SINGAPORE: When one thinks about clutter, the first thing that comes to mind is physical mess. But we often do not think about the thousands of emails, photos and documents we hoard on our electronic devices and online.
This mountain of digital clutter can affect us in other ways, and even creates anxiety.
Dr Jessie Chua, a senior clinical psychologist with the Resilienz Clinic, compares digital clutter to physical clutter: Both can cause a similar amount of stress on ones mind.
It takes up that same amount of space that you can use for, say, creativity or for focus on work, she explained. It doesnt matter whether its visible or not visible; its still in the brain.
The brains frontal lobe sometimes needs space to help one think and plan. But when it becomes overwhelmed, it triggers another part of the brain called the amygdala.
This is the part of the brain that generates emotions the most dominant one is anxiety, she said.
When theres so much clutter, for example emails, this would continue to fire to a point where the body gets overwhelmed with anxiety.
Digital clutter not only affects an individuals well-being, but also constitutes a cybersecurity risk, as the programme Why It Matters discovers. (Watch the episode here.)
RUNNING OUT OF SPACE
A research paper presented last year said the emergence of digital devices like smartphones, engagement in social media networks and access to affordable digital storage has increased the propensity of an individual to acquire and store digital content without carefully considering its repercussions.
Globally, the digital data generated each day amounts to at least two to three exabytes (two to three billion gigabytes), according to Associate Professor Anupam Chattopadhyay from Nanyang Technological Universitys School of Computer Science and Engineering.
Were sending more than a few thousands of tweets every minute (and) uploading hundreds and thousands of photos on Instagram, he said.
At this rate, the world will run of storage space in future, he warned. I calculated this number to be 200 years at most.
Data storage also places a burden on the environment. A significant amount of energy is used in running a data centre, including the cooling equipment to maintain the facilitys temperature.
It is estimated that by 2030, data centres in Singapore will account for up to 12 per cent of the countrys total energy demand, ST Telemedia Global Data Centres states on its website.
According to the Infocomm Media Development Authority, the 10 largest data centre operators in Singapore consume as much energy as 130,000 typical Housing and Development Board households.
Worldwide, data centres account for two per cent of greenhouse gas emissions today. That is the same carbon footprint as the aviation sectors 895 million tonnes of carbon dioxide. But the information technology sectors emissions are projected to exceed that.
Having too many digital files also creates cybersecurity problems, given that many people store private documents and photos on their devices. The danger is that information can be compromised in a data breach.
Horangi Cyber Security chief executive officer Paul Hadjy said one must be cognisant when granting apps access to things like the camera roll on ones phone.
The best strategy is to update ones apps every so often and remove apps that one is not using.
Sometimes app companies go out of business, and if you keep those older apps over time, vulnerabilities get discovered, he explained. Those apps become more susceptible and allow access to things like your photos.
So here are five tips on organising and minimising digital clutter:
1. CATEGORISE AND DELETE
Decluttering queen Marie Kondo tidies up physical spaces like no other, and one of her KonMari consultants in training, Amanda Ling, suggested the Konmari method for digital clutter too: Put everything in a similar category into a single folder.
This could help one to realise how much data one has accumulated. From there, one can sort out the items to delete from the ones to keep the ones that spark joy.
For example, she suggested to Why It Matters host Joshua Lim that he delete the apps he does not use regularly, as his smartphone contained many apps, of which some were similar.
If you find that you really need (an app), then just re-download it. Its just a click away, she said.
Sometimes when you limit the choices a little bit, it can give you some clarity in deciding which is best for you.
One should review ones digital files and delete those that are no longer needed also to avoid being compromised by hackers, the Cyber Security Agency of Singapore (CSA) says on its website.
This includes files stored on devices as well as online and portable storage.
2. KEEP YOUR EMAIL INBOX CLEAN
Email accounts, too, can contain sensitive information such as reset passwords. So the CSA advises: Deleting emails that you no longer require would reduce the amount of information that would be compromised, even if your email accounts were hacked.
Beyond deleting emails, Ling suggested taking the time to also unsubscribe from emails that are of no value, since being bombarded with many emails, notifications and content each day can affect ones focus and productivity.
It really is about keeping track and being more intentional, she said.
People might think digital minimalism is too extreme. Its actually more extreme with the way were exposing ourselves, day to day, (to the consumption of digital content).
3. ARCHIVE OFTEN
Haw-San Au-Yong, a professional organiser with Edits Inc who helps to people declutter their physical and digital spaces, suggested taking the time to create folders and archive items.
Alerts can be set up with filters to go directly into a folder, instead of them cluttering up your inbox, so you can see the more important things that you need to take action on, she said.
Folders and archiving also make a difference to the number of things seen on ones desktop, as well as the number of electronic bookmarks.
4. SEND THEM TO THE CLOUD
To reduce the amount of digital baggage on ones devices, one can turn to cloud storage, such as Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Drive, advises the Government Technology Agency. But remember to categorise things properly in cloud storage too.
5. CLOSE UNNECESSARY ONLINE ACCOUNTS
Finally, delete online accounts that one no longer accesses, as well as the data stored in the account. And revoke any prior permissions granted to the company that provided the service, says the CSA.
This reduces the risk of information exposure if the company suffers a data breach. For the remaining accounts, it is advisable to review the privacy settings and permissions, especially if the service is accessing information it should not require.
Watch the episode here. Why It Matters is telecast every Monday at 9pm.
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market to Grow at a CAGR of 21.9% from 2020 to 2027 to Reach $222 Billion by 2027 - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Claims Another Win With Box Partnership - Forbes - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Enterprise Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: The Development Strategies Adopted By Major Key Players And To Understand The Competitive Scenario - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- BitDam Advanced Threat Protection now available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace - Help Net Security - July 23rd, 2020
- Nexsan Unity taps into cloud and Assureon archive - TechTarget - July 23rd, 2020
- IPVanish July sale: three months of VPN cover for the price of one with this deal - Tom's Guide UK - July 23rd, 2020
- Commvault integrates Hedvig with HyperScale X appliance Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 23rd, 2020
- Q&A: Sophos poll shows how attackers are taking advantage of cloud migration to wreak havoc - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Life After COVID 19: E-Discovery Considerations for Attorneys and Clients - JD Supra - July 23rd, 2020
- 4 Ways to Advance Your Tech Without Sacrificing Security - Security Boulevard - July 7th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Is expected to Witness Significant Growth between 2020 to 2028| Top Key Players- AWS, IBM, Microsoft, Google, Oracle, HPE - Owned - July 7th, 2020
- Software-defined storage: It's a Thing Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 7th, 2020
- Microsoft takes legal action against COVID-19-related cybercrime - Microsoft on the Issues - Microsoft - July 7th, 2020
- How Vodafone is helping MSMEs gear up for their business revival - YourStory - July 7th, 2020
- IP Video Surveillance And VSaaS Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Apsters News - July 7th, 2020
- Alternatives to banned apps Shareit and Xender for file transfer - Digit - July 4th, 2020
- I Don't Care How Great These OneDrive Improvements Are, I'm Not Using It - Gizmodo UK - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Based Storage Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2024 - AlgosOnline - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market 2020, Analysis by Growing Demand, Types, Application, Top Trends, User-Demand and Opportunities Assessment till... - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market to Grow at Robust CAGR in the COVID-19 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 4th, 2020
- Global Software-Defined Storage Market 2020-2024| Surge in Cloud Adoption to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- This cheap HP laptop hides a surprising secret that barely anyone noticed - TechRadar - July 4th, 2020
- NIAGARA GENEALOGY: Treasure your heirlooms and their stories - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault partners with Microsoft to deliver SaaS and cloud technology - ChannelLife New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- ZM: 3 Work From Home Stocks for the Second Half of 2020 - StockNews.com - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault and Microsoft Partner to Deliver SaaS and Cloud Technology Solutions - IT News Africa - July 4th, 2020
- Lockly Vision critique: A smart lock and a online video doorbell in a person effectively-built unit - Tech Gaming Report - July 4th, 2020
- Dell GM On Future With VMware And Besting HPE GreenLake - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - July 4th, 2020
- Igneous CEO hands over reins to storage industry vet Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 2nd, 2020
- The Pros and Cons of Hybrid vs Private Cloud Computing - Mighty Gadget - July 2nd, 2020
- Will we ever have a universal file storage platform? - BroadbandDeals - July 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft is finally making one of Windows 10s most unloved features actually useful - TechRadar - July 2nd, 2020
- 6 basics of storage automation, predictive analytics and AI - TechTarget - July 2nd, 2020
- WithStand Software Now Available from Associated Research - PR Web - July 2nd, 2020
- AWS Takes the High Ground with Space Unit - EnterpriseAI - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateways Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- The Global Bare Metal Cloud Market is expected to grow by $ 7.89 bn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 39% during the forecast period - Yahoo... - June 29th, 2020
- Deploying the Best of Both Worlds: Data Orchestration for Hybrid Cloud - eWeek - June 29th, 2020
- Global Hybrid Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Size, Share, Product Types, Growth Analysis, Business Statistics, Future Prospects and Key Companies... - June 29th, 2020
- Qumulo Shift opens up scale-out NAS to AWS S3 in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Microsofts new Windows File Recovery tool lets you retrieve deleted documents - The Verge - June 29th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Global Private Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Growth Rate of XX% CAGR by Competitive Factors, Innovative-Technology, Demands and Services Offered Till... - June 29th, 2020
- IHS Markit commits to three-year data and infrastructure migration to AWS cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Groundhog Day Security experts decry latest US attempt to kill end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud infrastructure continues to grow in 2020 - IT-Online - June 29th, 2020
- The Future of Peer-to-Peer Online Learning Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Content Delivery Network (CDN) Market Global Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- Current and Future Analysis of Hybrid Cloud Storage Software Market Over the Forecast Period to 2026 - Daily Facts N Trends - June 2nd, 2020
- KIOXIA Offers Thin Provisioning to Increase Cloud Storage Ability - Database Trends and Applications - June 2nd, 2020
- of COVID-19 Outbreak on Multi Cloud Storage Solutions, Global Market to witness - GroundAlerts.com - June 2nd, 2020
- BackupVault Cloud Backup review: Back(up) to reality | IT PRO - IT PRO - June 2nd, 2020
- Concert tickets and your couch: Online streaming platforms keep performers and venues in business | Opinion - PennLive - June 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft works with WANdisco to shift on-premises data lakes to the Azure cloud - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Regional Analysis, Business Growth, Applications, Emerging Opportunities And... - June 2nd, 2020
- Samsung's Galaxy M11 takes the fight to the Redmi Note 8 in India - Android Central - June 2nd, 2020
- Managing the capacity for remote work - ITWeb - June 2nd, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Reaching the limits of unlimited storage in Google Photos - telegraphherald.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Cloud Storage Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026 -... - June 1st, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market: Leading Segments and their Growth Drivers 2020-2026 - ITResearchBrief.com - June 1st, 2020
- Pure Storage CEO On Why The Firm Was 'Well Positioned' Before COVID-19 Hit And What's Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution... - June 1st, 2020
- Wasabi CEO David Friend: New $30 Million Funding Round Comes From 'Family Offices,' Not Venture Capital - CRN: Technology news for channel partners... - June 1st, 2020
- How to Take Your Work Offline in Case of an Emergency - WIRED - June 1st, 2020
- Data protection best practice more important than ever in cloud environment - ITWeb - June 1st, 2020
- E-Discovery Preservation: What to Consider as Offices Open Back Up from COVID-19 - JD Supra - June 1st, 2020
- Dell's OneFS for Google Cloud. What do the competitors think? - Blocks and Files - June 1st, 2020
- 69% off and free cloud storage makes this VPN deal one of the best around right now - TechRadar India - May 19th, 2020
- GoodFirms Survey: Around 92.13% People Believe Cloud Storage have Influenced their Data Habits - WhaTech - May 19th, 2020
- Best practices and need of cloud storage for protecting corporate and personal data - CRN.in - May 19th, 2020