This week saw Bitcoin price (BTC) hitting the $9,000 barrier amid the launch of CME Bitcoin options and Plaids acquisition by Visa, reaching a record price for the last two months.
Bitcoins 27% price gain since the beginning of the year along with the future bullish scenarios laid down by investors may attract new crypto holders. But since BTC/USD is traded 24/7, new investors may be wondering: is there a difference between investing on a particular day of the week?
Figure 1. Crypto market data, 1-day performance. Source: Coin360
The basis of a difference in a day of a week returns comes from traditional stock markets. It has been shown that stock returns on Mondays are, on average, negative. This is called the Weekend Effect. One explanation is that the effects on a particular stock will only be felt on Monday since the market is closed during the weekend. However, the cryptocurrency market is always open: Could we expect the same behavior on Mondays for Bitcoin?
Analyzing Bitcoin returns from the beginning of 2019 until Jan. 13, 2020, data shows that Fridays present the highest average return across the days of the week at 1.1%. In contrast, only two days of the week show negatively average returns, Tuesday (-0.24%) and Thursday (-0.97%).
If an investor only started investing at the start of 2019 on a particular day of the week, Friday would present the best cumulative return, followed by Monday (Figure 2). Taking Fridays as an example, its assumed that the strategy would be to buy BTC closing price on Thursdays and sell it at the closing price on Fridays.
The closing prices (UTC timezone, a rolling 24-hour period) are used for simplicity reasons since the desired time to buy and sell during those days is based on the investors preference. The same buy/sell rationale applies if another day of the week is chosen to conduct the strategy (i.e. Monday).
Figure 2: Cumulative Return for investing on a specific day only between January 2019 and January 2020
Taking a deeper look at Bitcoin returns for a longer time period, as seen from Figure 3, we can conclude that Mondays offer the best average return from all the days of the week (0.54%).
On the other hand, Thursday and Wednesday are the worst days of the week to invest in Bitcoin with an average return of -0.09% and -0.23%, respectively.
Bitcoins Monday anomaly case is reinforced from a statistical perspective since Monday is the only day of the week with a statistically significant result from the used regression models.
Curiously, as a truly anti-status quo coin, Bitcoin shows a mean positive return on Mondays, in contrast to traditional stock markets Weekend Effect.
Figure 3: Average Daily Return for each Day of the Week between April 2013 and January 2020.
Using the same long-term sample starting in April 2013, an investor choosing exclusively one day of the week as a strategy would get the best option by choosing Mondays, followed by Saturdays, as seen from Figure 4.
Figure 4: Cumulative Return for specific day investment during the entire sample analyzed (Between April 2013 and January 2020)
We cannot ignore Bitcoins explosive gains from two highly volatile periods seen in 2017 and how those influence the average returns for the longer time sample. By isolating that year, we find that Monday still shows the highest average return (1.5%) across the days of the week, followed by Thursday (0.55%).
Figure 5: Average Daily Return for each Day of the Week between during 2017
In summary, Bitcoins unique features reveal an opposite behavior to traditional stock markets, showing a positive average return on Mondays when considering wider time periods. However, when dealing with shorter time frames, we identify Fridays as the day with the highest average returns across the days of the week.
As reported by Cointelegraph, a study in September 2019 showed that Bitcoin holders make a profit after an average of 1,335 days, or roughly three years and eight months. Overall, holding BTC has been profitable for over 94% of days Bitcoin has existed, according to the latest data from Bitcoin Hodl Calculator.
The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cointelegraph. Every investment and trading move involves risk. You should conduct your own research when making a decision.
- Bitcoin Bulls Back in the Driving Seat as Price Crosses $10K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- The U.S. Is Very Worried About BitcoinAnd Its Finally Doing Something About It - Forbes - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Ready to Explode, According to This Key Metric - CCN.com - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Running a Bitcoin Node Is Easier Than You Think - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin to See a Massive Trend-Defining Movement Because of This Simple Pattern - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Zooms Past $10,200 But Are We Really Done With The Downside? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Things You Need To Be A Successful Bitcoin HODLer - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Forms Key Bullish Pattern That Doubled BTCs Value; Possible Run To $20K? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- Real Bitcoin volume is exploding as seen in Bakkt, fueling the crypto rally - CryptoSlate - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin back to $10K Proves the Bulls Still in Command - FXStreet - February 19th, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoin Bulls Need To Be Very Careful Here: A Big Pullback Is Still Possible - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Is Used by Activists and Refugees to Promote Human Rights - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- Here's how bitcoin gets to $12,000 - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Tron CEO Failed to Convince Warren Buffet on the Merits of Bitcoin - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Jimmy Nguyen discusses future of sports with Bitcoin SV - CoinGeek - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin is coming to Ethereum, again - Decrypt - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Optech Is Connecting the Open-Source and Corporate Worlds - Bitcoin Magazine - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Has Set $8.2K Floor, $100K Coming Before 2022 Analyst - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Roaring Toward $10,000 But Its Being Wrecked By These Other Cryptos - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes a Dive After the Longest Daily Winning Run Since September - Coindesk - February 11th, 2020
- The US government lost $1.7 billion by selling Bitcoin too early - The Next Web - February 11th, 2020
- A major crypto scams Bitcoin is moving and if history repeats, it may start a correction - CryptoSlate - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits $10,000 for the First Time in 2020 Up 40% YTD - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Where to Buy the Dip in Bitcoin [BTC] below $10k? Price Analysts Suggest - Coingape - February 11th, 2020
- Why Trump Should Unveil A U.S. Answer To Bitcoin To Rival Chinas Digital Yuan - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Drops Below $10,000, But If It Holds Here New 2020 Highs Might Come Very Soon - CryptoPotato - February 11th, 2020
- Binance Coin Rises on the Day Bitcoin Fails to Sustain above $10K - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Paranoia: The Neurosis of Private Key Safekeeping And Why We Need a New Paradigm - The Daily Hodl - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin hit three big milestones this week - Decrypt - February 11th, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Nears $10,000, Tron CEOs Warren Buffett Rendezvous, Ethereum DeFi Hits $1B - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Taxation Support Growing Industry Here are 5 Useful Cryptocurrency Tax Calculators - Bitcoin News - February 11th, 2020
- Bitmain, Ebang, Canaan, and MicroBT to Cement Control over Bitcoin Mining Market in... - Coinspeaker - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Continue Post-Rally Correction - Cryptonews - February 11th, 2020
- Exchange Deposits in Bitcoin Slide to Lowest Level in 3 Years - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoins Crucial Weekly Close Will Determine Whether It Enters a Real Bull Market - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Erased Over 45% of 2019 Sell-Off in Just 7 Weeks - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Stakes For Bitcoin Are Highest Since The 2017 Bubble - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- Is There Any Truth to the Tesla-Bitcoin Parallels? - CCN.com - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Jumps 17% Out of Nowhere - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Crypto Researcher Hasu Flags Attack That Could Bring 'Purge'-Style Mayhem to Bitcoin - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin logs best January performance in 7 years as value surges by nearly $40 billion - CNBC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Explodes as Rare Bull Signal Flashes For the First Time in 10 Months - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- How the Long Tail of the Coronavirus Might Slow Bitcoin's Hash Power Growth - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Meet the KFC Worker Who Ran a Bitcoin Drug Empire From His Attic - Bitcoinist - February 8th, 2020
- 'Stale' Block Reminds the Importance of Bitcoin Confirmations - Cryptonews - February 8th, 2020
- Bitfinex Bitcoin whale hints recent BTC rally to $9,850 is manipulated and unsustainable - CryptoSlate - February 8th, 2020
- Will Genesis upgrade signal the beginning of the Bitcoin financial powerhouse? - ZDNet - February 8th, 2020
- Dutch university pays $220K in Bitcoin to alleged Russian hackers - The Next Web - February 8th, 2020
- Lightning Labs Raises $10M Series A to Be the 'Visa' of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Changes His Take on Bitcoin (BTC) Is This Real? - U.Today - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Starts Convincing Rally To $10K After Short Term Correction: Here Are Key Hurdles - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- US Marshals Will Auction $40M in Bitcoin This Month - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Buy the Pump, Sell the Dump Does Momentum Investing Work in Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies to Near $9150 as Stocks Drop Over Coronavirus Fears - Coindesk - January 29th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Above $9K Today - Bitcoinist - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoins 15% Weekly Gain Could Send Ethereum Flying: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Hits $9,400 In Vertical Rally, But Its At Risk of A Violent Pullback For This Key Reason - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- A Massive 500 Bitcoin Sell Order Hits Binance For First Time in a While, Heres What It Means - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Breaks over $9,000 but Coronavirus Isn't the Only Influencing... - Coinspeaker - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Rejected Back Below $9000, Is a Retest Of Lows Up Next? - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- How profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020? - Coin Rivet - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin's next halving in May could send the currency to new all-time high - TechSpot - January 29th, 2020
- The Invisible Global Currency Thats 24 Times Bigger Than Bitcoin - Forbes - January 29th, 2020
- Hype Over Bitcoin (BTC) Halving Accelerating, Reports Cryptocurrency Analysis Firm Arcane Research - The Daily Hodl - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Predicted by Henry Ford 100 Years Ago - U.Today - January 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Infects Gold and Bitcoin: Both Assets Poised for Risk-Off Break Outs - CCN.com - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin in Midst of Powerful Breakout: How Far Will Prices Go Past $10,000? - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Risk-Return a Different Beast Compared to Amazon: Analyst - Cointelegraph - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com withdraws from Bitcoin Cash proposal to divert part of block rewards to dev fund - Yahoo Finance - January 29th, 2020
- BTC HODL Target Found? Almost 50% Say They Will Sell If Bitcoin Price Reaches $100,000 - CryptoPotato - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price-33 Expected to Make 'Extra Bullish' Move. CZ Says It's Time to Unfollow Bears - U.Today - January 29th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: Bitcoin moving on the razor edge - FXStreet - January 29th, 2020
- No, Bitcoin Gains Are Not Down To Fears Of Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Crypto Killed the Tax Man: Bitcoin Cash Escapes Hash War Over Mining Tax Grenade - CCN.com - January 29th, 2020
- $9,500 is Imminent For Bitcoin Despite 5% Intraday Gain: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Moves on Path to Money But Unit of Account a Long Way Off - Bitcoinist - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator That Called 2019 Bull Run Flashes Green Again - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - January 27th, 2020
- Different Type of Shakeout Trader Says Bitcoin Unlikely to Hit $6K - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020