Financial analysts always keep an eye on the percentages by type of owner of any asset they analyze.
Everybody assumes that the owners of the professional investment group are on the right side of the market, while the individual investor is often on the wrong side of the market.
As a rule, the group of professional investors has priority access to new investment proposals. They have priority access to new company IPOs, capital available, and expert information.
In contrast, the individual investor often lags behind the decisions of professionals, buying what they want to sell, and selling what they want to buy.
The cryptocurrencies case is different from any other current asset.
The crypto market is relatively recent, as it is only 11 years since Satoshi Nakamoto published the White Paper of Bitcoin.
In the beginning, the only ones who had access to the appreciated token were technologists, cryptographers, developers and a few geeks who put their computers to mine Bitcoins.
That was more than a decade ago and today, there are still very few owners of Bitcoins with illustrious surnames from the financial world.
Despite the relative opacity that surrounds cryptocurrencies, the only thing truly opaque is the name of the owner and thats only in the cases in which exchange does not intervene. The rest of the information is public, freely accessible and decentralized.
This quality of blockchain technology allows us to know some exciting things that would be difficult for us to know in the case of Gold or Diamonds.
In this blockchain world, people store the units of value in digital wallets and their content and movements are public. The magnitudes to be taken into account and which are public are the number of tokens they keep and the time since the last transaction.
Today I am going to analyze the first of these magnitudes: the accumulated volume and its distribution.
Let's take a look at the profile of owners of the leading cryptocurrencies and their implications.
The study divides the owners of cryptocurrencies into three groups:
- Retailers: Wallets that have less than 0.1% of the total circulating.
- Investors: Wallets that have between 0.1% and 1% of total current assets.
- Whales: Wallets with more than 1% of total existing assets. *
* Whales is the name given to large owners, usually early adopters of this technology and accumulating hundreds of thousands of tokens.
Bitcoin has a very democratized distribution. 88.99% of the wallets belong to the group of Retailers, 9.59% to the group of investors and only 1.41% of whales.
From this distribution, we could deduce that the Bitcoin market is not as vulnerable to whale manipulations as it is believed and that a majority of its holders have small quantities.
Ethereum is distributed among retailers at 61.03%, while investors reach 31.51% and whales reach the figure of 7.45%.
In the case of Ethereum, we see that it is more vulnerable to massive actions since, between investors and whales, they approach the percentage control of the asset. This distribution highlights that Ethereum uses PoS (Proof of Stake) as a mining protocol, which requires "stacking" tokens and makes investors not sell their stocks massively.
The BCH is distributed among retailers at 71.8%, while investors reach 22.57% of the total working capital. Whales account for 5.63%.
The Bitcoin Cash case resembles the Ethereum profile, but in this case, it uses a PoW (Proof of Work) protocol in its mining, which does not require stacking tokens to increase the mining power. This mining method could justify because its owner profile is more similar to that of Bitcoin, which also uses PoW.
The distribution of Litecoin among retailers is 53.48%; investors accumulate 40.91% of the wallets and whales keep 5.62% of the total circulating.
Litecoin uses a PoW (Proof of Work) protocol, similar to Bitcoin, although the former makes intensive use of computational memory and the latter of computing power. As we can see, investors, who are not obliged to stack Litecoins, keep them in their portfolios in a massive way.
The distribution of Cardano among retailers is 58.59%; investors accumulate 7.52%, and whales gather a significant 33.89%.
Cardano uses a PoS (Proof of Stake) protocol. From the profile we have just seen, the original whales still maintain a large number of tokens and ultimately dominate the mining. The profile also shows a high vulnerability of Cardano to the great concentration of the current total.
- Is This The Real Reason Behind Bitcoins Huge Weekend Flash Crash? - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Fed Nears Inflation Rubicon, Analysts See $50K Bitcoin in Play - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- TUM team finds Bitcoin accounts for 2/3 of total energy consumption of cryptocurrencies - Green Car Congress - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin's flash crash and recent rally explained - BNN - August 4th, 2020
- Over 90% of ETH's Supply Now in Profit | Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - August 4th, 2020
- Chinese Bitcoin Miners Face Tougher Than Ever Rainy Season in 2020 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Is Booming in Uncertain Russia, With 350% Spike in New Users on Paxful | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - August 4th, 2020
- 17-year-old accused of masterminding Twitter bitcoin scam - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Scaling Tech Could Have Saved Companies and Users $500M in Fees: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- Government-Owned Swiss Bank Launching Crypto Trading and Custody Services | News - Bitcoin News - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Biotech on My Mind as Defiant Bears Get Crushed - RealMoney - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin will drop to $10K before rally resumes - Asia Times - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Proof of Stake BitcoinPoS BPS - News Anyway - August 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Beating Bitcoin In More Ways Than One - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- A Panel of Experts See Bitcoin Averaging $12948 by Year End - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- 'Ferocious Rally': Weiss Ratings Bullish on Bitcoin, Price to Hit $70K Next Year | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Thieves Hit Cashaa - Infosecurity Magazine - July 14th, 2020
- $424 Million and Numismatic Value: There's Only 20000 Casascius Physical Bitcoins Left Unspent | Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- This Exchange Crashed Bitcoin Price to $9K: Heres Why Thats Bullish - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- US Army Requests Information on Tools to Track Cryptocurrency Transactions | News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- 'Fiat and Money Printing' Street Mural Earns $500 in Bitcoin Donations in Five Days | News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volume Slumps; Will TikTok Revive Dogecoin? - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Comparing Apple to Bitcoin? Crypto Occupies a Class of Its Own - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- Huobi Futures to launch bitcoin options trading in Q3 - HedgeWeek - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Transactions: New High for Argentina as Confidence in the Peso Tanks - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- CoinSwap and the Ongoing Effort to Make Bitcoin Privacy 'Invisible' - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 14th, 2020
- Black wealth must exit to Bitcoin, says author Isaiah Jackson - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Retreat As Bulls Run Out Of Steam At The 50-Day SMA - InvestingCube - July 14th, 2020
- US Dept of Homeland Security Buys Analytics Software From Coinbase | News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- Bug in Bitcoin Wallets Found Using the Replace-By-Fee Feature - PRNewswire - July 14th, 2020
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - Yahoo Finance - July 9th, 2020
- ModiHost's Token Is Live on HitBTC, the Leading European Bitcoin Exchange | Press release - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- For The First Time It's Free To Hold Bitcoin In A Retirement Account - Introducing The No Annual Fee Choice IRA For Digital And Traditional Assets -... - July 9th, 2020
- Permissionless Software Foundation Aims to Foster Open-Source Software With Bitcoin Cash - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Never Be Truly Private Says Andreas Antonopoulos - Cointelegraph - July 8th, 2020
- Forget Bitcoin and Cash ISAs! I'd buy cheap FTSE 100 shares now to beat the State Pension - Yahoo Finance UK - July 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Bitcoin locked in DeFi hits all-time high of $2 billion - Decrypt - July 8th, 2020
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Three Most Controversial Bitcoin Price Models and What They Predict - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Trumps Former Sanctions Chief Joins Bitcoin Investigation Firm Advisory Board As Part Of Expanded $49 Million Investment - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Undo Button & Fleeing Firms: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Up 27% in First Half of 2020, Beating Gold, Silver and Platinum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Popular Stablecoin Tether Is Now Circulating on the Bitcoin Cash Network - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Demand for Bitcoin Will See a Dramatic Shift in 8 Years - Retail Investors to Eat up Entire New Supply | Economics - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Breadwallet and Ledger Live Released Fixes for Flaws in Bitcoin Wallets - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Developer Reveals Layer-Two Private Messaging and Payment System on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Equities Buoy Bitcoin, But Price Headwinds Are Unchanged - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Alleged scammers hid $14 million of stolen money in Bitcoin - Decrypt - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin As A Payment System Crypto Cards And The Rocky Road They Travel - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin will hit $50,000 by the end of the year Nexo co-founder - Crypto News Flash - July 7th, 2020
- Crypto Derivatives Volumes Crash 36% to $393 Billion in June, a Low for 2020 | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- 20K Bitcoin Is Still On The Table - Futures Magazine - July 7th, 2020
- First Mover: The Return of the Bitcoin Retail Investor (And Why Thats a Good Thing) - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- The most secretive Bitcoin wallet just moved nearly $1 billion - Decrypt - June 30th, 2020
- Why the Stock-to-Flow Bitcoin Valuation Model Is Wrong - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Will Take a Long Time to Dethrone the Dollar - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Skeptics Concerned Plustoken Scammers Plan to Dump $187M Worth of Ethereum | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin.org Maintainer Calls for the Removal of Cobra, Website Owner Then Fires Him - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- An Israeli Blockchain Startup Claims Theyve Invented an Undo Button for Bitcoin Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cardanos ADA Weekly Technical Analysis June 29th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Theory of Bitcoin: Essential knowledge from Craig Wright and Ryan X. Charles - CoinGeek - June 30th, 2020
- Bolstering Separation of Money and State Following the 244th Independence Day - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Legendary Investor Jim Rogers Warns Governments Will Have To Eliminate Bitcoin - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- What Changed My Mind About Bitcoin Narratives - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- The Last Time Volatility Was This Low Bitcoin Went On to Rally By $2K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- Record Unemployment Has Contributed To A Striking Shift Toward Bitcoin, New Research Reveals - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- Developer Who Successfully Hacked Bitcoin Wallet Ensures BTC Is Still Safe - Cointelegraph - June 27th, 2020
- What will happen to Bitcoin after all 21 million are mined? - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- Leveraged Tokens Soon Available on the Bitcoin.com Exchange | Promoted - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin mining farm buys up 17,600 minersdespite the halving - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- 6 Privacy-Enhancing Tools That Place Bitcoin Cash Transactions Ahead of the Pack | Privacy - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining Chip Manufacturer Ebang to List on Nasdaq This Week - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Suddenly Plunged To $8,900And It May Kickstart A 3-Month Correction - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Inactive Bitcoin Supply Reaches 4-Year High, Pointing to Bullish Sentiment - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Crypto 101: How to Send and Receive Bitcoin Cash Via the Bitcoin.com Wallet | Featured - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why 2020 Is a Great Year for Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Currency wars: The rise of bitcoin - Opinion - Jakarta Post - June 16th, 2020
- Encrypted Messaging Site Privnote Cloned to Steal Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin is becoming more trustworthy than big banks, says survey - Decrypt - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin-Friendly Top US Banking Regulator Aims to Solve Banks' Problems With Decentralization | News - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020