Financial analysts always keep an eye on the percentages by type of owner of any asset they analyze.
Everybody assumes that the owners of the professional investment group are on the right side of the market, while the individual investor is often on the wrong side of the market.
As a rule, the group of professional investors has priority access to new investment proposals. They have priority access to new company IPOs, capital available, and expert information.
In contrast, the individual investor often lags behind the decisions of professionals, buying what they want to sell, and selling what they want to buy.
The cryptocurrencies case is different from any other current asset.
The crypto market is relatively recent, as it is only 11 years since Satoshi Nakamoto published the White Paper of Bitcoin.
In the beginning, the only ones who had access to the appreciated token were technologists, cryptographers, developers and a few geeks who put their computers to mine Bitcoins.
That was more than a decade ago and today, there are still very few owners of Bitcoins with illustrious surnames from the financial world.
Despite the relative opacity that surrounds cryptocurrencies, the only thing truly opaque is the name of the owner and thats only in the cases in which exchange does not intervene. The rest of the information is public, freely accessible and decentralized.
This quality of blockchain technology allows us to know some exciting things that would be difficult for us to know in the case of Gold or Diamonds.
In this blockchain world, people store the units of value in digital wallets and their content and movements are public. The magnitudes to be taken into account and which are public are the number of tokens they keep and the time since the last transaction.
Today I am going to analyze the first of these magnitudes: the accumulated volume and its distribution.
Let's take a look at the profile of owners of the leading cryptocurrencies and their implications.
The study divides the owners of cryptocurrencies into three groups:
- Retailers: Wallets that have less than 0.1% of the total circulating.
- Investors: Wallets that have between 0.1% and 1% of total current assets.
- Whales: Wallets with more than 1% of total existing assets. *
* Whales is the name given to large owners, usually early adopters of this technology and accumulating hundreds of thousands of tokens.
Bitcoin has a very democratized distribution. 88.99% of the wallets belong to the group of Retailers, 9.59% to the group of investors and only 1.41% of whales.
From this distribution, we could deduce that the Bitcoin market is not as vulnerable to whale manipulations as it is believed and that a majority of its holders have small quantities.
Ethereum is distributed among retailers at 61.03%, while investors reach 31.51% and whales reach the figure of 7.45%.
In the case of Ethereum, we see that it is more vulnerable to massive actions since, between investors and whales, they approach the percentage control of the asset. This distribution highlights that Ethereum uses PoS (Proof of Stake) as a mining protocol, which requires "stacking" tokens and makes investors not sell their stocks massively.
The BCH is distributed among retailers at 71.8%, while investors reach 22.57% of the total working capital. Whales account for 5.63%.
The Bitcoin Cash case resembles the Ethereum profile, but in this case, it uses a PoW (Proof of Work) protocol in its mining, which does not require stacking tokens to increase the mining power. This mining method could justify because its owner profile is more similar to that of Bitcoin, which also uses PoW.
The distribution of Litecoin among retailers is 53.48%; investors accumulate 40.91% of the wallets and whales keep 5.62% of the total circulating.
Litecoin uses a PoW (Proof of Work) protocol, similar to Bitcoin, although the former makes intensive use of computational memory and the latter of computing power. As we can see, investors, who are not obliged to stack Litecoins, keep them in their portfolios in a massive way.
The distribution of Cardano among retailers is 58.59%; investors accumulate 7.52%, and whales gather a significant 33.89%.
Cardano uses a PoS (Proof of Stake) protocol. From the profile we have just seen, the original whales still maintain a large number of tokens and ultimately dominate the mining. The profile also shows a high vulnerability of Cardano to the great concentration of the current total.
- US Deficit Will Be at Least 6 Times Bitcoin Market Cap Every Year - Cointelegraph - January 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Puzzle Worth 2.1 BTC STILL Unsolved, Find New Clues Here - Bitcoinist - January 24th, 2020
- Five Years of Bitcoin Trendlines All Lead to This One Point; Fireworks Inbound - newsBTC - January 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Will Gold and Bitcoin Prices Rise as 2nd City in China... - Coinspeaker - January 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Breaks Below $8,300, Is The Bull Rally Already Over? - newsBTC - January 24th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: Bears take over and draw a bloody moon - FXStreet - January 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin 'to increase 98% in value by end of year' - Netimperative - January 24th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: Set for a dive before the next big bull market - FXStreet - January 24th, 2020
- Interim proprietary injunction granted over bitcoin cyber extortion payment - Data Protection Report - January 24th, 2020
- 5 Major Bitcoin Trends To Watch In 2020 - Forbes - January 23rd, 2020
- The Evolution of Bitcoin's Technology Stack - Cointelegraph - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Begun Its Journey to Fresh All-Time Highs; Factors to Consider - newsBTC - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Indicator that Crashed Price to $3.1K Returns: The Dreaded Death Cross - newsBTC - January 23rd, 2020
- Largest Bitcoin (BTC) Investment Vehicle Now Registered As an SEC Reporting Company: Grayscale - The Daily Hodl - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Will Reach $400,000 after Halving If History Is to Be Taken into... - Coinspeaker - January 23rd, 2020
- Regulation will see Bitcoin go mainstream in the UK Coinfloor CEO - Yahoo Finance - January 23rd, 2020
- Tesla Vs Bitcoin: Which One You Should Hold by 2025? - Bitcoinist - January 23rd, 2020
- Instantaneous Bitcoin [BTC] Payment Will Soon be Enabled at Starbucks, Courtesy of Bakkt - Coingape - January 23rd, 2020
- How Much Influence Will China Have On The Future Of Bitcoin? - Bitcoinist - January 23rd, 2020
- Alleged bitcoin thieves arrested by Tokyo police over 78 million haul - The Japan Times - January 23rd, 2020
- An Analysis of Price Discovery in Bitcoin Spot Markets - Traders Magazine - January 23rd, 2020
- Billionaire Investor Sees Major Flaw In Bitcoin Investment Thesis - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator Eyes First Bullish Turn Since August - Coindesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Swiss Banks Enter the Age of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin technology: Whats coming in 2020? - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Wall Street Veteran Thinks Bitcoin Isnt a Viable Money, Yet - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Will The Bitcoin Price Get Demolished By Central Bank-Issued Cryptos? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Now Reporting to the SEC, Grayscale Bitcoin Trust One Step Closer to Public Trading - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- The Key Indicator That Led Massive Bitcoin Upsurge to $13.8K Just Blinked Again - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- These Two Crypto Exchanges Greatly Increased Their Bitcoin (BTC) Reserves in 2019 - U.Today - January 22nd, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Driving Altcoins To The Moon - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Crypto Assets are not Banned in India: RBI - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin is up 20% so far this year and one expert predicts it could hit $16,000 by year end - CNBC - January 22nd, 2020
- Institutional Money May Be Igniting the Current Bitcoin Rally - CCN.com - January 22nd, 2020
- New Analysis Finds That Mondays Are the Best Days to Buy Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Solves This: Billionaires Own More Than 4.6 Billion People Combined - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Joe Rogan Is Not Convinced on Cryptocurrency and Bitcoin (BTC) - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Biggest Opportunity Of 2020 - Seeking Alpha - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Is Up 40% but Analysts Arent Convinced Bulls Are Back - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Gains Momentum: How Long Will It Last? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Saw A Key Technical Breakout: Big Reaction From Bulls Imminent - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Plunging, But Its Too Early To Say Bulls Have Given Up - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Is This Why Bitcoin SV Climbed Another 20% In the Last 24 Hours? - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- How Bitcoin's On-chain Activity and the Iran Crisis Correlate? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto market overview: Bitcoin (BTC) bulls lose initiative; altcoins drive the market higher - FXStreet - January 22nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin the Answer to Trump's 'Generosity' Towards Banks? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Report: Bitcoin outperforms banks in settlement times and reliability - Micky News - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Resurgent Bitcoin Will Likely Shrug Off Long-Term Bear Cross - Coindesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin's price rose 87% in 2019 here's what happened in Q4 - The Next Web - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Has Suddenly Soared, Pushing Bitcoin To A Fresh 2020 HighHeres Why - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Next Level - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin and major altcoins start the trip to the moon - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- US Judge Appoints Receiver To Oversee Butte Bitcoin Plant - MTPR - January 14th, 2020
- Adam Back: $10 Million Bitcoin Prediction Is Closer Than It Sounds - CCN.com - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Whale Alert: $1 Billion (0.7% Of Total Bitcoins) Just Transferred For $80 Fees - CryptoPotato - January 14th, 2020
- Former Coinbase VP: we moved billions of dollars into Bitcoin in large part because of Plaid - CryptoSlate - January 14th, 2020
- These Factors Suggest Bitcoin Cashs Recent Rally is Just Getting Started - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Higher levels to watch after the bullish run - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Is About To Repeat Its 2019 Rally? - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Officials with Butte Bitcoin company suing major investor - KPAX-TV - January 1st, 2020
- Ethereums Price Action is Similar to Bitcoins at $3,000: An Insane Rally is Imminent - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Yearly Candle Shows Failed Rally, Longest Wick on Record - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Etoro CEO Yoni Assia on Reaching 12 Million Users and Why Cryptos Are a Gateway to Stocks - Bitcoin News - January 1st, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2016 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Poised to Jump 40% Towards $10,000; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- The 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2015 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, despite its ups and downs, had a monster decade of growth - American Banker - December 31st, 2019
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2017 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price On Verge of Long-Term Doom; Heres Why - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Whats in Store for Bitcoin as the Year Draws to a Close - Market Realist - December 31st, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Likely to Gain Momentum After New Years - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, Ethereum are most profitable investments of the decade - Decrypt - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin to Benefit More from Trade War in 2020 than Halving - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019