A primal societal fear can cause a public panic beyond reason. Its not bad. It can motivate.
In 1938, American audiences were fearful of falling victim to Japanese militarism, Bolshevism, or Nazism.
When they heard a radio adaptation of the 19th century novel War of the Worlds, public panic that a Martian invasion was real shut down phone switches and electrical grids even thousands of miles away from the apparent New York City invasion.
War of the Worlds
Though it was probably impossible to gauge public reaction in Stalinist Russia, Alexander Nevsky a 1938 propaganda masterpiece describing, allegedly, a 13th century Teutonic invasion is chilling to this day.
Bitcoin is one of the most positive developments of the millennium and will, I believe, continue to foster trade and human relations. However, the genesis of its popularity is a fear of societal collapse.
Per Wikipedia, October 2008, Satoshi Nakamoto published a paper on the cryptography mailing list at metzdowd.com. Would 99.99% of humanity understand his discussion of fractional reserve banking, or for that matter, what a cryptography mailing list is?
Today, Bitcoin (BTC) is a $166 billion market phenomenon, and the whole cryptocurrency market is worth $248 billion. As technically remarkable as BTC is, it still must have touched some deep societal nerve to grow so quickly before greed took over in 2016.
Peoples fear in 2008 was not so irrational. Weve had many historic examples and two contemporary examples of how terribly things end when the government resorts to money printing to paper over its problems.
At the darkest end of the spectrum was Weimar Germanys hyperinflation which heralded Nazism, the Holocaust, and the slaughter of 50 million people in Europe.
However, you dont have to go a century back. You have now, in 2019, the starvation of Venezuela the country with the largest petroleum reserves in the world.
Also, the Zimbabwe I saw as a very young person in 1985 was harmonious and rich in nature. Now, it is unrecognisable due to dictatorship and hyperinflation.
This might all explain an irrational spike in BTC when it first launched, but the truth is this bubble has gone on for 12 years. Currently, the government executives who are supposed to be the most responsible are not.
In Europe, September 12 2019, the Governing Council of the ECB took the following monetary policy decisions:
In the USA, the worlds reserve currency is run by the federal reserve, whose increased role in the US economy and financial system is more than disturbing.
Japan, whom people might have justifiably feared taking over the world in the 1980s, seems to have transformed itself into a banana republic of capitalism. While the economy and culture is still shockingly impressive, its debt is 223% of its economy.
Which brings us back to Bitcoin
If phases of death psychology include anger, denial, and acceptance, BTC has its own path: fear, greed, and discovery.
People were justifiably scared a decade ago of complete financial collapse. Lingering fears about the major economic zones and liberal democracies in Japan, the USA, and the EU are rational.
Of course, everybody loves to gamble, and the 2017 price spike proved irresistible to droves of investors and speculators. It was also a goldmine for fraud artists.
Now, all sorts of wonderful things are happening.
Bitcoin is facilitating international trade for small companies, for instance, who can now pay foreign contractors without the usual hang-ups. African entrepreneurs are making money trading electronic and other goods. There are opportunities for 20-year-olds that their seniors would never have experienced.
Looking at hash rates and cryptography would bore most people to death. However, a healthy dose of fear, greed, and eventual mistrust gave birth to something wonderful.
Keep your eyes on Bitcoin. Its emotional birth led to a global transformation that is only in its infancy.
Nicholas Levenstein has been a classical musician, IT and strategy consultant, and financier. He has a BA (cum laude) from Yale University and an MBA from University of California, Los Angeles. Recently bitten by the Bitcoin bug, he is contemplating various arbitrage and financial strategies. See more at http://www.levenstein.net.
The post Zeitgeist and Bitcoin appeared first on Coin Rivet.
Read the rest here:
Zeitgeist and Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance
- Bitcoin battered: The worst crypto catastrophes of 2019 - ZDNet - December 6th, 2019
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Futures - Forbes - December 6th, 2019
- Ethereum (ETH) Flirts With Key Resistance, Bitcoin Up 3% - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Tim Draper Says His $250,000 Bitcoin Price Prediction Is Not Based on Halvening - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- Now Is One of the Top 3 Greatest Buying Opportunities for Bitcoin: Analyst - CCN.com - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin's bumpy revolution may be only just beginning - The Independent - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) gets $500 more expensive in a matter of minutes. Whales behind the move? - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Florida company headquarters relocation stalled after Bitcoin bust - Orlando - Orlando Business Journal - December 6th, 2019
- Billionaire Ray Dalio on Bitcoin and Stablecoins: Possibly Never - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin is in recovery mode ahead of the weekend - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin CME Futures Gaps Are Filled With 95% Certainty, But Trading Them Is Risky - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin Trades Range-Bound As Investors Wait And See - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Why a massive $9 billion of bitcoin moved in one hour - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Prominent Investor Says Halving Won't Have a Big Impact on Bitcoin Price, Here's Why - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Crypto Is UnstoppableIs Bitcoin Really On The Cusp Of A Huge Santa Rally? - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- 70 cryptocurrency hedge funds have closed so far this year, investors weary of Bitcoin - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- How the bitcoin market always overreacts - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- $60 million liquidated as Bitcoin pumps 8% in three minutes - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin To Spend 2020 In Accumulation Mode, Ideal Buy Zone - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Four Bitcoin lost on the Lightning Network finally recovered - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Danish bank staff banned from buying Bitcoin with their own money urged to dump holdings - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Watch the first-ever bitcoin TV commercial launched in France - Fox Business - December 5th, 2019
- Peter Schiff on Bitcoin Price Drop: "Pump-and-Dumpers Are Losing Their Mojo" - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Is Bitcoin a better investment than gold, oil and stocks? - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Blasts Past $7,500, but Bulls Are Not Out of the Woods Yet - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD recovery stalled at $7,400 Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- 24 Chinese nationals arrested in Thailand over alleged Bitcoin call center scam - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Single Bitcoin Block Moves Funds the Size of Satoshi's Stash - Bitcoinist - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) Relatively Muted, Signs of Further Weakness - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: The calm before the storm - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ponzi Scheme That Keeps Dumping BTC Blamed for Bearish Price Action - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Voyager Pays Out the First Month of Interest to Bitcoin (BTC) Holders - SludgeFeed - December 5th, 2019
- Is This Why Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, And Ripples XRP Suddenly Rocketed Over Thanksgiving? - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Two Years of Upside? Bitcoin Yearly Candles Hint Explosive Price Growth Incoming - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Calvin Ayre Increases Investment in Bitcoin SV Ecosystem with Funding for sCrypt Smart Contract Venture - PRNewswire - December 2nd, 2019
- How the Upcoming Bitcoin Halving Compares to Previous Cycles - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- BitCoin and Cryptoasset Regulation: Recent Cases from Canada - JD Supra - December 2nd, 2019
- Understanding the distribution of the crypto market: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Cardano - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- Vertcoin Network Sabotaged by Another 51% Attack - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Drops 4.53%, But Downtrend Has Cooled and Dominance is Now Heading Up | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - December 2nd, 2019
- Technical Weekly - Bitcoin bulls on thin ice; Altcoins mixed - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- As Bitcoin Suddenly Bounces, A New Central Bank Crypto Rival Could End Evil Bitcoin - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Here Are The Key Bitcoin Levels To Watch - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Xi sees the future of China in the tech behind bitcoin - South China Morning Post - December 2nd, 2019
- How Bitcoin points to the future of decentralized protest - Decrypt - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoins Hash Rate is On the Decline; Heres What This Could Mean - Ethereum World News - December 2nd, 2019
- Sunday Digest: Bitcoin Price And Other Crypto News - Bitcoinist - December 2nd, 2019
- The reformation of Bitcoin - CoinGeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Has Wall Streets Love. But a Lack of Utility Means It Doesnt Have Investors. - Barron's - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Isnt Dead But One Day You Will Be - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Could Be an Alternative to Endless Money Printing - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Move Over Jack Dorsey And Elon Musk, Theres A New Bitcoin Believer In Silicon Valley - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gets a Big Boost in Germany After Banks Allowed to Offer Cryptocurrencies - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash can go up a thousand times from where it is now: 'Bitcoin Jesus' - CNBC - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gives the World Democratization of Savings Hedge Fund Exec - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2019
- What the Fed Reserve's Balance Sheet Expansion Means for Bitcoin - Coindesk - November 30th, 2019
- Will Bitcoin Hit Peak Exhaustion in 2019 End? What Indicators Show - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Now Faces Its Do-or-Die Moment. Will It Drop to $6,200? - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Nobody knows what happened to this bitcoin exchange CEO - Decrypt - November 30th, 2019
- Forget the Noise; Traders Explain Why You Should Be Long-Term Bullish on Bitcoin - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin price: values show signing of recovery following slump - The Week UK - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin is hard to understand. So is its carbon footprint. - Grist - November 30th, 2019
- TV Host Refusing Free 100 Bitcoin Because Its Worthless Is Hypocritical - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin adoption to be driven by collateralized services: Max Keiser - AMBCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Instead of Apartments: Director of Failed Property Developer Bought Crypto with Customers' D - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoins Bounce Bumped Into The Resistance - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Fell 50% From Its 2019 High. Has It Bottomed Out? - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin price suddenly surges amid positive predictions - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin is Screaming to Investors That Volatility is Inbound - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- 4 Possible Reasons Bitcoin Dropped to $6.5K, According to VanEck Exec - Cointelegraph - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin has crashed again little wonder as it fails every test to be considered a currency - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Yahoo Finance - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is Cratering Again, Some People Believe For The Last Time, Again - Dealbreaker - November 26th, 2019
- This Bitcoin Moving Average Can Help Determine the Direction of Trends, Claims Analyst - BeInCrypto - November 26th, 2019
- How to Earn and Spend Bitcoin on Black Friday 2019 - Coindesk - November 26th, 2019
- The ABCs of bitcoin ATM regulation and compliance in the US - ATM Marketplace - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin tipped to slide further to US$6,500 on China clampdown - South China Morning Post - November 26th, 2019
- Localethereum Becomes Localcryptos and Adds BTC Trading - Bitcoin News - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Recovers Above $7,000 But Markets Shiver in Extreme Fear - CCN.com - November 26th, 2019
- Stock to Flow Analyst Sees Bitcoin Trading at $10,000 Before End of Year - CCN.com - November 26th, 2019