Dutchman Didi Taihuttu made headlines around the world in 2017 when he sold his profitable business, his family house and cars, and even the childrens toys for Bitcoin, believing hed be a multi-millionaire by 2020.
With no bank accounts or possessions, and all their savings tied up in highly volatile cryptocurrencies, Taihuttu, 41, his wife and three children embarked on a world-wide adventurea quest for a decentralized, nomad, Bitcoin life, as he described it to Decrypt on a recent call from their current base in Lagos, Portugal.
Their journey, trailed by the worlds media, has now taken in 40 countries. Theyve set up crypto-funded projects to help the poor; established their own Bitcoin Family brand and merchandise, and documented their journey, spreading the crypto gospel in over 200 YouTube videos.
But Bitcoins price has stubbornly refused to reach the giddy heights that Taihuttu predicted, and the coronavirus pandemic threatened to derail their glossy odyssey. Nevertheless, his enthusiasm for cryptocurrency remains undiminished. He told us why, and how his eldest daughter convinced him they should continue with their quest.
It wasnt as if they had a bad life before, said Taihuttu. He ran his own business offering computer courses in the Netherlands for 11 years.
In fact, rather than the desire to make money, it was the death of his father, combined with burnout, that prompted him to change his and his familys lives. Hed dabbled in crypto as far back as 2013, but in 2017 he suggested to his wife, Romaine that they sell everything, invest it in Bitcoin, and travelembracing a new, anti-materialistic way of life.
The original goal had been to cash out in 2020, and then reinvest when the price dipped again.
Bitcoin has a four-year cycle, and the next halvingwhere its supply is cut in half, was due in May 2020. In the past three cycles, within months of a halving, thered been a bull run, and Taihuttu, along with many others, had guessed that this year would be the same.
The family had profited from Bitcoins stratospheric rise after the previous bull run, which saw the cryptocurrency soar from $800 at the beginning of 2017 to an all-time high of nearly $20,000 at its end.
At that point, the couple still retained their bank accounts, but getting sucked deeper into Bitcoins philosophy convinced Taihuttu that they must lead by exampleto show their children, but also the wider world. Everybody talks the talk, but nobody walks the walk, he said. Wed shown that you could invest all-in. Now we had to show that you could live all-in.
When they first started traveling, there was no app like CoinATMRadar, where you find places to withdraw funds, and they had to rely on word of mouth to find places that accepted cryptocurrencies.
Mainly, in the beginning, the first two and a half years, it was really hard, said Taihuttu.
Arriving at the Turkish border, on one trip, they couldnt buy a visa, and so had to stage an elaborate workaround, with a friend accepting their Bitcoin, and transferring the funds for a visa onto a Turkish pre-paid credit card. These days, they always carry a little cash, for emergencies or treats.
Adoption in Asia is way ahead of Europe, Taihuttu said. Most notably, he added, its happening faster in regions of the world where people havent had ready access to banking.
In the Moluccan Islands, where Taihuttus father was born, they met locals who didnt know what a bank account was, and who were living on a mere dollar a day.
We had been traveling with the kids through Vietnam, Cambodia, the Philippines, Australia, Indonesiaeverywhere in the world, and we had the proof, he said. I saw the truth: Bitcoin and blockchain are the tools to change this monetary system.
Taihuttus children get a daily allowance in Bitcoin. The family learned to use Bitcoin ATMs; they turned to apps such as ExcelTrip to arrange flights; they bought coupons that could be used in supermarkets, and they made ready use of crypto exchange marketplace localbitcoins.com, which puts users in touch with local dealers willing to exchange cash for cryptocurrencies. Its not that safe, and not that easy, said Taihuttu.
They also began to ask hotels and shops whether they could pay with Bitcoin. (Bitcoin is accepted by half a dozen restaurants in one village on the Thai island of Koh Phangan, thanks to Taihuttu.)
Nowadays, its much easierwith the exception of groceries, said Taihuttu. There are two European towns that stand out as particularly crypto-friendly (where he found that it was possible to live solely on cryptocurrencies:) Rovereto in Italy and Slovenias capital, Ljubljana.
For the past three years, the family has crisscrossed between Asia, Oceania, and Europe. They were given a van to travel around in by one crypto firm; they went to Vegas; they did a blockchain cruise from Venice, and they were invited to crypto conferences.
Taihuttu trades every day. Hes not devoted to Bitcoin alone, but it still makes up around 65% of his holdings. He also consistently holds Ethereum and Litecoin, and recently invested in DOT, the cryptocurrency of the Polkadot blockchain. Others include COTI, CTSI, EGLD, BEAM, LEND, COV, and KAI.
Hes doubtful about the true extent of decentralization within the booming field of decentralized finance (DeFi). Hes made some gains there but has also heard that many have lost funds. He compared DeFi to the ICO boom of 2017/18.
Taihuttu is also an advisor to several early-stage startups; hes involved in Bulgarias Blockchain Valley project, and House of Dao, a co-living, co-working space where the focus is on blockchain and accelerating blockchain projects. These decentralized communities are going to change the world, he said.
I like that Bitcoin changes lives for poor kids all over the world and that I get an allowance in Bitcoin, Joli Taihuttu, 15, told Decrypt via Telegram. Dad is also teaching me a bit about trading but I dont know if that is something I want to do now. I do know that dad wants my boyfriend, when I get one, to own Bitcoin [laughter emoji].
Taihuttus two younger daughters, Juna, 13, and Jessa, 10, told Decrypt that Bitcoin is really cool.
Dad likes bitcoin a lot hihihi, wrote Jessa. I just like being together a lot with mom and dad.
When COVID-19 first hit, the family was in Spain, and they took the decision to return to Thailand, where they were then stuck for several months. Taihuttu had been promised the loan of a new van for five years, but the arrangement was pulled because of the uncertainty surrounding the pandemic.
He decided to stay on the Thai island where the infection rate was low and the family was safe. But Joli changed his mind, reminding him that he had taught the family never to live in fear. So they flew back to Europe in July.
After spending time in the Netherlands, and in Spain, they decided on a new, three-to-six month tour of Portugal, to promote the idea of travel, family, and Bitcoin. Their new video series, they hope, will land them a deal with a major broadcaster such as Netflix.
If you want to have mainstream adoption in this world, you need to focus on everybody, not only crypto people, said Taihuttu.
By now, hes amassed some enviable contacts in the industry, so a number of companies including crypto trading bot startup MachinaTrader and trading crypto platform PrimeXBT have chipped in to help fund the trip. Hes also been invited to advise various early-stage startups on strategy and adoption. Im almost working again, he quips.
The van theyll travel in is being painted with the logos of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, and kitted out with a rooftop tent. Theres no set itinerarywhich is in keeping with the familys freedom-loving ethic.
But with Bitcoin seemingly stalled at $10-11,000 for a while now, has the family ever regretted not cashing out more of their savings while it was at its peak when they first started their journey?
Of course, we considered it, and of course we cashed in a little bit at that point, Taihuttu said. But he went on to explain that, as Bitcoin plunged over the first six months of 2018, what started off as an idea to make money quickly evolved into a mission to live life as fully as possible.
We really needed to change life, Romaine Taihuttu, 41, told Decrypt via Telegram. She has no regrets but can imagine settling down again one day, by the beach.
According to Taihuttu, cryptocurrencies are a long term investment, and in the interim, You need to zoom out on crypto, and zoom in on life.
Bitcoins price was at $4-6,000 at the time the family bought in, so even at todays rates, their funds have doubled. But thats nothing compared to the life experiences theyve gained.
And in respect of Bitcoin adoption, the key advice he has to impart is: Its almost impossible to push people into Bitcoin, you need to show themleading by example, and then they will understand. The same thing applies to life.
For the Bitcoin Family, this journey has not resulted in quick gains, but as Taihuttu explains it was never really about that. Its the experience theyve gained as a family, through divesting themselves of possessions, thats enriched their lives; the greatest benefit has been freedom.
We had an emotional roller coaster ride from materialistic to minimalistic, from normal family life to being a digital, nomad family, and then the media attention, said Taihuttu. It was a huge adventure until now, and the adventure goes on.
The views and opinions expressed by the author are for informational purposes only and do not constitute financial, investment, or other advice.
See the original post here:
The Bitcoin Family: Still on the RoadAfter Three Years! - Decrypt
- Bitcoin Price Targets by Analysts for 2021 and Beyond - Barron's - December 3rd, 2020
- Why Ethereum and Bitcoin Are Very Different Investments - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Sees Record Number of Active Users as Price Almost Hits $20K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - December 3rd, 2020
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin price violently rejected near $20,000 - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Why one analyst says Bitcoin is on the cusp of busting through $20K - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Dont get caught up in the hype as bitcoin hovers around $19,000 - CNBC - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits All-Time High Above $19,000, Topping 2017 Record - The Wall Street Journal - December 3rd, 2020
- Over 5000 Bitcoin Worth $97 Million from the 2016 Bitfinex Hack Spring Into Action - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin moves $500K around the globe every second, says Samson Mow - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin hit the $19,800 mark. What the IRS wants to know about your holdings - CNBC - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Exchange To List HUB Token as the Next Gen Trust-Based Cryptocurrency | Press release - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2020
- Mogo Reports 135% Increase in Bitcoin Transaction Volume in November - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Climbs to Record High - The New York Times - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies Above $19,000 After Biggest Rout Since Pandemic - Bloomberg - November 30th, 2020
- Canadian Public Company Dumps Ethereum and Monero for Bitcoin | News - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin may see major price volatility at the start of December Here's why - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2020
- Weekly Recap: Bitcoin and Ethereum Trigger Mass Liquidations - FX Empire - November 30th, 2020
- Russia to Recognize Bitcoin as Property With Legal Protection | Regulation - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripples XRP, Litecoin And Chainlink Suddenly Bounce Back - Forbes - November 30th, 2020
- Fighting Definancialization: Cryptologic Methods Like Bitcoin Could Protect Wealth From the Great Reset | Featured - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Some Investors Predict Bitcoin to Hit $100,000 in a Year - VOA Learning English - November 30th, 2020
- Introducing MoonDeFi, a New Part of Decentralized Finance | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin analysts explain what's next in the aftermath of BTC plunging to $16.2K - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin loses steam after nearing all-time highs, but trader says it could be on track to $74,000 - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin plunges by nearly $3,000 after closing in on its all-time record - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Veteran Analyst Says BTC Might See Further Correction but 'Prices Have Not Topped' | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Carnivore Cult Is Both Stupid and Correct - CoinDesk - Coindesk - November 28th, 2020
- Ether, XRP and other 'altcoins' rally as bitcoin heads for all-time high - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Mike Novogratz: Everyone Should Put 2% to 3% of Their Net Worth in Bitcoin | News - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin price just hit $19,000 for the first time in 3 years - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Will 'money printer go brrr' rob Bitcoin of its all-time high? - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Why Is Bitcoin's Price Rising? Here Are a Few Possible Answers - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- OKEx Sees Biggest Bitcoin Outflow in 8 Months After Resuming Withdrawals - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin faces this final resistance zone before $20K all-time high - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- EURST Stablecoin Reinvention of the European Economy | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin hopes of record value of over $20,000 dashed after cryptocurrency falls again - Sky News - November 28th, 2020
- Should you invest in Bitcoin and how to do it - Telegraph.co.uk - November 28th, 2020
- Russian Hospitalized After Bitcoin Mining Farm Sets Apartment on Fire - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Researcher Publishes Never Before Seen Emails Between Satoshi Nakamoto and Hal Finney - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- OKExs Withdrawal Suspension Isnt Behind Bitcoins Rally: Analysts - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin now has a 7% chance of beating $20K highs in the next 2 months - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- For the first time since 2018 Bitcoin balances on exchanges fell below 2.5M - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin top signal from 2017 reappears, but heres why it may not matter this time - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- First Mover: PayPal Rushes In and Bitcoin Breaches $12K, While USDC Gains on Tether - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Macro Investor Dan Tapiero on Crypto Adoption: Emerging Economies Ahead of Developed States | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ban All Ransomware Payments, in Bitcoin or Otherwise - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Hotel Bitcoin ATMs on the Rise With Addition of Swiss Hotel Dolder Grand | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- World Gold Council Survey Shows Cryptocurrency Investment the 5th Most Popular in Russia - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum Q3 Volume Dwarfs Bitcoin's, Fueled by DeFi - Decrypt - October 23rd, 2020
- Crypto fans rejoice: Bitcoin rallies to the brink of $12,000 - Aljazeera.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 187,000 BTC Drained: Over $2 Billion in Bitcoin Leave the Top Exchanges Since June | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- A Former Goldman Sachs Hedge Fund Chief Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Surge To $1 MillionHeres Why - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin minings future is green, and Russia has the best chance - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Has Bitcoin Finally Met Its Match? - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin rips and cruise ships: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Where Does Bitcoin Fit in the Global Reserve Currency Game? - CoinDesk - Coindesk - October 19th, 2020
- Enormous wall of money will send Bitcoin to $1M in 2025 Raoul Pal - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Intrinsic Value: Crypto Community Responds to Bank of England Governor | News - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Ready For a New Pop Will It Do It Today? - InvestingCube - October 19th, 2020
- 'Enormous Wall of Money' Coming Into Bitcoin, Price to Reach $1 Million in 5 Years, Says Raoul Pal - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Ripple's XRP - Weekly Technical Analysis October 19th, 2020 - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: Bitcoin on Ethereum The Whos, Whats and Whys - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- First Mover: Privacy Is Litecoin's Ace in the Hole as JPMorgan Touts Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- Hathor Merge Mining Pool Commands 33% of the Bitcoin Cash Hashrate - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Cashfusion Use Increased by 328%, $200M in BCH Fused and Close to 20,000 Fusions | Privacy - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- The Silk Road Balance Sheet Discrepancy: Bitcoin Worth $4.8 Billion Still Missing | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoins Taproot is ready to go, but it's unlikely to be included in the next release - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- How will the US presidential election affect the price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- $12K Bitcoin price back on the table after BTC rallies above $11.4K - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- Coinbase's 'Mission' Violates the Spirit of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: the UK and US are clamping down on crypto trading here's why it's not yet a big deal - The Conversation UK - October 11th, 2020
- Lyn Alden: Bitcoin Correlations Depend on What Phase It Is In - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- UK Bans Sale of Crypto Derivatives to Retail Investors from January 2021 | News - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Yearn Finance Token Value Slides 67%, While Locked Value Loses Over $300M | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price holds $10.5K but a $30M sell wall looms overhead - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin To Hit $100,000 in Five Years as Demand and Adoption Increase - Report | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Trump, price dots and COVID-19: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- $8M Worth of 'Sleeping' Bitcoin Rewards from 2010 Moved the Day Before 'Black Thursday' - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Interest in Bitcoin Soars in Egypt Amid Economic Crisis and Unemployment | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- A Major Tesla Investor Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Be Worth More Than $1 Trillion In Under 10 Years - Forbes - October 6th, 2020