do we follow the longest chain? What if the most proof of work removed the supply cap of Bitcoin?
There are so many variables, that it might make sense not to ask whether BSV is Bitcoin, because of the lack of understanding about governing authority, but rather to take a step back and consider an analogy.
Wheres the beef?
Let us reframe the debate to a theoretical shakeup in the McDonalds fast food corporation, for a less contentious example.
Imagine McDonalds started refusing to build big enough stores to suit their volume. What if they eliminated drive-through windows, and decided to cook everything from scratch using a completely new service model and supply chain? To mitigate the problems created by their inefficient practices, assume they also decided to use third-party delivery drivers (still in beta) and not let anyone in the store who cannot afford to spend a mandated minimum. They do this to avoid wasting time on customers who take up valuable dining space only to use the dollar menu. Then, McDonalds traffic drops, but the company begins to praise low congestion because they are excited not to be stressing existing infrastructure.
Out of the ensuing chaos, a bunch of former store managers, business partners, the former head chef, some longtime customers, and fans of the McDonalds brand decide to return to the original path, keep the successful recipes and follow the time-tested business model that made them successful in the first place. They make a company called McDonalds Classic Vision and advertise that there is still somewhere you can get a real Big Mac for fast and cheap in accordance with the original vision of McDonalds.
McDonalds Inc gets really mad and starts calling McDonalds Classic Vision a scam because they are not the real McDonalds. They begin clamoring that McDonalds Classic Vision is confusing people, and making people think there is something wrong with their new McDonalds which retains the oldest brand name and history of corporate documentation. Tired of the confusion, some customers move to Burger King and Wendys who basically just forked the McDonalds business model and changed a couple of superfluous things to start up competing burger chains.
McDonalds Classic Vision continues to follow the original recipes with simple, scalable business practices even though they are the smaller competitor. While the shakeup caused a lot of issues, and gave other competitors some opportunities to rise up, a significant number of people still just want the original Big Mac for fast and cheap. In the short term, most people trust that all of the changes that McDonalds Inc has made are ultimately for the best in the long run because it is easier to open new franchises as long as infrastructural requirements stay low. But dominance is starting to shift over to McDonalds Classic Vision because people are realizing that a complete reengineering of what made McDonalds great in the first place is irresponsible and unnecessary.
Which one is the real McDonalds? The one that keeps the old logo? Or the one that keeps the old recipes, supply chains and business model?
The fact is that the conversation is complex, and there are lots of variables to consider, but establishing your presuppositions is a crucial starting point. You must decide which points are up for debate, and which points you believe fundamentally define bitcoin, and then act accordingly.
Have it your way
The Genesis protocol upgrade on February 4, 2020 is a monumental step in the history of Bitcoin, and will see BSV returned as close as possible to the original protocol as envisioned by Satoshi Nakamoto. Visit theGenesis Hard Fork pageto learn more.
To receive the latest CoinGeek.com news, special discounts on CoinGeek Conferences and other inside information direct to your inbox, pleasesign upfor our mailing list.
Is BSV the real Bitcoin? - CoinGeek
- Bitcoin Price Has Set $8.2K Floor, $100K Coming Before 2022 Analyst - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Roaring Toward $10,000 But Its Being Wrecked By These Other Cryptos - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes a Dive After the Longest Daily Winning Run Since September - Coindesk - February 11th, 2020
- The US government lost $1.7 billion by selling Bitcoin too early - The Next Web - February 11th, 2020
- A major crypto scams Bitcoin is moving and if history repeats, it may start a correction - CryptoSlate - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits $10,000 for the First Time in 2020 Up 40% YTD - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Where to Buy the Dip in Bitcoin [BTC] below $10k? Price Analysts Suggest - Coingape - February 11th, 2020
- Why Trump Should Unveil A U.S. Answer To Bitcoin To Rival Chinas Digital Yuan - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Drops Below $10,000, But If It Holds Here New 2020 Highs Might Come Very Soon - CryptoPotato - February 11th, 2020
- Binance Coin Rises on the Day Bitcoin Fails to Sustain above $10K - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Paranoia: The Neurosis of Private Key Safekeeping And Why We Need a New Paradigm - The Daily Hodl - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin hit three big milestones this week - Decrypt - February 11th, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Nears $10,000, Tron CEOs Warren Buffett Rendezvous, Ethereum DeFi Hits $1B - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Taxation Support Growing Industry Here are 5 Useful Cryptocurrency Tax Calculators - Bitcoin News - February 11th, 2020
- Bitmain, Ebang, Canaan, and MicroBT to Cement Control over Bitcoin Mining Market in... - Coinspeaker - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Continue Post-Rally Correction - Cryptonews - February 11th, 2020
- Exchange Deposits in Bitcoin Slide to Lowest Level in 3 Years - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoins Crucial Weekly Close Will Determine Whether It Enters a Real Bull Market - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Erased Over 45% of 2019 Sell-Off in Just 7 Weeks - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Stakes For Bitcoin Are Highest Since The 2017 Bubble - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- Is There Any Truth to the Tesla-Bitcoin Parallels? - CCN.com - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Jumps 17% Out of Nowhere - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Crypto Researcher Hasu Flags Attack That Could Bring 'Purge'-Style Mayhem to Bitcoin - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin logs best January performance in 7 years as value surges by nearly $40 billion - CNBC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Explodes as Rare Bull Signal Flashes For the First Time in 10 Months - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- How the Long Tail of the Coronavirus Might Slow Bitcoin's Hash Power Growth - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Meet the KFC Worker Who Ran a Bitcoin Drug Empire From His Attic - Bitcoinist - February 8th, 2020
- 'Stale' Block Reminds the Importance of Bitcoin Confirmations - Cryptonews - February 8th, 2020
- Bitfinex Bitcoin whale hints recent BTC rally to $9,850 is manipulated and unsustainable - CryptoSlate - February 8th, 2020
- Will Genesis upgrade signal the beginning of the Bitcoin financial powerhouse? - ZDNet - February 8th, 2020
- Dutch university pays $220K in Bitcoin to alleged Russian hackers - The Next Web - February 8th, 2020
- Lightning Labs Raises $10M Series A to Be the 'Visa' of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Changes His Take on Bitcoin (BTC) Is This Real? - U.Today - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Starts Convincing Rally To $10K After Short Term Correction: Here Are Key Hurdles - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- US Marshals Will Auction $40M in Bitcoin This Month - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Buy the Pump, Sell the Dump Does Momentum Investing Work in Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies to Near $9150 as Stocks Drop Over Coronavirus Fears - Coindesk - January 29th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Above $9K Today - Bitcoinist - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoins 15% Weekly Gain Could Send Ethereum Flying: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Hits $9,400 In Vertical Rally, But Its At Risk of A Violent Pullback For This Key Reason - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- A Massive 500 Bitcoin Sell Order Hits Binance For First Time in a While, Heres What It Means - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Breaks over $9,000 but Coronavirus Isn't the Only Influencing... - Coinspeaker - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Rejected Back Below $9000, Is a Retest Of Lows Up Next? - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- How profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020? - Coin Rivet - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin's next halving in May could send the currency to new all-time high - TechSpot - January 29th, 2020
- The Invisible Global Currency Thats 24 Times Bigger Than Bitcoin - Forbes - January 29th, 2020
- Hype Over Bitcoin (BTC) Halving Accelerating, Reports Cryptocurrency Analysis Firm Arcane Research - The Daily Hodl - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Predicted by Henry Ford 100 Years Ago - U.Today - January 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Infects Gold and Bitcoin: Both Assets Poised for Risk-Off Break Outs - CCN.com - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin in Midst of Powerful Breakout: How Far Will Prices Go Past $10,000? - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Risk-Return a Different Beast Compared to Amazon: Analyst - Cointelegraph - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com withdraws from Bitcoin Cash proposal to divert part of block rewards to dev fund - Yahoo Finance - January 29th, 2020
- BTC HODL Target Found? Almost 50% Say They Will Sell If Bitcoin Price Reaches $100,000 - CryptoPotato - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price-33 Expected to Make 'Extra Bullish' Move. CZ Says It's Time to Unfollow Bears - U.Today - January 29th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: Bitcoin moving on the razor edge - FXStreet - January 29th, 2020
- No, Bitcoin Gains Are Not Down To Fears Of Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Crypto Killed the Tax Man: Bitcoin Cash Escapes Hash War Over Mining Tax Grenade - CCN.com - January 29th, 2020
- $9,500 is Imminent For Bitcoin Despite 5% Intraday Gain: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Moves on Path to Money But Unit of Account a Long Way Off - Bitcoinist - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator That Called 2019 Bull Run Flashes Green Again - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - January 27th, 2020
- Different Type of Shakeout Trader Says Bitcoin Unlikely to Hit $6K - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Exchange LocalBitcoins - Forbes - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Likely to Aim for $8,900 If It Holds Above $8,500, Crypto Analyst Predicts - U.Today - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Surged to $8,950: Heres Why Analysts Expect a Bigger Price Explosion - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallied 230% Last Time This Signal Flashed, And Its Back Again - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Strong Bitcoin Rally Sparks Fears of a Virus-Driven Violent Recession - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- A Serious Bitcoin Correction to Occur if BTC Drops to This Level: Top Trader - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Tokyo Bitcoin theft duo arrested by police - Yahoo Finance - January 27th, 2020
- Top Bitcoin Benefits Naysayers Need to Know - Bitcoinist - January 27th, 2020
- Your Bitcoin (BTC) Should Be Seized to Pay for 'Climate Reparations,' Says Security Consultant - U.Today - January 27th, 2020
- Scarily Accurate Analyst Gives 4 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Wont Crash at $8,500 - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Elon Musk Reveals His True Opinion on Bitcoin and Crypto - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Nothing Special Bitcoin Slumps 6% on Coronavirus, Chinese New Year - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Bulls on their Marks above $8500, Analysts Point to the Last Stand for Bears - Coingape - January 27th, 2020
- Free Bitcoins: The Possibility to Waste Your Time and... - Coinspeaker - January 27th, 2020
- Renowned analysts comment on Bitcoin, Ethereum, and XRP as the uptrend resumes - CryptoSlate - January 27th, 2020
- Notes From the WEF: Oil-Producing Nations Want Dollar Alternatives, Just Not Bitcoin - Coindesk - January 27th, 2020
- HODL Strong: Over Half of The Bitcoin Supply Hasnt Moved in Over a Year - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020