Bitcoin is better bid at press time and could maintain its recent upward trajectory despite a long-term bearish indicator making its first appearance in 19 months.
The top cryptocurrency rose to a two-month high of $8,580 during Tuesday's Asian trading hours and is currently trading at $8,480 indicating a 4.8 percent rise on a 24-hour basis, according to CoinDesk's Bitcoin Price Index.
Bitcoin is now up by more than 30 percent from the low of $6,425 reached in December 2019.
While the cryptocurrency is showing signs of life following the gloomy second half of 2019, a widely tracked technical indicator is about to flash a bearish signal.
The 50-candle average on the three-day chart is trending south and looks set to cross below the 100-candle average in the next few days. That would be the first bearish crossover of the two averages since June 2018.
However, moving averages are based on historical data and tend to lag prices. To put it another way, crossovers are the result of the price action that has already happened and have limited predictive powers.
While bitcoin did drop in the days leading up to and after the confirmation of the same bear cross in June 2018, the broader market conditions were bearish at the time, as seen below.
The 50- and 100-candle MAs produced a bear cross in the three days to June 21, 2018 (above left). Prices had fallen from $7,800 to $6,300 in the first two weeks of June and dropped further to lows below $5,800 by the end of the month.
A subsequent rise ended up creating a bearish lower high at $8,500 and prices remained below the 50-candle MA till April 2019.
It's worth noting that bitcoin had rallied by more than 1,300 percent in 2017 before falling by 50 percent in the first quarter of 2018. Essentially, the market had a hard landing after the staggering annual gain, and the bear cross likely gave traders a reason to unwind their long positions.
This time, however, the situation is very different. Bitcoin has recently broken out of a six-month falling channel, signaling a resumption of the rally from lows near $4,100 seen in April 2019 and opening doors for a re-test of October highs above $10,000.
Further, the breakout comes four months ahead of the mining reward halving a process that reduces the supply of bitcoin. Alex Benfield, data analyst at Digital Assets Data, told CoinDesk the event could bode well for prices.
Historically, bitcoin tends to hit a new market cycle top (the highest point from the preceding bear market low) in the calendar year of a halving, but before the event, according to popular analyst Rekt Capital.
So, the cryptocurrency could rise above the 2019 high of $13,880 ahead of the May 2020 halving.
All in all, the impending three-day chart bearish crossover should not be a cause for worry for the bulls.
4-hour and daily charts
The high-volume bounce from the ascending trendline on the 4-hour chart (above left) indicates the rally from the Jan. 3 low of $6,853 has resumed. Prices could challenge the 200-day average resistance at $9,097 (above right) in the next few days.
The daily chart (above right) also indicates the path of least resistance is to the higher side. For instance, the recent inverse head-and-shoulders breakout and the subsequent rise to two-month highs is telling a tale of a successful transition from a bearish-to-bullish setup.
The immediate bullish case would weaken if prices close (UTC) below $8,200 today. That level acted as strong resistance multiple times over the weekend.
A UTC close below the higher low of $7,667 created on June 10 is needed to confirm a short-term bearish reversal.
Disclosure: The author does not hold any cryptocurrencies.
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin's price rose 87% in 2019 here's what happened in Q4 - The Next Web - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Has Suddenly Soared, Pushing Bitcoin To A Fresh 2020 HighHeres Why - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Next Level - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin and major altcoins start the trip to the moon - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- US Judge Appoints Receiver To Oversee Butte Bitcoin Plant - MTPR - January 14th, 2020
- Adam Back: $10 Million Bitcoin Prediction Is Closer Than It Sounds - CCN.com - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Whale Alert: $1 Billion (0.7% Of Total Bitcoins) Just Transferred For $80 Fees - CryptoPotato - January 14th, 2020
- Former Coinbase VP: we moved billions of dollars into Bitcoin in large part because of Plaid - CryptoSlate - January 14th, 2020
- These Factors Suggest Bitcoin Cashs Recent Rally is Just Getting Started - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Higher levels to watch after the bullish run - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Is About To Repeat Its 2019 Rally? - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Officials with Butte Bitcoin company suing major investor - KPAX-TV - January 1st, 2020
- Ethereums Price Action is Similar to Bitcoins at $3,000: An Insane Rally is Imminent - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Yearly Candle Shows Failed Rally, Longest Wick on Record - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Etoro CEO Yoni Assia on Reaching 12 Million Users and Why Cryptos Are a Gateway to Stocks - Bitcoin News - January 1st, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2016 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Poised to Jump 40% Towards $10,000; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- The 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2015 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, despite its ups and downs, had a monster decade of growth - American Banker - December 31st, 2019
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2017 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price On Verge of Long-Term Doom; Heres Why - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Whats in Store for Bitcoin as the Year Draws to a Close - Market Realist - December 31st, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Likely to Gain Momentum After New Years - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, Ethereum are most profitable investments of the decade - Decrypt - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin to Benefit More from Trade War in 2020 than Halving - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- TronWallet Fires Away Updated Version with Bitcoin Transactions and TRX to BTC Swap Feature - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin in 2019: Positive BTC Performance Across the Board - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Alchemy: BTC Turns 100 Grams of Gold into Eight Tons - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Is Bitcoin Resilient Enough to Take on Cyber Threats in 2020? - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- This Bitcoin Halvening Could Be Drastically Different, According to Bloomberg Analyst - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin's Next Decade Will Be Shaped by Derivatives - Bitcoin News - December 31st, 2019
- Analyst Who Predicted Bitcoins Plunge Months Ago: Price to Top $20,000 By Early 2021 - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Is BSV the real Bitcoin? - CoinGeek - December 31st, 2019
- 2020 predictions for gold, bitcoin and other precious metals - Money Observer - December 31st, 2019
- Heres How to Prepare for Bitcoins Annual Birthday Bank Run - newsBTC - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD directionless ahead of New Year Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is the Only Asset Class in the World That Is Not Rallying: Peter Schiff - U.Today - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin mining mostly uses energy that otherwise wouldnt be spent - AMBCrypto - December 27th, 2019
- Early Bitcoin Adopter Throws Cold Water On Halving Narrative; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gained 8.9 Million Percent Over the Last Decade - Bitcoin News - December 26th, 2019
- As 2019 closes, a look back at what happened to the altcoin boom - TechCrunch - December 26th, 2019
- Corporations Need Bitcoin. They Just Don't Know It Yet - Coindesk - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Will Go Vertical In 2020, Spencer Bogart Says - Bitcoinist - December 26th, 2019
- 10 Best Performing Cryptos of 2019 Not Named Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - December 24th, 2019
- $7,700 to $7,300: Where Bitcoin Is Heading After Violent Rejection - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Sell-off in marijuana stocks reminds Tom Lee of bitcoin and the dotcom bubble - CNBC - December 24th, 2019
- Ripple Bears Advance Warning To Bitcoin And Ethereum Bulls - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin's rally gets traction, $8,000 within reach? - FXStreet - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Weekly Forecast: Is This Right Time To Buy BTC? - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Art Haus Ethereum Meets Bitcoin Financialization - CoinDesk - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gathering Momentum to Reach $8,000 - Crypto Briefing - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Could Be Better Investment Than Top Stocks in 2020s: Trader - U.Today - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Developer Throws Light on BTC's Upcoming Future - Bitcoinist - December 22nd, 2019
- Hanukkah Reflections on My Year of Toying With Bitcoin - Coindesk - December 22nd, 2019
- Bitcoin's Path From Insurgents Talisman to Tool of Big Tech - WIRED - December 22nd, 2019
- Ethereum transaction volume tops Bitcoin but does that matter? - Yahoo Finance - December 22nd, 2019
- The Bitcoin multi-year trendline will break, says renowned analyst - CryptoSlate - December 22nd, 2019
- Real Bitcoin Double Spends Are Hard, Looking Into Alleged Issue - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2019
- Bitcoin 's recovery attempt fails to free the price from the downside trend - FXStreet - December 22nd, 2019
- How to make a Bitcoin conversion - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Hit Its All-Time High in 2017. Here Comes New Competition. - Barron's - December 21st, 2019
- Did Bitcoin Bottom? The Positive Case And The Negative Case. - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Worth $3 Billion Expected to be Mined in 2020 - Bitcoinist - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash Accepted in Burger King as Crypto Adoption Spreads Wider - U.Today - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin History Part 22: The New Wealthy Elite - Bitcoin News - December 21st, 2019
- Heres What Burst Bitcoins $14,000 Yearly Top and May Lead it Even Lower - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin may revisit $7,400-$7,600 zone in the next 24 hours - AMBCrypto - December 21st, 2019
- MARKETS DAILY: Bullish Bitcoin Dreams and a 2019 to Remember - Coindesk - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Jumps 10%, But Bull Reversal Still $700 Away - Coindesk - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Reaches Fair Market Valuation, While Costs of Production Rise - newsBTC - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin And Crypto Market On The Edge: BCH, Litecoin, EOS, XLM Analysis - newsBTC - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD at crossroads, is it $8,000 or $6,000 Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin vs . Ethereum: Which Cryptocurrency Should You Invest In? - Robb Report - December 20th, 2019