Lightning Labs has raised $10 million in Series A financing as it gears up to launch its first paid service for merchants looking to accept bitcoin payments.
Craft Ventures led the round, with Managing Director Brian Murray joining Lightning Labs board of directors. Other investors include Slow Ventures, former Goldman Sachs co-head of securities David Heller, Avichal Garg of Electric Capital and Ribbit Capital.
The funding round suggests some investors see the San Francisco-based startup as one of the few protocol-oriented firms with a prospective business model.
If bitcoin is going to reach its potential as a viable global currency, its going to need to scale beyond the base layer, Murray said. Similar to how Visa relieves banks from handling all fiat currency traffic, Lightning relieves the base bitcoin chain from handing all transactions, thus bring more speed and fee efficiency to the network.
Stepping back, Lightning Labs released a beta version of the scaling solution LND in 2018 and previously raised $2.5 million in a seed round from investors including Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, Square executive Jacqueline Reses, litecoin creator Charlie Lee and former PayPal COO David Sacks. Lightning Labs also launched a mobile wallet app in June 2019, and as of today the company is offering a paid service called Lightning Loop.
Loop aims to help merchants manage their payment channels more effectively. Lightning payment channels need to have bitcoin in them in order to stay open, which is a problem for those who actually use these channels without a perfectly balanced in-and-out flow.
Loop in helps people put funds into their existing channel kind of like a prepaid debit card for a lightning account, Lightning Labs CEO Elizabeth Stark said. Loop out is currently the most popular product because it allows people to continue receiving funds on lightning.
This service, which will charge a small percentage of each full loop, helps merchants and exchanges maintain liquidity in the channels.
With nearly a dozen lightning startups sprouting up over the past two years, Stark said her startup will distinguish itself by becoming an infrastructure provider to other startups.
The first Lightning Conference in Berlin attracted 500 participants in 2019, so there may initially be a small pool of developers and service providers willing to pay for back-end support. The way I see it, there will be an aggregate of financial services, of which Loop is one, and you can batch all of those, Stark said. The blockchain becomes an anchor layer for other Layer 2 services on lightning.
One example might include the shopping app Fold, which processed roughly 1,600 lightning payments during the 2019 holiday shopping season.
"Were growing fast and Lightning Labs loop service makes it simple to manage our lightning nodes liquidity, letting our team focus on building out great user experiences that bring lightning to the world," Fold's Will Reeves told CoinDesk.
Beyond Loop, Stark said her startup will focus on options for larger payment channels in 2020, both opt-in channels that can individually hold more than $1,500 and Atomic Multi-Path Payments, which break payments into smaller parts and are able to return the whole amount if all the small parts dont promptly arrive at the same recipient.
River Financial CEO Alexander Leishman said his exchange startup, which uses LND to offer users lightning liquidity and trading functions, said Lightning Labs and ACINQ are the only two startups in the space focused on the nitty gritty of protocol development.
If it allows us to support larger amounts [of bitcoin] off-chain, it improves the experience for our users. Weve already had users that are frustrated with the [Lightning Networks] limits, Leishman said. Services that would make [lightning transactions] easy for us are definitely of interest.
Stark, who is an adviser to Leishmans exchange, said her goal for Lightning Labs is to enable automated services so the network will just work without clients needing to tamper with channel allocation and flows. The peer-to-peer messaging app Sphinx also uses LND, which Murray said is only possible because of what Lightning Labs is building.
Lightning Labs is building the channels for bitcoin to fulfill its promise as a medium of exchange, a means of micropayment, as remittance infrastructure, and much more," investor Jill Carlson of Slow Ventures said in a press release.
Murray agreed, adding he strongly believes the infrastructure behind popular mobile apps will take a different shape over the next decade because it will enable direct payments between peers instead of reliance on a third-party provider that monetizes user data.
In the meantime, Stark is optimistically curious about the ability to send small amounts of data and have payments attached to them.
Speaking more broadly of the batched services Lightning Labs will offer by this time in 2021, she concluded: These are lightning-native financial services that help improve the network.
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
- Bitcoins Huge Surge This Week Could Be The Tip Of The Iceberg As Investors Recall 2017 Gold Rush - Forbes - April 5th, 2020
- The Price Of Gold And The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - April 5th, 2020
- Billionaire Optimistic on Bitcoin as a Flight to Safety - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoins Hedging Performance in the Wake of the Coronavirus Outbreak - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Flips Bullish But Heres Why BTC Price May Still Hit $3.9K - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Showing Signs of Weakness But 100 SMA Can Trigger New Rally - newsBTC - April 5th, 2020
- Xapo moves $633 million Bitcoin for less than a pint of milk - Decrypt - April 5th, 2020
- Tidal Wave of Lawsuits Accuse Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Companies of Selling Unregistered Securities - The Daily Hodl - April 5th, 2020
- Here is why Bitcoin price is likely to be bullish - Cryptopolitan - April 5th, 2020
- Indians Own Bitcoin and Crypto Because Banks Are Incompetent: Survey - Coingape - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Is Doing Just Fine Compared to S&P 500 During COVID-19 Crisis. This Chart Shows Why - U.Today - April 5th, 2020
- Just One Major Cryptocurrency Is Outperforming Bitcoin Right Now And Its Climbing Fast - Forbes - April 3rd, 2020
- Ether-Bitcoin Price Volatility Spread Hits 4-Month Low - CoinDesk - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin on the brink of major bullish breakout - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- $8.5K Then $3K This Traders Bitcoin Price Call Is Playing Out - Cointelegraph - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Fires 50% of Staff Ahead of BCH Halving - Bitcoinist - April 3rd, 2020
- Pressure Test That Signaled Bitcoin (BTC) Bull Run Flashing As Ethereum and XRP Hit Crucial Lines of Resistance - The Daily Hodl - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Targets $7,600 with Chance to Hit $8,900 Later - U.Today - April 3rd, 2020
- How COVID-19 Is Changing Narratives From Bitcoin to DeFi - CoinDesk - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin's Safe-Haven Status Is Not Dead as Correlation to Gold Reaches New Highs: Report - U.Today - April 3rd, 2020
- Darknet and Bitcoin: Ominous trends affected by COVID-19? - Cryptopolitan - April 3rd, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies advance as Bitcoin was rejected at the $7.200 level - FXStreet - April 3rd, 2020
- CoinShares Strategist Meltem Demirors Issues Warning About Digital Dollar Its Everything Bitcoin Is Not - The Daily Hodl - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Climbs More Than 15% As Investors Flock To Safety - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Briefly Tops $7K as Traders Say Worst of 2020 Selloff May Have Passed - CoinDesk - April 2nd, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoin Price Just Spiked to $7.3K, Liquidating $90M - Cointelegraph - April 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Traders See Bitcoin (But Not Ethereum) Surging To All-Time Highs In 2020Heres Why - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Closes Q1 With Historic Darth Maul Candle: Heres What it Means - newsBTC - April 2nd, 2020
- Could Coronavirus Kill the Bitcoin Mining Industry? - Finance Magnates - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Surges 9% And Will Set Up A Strong Rally IF We Can Close Above This Pattern - Coingape - April 2nd, 2020
- Revolut brings Bitcoin to all of its 7 million users - Decrypt - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Stuck In Bearish Trend As The New Month Begins - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes Tumble, Traders Fret Correlation and Next Month's Halving - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- A Bitcoin Bastion In The Wild West - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Bros Are Directing Their Powerful Computers Toward Coronavirus COVID-19 Research - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Massive $633 Million Bitcoin (BTC) Transaction Triggers Crypto Whale Alert - The Daily Hodl - April 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies price prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum & Litecoin - American Wrap - 01 April - FXStreet - April 1st, 2020
- Can Bitcoin Survive the Climate Change Revolution? - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Follows Stock Markets Higher; How Long Will They Move in Lockstep? - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins on the Move Is BTC Price Inversely Correlated to Mempool Size? - Cointelegraph - April 1st, 2020
- Here's how much bitcoin beat the Dow and S&P 500 in the first quarter - CNBC - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Holding Crucial Support: Heres What Could Propel it to $7K - newsBTC - April 1st, 2020
- Is Now the Time to Invest in Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - April 1st, 2020
- This Crisis Is Good For Bitcoin, But Beware of Recession - Luno CEO - Cryptonews - April 1st, 2020
- Top Three Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin bears take control while Ethereum and Ripple still remains in the green - FXStreet - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Ascends on Twitter While Major Altcoins Hit Multi-Year Lows - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is a Safe Haven for a Worse Storm Than This - CoinDesk - March 27th, 2020
- Japanese Investors Rushed To Buy The Dip After Bitcoin Bloodbath - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin community responds to FDIC warning on bank run - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals Visa Debit Card in Push to Bring Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Payments Worldwide - The Daily Hodl - March 27th, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- How would a US recession affect Bitcoin? - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Are Miners Waiting for Bitcoin to Hit Breakeven Point? - Cryptonews - March 27th, 2020
- Feds Unlimited QE Places Spotlight on Bitcoin Store-of-Value Narrative - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Vitalik Proposes Solution to 'Embarrassing' Lack of BitcoinEthereum Bridge - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will "Come Of Age" During This Crisis: Top Investor Explains Why - Blockonomi - March 27th, 2020
- Algorithmic Crypto Art Changes Appearance to Reflect Bitcoin Volatility - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Heres How To Predict Major Moves In The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Reversed and Its Vulnerable To A Drop Towards $5,200 - newsBTC - March 23rd, 2020
- Did BTC Miners Crash Bitcoin Price With 51 Days Before the Halving? - Cointelegraph - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Bitcoin Steady Above $6,000, But Is It The Calm Before The Storm? - CryptoPotato - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Highly Correlated With HYG And IWM ETFs As Contagion Effect From Coronavirus Epidemic Spreads Across All Asset Classes - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: A sea of red returns as weekend love disappears - FXStreet - March 23rd, 2020
- Tezos Foundation Offloaded Millions of Dollars Worth of Bitcoin in 2019: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 23rd, 2020
- The Internet May Be Next Victim of Coronavirus Pandemic Netflix, Google, Apple and Amazon React - Bitcoin News - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price (BTCUSD) is Off to a Bullish Start; Can It Sustain Gains Above $5,900.00? - InvestingCube - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Might Drop Beneath $4,800 Again If It Breaks THIS Short Term Trend Line - Coingape - March 21st, 2020
- Top 3 Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple consolidate their price following as bulls and bears wrestle for control - Confluence... - March 21st, 2020
- A factor that predicted the Bitcoin crash in 2018 suggests bullish action is ahead - CryptoSlate - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin's Difficulty on Track for Historic Drop, but There Is Silver Lining - U.Today - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin ranked on top 100 greatest designs of all time - Decrypt - March 21st, 2020
- The Puell Multiple Is Turning Bullish on Bitcoin - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Fast Approaching $7,000Heres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Contrary To Popular Belief, Bitcoin Isn't Consistently Correlated To Anything - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoins Magic Is Fading, And Thats A Good Thing - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Leaves Stocks In The Dust - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus is forcing fans of Bitcoin to realize its not a safe haven after all - MIT Technology Review - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Back In Free Fall And Dropping FastHeres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Top Analyst Explains Why Bitcoin Price is Up 78% amid Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- A Treatise on Bitcoin and Privacy Part 2: Dont Be Misled by Red Herrings - Nasdaq - March 20th, 2020