If you are planning to operate a bitcoin ATM business in the U.S. where 60% of the world's bitcoin ATMs are located there's a lot more to consider than simply buying a kiosk from General Bytes, Genesis Coin or Lamassu. You need to stay compliant, both on the federal level and the state level.
However, the cost and the work involved in compliance may be more than some bitcoin ATM operators bargain for, especially if they are only operating one or two kiosks, so it pays to do your homework. What follows is a rundown on the basics, but you may want to set up your business first, according to one lawyer.
"We recommend that you form a corporation or an LLC and have the nuts and bolts of operating as a business down before you start talking about the specifics of bitcoin ATM regulations," Bill Repasky, a lawyer with Frost Brown Todd, a Louisville, Kentucky, law firm that provides legal counsel for bitcoin ATM operators, told ATM Marketplace in an interview.
When you are ready to roll, the federal level of regulations most directly applicable to bitcoin kiosk operators are spelled out in the Bank Secrecy Act, or BSA for short, a law requiring financial institutions to assist U.S. government agencies in detecting and preventing money laundering.
According to theFinancial Crimes Enforcement Network, the government agency tasked with interpreting the BSA, the definition of a financial institutionfits traditional banks, but alsoincludes several subcategories, including one known as a money-services business, or MSB.
A bitcoin ATM operator is considered an MSB, and all MSBs have to register with FinCEN. You won't need a lawyer for this part, said Repasky.It only takes about 20-30 minutes to fill out FinCEN form 107online. Just remember, you have to register within 180 days of establishing an MSB and renew every two years.
Once you register with FinCEN, you are obligated tocomply with the BSA. Among other things, that requires a bitcoin ATM operator to establish an anti-money laundering compliance program, which is a written document that explains your overall plan to thwart money laundering and the financing of terrorist activities.
As part of your AML compliance program, you need to appoint a dedicated AML compliance officer,the principal figure responsible for overseeing the effective development and implementation of you firm's AML program. You also have to maintain superior reporting and record-keeping capabilities to ensure that you are collecting the appropriate information for all transactions and filing the proper reports.
An integral part of any AML program is knowing who your customer is. Know-your-customer is the business process of identifying and verifying the identity of customers, so you can spot risky ones and prevent fraudulent transactions before they start.
In terms of reporting, BSA requires you to monitor customer transactions and file a currency transaction report for any transaction (daily aggregate amount)over $10,000. You also needto file a suspicious activity report for any transaction that might signify money laundering, tax evasion or other criminal activities.
"A suspicious activity could be something in the nature of structuring transactions at a bitcoin ATM that appear designed to evade the $10,000 CTR limit, or It could be a customer providing information that indicates that they are a person of interest to the U.S. government," Repasky explained.
Additionally, the Office of ForeignAssets Control, or OFAC,keeps a database of individuals acting for or on behalf of targeted countries. Included in your AML compliance report, you also need to outline how you are monitoring that list.
Your AML compliance program should also includehow you plan to train and retrain your staff on BSA/AML rules and procedures. Putting together a compliance program is a big job, one that will likely requirehire outside help.
"Typically a bitcoin ATM operator will work with an outside consultant or a lawyer to create the BSA compliance program,"Repasky said."Then they will begin contracting with vendors who can provide the necessary services to comply with the BSA programs, such as collecting information and running it throughthe OFAC list."
FinCEN governs BSA protocol and enforcement. However, various other agencies that are all part of the FinCEN operation have been assigned specific duties for enforcing compliance with the BSA, and for MSBs, the primary investigative authority is the IRS.In fact, the IRS has already made it clear that it is monitoring bitcoin ATM activity and looking into compliance.
"If you're a bitcoin ATM operator and someone is going to randomly select you for an audit, it is most certainly going to be the IRS," Repasky said."What we're seeing now is that the first round of IRS subpoenas have gone out to the bitcoin ATM operators asking for compliance documentation. They went out beginning in the spring and through the summer. They are requesting a boatload of information from the bitcoin ATM operators regarding their BSA programs."
Repasky believes that collecting that informationwill be an eye-opening experience for both bitcoin ATM operators and the IRS. Bitcoin ATM operators simply are not set up the same way as banks. They don't have the same resources, staff and record keeping abilities as large financial institutions, so keeping up with record keeping couldpose a challenge.
"Often the smaller bitcoin ATM operators don't collect it, don't have the capacity to collect it, don't retain it and they will be in trouble, honestly," he said.
In every state that a bitcoin ATM operator conducts business, they need to look at the laws for acquiring a money transmitter license those laws varyfrom jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and are often in flux. Regardless, it's critical to maintain compliance.
"If you run an ATM in a state that requires a license, even if you do everything else correctly, but you don't have that license, it is a punishable, imprisonable federal offense," Repasky warned.
Some states have strict licensing requirements. New York, for instance, requires licensing for virtual currency through its BitLicense, created by the New York State Department of Financial Services. Other states have taken the initiative either through statute or regulatory interpretation to say that the act of transmitting money doesn't affect virtual currencies. And some have a blended program.
In Texas, for example, if you have a bitcoin ATM that is a standalone device, you probably do not need to have a Texas money transmitter license. But if your bitcoin ATM in Texas is connected to a virtual currency exchange then Texas requires a money transfer license.
"If you have to be licensed in your jurisdiction, then you need to look at what is required to be licensed. And that can be onerous from a financial and a compliance standpoint," Repasky said. "In some cases, it is actually the make-or-break decision on whether a bitcoin operator will operate in that state."
Obtainingstate license can take several months.In most cases, you will have to post a surety bond, whichis required so that, in the event the licensed money transmitter stops operating, there ismoney to cover any transactions that have not yet cleared.
The costs of staying compliant can add up quick. "Plan in advance before you drink one too many beers or wines and buy your kiosk and then suddenly, begin to see how much it's going to cost," Repasky said. "It's like what my wife always says about free pets: there's no such thing."
- Is This The Real Reason Behind Bitcoins Huge Weekend Flash Crash? - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Fed Nears Inflation Rubicon, Analysts See $50K Bitcoin in Play - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- TUM team finds Bitcoin accounts for 2/3 of total energy consumption of cryptocurrencies - Green Car Congress - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin's flash crash and recent rally explained - BNN - August 4th, 2020
- Over 90% of ETH's Supply Now in Profit | Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - August 4th, 2020
- Chinese Bitcoin Miners Face Tougher Than Ever Rainy Season in 2020 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Is Booming in Uncertain Russia, With 350% Spike in New Users on Paxful | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - August 4th, 2020
- 17-year-old accused of masterminding Twitter bitcoin scam - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Scaling Tech Could Have Saved Companies and Users $500M in Fees: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- Government-Owned Swiss Bank Launching Crypto Trading and Custody Services | News - Bitcoin News - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Biotech on My Mind as Defiant Bears Get Crushed - RealMoney - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin will drop to $10K before rally resumes - Asia Times - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Proof of Stake BitcoinPoS BPS - News Anyway - August 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Beating Bitcoin In More Ways Than One - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- A Panel of Experts See Bitcoin Averaging $12948 by Year End - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- 'Ferocious Rally': Weiss Ratings Bullish on Bitcoin, Price to Hit $70K Next Year | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Thieves Hit Cashaa - Infosecurity Magazine - July 14th, 2020
- $424 Million and Numismatic Value: There's Only 20000 Casascius Physical Bitcoins Left Unspent | Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- This Exchange Crashed Bitcoin Price to $9K: Heres Why Thats Bullish - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- US Army Requests Information on Tools to Track Cryptocurrency Transactions | News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- 'Fiat and Money Printing' Street Mural Earns $500 in Bitcoin Donations in Five Days | News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volume Slumps; Will TikTok Revive Dogecoin? - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Comparing Apple to Bitcoin? Crypto Occupies a Class of Its Own - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- Huobi Futures to launch bitcoin options trading in Q3 - HedgeWeek - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Transactions: New High for Argentina as Confidence in the Peso Tanks - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- CoinSwap and the Ongoing Effort to Make Bitcoin Privacy 'Invisible' - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 14th, 2020
- Black wealth must exit to Bitcoin, says author Isaiah Jackson - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Retreat As Bulls Run Out Of Steam At The 50-Day SMA - InvestingCube - July 14th, 2020
- US Dept of Homeland Security Buys Analytics Software From Coinbase | News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- Bug in Bitcoin Wallets Found Using the Replace-By-Fee Feature - PRNewswire - July 14th, 2020
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - Yahoo Finance - July 9th, 2020
- ModiHost's Token Is Live on HitBTC, the Leading European Bitcoin Exchange | Press release - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- For The First Time It's Free To Hold Bitcoin In A Retirement Account - Introducing The No Annual Fee Choice IRA For Digital And Traditional Assets -... - July 9th, 2020
- Permissionless Software Foundation Aims to Foster Open-Source Software With Bitcoin Cash - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Never Be Truly Private Says Andreas Antonopoulos - Cointelegraph - July 8th, 2020
- Forget Bitcoin and Cash ISAs! I'd buy cheap FTSE 100 shares now to beat the State Pension - Yahoo Finance UK - July 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Bitcoin locked in DeFi hits all-time high of $2 billion - Decrypt - July 8th, 2020
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Three Most Controversial Bitcoin Price Models and What They Predict - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Trumps Former Sanctions Chief Joins Bitcoin Investigation Firm Advisory Board As Part Of Expanded $49 Million Investment - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Undo Button & Fleeing Firms: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Up 27% in First Half of 2020, Beating Gold, Silver and Platinum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Popular Stablecoin Tether Is Now Circulating on the Bitcoin Cash Network - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Demand for Bitcoin Will See a Dramatic Shift in 8 Years - Retail Investors to Eat up Entire New Supply | Economics - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Breadwallet and Ledger Live Released Fixes for Flaws in Bitcoin Wallets - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Developer Reveals Layer-Two Private Messaging and Payment System on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Equities Buoy Bitcoin, But Price Headwinds Are Unchanged - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Alleged scammers hid $14 million of stolen money in Bitcoin - Decrypt - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin As A Payment System Crypto Cards And The Rocky Road They Travel - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin will hit $50,000 by the end of the year Nexo co-founder - Crypto News Flash - July 7th, 2020
- Crypto Derivatives Volumes Crash 36% to $393 Billion in June, a Low for 2020 | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- 20K Bitcoin Is Still On The Table - Futures Magazine - July 7th, 2020
- First Mover: The Return of the Bitcoin Retail Investor (And Why Thats a Good Thing) - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- The most secretive Bitcoin wallet just moved nearly $1 billion - Decrypt - June 30th, 2020
- Why the Stock-to-Flow Bitcoin Valuation Model Is Wrong - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Will Take a Long Time to Dethrone the Dollar - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Skeptics Concerned Plustoken Scammers Plan to Dump $187M Worth of Ethereum | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin.org Maintainer Calls for the Removal of Cobra, Website Owner Then Fires Him - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- An Israeli Blockchain Startup Claims Theyve Invented an Undo Button for Bitcoin Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cardanos ADA Weekly Technical Analysis June 29th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Theory of Bitcoin: Essential knowledge from Craig Wright and Ryan X. Charles - CoinGeek - June 30th, 2020
- Bolstering Separation of Money and State Following the 244th Independence Day - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Legendary Investor Jim Rogers Warns Governments Will Have To Eliminate Bitcoin - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- What Changed My Mind About Bitcoin Narratives - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- The Last Time Volatility Was This Low Bitcoin Went On to Rally By $2K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- Record Unemployment Has Contributed To A Striking Shift Toward Bitcoin, New Research Reveals - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- Developer Who Successfully Hacked Bitcoin Wallet Ensures BTC Is Still Safe - Cointelegraph - June 27th, 2020
- What will happen to Bitcoin after all 21 million are mined? - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- Leveraged Tokens Soon Available on the Bitcoin.com Exchange | Promoted - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin mining farm buys up 17,600 minersdespite the halving - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- 6 Privacy-Enhancing Tools That Place Bitcoin Cash Transactions Ahead of the Pack | Privacy - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining Chip Manufacturer Ebang to List on Nasdaq This Week - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Suddenly Plunged To $8,900And It May Kickstart A 3-Month Correction - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Inactive Bitcoin Supply Reaches 4-Year High, Pointing to Bullish Sentiment - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Crypto 101: How to Send and Receive Bitcoin Cash Via the Bitcoin.com Wallet | Featured - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why 2020 Is a Great Year for Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Currency wars: The rise of bitcoin - Opinion - Jakarta Post - June 16th, 2020
- Encrypted Messaging Site Privnote Cloned to Steal Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin is becoming more trustworthy than big banks, says survey - Decrypt - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin-Friendly Top US Banking Regulator Aims to Solve Banks' Problems With Decentralization | News - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020