Bitcoin is better bid at press time and could maintain its recent upward trajectory despite a long-term bearish indicator making its first appearance in 19 months.
The top cryptocurrency rose to a two-month high of $8,580 during Tuesday's Asian trading hours and is currently trading at $8,480 indicating a 4.8 percent rise on a 24-hour basis, according to CoinDesk's Bitcoin Price Index.
Bitcoin is now up by more than 30 percent from the low of $6,425 reached in December 2019.
While the cryptocurrency is showing signs of life following the gloomy second half of 2019, a widely tracked technical indicator is about to flash a bearish signal.
The 50-candle average on the three-day chart is trending south and looks set to cross below the 100-candle average in the next few days. That would be the first bearish crossover of the two averages since June 2018.
However, moving averages are based on historical data and tend to lag prices. To put it another way, crossovers are the result of the price action that has already happened and have limited predictive powers.
While bitcoin did drop in the days leading up to and after the confirmation of the same bear cross in June 2018, the broader market conditions were bearish at the time, as seen below.
The 50- and 100-candle MAs produced a bear cross in the three days to June 21, 2018 (above left). Prices had fallen from $7,800 to $6,300 in the first two weeks of June and dropped further to lows below $5,800 by the end of the month.
A subsequent rise ended up creating a bearish lower high at $8,500 and prices remained below the 50-candle MA till April 2019.
It's worth noting that bitcoin had rallied by more than 1,300 percent in 2017 before falling by 50 percent in the first quarter of 2018. Essentially, the market had a hard landing after the staggering annual gain, and the bear cross likely gave traders a reason to unwind their long positions.
This time, however, the situation is very different. Bitcoin has recently broken out of a six-month falling channel, signaling a resumption of the rally from lows near $4,100 seen in April 2019 and opening doors for a re-test of October highs above $10,000.
Further, the breakout comes four months ahead of the mining reward halving a process that reduces the supply of bitcoin. Alex Benfield, data analyst at Digital Assets Data, told CoinDesk the event could bode well for prices.
Historically, bitcoin tends to hit a new market cycle top (the highest point from the preceding bear market low) in the calendar year of a halving, but before the event, according to popular analyst Rekt Capital.
So, the cryptocurrency could rise above the 2019 high of $13,880 ahead of the May 2020 halving.
All in all, the impending three-day chart bearish crossover should not be a cause for worry for the bulls.
4-hour and daily charts
The high-volume bounce from the ascending trendline on the 4-hour chart (above left) indicates the rally from the Jan. 3 low of $6,853 has resumed. Prices could challenge the 200-day average resistance at $9,097 (above right) in the next few days.
The daily chart (above right) also indicates the path of least resistance is to the higher side. For instance, the recent inverse head-and-shoulders breakout and the subsequent rise to two-month highs is telling a tale of a successful transition from a bearish-to-bullish setup.
The immediate bullish case would weaken if prices close (UTC) below $8,200 today. That level acted as strong resistance multiple times over the weekend.
A UTC close below the higher low of $7,667 created on June 10 is needed to confirm a short-term bearish reversal.
Disclosure: The author does not hold any cryptocurrencies.
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
- Bitcoin Ascends on Twitter While Major Altcoins Hit Multi-Year Lows - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is a Safe Haven for a Worse Storm Than This - CoinDesk - March 27th, 2020
- Japanese Investors Rushed To Buy The Dip After Bitcoin Bloodbath - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin community responds to FDIC warning on bank run - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals Visa Debit Card in Push to Bring Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Payments Worldwide - The Daily Hodl - March 27th, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- How would a US recession affect Bitcoin? - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Are Miners Waiting for Bitcoin to Hit Breakeven Point? - Cryptonews - March 27th, 2020
- Feds Unlimited QE Places Spotlight on Bitcoin Store-of-Value Narrative - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Vitalik Proposes Solution to 'Embarrassing' Lack of BitcoinEthereum Bridge - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will "Come Of Age" During This Crisis: Top Investor Explains Why - Blockonomi - March 27th, 2020
- Algorithmic Crypto Art Changes Appearance to Reflect Bitcoin Volatility - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Heres How To Predict Major Moves In The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Reversed and Its Vulnerable To A Drop Towards $5,200 - newsBTC - March 23rd, 2020
- Did BTC Miners Crash Bitcoin Price With 51 Days Before the Halving? - Cointelegraph - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Bitcoin Steady Above $6,000, But Is It The Calm Before The Storm? - CryptoPotato - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Highly Correlated With HYG And IWM ETFs As Contagion Effect From Coronavirus Epidemic Spreads Across All Asset Classes - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: A sea of red returns as weekend love disappears - FXStreet - March 23rd, 2020
- Tezos Foundation Offloaded Millions of Dollars Worth of Bitcoin in 2019: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 23rd, 2020
- The Internet May Be Next Victim of Coronavirus Pandemic Netflix, Google, Apple and Amazon React - Bitcoin News - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price (BTCUSD) is Off to a Bullish Start; Can It Sustain Gains Above $5,900.00? - InvestingCube - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Might Drop Beneath $4,800 Again If It Breaks THIS Short Term Trend Line - Coingape - March 21st, 2020
- Top 3 Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple consolidate their price following as bulls and bears wrestle for control - Confluence... - March 21st, 2020
- A factor that predicted the Bitcoin crash in 2018 suggests bullish action is ahead - CryptoSlate - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin's Difficulty on Track for Historic Drop, but There Is Silver Lining - U.Today - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin ranked on top 100 greatest designs of all time - Decrypt - March 21st, 2020
- The Puell Multiple Is Turning Bullish on Bitcoin - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Fast Approaching $7,000Heres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Contrary To Popular Belief, Bitcoin Isn't Consistently Correlated To Anything - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoins Magic Is Fading, And Thats A Good Thing - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Leaves Stocks In The Dust - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus is forcing fans of Bitcoin to realize its not a safe haven after all - MIT Technology Review - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Back In Free Fall And Dropping FastHeres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Top Analyst Explains Why Bitcoin Price is Up 78% amid Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- A Treatise on Bitcoin and Privacy Part 2: Dont Be Misled by Red Herrings - Nasdaq - March 20th, 2020
- Here's Why Grayscale Bitcoin Trust Is Rising Today - Motley Fool - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Bulls Say It's Time for 'Plan B' as Fed Ramps Up Repo Operations - U.Today - March 20th, 2020
- All You Need to Know About Bitcoin Wallets in... - Coinspeaker - March 20th, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoins 15% Rally Could Fail Near The Key $6,500 Barrier - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Gains Expected as Unemployment Claims Soar in the US - Coingape - March 20th, 2020
- Heres What Caused Bitcoins Extreme Price Plunge - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Sees 9% Gain as Turmoil Hits the Forex Markets - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin loses half of its value in two-day plunge - CNBC - March 19th, 2020
- Here is the real reason behind Bitcoin price drop - Cryptopolitan - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin, Not Governments Will Save the World After Crisis, Tim Draper Says - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Lost Roughly 50% Of Its Value In A Day - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Briefly Dips to 12-Month Low in Overnight Trading - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Despite Bitcoin Price Dips, Crypto Is a Safe Haven in the Middle East - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 19th, 2020
- What Bitcoin Price Would Be If Every American Invested $1K - Bitcoinist - March 19th, 2020
- Tether is Now Printing Millions, and Thats Huge for Bitcoin - newsBTC - March 19th, 2020
- Cyperpunk Myths and Bitcoin in Real Life with Udi Wetheimer - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Lacks Momentum And A Break Below $5K Could Be Trend Defining - newsBTC - March 19th, 2020
- Experts Say the Fed's QE Program Will Strengthen Bitcoin One Way or Another - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin's Safe-Haven Narrative Has Flown Out the Window - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Safe Haven Narrative in Question After Biggest Drop in 7 Years - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- 2 Months Ago, Andreas Antonopoulos Explained Why Bitcoin Would Crash - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Is This The Day Bitcoin Had Been Waiting For 11 Years? - CryptoPotato - March 19th, 2020
- Investors Can Hedge Long-Term Risk With New 2-Year Bitcoin Derivatives - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Lost Your Bitcoin? Here Is How You Can Recover It - Bitcoinist - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin & Gold Are Doing the Same Thing in Coronavirus Crisis: Pomp - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin is dead, long live Bitcoin - Decrypt - March 19th, 2020
- Ripple Executive Says Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP Represent First Wave in Deconstruction of Finance - The Daily Hodl - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Correct Gains - Cryptonews - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Live: How to Watch the Next Price Run or Crash in Real-Time - Bitcoin News - March 19th, 2020
- Indian Government Reveals Inspection of Bitcoin Businesses, Informs Parliament of Results - Bitcoin News - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Is Now Up Just 9% This Year - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Steadies as Bank of England Suddenly Cuts Rates to 11-Year Low - Cointelegraph - March 11th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Really A Safe-Haven Asset? - Forbes - March 11th, 2020
- What the Oil Market Says About Bitcoin's 'Safe Haven' Status - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin can still be a safe haven, experts say - Decrypt - March 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Focus: Outbreak Takes Toll on Bitcoin - TheStreet - March 11th, 2020
- Retail Demand May Force the SEC to Approve a Bitcoin ETF - Cointelegraph - March 11th, 2020
- The Simpsons Correctly Called President TrumpDid It Just Predict When Bitcoin Will Go Mainstream? - Forbes - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Still Failing As A Flight To Safety Investment - Benzinga - March 11th, 2020
- Lightning-Fast New Bitcoin.com Wallet Proves Popular With Over 10 Million Wallets Created - Bitcoin News - March 11th, 2020
- Proving That Tether Manipulated Bitcoin 2017 Bull Run Wont Be Easy - Cointelegraph - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Elliott Wave Theory suggests price could fall further - FXStreet - March 11th, 2020
- Tezos Price Makes Gigantic Steps Eyeing $3.0 As Bitcoin Price Deals With Rejection At $8,000 - Coingape - March 11th, 2020
- Interlay Receives Web3 Foundation Grant for Bridging Bitcoin to Polkadot - Cointelegraph - March 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin's $9,000 Price Stays Steady as Sentiment Stays Positive - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 7th, 2020