The City of Miami in Florida hosted Bitcoin 2021 the biggest live fest yet in the 12-year life of the original cryptocurrency. The Miami conferences total attendance exceeded 50,000 and featured some of the crypto worlds biggest stars, including Twitter founder Jack Dorsey, MicroStrategys CEO Michael Saylor, crypto progressive Miami Mayor Francis Suarez and the Winklevoss twins Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss.
As Miami Bitcoiners partied on, on the other side of Earth, 9,000 miles away in Hong Kong, a group of 30 or so people gathered for a Bitcoin Association HK meet-up. The Hong Kong Bitcoin fans were not high-profile names but no less enthusiastic. They ranged from blockchain technical experts, mainstream investment advisors, anti-establishment cypherpunks and crypto newbies trying to learn more about the digital assets that are changing the financial world.
Cryptocurrency meet-ups big and small are on the rise around the world. Many of these events can be found on Meetup.com, where gatherings focused on cryptocurrency and blockchain have grown by around 90% since last year, according to Meetup.com data. RSVPs to crypto-related meetings also have also surged by 127% since January 2020 despite the ongoing Covid-19 global pandemic.
The Bitcoin Association of Hong Kong was co-founded in 2014 by Leonhard Weese, who now serves as the clubs president, following the success of a few casual meet-ups that prompted the establishment of a more formal membership organization.
A self-described Bitcoin maximalist, Weese is a technical writer for Lightning Labs and also works to evangelize and promote the Lightning Network a layer 2 protocol for the Bitcoin network that allows faster transactions and negates the cryptocurrencys high fees.
As a student of economics, Weese became fascinated by Bitcoin. The idea that you could create money with a computer and that it exists outside of the realm of central banks or governments and defied the popular assumptions people hold about how money works or how about how the economy works, said Weese, in an interview with Forkast.News. In the beginning, the meetups were really just a tool to get people together to discuss BTC. There wasnt a lot of information about it back then and we ourselves didnt know what Bitcoin was.
Many of the Hong Kong events attendees on that night last week were there for just this purpose to learn more. Some were newbies like Ken Wong, an e-commerce executive who told Forkast.News that he had yet to invest in Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency, but that he believed they held huge potential for the future.
A mainstream investment advisor who asked not to be named, out of fear that his interest in this nascent asset class could worry some of his high-net-worth clients, admitted he was perplexed by the force of the crypto market and had come out of sheer curiosity.
I really want to know where Bitcoins value is coming from they always say, Bitcoin is digital gold but even gold is not really of high value, and it also has a maximum value, the investment advisor said. But Bitcoin is not stopping. It just keeps on going up.
Eugenie Kwok, the owner of After Five at the Fringe Vault the cafe where Hong Kongs Bitcoin meet-up was held was accepting payment in Bitcoin via the Lightning Network. Kwok told Forkast.News that she had been investing in Ethereum, the second-largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, since 2017, and she believed that cryptocurrencies definitely had a role to play in the future of financial transactions.
Accepting BTC was an easy decision, Kwok said. Throughout the evening many of the Bitcoin Association regulars did utilize the service, exchanging their Satoshis for drinks and food.
While everyone that our Forkast.News crew encountered was friendly, quite a few were unwilling to speak to a reporter on the record. Almost no one would provide contact details for follow up questions beyond highly encrypted platforms like Telegram and Signal.
A hot topic of discussion for the evening event was the position of Hong Kongs Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) which recently proposed to ban the vast majority of the territorys retail investors from buying cryptocurrencies while requiring crypto exchanges to get licenses.
Clifford Choi, the director of the Bitcoin Association, told Forkast.News that he had predicted this scenario years earlier.
Im not really surprised with the SFCs reaction, Choi said. We have the HK government, which is trying to protect this power elite structure, and we also have a lot of political instability, hyperinflation and other global economic pressures that are pushing corporations and governments into Bitcoin and cryptocurrency.
But the SFC is too late to stop small investors from buying and selling Bitcoin, and the proposed regulations will likely only serve to create a far less safe environment for retail crypto traders, Choi said.
Theres a real disconnect between what the law and what software are doing, Choi said. Retail will always have access to decentralized exchanges and the law doesnt have jurisdiction over software.
Read more from the original source:
Take that, Miami: Hong Kong hosts its own Bitcoin meetup - Forkast News
- The future is Bitcoin according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2021
- Pokmon GO Creator's AR Platform Is Now Being Used To Hunt Bitcoin, Not Pocket Monsters - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2021
- Stripe says it's open to accepting crypto for payments, three years after ending bitcoin support - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Thanksgiving Gift, Why BTC Heads For Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- JPMorgan Lists Ethereum As A Better Investment Than Bitcoin - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- Buy the Dip: Bitcoin Whales Accumulated Over $2.36 Billion in $BTC After Price Drop - CryptoGlobe - November 25th, 2021
- How The Latest Macroeconomic News Is Impacting Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 25th, 2021
- Macro Guru Raoul Pal Says Millennials Migrating to Bitcoin From Gold and Traditional Finance Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - November 25th, 2021
- NFL Star Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Be Paid in Bitcoin This Season - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2021
- Hartford Police seized $20,000 from a Bitcoin ATM after it was linked to a fraud - WFSB - November 25th, 2021
- Transacting on Solana less energy-intensive than on Bitcoin, Ethereum, report reveals - AMBCrypto News - November 25th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Best Weapon Society Has Against Inflation And Wealth Inequality - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Seeing red? FUD that! Here's what you should have bought instead of Bitcoin last week - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin was looking good as an inflation hedge then it plunged nearly 20% - Markets Insider - November 22nd, 2021
- IRS Expects to Seize Billions of Dollars in Cryptocurrency Next Year More Than $3.5 Billion in Crypto Seized This Year Regulation Bitcoin News -... - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Helps Poverty Rather Than Hides It - Bitcoin Magazine - November 22nd, 2021
- 69-Year Old Israeli Lady Turned a $3K Bitcoin Investment to $320K: Now the Bank Refuses to Deposit - CryptoPotato - November 22nd, 2021
- Socialite and Model Alexis Ren Doesn't Trust the Dollar Economy, Says Crypto Is a Viable Alternative Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Strong Institutional Holders Moving Into Bitcoin, According to Cathie Wood of ARK Invest - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and Four Altcoins Witnessing Mass Adoption As Crypto Market Targets $200,000,000,000,000 ... - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Avalanche Value Surges Reaching an All-Time High, AVAX Joins the Top Ten Crypto Markets Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Quentin Tarantino Sued for an Upcoming Auction of Pulp Fiction NFTs Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Karnataka home minister is a mad man: Congress state chief ... - November 20th, 2021
- Tesla And Elon Musk Devotee Cathie Wood Issued A Serious Bitcoin And Ethereum Fed WarningBut Held Her Huge $500,000 Price Prediction - Forbes - November 20th, 2021
- While Speculators Believe Bitcoin's Third-Largest Wallet Is a Mystery Whale, Onchain Data Suggests It's an Exchange Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin... - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Falls Almost 20% Since Biggest Cryptocurrency's Historic Record - Bloomberg - November 20th, 2021
- If bitcoin is 'digital gold,' it should be taxed like gold | TheHill - The Hill - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETFs and Corporate Adoption Are 2 Key Crypto Catalysts to Watch - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Dont think anybody can say Bitcoin is a joke now: Morgan Housel - Economic Times - November 20th, 2021
- Does the Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana, and Cardano Price Crash Signal Another Crypto Winter? - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Shakeout Or Top? Here's What Bitcoin SOPR Says About It - NewsBTC - November 20th, 2021
- Sports Illustrated Awards Sweepstakes Sponsored by FTX to Give Away 1 Bitcoin Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 20th, 2021
- Aussie brothers hit Nasdaq with plan to turn Bitcoin green - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin Too Big to Fail? - Institutional Investor - November 6th, 2021
- Estimating This Cycle's Bitcoin Price Top - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Billionaire Tom Steyer: This type of bitcoin venture is a disaster for the environment - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2021
- Moving $25 Billion in BTC via Alternate Chains There's Now Over 400000 Tokenized Bitcoins in Existence - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- New York's Incoming Mayor Wants to Be Paid in Bitcoin (At Least Temporarily) - Gizmodo - November 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin price consolidation could be over, says trader as Ethereum, Polkadot hit all-time highs - Cointelegraph - November 6th, 2021
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Cryptos stagnate but one readies to explode - FXStreet - November 6th, 2021
- Spending a String of 20000 BTC 2 Bitcoin Whale Transactions Move Over $1.2 Billion Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- Square says bitcoin demand slowed in Q3 but picked back up in October; earnings weigh on stock - MarketWatch - November 6th, 2021
- Why The Navajo Are Mining Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Roughly One-Third of Bitcoin Is Controlled by a Small Cabal of Whales, According to New Study - Gizmodo - October 26th, 2021
- Heres the Line in the Sand for a Bitcoin Breakout, According to Veteran Crypto Trader Tone Vays - The Daily Hodl - October 26th, 2021
- As bitcoin soars in value again, here's what to think about before you buy - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Some Are Betting on State-of-the-Art Mining Machines as Bitcoin (BTC) Breaks New Price Ground - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin is over $66,000. Here are 3 questions to ask yourself before you invest - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- OLB Group Expands Bitcoin Mining Operation With 500 ASIC Miners, Expects $1M Monthly Revenue - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Swarm of Alternative Crypto Assets Outpace Bitcoin's Gains by Double Digits This Week Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 26th, 2021
- Elon Musk on his crypto portfolio: I only own bitcoin, ether and dogecoin - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Why is Illinois' largest electric utility mining Bitcoin near one of its coal-fired power plants? - Bloomington Pantagraph - October 26th, 2021
- US Government To Auction 4.94 Bitcoin Worth Over $300,000 - Bitcoin Magazine - October 26th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Needs To Clear $64K For Hopes of a Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - October 26th, 2021
- Coinbase Follows Bitcoin Into Consolidation: Is The Stock Headed For $415? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin rises to the highest since May, is now up 30% in October - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin jumps to nearly 5-month high, topping $55,000 on Wednesday - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs back above $50,000 as it starts October on a tear - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- What Caused Bitcoin Prices To Reach Their Highest Since May? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Hits Five-Month High - TheStreet - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin is up 30% in Octoberand within striking range of its all-time high - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Swiss think tank initiates vote to add Bitcoin in federal constitution - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Buying bitcoin or any other crypto is a huge leap of faith and you don't want to be the 'greater fool' - MarketWatch - October 12th, 2021
- BTC's Price Rise Gives 5-Year-Old Mining Rigs New Life Bitcoin Hashrate Jumps Close to 20% Since Last Week Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- Has Bitcoin Improved As A Flight To Safety Investment? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 12th, 2021
- How Henry Ford Envisaged Bitcoin 100 Years Ago A Unique 'Energy Currency' That Could 'Stop Wars' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- 3 warning signs suggest the Bitcoin price rally is overextended - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- BitMEX CEO Predicts Five Developing Countries Will Accept Bitcoin As Legal Tender Next Year Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs to highest in nearly two weeks - Reuters - October 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin gains, ether, cardano slip. Latest rates here - Mint - October 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Ethereum Weekly Technical Analysis October 4th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - October 4th, 2021
- Visa's New Payment System Will Accept Everything From Bitcoin to Dollars - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021
- New Rules Could Affect Robinhood and Bitcoin Traders. Here's What You Need to Know - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021
- Engiven, Inc. Facilitates $10 Million Dollar Bitcoin Donation, One of the Largest in History - KKTV 11 News - October 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin: What I Hate, Love, and Fear About the Cryptocurrency - Gadgets 360 - October 4th, 2021
- How to Use Twitter's New Bitcoin Tipping Feature - Gadgets 360 - October 4th, 2021
- New Zealand Launched Its First Bitcoin-Only Investment Fund - CryptoPotato - October 4th, 2021
- Crypto price outlook: Bitcoin and ether could hit record highs by year-end - Markets Insider - October 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin retakes $47,000 in broad crypto rally as anxiety eases over regulation - Yahoo Finance - October 2nd, 2021
- The true difference between bitcoin and ethereum, according to Grayscales CEO - Yahoo Finance - October 2nd, 2021