Bitcoin price has now declined to $56k; does that mean a top is in? Or is this just a shakeout? Heres what the SOPR indicator says about it.
The BTC Spent Output Profit Ratio (or SOPR in short) is an on-chain indicator that estimates whether investors are selling at a profit or a loss.
When the metrics value is above one, it means coins that were moved during the period were sold, on an average, at a profit.
While SOPR values less than one imply the overall market has been selling at a loss during the particular timescale.
If the indicator starts trending up, it could mean holders are now realizing their profits and a correction could soon be coming.
On the other hand, a downwards trend implies sellers are moving their coins at a loss, and holders with profitable coins may be sitting on to them in hopes of further price appreciation.
Related Reading |Bitcoin MVRV Shows Top Isnt In Yet, BTC Still Has Room To Grow
An analyst has created a chart in a CryptoQuant post that highlights the trend in the value of the indictor over the past year and a half.
As you can see, above are the graphs for a few different versions of the indicator. The STH SOPR and LTH SOPR metrics show whether short-term and long-term holders, respectively, are taking profits or not.
The separation between the two types of holders is done on the basis of coin age. Coins that havent been moved since 155 days fall into the LTH category. Anything below that is in the STH territory.
Now, looking at the above chart, it seems like all the Bitcoin SOPR metrics had high values when the early 2021 top formed.
Related Reading |Inflation fears sparks Bitcoin rally before Taproot Crypto Roundup, Nov 15, 2021
But before the run started, there was a period where the STH SOPR shot up and the other indicators also increased in value. However, there was no top formation here as it was only a pre-bull run shakeout.
A trend similar to that seems to be visible in the current time period. The STH SOPR is high right now, but long-term holders dont seem to be realizing that much profits.
This fact makes the analyst believe that the latest decline in Bitcoins price was possibly just a shakeout, and not a top formation.
Here is a chart that shows the current trend in BTCs price:
Follow this link:
Shakeout Or Top? Here's What Bitcoin SOPR Says About It - NewsBTC
- How to Cash Out Bitcoin: Complete Guide - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin (BTC) live coin price, charts, markets & liquidity - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin (BTC) - Price, Chart, Info | CryptoSlate - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin (Cryptocurrency) TradingView - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Up Official Website - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Era | The Official Bitcoin Era App - January 14th, 2022
- BTC to USD | Bitcoin to US Dollar - Investing.com - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin GitHub - January 14th, 2022
- After Bitcoins Weak Start to the Year, Analysts Now Predict Price Increase - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2022
- Arkansas is offering remote tech workers $10,000 in bitcoin to move to there - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Kazakhstan bitcoin miner: US will make up 60% of the worlds computing power in 2 years - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2022
- Congress Introduces A Game-Changing Crypto Bill As The Price Of Bitcoin, Ethereum, BNB, Solana, Cardano, XRP Sinks - Forbes - January 14th, 2022
- The US Government and Bitcoin Auctions: Here's What Investors Need to Know - Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Is A Better Store Of Value Than Real Estate - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin could rise to $75,000 this year to top record high, bank CEO predicts - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Miners Bit Digital, Canaan, and SOS Are Flying High This Week - The Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- You're going to see volatility waves in bitcoin, but long-term holders will by fine, says Anthony Scaramucci - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Congress Announces Hearing On Bitcoins Energy Use - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- US Billionaire Bill Miller Bets 50% of His Wealth in Bitcoin - TheStreet - January 14th, 2022
- Job Postings With Terms Like 'Bitcoin' and 'Cryptocurrency' Grew Almost 400% on LinkedIn Last Year - Money - January 14th, 2022
- University accepts Bitcoin donations to fund crypto-related activities - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- The rich get richer: Rethinking Bitcoins power as an inflation hedge - TechCrunch - January 14th, 2022
- Dont mention K country: Bitcoin Magazine's YouTube restored after ban - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin cycle is far from over and miners are in it for the long haul: Fidelity report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- Turks Pile Into Bitcoin and Tether to Escape Plunging Lira - The Wall Street Journal - January 14th, 2022
- Breaking Down the Fight Between Bitcoin and Web 3 - Coindesk - January 14th, 2022
- 2 Cryptocurrencies That Have Trounced Bitcoin and Shiba Inu During the Crypto Crash - Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Discussing The Importance Of Bitcoin's Open-Source Ethos - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- Visa: One in Four Businesses Surveyed Plan to Accept Cryptocurrency Payments This Year Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 14th, 2022
- Mai Capital Predicts Tough Year for Crypto Expects Bitcoin and Ethereum to Do Well Once Regulations Come Into Focus Regulation Bitcoin News -... - January 14th, 2022
- What is Bitcoin? | How Do Bitcoin and Crypto Work? | Get ... - December 22nd, 2021
- The U.S. government has a massive, secret stockpile of bitcoin Here's what happens to it - CNBC - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin has its own 1% who control outsized share of wealth - CBS News - December 22nd, 2021
- Missed out on hot crypto stocks in 2021? It paid just to buy Bitcoin and Ethereum, data shows - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2021
- TA: Bitcoin Gains Momentum, Why Rally Isn't Over Yet - NewsBTC - December 22nd, 2021
- How Bitcoins Sound Incentives Drive A Sound World - Bitcoin Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Daily Crunch: Bitcoin is religion; web3 is greed - TechCrunch - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Giveaway: Actress Gwyneth Paltrow Gives Away $500K in BTC for the Holidays Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoins Proof Of Work Is Well Worth Its Fees - Bitcoin Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Will Revealing Satoshi Nakamoto's Identity Help Bitcoin in 2022? - Analytics Insight - December 22nd, 2021
- Donald Trump Says Crypto Is 'Very Dangerous' Warns of 'Explosion Like We've Never Seen' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 22nd, 2021
- Happy bearday, Bitcoin: Its been 3 years since BTC bottomed at $3.1K - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Price Chart Risks Lapsing Into Bearish Pattern - Bloomberg - December 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin could hit $100K, gold $2K in 2022 thanks to 'deflationary forces' Bloomberg analyst - Cointelegraph - December 9th, 2021
- Jack Dorseys ditched Twitter for bitcoin. Has the social media bubble burst? - The Guardian - December 9th, 2021
- Can Bitcoin's hard cap of 21 million be changed? - Cointelegraph - December 9th, 2021
- Countries Are Leaving The USD Standard, They Need A Bitcoin Strategy - Bitcoin Magazine - December 9th, 2021
- Ethereum Might Dethrone Bitcoin as Best Crypto Store of Value, Study Argues Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 9th, 2021
- Ethereum it outperforming bitcoin because its a tech bet: Novogratz - Markets Insider - December 9th, 2021
- Monster-Sized Bitcoin Whale Transfers: Blockchain Parser Catches Significant Amounts of 'Cold BTC' Moved to Active Exchanges Featured Bitcoin News -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin.com Unlocks Earn on Crypto Promoted Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin And Omicron: Is Another Black Swan Brewing? - NewsBTC - December 3rd, 2021
- True or false: 91% of surveys about Bitcoin and crypto are totally wrong - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- This simple Bitcoin options strategy lets traders profit while also hedging their bets - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- Can Bitcoin rally in December? | Tune in now to The Market Report w/ Gareth Soloway - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- The Invisible Incentives Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - December 3rd, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2021
- Pokmon GO Creator's AR Platform Is Now Being Used To Hunt Bitcoin, Not Pocket Monsters - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2021
- Stripe says it's open to accepting crypto for payments, three years after ending bitcoin support - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Thanksgiving Gift, Why BTC Heads For Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- JPMorgan Lists Ethereum As A Better Investment Than Bitcoin - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- Buy the Dip: Bitcoin Whales Accumulated Over $2.36 Billion in $BTC After Price Drop - CryptoGlobe - November 25th, 2021
- How The Latest Macroeconomic News Is Impacting Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 25th, 2021
- Macro Guru Raoul Pal Says Millennials Migrating to Bitcoin From Gold and Traditional Finance Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - November 25th, 2021
- NFL Star Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Be Paid in Bitcoin This Season - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2021
- Hartford Police seized $20,000 from a Bitcoin ATM after it was linked to a fraud - WFSB - November 25th, 2021
- Transacting on Solana less energy-intensive than on Bitcoin, Ethereum, report reveals - AMBCrypto News - November 25th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Best Weapon Society Has Against Inflation And Wealth Inequality - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Seeing red? FUD that! Here's what you should have bought instead of Bitcoin last week - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin was looking good as an inflation hedge then it plunged nearly 20% - Markets Insider - November 22nd, 2021
- IRS Expects to Seize Billions of Dollars in Cryptocurrency Next Year More Than $3.5 Billion in Crypto Seized This Year Regulation Bitcoin News -... - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Helps Poverty Rather Than Hides It - Bitcoin Magazine - November 22nd, 2021
- 69-Year Old Israeli Lady Turned a $3K Bitcoin Investment to $320K: Now the Bank Refuses to Deposit - CryptoPotato - November 22nd, 2021
- Socialite and Model Alexis Ren Doesn't Trust the Dollar Economy, Says Crypto Is a Viable Alternative Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Strong Institutional Holders Moving Into Bitcoin, According to Cathie Wood of ARK Invest - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and Four Altcoins Witnessing Mass Adoption As Crypto Market Targets $200,000,000,000,000 ... - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Avalanche Value Surges Reaching an All-Time High, AVAX Joins the Top Ten Crypto Markets Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Quentin Tarantino Sued for an Upcoming Auction of Pulp Fiction NFTs Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Karnataka home minister is a mad man: Congress state chief ... - November 20th, 2021
- Tesla And Elon Musk Devotee Cathie Wood Issued A Serious Bitcoin And Ethereum Fed WarningBut Held Her Huge $500,000 Price Prediction - Forbes - November 20th, 2021