With the recent increase in remote work, now is a great time to try out the cloud for backup.
One of the best ways to get started with cloud backups is to try one of the many available free services. You can sample a variety of providers to get a feel for their strengths and weaknesses before investing in one specific paid product.
The best free cloud backup options are somewhat limited. Even so, there are some providers you should consider.
IDrive might be the best known of the free cloud backup providers. It offers a free basic plan that includes up to 5 GB of storage. The company also offers personal plans starting at $52.12 per year for 5 TB or $74.62 per year for 10 TB.
IDrive also provides business plans, but these plans cost more than the personal plans and generally include less storage. The 250 GB plan starts at $74.62 per year, and a 1.25 TB plan starts at $374.62 per year.
Jottacloud is another popular option for users looking for free cloud backup services. Jottacloud's free personal plan comes with 5 GB of storage and allows for a single user account. The company also offers a personal plan with unlimited cloud storage for 7.5 Euros (about $9) per month, but it throttles upload speeds if the storage consumption exceeds 5 TB. The company also has multiuser personal plans available, starting at 6.5 Euros per month for 1 TB of storage.
Jottacloud has a free business subscription that includes 5 GB of space and supports up to two users. Other business plans range between 8.99 Euros and 29.99 Euros per month. These plans include 1 TB of storage and vary in terms of the number of users that they support. Extra storage costs 6.5 Euros per month per TB.
Those who are looking for a 100% free and practical platform should consider a different approach. Rather than looking for a provider that offers free storage space, the best free cloud backup may ultimately be an open source or "community edition" backup application that you pair with free cloud storage. This could provide you with more storage space and fewer limitations than you would encounter with a free cloud backup product.
Rather than looking for a provider that offers free storage space, the best free cloud backup may ultimately be an open source or 'community edition' backup application that you pair with free cloud storage.
Several backup providers offer open source products -- options such as Duplicity. Duplicity is a command-line backup utility that creates encrypted tarballs, which you can write to free cloud storage. Those who prefer a GUI-based tool might consider the Community Edition of Veeam Backup & Replication. It can protect up to 10 workloads and perform an unlimited number of ad hoc backups.
A number of cloud providers offer free storage, which you can pair with these and other tools. Google, for instance, offers 15 GB of free storage on Google Drive. Similarly, Microsoft provides 5 GB of free storage on OneDrive, and Box offers 10 GB of free storage.
Even the best free cloud backup services almost always have significant limitations. The most common of these limitations is capacity. Backup providers usually only give their customers a relatively small amount of free backup storage before requiring them to pay for additional space.
Other limitations vary widely from one provider to the next. Some providers, for example, license their free products only for personal use, requiring business users to adopt a paid offering. Other providers might restrict the types of data that you can back up to their free product. Providers also sometimes throttle their free cloud backups to keep bandwidth available for their paying customers.
Read the original:
Explore the best free cloud backup services on the market - TechTarget
- Global Cloud Storage Providers Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Pertino, Asigra, SoftLayer, StorageCraft, Dropbox etc. - The Think... - October 27th, 2020
- NetApp plays Spot the difference in cloud services build-out Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - October 27th, 2020
- Private Cloud Storage Market Analysis, Growth Forecast Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 27th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market Growth, Demand And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Players, Types, Application and Forecast... - October 27th, 2020
- Tag: Cloud Storage - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Object Storage Market Analysis 2020-2027: by Key Manufacturers with Countries, Types, Application and Forecast Till 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market (2020 to 2025) | Growing Application in Industry, Presents Opportunities and Demand Analysis, Growth, Size and Share -... - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2023 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Integrated With Facebook as Photo and Video Transfer Destination - PRNewswire - October 24th, 2020
- Enterprise Data Cloud Storage Software Market is projected to grow at High CAGR during the forecast period, 2026 | MailChimp, Constant Contact,... - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Industry Market 2020: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- 5 top tips for businesses in data backup and recovery - Tom's Guide - October 24th, 2020
- Unified file and object storage: The best of both worlds? - ComputerWeekly.com - October 24th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage market will continue to boom says analyst - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- Veeam Enhances Offerings To Be A 'Perfect' Fit For MSPs - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market Globally Expected to Drive Growth through 2026 - KYT24 - October 24th, 2020
- BTFS is Poised to Disrupt the Cloud Storage Industry? - ihodl.com - October 15th, 2020
- Reducing cloud storage costs: what you need to know - ITProPortal - October 15th, 2020
- Save an extra 20% on VPNs, password managers, and cloud storage - Mashable - October 15th, 2020
- Cohesity hooks up with AWS to pipe data management-as-a-service at users, starting with backup - Blocks and Files - October 15th, 2020
- The Best Backup and Restore Courses and Online Training for 2020 - Solutions Review - October 15th, 2020
- NetApp Insight 2020 conference news and coverage - TechTarget - October 15th, 2020
- iPad productivity tips: Keyboard tricks, shortcuts, and more - Fast Company - October 15th, 2020
- Cloud At The Edge, GPU Storage And LTO Gen 9 - Forbes - September 25th, 2020
- Zoom is being sued over its cloud storage practices - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Microsofts storage dream: a hard disk drive the size of a wardrobe with Samsung Galaxy S20 parts - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- How to Access S3 Buckets from Windows or Linux - ITPro Today - September 25th, 2020
- There is a hole in my cloud bucket - Fudzilla - September 25th, 2020
- Red Hat shifts automated data pipeline into OpenShift Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Seagate gets into object storage with new CORTX software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Kioxia's Ethernet SSD stirs into EBOF life as architects dream - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Ceph scales to 10 billion objects Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Google accused of using its online dominance to hold back competitors; to face antitrust lawsuit: Report - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- Synology DiskStation can keep your digital life organized and safe - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2020
- Looking for a job? The Library is here to help! | Globe Times - swglobetimes.com - September 25th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Market is Projected to Increment at an Eye-Catching CAGR by 2023 | 21.2% CAGR | Know the COVID19 Impact - Verdant News - September 25th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Platform Market: Demand Rate with Regional Outlook, Applications, Consumer Profiles & Forecast 2026 - The Daily... - September 25th, 2020
- This tiny CPU firm could play a key role in the future of Apple One - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Could Snowflake Rival Amazon in Cloud Storage and Services? Here's What You Need to Know About the New So - Tech Times - September 15th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing Can Deal With Lightning Strikes and Hackers - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - September 15th, 2020
- How to approach IT logging in the cloud vs. on premises - TechTarget - September 15th, 2020
- This lifetime web hosting subscription comes with up to 1TB of storage - Mashable - September 15th, 2020
- Keep It in the Cloud! Best Cloud Storage Systems of 2020 - iDrop News - September 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cloud Storage Software Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Amazon Web Services, Microsoft,... - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook adds cloud storage providers Dropbox and Koofr to its photo and video portability tool - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud storages you need to know - The Star, Kenya - September 6th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Impacting the Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market by Industry Analysis, by Type, Application and Top Players:Apple, Google, Box,... - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market to Witness Stunning Growth by 2027; Key Players are Riverbed Technology, SoftNAS, Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Nasuni... - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving a Cloud Computing Surge That Will Only Continue | Opinion - Newsweek - September 6th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Personal Cloud Market Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2019-2026) _ Hosted Types, Revenues, User Type, and Geography. - Galus... - September 6th, 2020
- Amazon's Blink Unveils New Wireless Security Cameras with HD Video, Flexible Storage Options, and New Battery Expansion Pack Cameras Start at $79.99... - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market Will Raise Beyond Imagination over Period 2025 | Microsoft, Oracle, Rackspace Hosting, Red Hat, IBM - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Current Industry Size and Future Prospective with Key Players, Drivers and Trends - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- Media And Entertainment Storage TAM To Exceed $16B By 2025 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Why not open our own Container Registry, muses GitHub as it gives orgs a hand at resource-sharing DEVCLASS - DevClass - September 2nd, 2020
- Sharing responsibility: Why we need to work together to keep the cloud secure - ComputerWeekly.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Data breach exposes tens of thousands of NSW drivers licences online - ABC News - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Key Takeaways From NetApp CEO George Kurian: Cloud, Coronavirus And Growth - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - September 2nd, 2020
- Responding to Cloud Misconfigurations with Security Automation and Common-Sense Tips - Security Boulevard - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Prepare for the Next Time the Cloud Goes Down - Gizmodo - September 2nd, 2020
- Demand for Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market from Major End-use Sectors to Increase in the Near Future - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Prevent the storage and data security risks of remote work - TechTarget - August 29th, 2020
- Samsung kills Gallery Sync and Drive support in favor of OneDrive - Android Central - August 29th, 2020
- 4 great Android apps to edit the perfect photo - Phandroid - News for Android - August 29th, 2020
- Google Cloud and STS to Automate US Navy Maintenance Inspections Using AI and ML Technology - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- New innovative report on Cloud Storage Gateway Market Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand and Opportunities to 2027 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Storage Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 29th, 2020
- In quest to go paperless (and save money), Mizuho to start charging for bank books - Japan Today - August 29th, 2020
- NetApp posts strong Q1, plots big re-organisation Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - August 29th, 2020
- The Handiest Video Doorbells to Remotely Test Who's At your Doorstep - Herald Planet - August 29th, 2020
- Integrated Media Technologies Joins the Active Archive Alliance - Sports Video Group - August 26th, 2020
- Storj Labs and FileZilla Collaborate to Offer Secure File Storage in the Remote Work Era - Database Trends and Applications - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Compliance Frameworks: What You Need to Know - Security Boulevard - August 26th, 2020
- Reevert Unveils Advanced Tools to Enhance Network Security and Efficiency for Remote Workforces - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Enhancing Network Visibility for SD-WAN in the Era of Cloud and SaaS - The Fast Mode - August 26th, 2020
- Where to Back Up Your Smartphone Photos Online (and Why You Should) - Lifehacker - August 24th, 2020
- NordLocker encryption heads to the cloud - IT PRO - August 24th, 2020
- What Is the OneDrive File Size Limit? Microsoft's 2020 Updates - Cloudwards - August 24th, 2020
- A Security Flaw In 'Manage Versions' Feature Of Google Drive Could Allow Malware Attackers Trick Victims Into Installing Rogue Code - Digital... - August 24th, 2020