The original Silk Road marketplace has been shut down for well over seven years now and to this day, 444,000 bitcoin worth $4.8 billion is still missing. Just recently, a report focused on those funds discusses one of the markets biggest mysteries and how people have seemingly forgotten about this massive stash.
A number of people understand that the Silk Road marketplace was shut down by global law enforcement (LE) in October 2013 and LE subsequently arrested Ross Ulbricht shortly after. Individuals are also familiar with the 173,991 BTC ($1.9B) from the Silk Road coins that were seized and later auctioned by the U.S. Marshalls.
However, the public is not wholly aware of the estimated 444,000 BTC ($4.8B) missing from the Silk Road and a recent study from mysteryarchive.com discusses the lost coins at length.
What many people dont know about the Silk Road story, is that the balance sheet does not add up, and everybody just seems to be okay with this fact, the mysteryarchive.com report notes. The author further adds:
Generally speaking, you dont close a case with $4.8B just unaccounted for and this remains the Silk Roads greatest mystery as nobody can answer this simple question.
The findings discuss how the U.S. federal agents managed to seize the 173k BTC and that its quite possible the rest of the funds were stored on another computer. 144k BTC out of the seized stash was found on Ulbrichts laptop, which gave LE full access to the Mastermind dashboard and a list of SR payroll expenses from 2011 to 2013.
Mysteryarchive.com stresses that another computer seems likely, as it is common practice to not put all your wealth in one place. The report is not the only account of the hundreds of thousands of Silk Road BTC still missing from the darknet marketplace.
In 2015, news.Bitcoin.com shared an account from the alleged Silk Road mentor, Variety Jones, who told a tale about an estimated 300,000 to 400k BTC stash. According to Jones, a rogue FBI agent dubbed Diamond was harassing him with an attempt to obtain the hoard of Silk Road coins LE never seized.
My back of the envelope calculations for SR [Silk Road] show that there was easily close to 400,000 BTC that wasnt accounted for yet, Jones wrote at the time. I certainly dont have it, its gotta be somewhere, and Diamond (the rogue FBI agent) is certainly willing to move heaven and earth to get the passphrase for it.
Jones had said the rogue LE official was trying to extort him and the agent was also making an average of $1,000,000 a month, committing felonies with wild abandon, just because he can. Variety Jones, whose real name is Roger Clark, was arrested in Thailand in December 2015.
Oddly enough, Clark wasnt charged for his association with the Silk Road (SR) or his crimes until the end of January 2020. Moreover, two rogue federal agents working with the SR investigation stole thousands of bitcoins acting as double agents.
The recent report details that the missing stash of hundreds of thousands of SR bitcoins may have been lost during the Mt Gox breach. A number of studies over the years have shown a great deal of bitcoins from the darknet marketplace might have found their way into the now-defunct Mt Gox exchange.
Alongside this, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) agent Jared Der-Yeghiayan discovered interesting connections between Mt Gox and the SR marketplace. A summary of Der-Yeghiayans account was published on Freeross.org in a story called Silk Road Case: The Real, Untold Story.
Der-Yeghiayan had identified multiple accounts belonging to the Silk Road operators that contained bitcoins worth millions of U.S. dollars, the Untold Story studys author notes.
The crypto community may never find out where this stash of BTC went, and can only speculate on how much really went missing. The mysteryarchive.com report concludes that it is noteworthy that Mark Karpeles (CEO of Mt Gox) helped LE with the federal investigation into the SR marketplace. Moreover, the author adds that Karpeles was also once a lead suspect in the case and was accused of being the SR leader at one point as well.
What do you think about the mysterious missing SR bitcoins? Let us know what you think about this story in the comments below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons, Mysteryarchive.com
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
Here is the original post:
The Silk Road Balance Sheet Discrepancy: Bitcoin Worth $4.8 Billion Still Missing | Featured - Bitcoin News
- Bitcoin Price Targets by Analysts for 2021 and Beyond - Barron's - December 3rd, 2020
- Why Ethereum and Bitcoin Are Very Different Investments - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Sees Record Number of Active Users as Price Almost Hits $20K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - December 3rd, 2020
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin price violently rejected near $20,000 - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Why one analyst says Bitcoin is on the cusp of busting through $20K - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Dont get caught up in the hype as bitcoin hovers around $19,000 - CNBC - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits All-Time High Above $19,000, Topping 2017 Record - The Wall Street Journal - December 3rd, 2020
- Over 5000 Bitcoin Worth $97 Million from the 2016 Bitfinex Hack Spring Into Action - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin moves $500K around the globe every second, says Samson Mow - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin hit the $19,800 mark. What the IRS wants to know about your holdings - CNBC - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Exchange To List HUB Token as the Next Gen Trust-Based Cryptocurrency | Press release - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2020
- Mogo Reports 135% Increase in Bitcoin Transaction Volume in November - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Climbs to Record High - The New York Times - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies Above $19,000 After Biggest Rout Since Pandemic - Bloomberg - November 30th, 2020
- Canadian Public Company Dumps Ethereum and Monero for Bitcoin | News - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin may see major price volatility at the start of December Here's why - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2020
- Weekly Recap: Bitcoin and Ethereum Trigger Mass Liquidations - FX Empire - November 30th, 2020
- Russia to Recognize Bitcoin as Property With Legal Protection | Regulation - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripples XRP, Litecoin And Chainlink Suddenly Bounce Back - Forbes - November 30th, 2020
- Fighting Definancialization: Cryptologic Methods Like Bitcoin Could Protect Wealth From the Great Reset | Featured - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Some Investors Predict Bitcoin to Hit $100,000 in a Year - VOA Learning English - November 30th, 2020
- Introducing MoonDeFi, a New Part of Decentralized Finance | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin analysts explain what's next in the aftermath of BTC plunging to $16.2K - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin loses steam after nearing all-time highs, but trader says it could be on track to $74,000 - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin plunges by nearly $3,000 after closing in on its all-time record - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Veteran Analyst Says BTC Might See Further Correction but 'Prices Have Not Topped' | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Carnivore Cult Is Both Stupid and Correct - CoinDesk - Coindesk - November 28th, 2020
- Ether, XRP and other 'altcoins' rally as bitcoin heads for all-time high - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Mike Novogratz: Everyone Should Put 2% to 3% of Their Net Worth in Bitcoin | News - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin price just hit $19,000 for the first time in 3 years - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Will 'money printer go brrr' rob Bitcoin of its all-time high? - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Why Is Bitcoin's Price Rising? Here Are a Few Possible Answers - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- OKEx Sees Biggest Bitcoin Outflow in 8 Months After Resuming Withdrawals - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin faces this final resistance zone before $20K all-time high - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- EURST Stablecoin Reinvention of the European Economy | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin hopes of record value of over $20,000 dashed after cryptocurrency falls again - Sky News - November 28th, 2020
- Should you invest in Bitcoin and how to do it - Telegraph.co.uk - November 28th, 2020
- Russian Hospitalized After Bitcoin Mining Farm Sets Apartment on Fire - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Researcher Publishes Never Before Seen Emails Between Satoshi Nakamoto and Hal Finney - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- OKExs Withdrawal Suspension Isnt Behind Bitcoins Rally: Analysts - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin now has a 7% chance of beating $20K highs in the next 2 months - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- For the first time since 2018 Bitcoin balances on exchanges fell below 2.5M - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin top signal from 2017 reappears, but heres why it may not matter this time - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- First Mover: PayPal Rushes In and Bitcoin Breaches $12K, While USDC Gains on Tether - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Macro Investor Dan Tapiero on Crypto Adoption: Emerging Economies Ahead of Developed States | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ban All Ransomware Payments, in Bitcoin or Otherwise - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Hotel Bitcoin ATMs on the Rise With Addition of Swiss Hotel Dolder Grand | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- World Gold Council Survey Shows Cryptocurrency Investment the 5th Most Popular in Russia - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum Q3 Volume Dwarfs Bitcoin's, Fueled by DeFi - Decrypt - October 23rd, 2020
- Crypto fans rejoice: Bitcoin rallies to the brink of $12,000 - Aljazeera.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 187,000 BTC Drained: Over $2 Billion in Bitcoin Leave the Top Exchanges Since June | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- A Former Goldman Sachs Hedge Fund Chief Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Surge To $1 MillionHeres Why - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin minings future is green, and Russia has the best chance - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Has Bitcoin Finally Met Its Match? - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin rips and cruise ships: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Where Does Bitcoin Fit in the Global Reserve Currency Game? - CoinDesk - Coindesk - October 19th, 2020
- Enormous wall of money will send Bitcoin to $1M in 2025 Raoul Pal - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Intrinsic Value: Crypto Community Responds to Bank of England Governor | News - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Ready For a New Pop Will It Do It Today? - InvestingCube - October 19th, 2020
- 'Enormous Wall of Money' Coming Into Bitcoin, Price to Reach $1 Million in 5 Years, Says Raoul Pal - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Ripple's XRP - Weekly Technical Analysis October 19th, 2020 - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: Bitcoin on Ethereum The Whos, Whats and Whys - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- First Mover: Privacy Is Litecoin's Ace in the Hole as JPMorgan Touts Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- Hathor Merge Mining Pool Commands 33% of the Bitcoin Cash Hashrate - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Cashfusion Use Increased by 328%, $200M in BCH Fused and Close to 20,000 Fusions | Privacy - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoins Taproot is ready to go, but it's unlikely to be included in the next release - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- How will the US presidential election affect the price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- $12K Bitcoin price back on the table after BTC rallies above $11.4K - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- Coinbase's 'Mission' Violates the Spirit of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: the UK and US are clamping down on crypto trading here's why it's not yet a big deal - The Conversation UK - October 11th, 2020
- Lyn Alden: Bitcoin Correlations Depend on What Phase It Is In - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- UK Bans Sale of Crypto Derivatives to Retail Investors from January 2021 | News - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Yearn Finance Token Value Slides 67%, While Locked Value Loses Over $300M | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price holds $10.5K but a $30M sell wall looms overhead - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin To Hit $100,000 in Five Years as Demand and Adoption Increase - Report | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Trump, price dots and COVID-19: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- $8M Worth of 'Sleeping' Bitcoin Rewards from 2010 Moved the Day Before 'Black Thursday' - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Interest in Bitcoin Soars in Egypt Amid Economic Crisis and Unemployment | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- A Major Tesla Investor Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Be Worth More Than $1 Trillion In Under 10 Years - Forbes - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress: Bitcoin Sent to All Congress Members' Campaigns | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020