It seems there is a lot of turmoil happening in the world, as the year 2020 keeps giving and giving. From natural disasters, a global pandemic, and race wars and riots, everyone is wondering what will happen next. However, something happened earlier this year that resonated with me personally, and I wanted to touch on this subject as I dont believe it has received enough attention and is a topic that in particular for this year, is important because of whats going on around the world, especially in the cryptocurrency space.
Its not a big surprise for people to hear or know that women in the tech sector are at times, far and few between. Depending on the space youre in, it may be hard to find other women in your office. For example, if youre a female engineer, you may be the only one or maybe there are two in your entire team that are women.
According to an article written earlier this year by CIO, women make up 47% of all employed adults in the U.S., but only hold about 25% of technology related positions. Also, women who are working in the computing sector are typically paid less than their male counterparts. On top of that, women have a higher likelihood of facing discrimination in the workplace.
Earlier this year, right when the United States was starting to get hit hard with the Corona Virus, there was news that hit crypto twitter Binance is hiring and the only requirements are beautiful young girls with big boobs. You can imagine my shock.
Being a female in a male dominated industry where its already hard to get a name for yourself, I was just sent back years by one of the biggest exchanges in the crypto space. From the different news articles that popped up on the issue, it was discovered that Binance was hiring women so they could exploit them in order to potentially get new clients and customers.
The exchange was hiring them not because they possess the knowledge and experience to do the job, but they were hiring them strictly because of how they looked.
They later recanted what happened, saying they were joking about the job requirements, however, the damage was done. Women everywhere in the crypto space felt this, especially those of us who work for exchanges. Binance being a peer in the space, set the bar really low for all us, and now we have to work our way back up, whether it was a joke or not.
Currently there are over 30 million people unemployed in the United States, primarily due to the Corona Virus pandemic. This staggering number has many people worried, including myself. If you split that right down the middle, which its probably not a straight split, but to argue the point, lets say there are somewhere around ~15 million women who are unemployed. Who do you think will be going after your job? With the bar set low, women are now facing an even bigger struggle to get employed and keep their jobs, especially in this booming space with lots of competition.
Being in the crypto space and working for another top exchange, OKEx.com, I have the personal experience and statistics to help paint the picture. Lets take a raw look at some numbers to give you a firsthand view into who is using these exchanges.
As you can see, the number of female users (29.8%) that come and use OKEx is far less than the male users (70.2%).
For the age demographics of people using the exchange, 38% of the users belong to the age group 25-34, and 31% of the users are 18-24, making up nearly 70% of all the users on our platform.
The top countries that represent where the majority of our users are coming from are Indonesia, Russia, India, Vietnam, China, and Ukraine.
As a woman who works in the cryptocurrency industry, I think I have a different view of the situation. Every workplace has its own gender preference at an early stage, and it will become more diverse as time goes by and the company grows.
One of the challenges that I face is the worry about being treated less with less importance compared to a male employee with my voice not being heard every time.
One of my friends asked me the other day if people at my work even want to hear a females opinion? Frankly speaking, I have not experienced this kind of issue, but it is still a concern. I do feel I work in a very healthy, organic, and fair work environment. I can speak up anytime I want to express my opinions in the office. But not all work places are like this, and as others have shown, women are not always treated equally and fairly.
Overall, in the crypto community, I feel valued. Also, most of the people that I work with are very professional. But this doesnt go without saying I have different challenges and issues to deal with being a woman and dealing with others who may not value what I have to bring to the table.
I have to say that representation of females in the technology sector still has a long way to go before women are no longer considered a minority in tech, and its a similar scenario in the blockchain and crypto sector.
At OKEx, Im glad to see other female employees, which there are plenty of. However, for web developers and engineers, its still far less below than what I would like to see, which is a general phenomenon across the whole computer science field. On my team, I am one of the rare female faces. This gender imbalance problem arises from school age challenges, all the way up to adulthood where women arent always treated the same.
My hope is that this will change as time goes on and new technologies emerge such as blockchain and crypto, which will help pave the way for women to give us an opportunity to make our mark.
This OP-ed is written by Summer Lyu.
Summer Lyu is a Global Business Manager at OKEx.com who accomplished her undergraduate and graduate degrees at Northeastern University in Boston. She is passionate about crypto, business communication, reading, and traveling. She is also working on increasing the awareness of womens rights and trying to bring equal opportunities for women in the workplace.
What do you think about this subject? Let us know in the comments section below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
See the original post:
Working in the Cryptocurrency Industry as a Woman | Op-Ed Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News
- Bitcoin now has a 7% chance of beating $20K highs in the next 2 months - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- For the first time since 2018 Bitcoin balances on exchanges fell below 2.5M - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin top signal from 2017 reappears, but heres why it may not matter this time - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- First Mover: PayPal Rushes In and Bitcoin Breaches $12K, While USDC Gains on Tether - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Macro Investor Dan Tapiero on Crypto Adoption: Emerging Economies Ahead of Developed States | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ban All Ransomware Payments, in Bitcoin or Otherwise - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Hotel Bitcoin ATMs on the Rise With Addition of Swiss Hotel Dolder Grand | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- World Gold Council Survey Shows Cryptocurrency Investment the 5th Most Popular in Russia - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum Q3 Volume Dwarfs Bitcoin's, Fueled by DeFi - Decrypt - October 23rd, 2020
- Crypto fans rejoice: Bitcoin rallies to the brink of $12,000 - Aljazeera.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 187,000 BTC Drained: Over $2 Billion in Bitcoin Leave the Top Exchanges Since June | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- A Former Goldman Sachs Hedge Fund Chief Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Surge To $1 MillionHeres Why - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin minings future is green, and Russia has the best chance - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Has Bitcoin Finally Met Its Match? - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin rips and cruise ships: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Where Does Bitcoin Fit in the Global Reserve Currency Game? - CoinDesk - Coindesk - October 19th, 2020
- Enormous wall of money will send Bitcoin to $1M in 2025 Raoul Pal - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Intrinsic Value: Crypto Community Responds to Bank of England Governor | News - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Ready For a New Pop Will It Do It Today? - InvestingCube - October 19th, 2020
- 'Enormous Wall of Money' Coming Into Bitcoin, Price to Reach $1 Million in 5 Years, Says Raoul Pal - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Ripple's XRP - Weekly Technical Analysis October 19th, 2020 - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: Bitcoin on Ethereum The Whos, Whats and Whys - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- First Mover: Privacy Is Litecoin's Ace in the Hole as JPMorgan Touts Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- Hathor Merge Mining Pool Commands 33% of the Bitcoin Cash Hashrate - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Cashfusion Use Increased by 328%, $200M in BCH Fused and Close to 20,000 Fusions | Privacy - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- The Silk Road Balance Sheet Discrepancy: Bitcoin Worth $4.8 Billion Still Missing | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoins Taproot is ready to go, but it's unlikely to be included in the next release - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- How will the US presidential election affect the price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- $12K Bitcoin price back on the table after BTC rallies above $11.4K - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- Coinbase's 'Mission' Violates the Spirit of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: the UK and US are clamping down on crypto trading here's why it's not yet a big deal - The Conversation UK - October 11th, 2020
- Lyn Alden: Bitcoin Correlations Depend on What Phase It Is In - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- UK Bans Sale of Crypto Derivatives to Retail Investors from January 2021 | News - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Yearn Finance Token Value Slides 67%, While Locked Value Loses Over $300M | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price holds $10.5K but a $30M sell wall looms overhead - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin To Hit $100,000 in Five Years as Demand and Adoption Increase - Report | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Trump, price dots and COVID-19: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- $8M Worth of 'Sleeping' Bitcoin Rewards from 2010 Moved the Day Before 'Black Thursday' - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Interest in Bitcoin Soars in Egypt Amid Economic Crisis and Unemployment | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- A Major Tesla Investor Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Be Worth More Than $1 Trillion In Under 10 Years - Forbes - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress: Bitcoin Sent to All Congress Members' Campaigns | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Stacking Satoshis: Leveraging Defi Applications to Earn More Bitcoin | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- FCA bans the public from Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency derivatives - Evening Standard - October 6th, 2020
- Pro-Crypto PAC Giving $50 in Bitcoin to the Campaign of Each Member of Congress - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 6th, 2020
- Ethereum Transaction Fees Fall 82%, as Defi Hype Eases | Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress sends $50 in Bitcoin to all US Congress members - Crypto News Flash - October 6th, 2020
- Abkhazia Lifts Two-Year Ban on Bitcoin Mining, Moves to Regulate the Sector | Regulation - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Why reduced Bitcoin futures volume may signal the start of a new bull trend - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Rebounds to $10.5K; Stablecoin Market Cap Goes Parabolic - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 2nd, 2020
- Spike in new participants buying Bitcoin is obviously bullish Analyst - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Romania set to auction Bitcoin and Ether confiscated in criminal case - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Balances on Exchanges at 2-Year Low and That May Be a Bullish Sign - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 2nd, 2020
- Venezuela To Start Using Cryptocurrency in Global Trade in Efforts To Fend off US Sanctions | Emerging Markets - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Posts a 66-Day Consecutive Streak Above the $10K Price Range | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Aurus Disrupts the Gold Industry Today Its Ecosystem Lists at a Value of $75m | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto's Peer-to-Peer vision for Bitcoin - Korea IT Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Bets on the US Election Show Joe Biden Winning the Presidency by 60% - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- At $10,600, Bitcoin price is on track for its second-best quarter ever - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- Devere Group CEO Predicts Bitcoin Can Replace Gold as Top Safe-Haven Within a Generation | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- Ex-CEO of Bitcoin.com, a Leading Proponent of Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Joins Nodle's Board to Help Develop the Nodle Cash Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- Trump, tax and hacks: 5 things shaping Bitcoin price action this week - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- One of Hal Finney's lost contributions to Bitcoin Core to be 'resurrected' - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- French police arrest terror financing ring that used Bitcoin coupons - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- What The IRS's Interest In Your Bitcoins Says About The Future Of Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - September 30th, 2020
- New DeFi Project NEW KANGEN (NEWG) Presale Will Start on 2nd October 2020 | Press release - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- Token Projects to Recover $130M from the Kucoin Hack, Devs Condemned for Centralization - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- A Record $1.2 Billion in Bitcoin Has Now Moved to Ethereum - Decrypt - September 30th, 2020
- USDT Trading Arrives on Bitcoin Global - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2020
- The Bitcoin Family: Still on the RoadAfter Three Years! - Decrypt - September 30th, 2020
- What REALLY Moves Bitcoin? - Elliott Wave International - September 30th, 2020
- Listen to Calvin Ayre talk about how he found opportunity in Bitcoin - CalvinAyre.com - September 30th, 2020
- Would Bitcoin suffer if the lead maintainers were kidnapped by aliens? - Cointelegraph - September 12th, 2020
- New DeFi Project Xfinance(XFI) ILO Presale Will Start Today | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- On-chain data signals increasing Bitcoin activity But theres a catch - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency are no hedge for inflation - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- TOP 5 Popular Cryptocurrencies Other than Bitcoin - Analytics Insight - September 10th, 2020
- 'High' Severity Bug in Bitcoin Software Revealed 2 Years After Fix - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 10th, 2020
- Number of Bitcoin Addresses Holding at Least 1 BTC Hits New ATH - Ethereum World News - September 10th, 2020
- The adjusted on-chain volume of Bitcoin and Ethereum hit a 30-month high in August - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2020
- Crypto Borrowing: Here Are Seven of the Best Interest Rates on the Market | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020