Bitcoins price has been up dramatically since the very day popular exchange OKEx announced the suspension of all crypto withdrawal service on its platform. However, while some tie the two together, many market observers do not see a reason to associate the latest price rally with OKExs issues.
Bitcoin's latest rally came after OKEx's suspension on all crypto withdrawal.
While the price of bitcoin gained significantly since the market sell-off in March, the most recent bullish run began just as OKEx said it suspended all crypto withdrawals because one of its key holders has been out of touch.
However, the suspension of withdrawals on OKEx had little impact on bitcoins price over the past month, said Ki Young Ju, chief executive officer of CryptoQuant.
BTCs price on OKEx is not that different from other exchanges, he said. [P]eople can trade their BTC on OKEx despite the withdrawal suspension.
The Malta-based crypto exchange still remains the No. 1 position for bitcoin futures open interest, currently worth $1.22 billion, according to data source Skew.
OKEx said Thursday it will resume withdrawal service as soon as this week, after founder Mingxing Star Xu was said to have been released from police custody in China. Jay Hao, chief executive officer of OKEx, told CoinDesk its high open interest is a positive indicator for his company.
These are encouraging signs that confidence in the exchange remains high and I believe that even if some users decide to withdraw their funds [as soon as withdrawals are open], which is their total and absolute right, they will soon come back to OKEx, Hao said through a spokesperson on Telegram.
Bitcoins volume from miners to OKEx has also dropped to almost zero since the news came out, as data from Glassnode show.
The muted bitcoin transfer volume from miners to OKEx, whose users are largely Chinese, is in line with the argument that the price surge is partly due to drying up in supply. Miners in China are struggling to turn their bitcoin into cash because of a government crackdown on Chinese exchanges.
Darius Sit, founder of Singapore-based trading firm QCP, connects the situation for miners in China with the market, telling CoinDesk that instead of going to other platforms, miners may have been holding on to their bitcoins as prices continue to climb, causing a tightened bitcoin supply.
Yet, others have largely disagreed with such contentions, saying the supply of bitcoin affected by OKExs withdrawal suspension is relatively small.
As a class, miners arent that large a group of sellers, Ryan Watkins, bitcoin analyst at Messari, told CoinDesk in a Telegram message. [They are] definitely not enough to drive the price up as high as it is.
Instead, Watkins pointed out the recent bitcoin rally is mostly driven by the demand side, as institutional investors in North America have been buying bitcoin in large amounts.
The perfect timing of OKExs suspension and the price rally could be purely coincidental, Watkins added.
Data from Chainalysis also indicate that after mining pools stopped sending bitcoin to OKEx, their newly minted cryptocurrency instead flowed to Binance and Huobi, both of which are also widely used in China.
Binance, Huobi and OKEx in total received 46% of bitcoin sent to exchanges from mining pools in the past 12 months, according to a Nov. 12 report from Chainalysis.
Colin Wu, a journalist based in China who first reported the Chinese miners selling problem in his blog, told CoinDesk in a WeChat message that Western media outlets have largely exaggerated what he wrote, saying the difficulties Chinese miners have had selling bitcoin should have had a minor impact on the recent price rally.
The misunderstanding is that Chinese miners stopped selling coins and caused bitcoin to rise, which is illogical, Wu wrote in a tweet thread. They did not stop selling coins. It was just a little troublesome and the number of miners in China has been decreasing. Miners are moving to the United States and Kazakhstan.
- $150 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours as bitcoin pulls back - CNBC - January 12th, 2021
- What is bitcoin and why are so many people looking to buy it? - The Guardian - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin plunges more than 20% in three days. It's now in a bear market - CNN - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Bull Run: OGs on Why This Ones Different - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Plunges More Than 25%, Which Is Bad News For These Stocks Today - Motley Fool - January 12th, 2021
- From tech to bitcoin, long-time bull Ed Yardeni worries a meltdown will strike the market - CNBC - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Tumbling Because Regulators Are Paying Attention - Barron's - January 12th, 2021
- Oil and bitcoin rise, but US small business optimism slides business live - The Guardian - January 12th, 2021
- Insider Q&A: Bitcoin's massive rise and what comes next - ABC News - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Stellars Lumen Weekly Technical Analysis January 11th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2021
- Sleeping Bitcoins Worth $40 Million Move- Mystery Miner Spends Another 1,000 BTC From 2010 Block Rewards | News - Bitcoin News - January 12th, 2021
- Future FinTech's mBTC System and Technology Allows Consumers to Use Bitcoin as An Online Payment Method - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin's wild rally and a fear of missing out has retail investors flocking to crypto - CNBC - January 10th, 2021
- The case for and against investing in Bitcoin - Livemint - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin tops $40,000 as investors seek hedge against inflation - The Guardian - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin's parabolic price surge near $42,000 is the 'mother of all bubbles' - MarketWatch - January 10th, 2021
- This Bitcoin Ransomware Rakes in $150 Million in BTC | Security Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2021
- The price movement in Bitcoin is textbook: Fundstrat Global Advisors' Tom Lee - Yahoo Finance - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin hits fresh record high near $42,000, climbing 40% so far this year - CNBC - January 8th, 2021
- Bill Miller says bitcoin becomes less risky the higher the price goes - CNBC - January 8th, 2021
- The 2021 Outlook for Bitcoin Prices, Adoption and Risks - Kiplinger's Personal Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Why Is Bitcoin Going Up, and Will It Crash Soon? What's Next as Price Doubles to $40K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin rally may be the 'mother of all bubbles' says BofA - CNN - January 8th, 2021
- Treasury Signals Intention To Make Cryptocurrency Like Bitcoin Reportable On FBAR - Forbes - January 8th, 2021
- How bitcoin narratives have evolved to fuel current price surge - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin advocates revolt against the Trump administrations frantic crypto regulations - TechCrunch - January 8th, 2021
- Expected Rise in Ether-Bitcoin Volatility Points to Altcoin Season Ahead: Analyst - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Finland Pushes to Sell Tainted Trove of Bitcoins Worth Tens of Millions - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin's record rise near $36,000 mints another $1 billion 'mining' company - MarketWatch - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin is surging to record highs on 'FOMO' and Joe Biden stimulus bets - ABC News - January 8th, 2021
- Is the financial establishment coming round to bitcoin? - The Economist - January 8th, 2021
- How to add Bitcoin to your Isa and profit tax-free - Telegraph.co.uk - January 8th, 2021
- Explained: How bitcoin investments can be taxed in India? - CNBCTV18 - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin Tops $35,000 for Fresh Record as Wild Swings Resume - Bloomberg - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Sets New All-Time High Above $35K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin is breaking records because bigger investors are buying it now, says PwC - CNBC - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices could really go haywire if this happens in 2021 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Why Ive Changed My Mind on Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Surges Into 2021, Rose Nearly 20% Over Weekend - The Wall Street Journal - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Surges to Record High on its 12th Anniversary - GlobeNewswire - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin will make you poor! Heres how Id invest in 2021 to create passive income for life - Yahoo Finance UK - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin tops $35,000 for fresh records as wild swings resume - Economic Times - January 6th, 2021
- Grayscale Sells XRP to Buy Bitcoin and Ethereum - Finance Magnates - January 6th, 2021
- Morning Bell With Jim Cramer: Time to Buy Bitcoin? - TheStreet - January 6th, 2021
- Daily Chart - The price of bitcoin has soared to record heights | Graphic detail - The Economist - January 6th, 2021
- Forget gold and Bitcoin. Id follow Warren Buffetts advice in 2021 - Yahoo Finance UK - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin crosses $34,000 first time in 12 years, rises $5,000 in 3 days - Business Today - January 6th, 2021
- Binance US CEO Catherine Coley explains the surge in Bitcoin value - KTLA - January 6th, 2021
- Stocks and bitcoin are massive bubbles, long-time bear David Rosenberg warns - CNBC - January 6th, 2021
- Billions in lost Bitcoin: the buried treasure that people can never get back : Planet Money - NPR - January 2nd, 2021
- 2021 Bitcoin Price Predictions: Is The Massive Bitcoin Bull Run About To Peak? - Forbes - January 2nd, 2021
- Forget the Bitcoin price! Heres how Id invest in the best shares now to make a million - Yahoo Finance UK - January 2nd, 2021
- With bitcoin ticking over $28,000, now might be a good time to give some of it to charity - CNBC - January 2nd, 2021
- Associate Professor of Finance on Bitcoin rally: Blockchain technology is real and effective - Yahoo Finance - January 2nd, 2021
- Russell Okung to become first NFL player paid in Bitcoin - Local 5 - weareiowa.com - January 2nd, 2021
- Chart points to bitcoin peaking out in early 2021, trader says - CNBC - December 29th, 2020
- Petition Launched To Extend Comment Period On Cryptocurrency/Bitcoin Self-Custody Regulations - Forbes - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Jumped. Its Near a Record High. - Barron's - December 29th, 2020
- Why MicroStrategy and Other Bitcoin Stocks Soared Today - The Motley Fool - December 29th, 2020
- Deribit Adding Options to Allow Bitcoin Traders to Bet on Rally to $120K, $140K - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Centre may impose 18% GST on bitcoin trading - Business Today - December 29th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Called Bitcoin 'Rat Poison' Now It's Closing In On Berkshire Hathaway's Valuation - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin To 27K Projection? - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- CleanSpark to Discuss Bitcoin Mining Acquisition and Related Growth Opportunities - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Why bitcoin's blockbuster 2020 is different than the 2017 bubble - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Here's How Much Investing $1,000 In Bitcoin On Jan. 1, 2020 Would Be Worth Now - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices sky-rocketed 200% in 2020 but small investors should stay away: Here's why - Economic Times - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin is irrelevant and investors 'are going to weep' if regulators come down hard on crypto, says Kevin O'Leary - Business Insider - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Attracts Wave Of Private Investment As Leading Blockchain VC Raises New $120 Million Fund - Forbes - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoins Rally Has Already Outlasted 2017s Epic Run - The Wall Street Journal - December 24th, 2020
- The price of bitcoin is 'driven by manipulation': Nouriel Roubini - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2020
- Big investors new to cryptocurrencies appear to be behind bitcoin's rally to a record - CNBC - December 24th, 2020
- Real Estate Billionaire Sam Zell Skeptical of Bitcoin but Says 'It May Be the Answer or One of the Answers' | Featured - Bitcoin News - December 24th, 2020
- Here's Why I Won't Buy Bitcoin, and You Shouldn't, Either - Motley Fool - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin could see a 25%-30% sell-off in the new year, but it's still a long-term buy, trader says - CNBC - December 24th, 2020
- Treat Bitcoin like a punt, and not as an investment - Mint - December 24th, 2020
- Massive Bitcoin Gains Are Being Dwarfed By Ripples XRP, Litecoin, Ethereum And These Minor Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - December 24th, 2020
- Why Stocks of Bitcoin Miners CleanSpark, Marathon, and Riot Blockchain Were Up Again Today - Motley Fool - December 24th, 2020
- Arent You Glad You Kept Your Bitcoin? Dont Sell It. - Forbes - December 14th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Falling, And What It Means - Forbes - December 14th, 2020