Network-attached storage (NAS), or file storage, provides shared storage in which access to data takes place at the level of entire files.
NAS is defined by the fact it runs a file system and manages access to media behind that. Meanwhile, users and application servers are presented with storage in the familiar drive letter format.
NAS boxes originally emerged as standalone appliances. Later, scale-out NAS made it possible to link many NAS nodes into a cluster with a single file system.
More recently it has become possible to deploy NAS via software-defined storage and as part of a hyper-converged infrastructure setup.
It is also possible to specify file access storage in the public cloud.
If all you want is shared storage for several terabytes (TB) up to maybe the low tens of terabytes then a standalone NAS product could fit the bill. This could be for general file storage, or more specialised use cases such as storing surveillance footage.
Products range from consumer-grade offerings to those aimed at the smaller end of the small to medium-sized enterprise (SME) market, with suppliers that include Synology, Buffalo and QNAP. Form factor is usually some kind of micro server at the low end, with rackmount possible at the high end.
It is also theoretically possible to build your own, using commodity hardware with software from the likes of FreeNAS and Xigmanas (formerly NAS4Free), both of which are based on FreeBSD.
The limitation of a standalone NAS appliance is what to do when youve filled it. If you get another NAS, you can end up with silos of storage distributed between hardware instances.
Thats exactly the limitation scale-out NAS was developed to sidestep. In scale-out NAS, discrete appliances share the same file system, a so-called parallel file system to which new hardware instances can be added.
Scale-out NAS is largely the preserve of larger SMEs and enterprises. It gets around the problem of NAS silos being formed and it allows larger volumes of shared storage capacity to be created.
For those reasons, scale-out NAS is the go-to choice for anyone who can afford it.
Key suppliers are all the big five storage players NetApp, Dell EMC, HPE, Hitachi Vantara and IBM but there are specialists too, such as Cloudian, Qumulo and WekaIO, which we will come across again when we look at hybrid and multicloud options.
Key use cases are anything where large volumes of unstructured data need to be kept.
In the past couple of years we have seen the rise of scale-out NAS products, which are built to potentially work across on-premise and cloud deployments. Examples here include the likes of Cloudian, Elastifile, Qumulo and WekaIO.
Cloudians Hyperfile provides Posix/Windows-compliant file access that can be deployed on-premise and in the cloud. It works via the suppliers Hyperstore environment, which is based on object storage and offers hybrid cloud operations across Microsoft, Amazon and Google cloud environments with data portabilitybetween them claimed.
Elastifiles Cloud File System (ECFS)is software built to scale across thousands of compute nodes, and offers file, block and object storage. ECFS is designed to support heterogeneous environments, including public and private cloud environments, under a single global namespace.
TheQumulo File Fabric(QF2)is scale-out software that can be deployed on commodity hardware or in the public cloud. Cross-platform capabilities are provided through the ability to replicate file shares between physical locations.
WekaIOs scale-out POSIX-compliant parallel file system is called Matrix. Matrix runs across a cluster of commodity storage servers or can be deployed in the public cloud and run on standard compute instances using local SSD block storage. It also claims hybrid operations are possible, with the ability to tier to public cloud services.
All the big three public cloud providers Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) offer native NAS storage services. All three also offer better-performing file storage based on NetApp storage. Where Azure is different is that it provides file storage caching, aimed at providing low-latency access to a set of files in asingle namespace at a number of service levels.
Use cases targeted by AWS and Azure include big data analytics, web serving and content management, application development and testing, media workflows, database backups, and container storage. Google is a bit more modest in its proposed use cases than some of the AWS and Azure cloud file storage offers. GCP targets video rendering, application workloads, web content management and home directories.
Here, were talking about storage suppliers NAS products that are available in the cloud.
A recent heavyweight entrant is Dell EMC, which launched a Google Cloud version of its Isilon scale-out NAS, with OneFScloud storageready for production workloads.
The move allows customers to burst production use cases on Isilon storage to GCP, with up to 50PB (petabytes) of capacity available in asingle namespace.
Other mainstream storage suppliers also offer instances of their file systems in the big three public clouds AWS, Azure and GCP. NetApp has Cloud Volumes, while IBM has its Spectrum Scale parallel file system in AWS.
Another way to leverage the cloud for file storage is from software- and infrastructure-based offerings such as Nasuni, Ctera andPanzura, which offer access via software or hardware gateways.
Nasuni was a pioneer in the space, with a virtual appliance cloud gateway that cached active data on-premise and stored less-frequently-accessed files in public clouds. Nasunis cloud-native UniFSfile file system provides a single namespace forunstructured data. Nasuni is delivered via on-site filers that stage data off to the AWS cloud.
Meanwhile, Cteras HC range are so-called edge filers, which act as local capacity that can sync with otherCteranodes globally and with cloud storage capacity. Ctera targets use of cloud bursting and collaboration across geographies.
Access can be from desktop and remote/mobile devices via Ctera Drive, application programming interfaces (APIs)/web access and a mobile app, with data held in the Ctera Global File System. From there, it can be accessed by users via Ctera instances or auto-synced toS3 cloud storage systems.
Panzura is deployed on a server at each location where a local copy is held, withGoogle Cloud Storageas the main data retention location. Panzuras main focus is cross-office collaboration delivered via an on-premise gateway and aglobal file-locking systemwith cloud storage.
Originally posted here:
Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com
- Google: We're capping your free cloud storage at 15GB starting next year - TechRepublic - November 16th, 2020
- Google Photos a reminder that cloud storage isn't infinite - TechHQ - November 16th, 2020
- What is the cheapest way to save all those photos in your phone? - Mint - November 16th, 2020
- What is OneDrive? Everything you need to know about Microsoft's cloud storage service - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 13th, 2020
- Samsung Cloud storage shutdown: Everything you need to know - Tom's Guide - November 13th, 2020
- InfluxData adds yet another 2.0 platform and opens a new front to cloud storage - ZDNet - November 13th, 2020
- This week in storage with Kioxia and Elastic Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - November 13th, 2020
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market Report With in Depth Analysis by Top Key Players- Zoolz OpenDrive JustCloud MozyPro Egnyte CrashPlan Dropbox... - November 13th, 2020
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Strategies and Forecast to 2026 Wall Street Call - Reported Times - November 13th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2026 - Zenit News - November 13th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends Forecast by 2026 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 13th, 2020
- IMT partners with Dalet to simplify AI and media storage in the cloud - KMWorld Magazine - October 29th, 2020
- NetApp CEO George Kurian: The Digital Economy 'Rewrites The Rules' - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - October 29th, 2020
- Catalogic Software Expands its Smart Data Suite to Cloud Storage and Cloud Native Applications - PR Web - October 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| Zoolz, OpenDrive, JustCloud, MozyPro,... - October 29th, 2020
- Sycomp launches an unmatched cloud data experience with Sycomp Storage Fueled by IBM Spectrum Scale on Azure - AiThority - October 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Providers Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Pertino, Asigra, SoftLayer, StorageCraft, Dropbox etc. - The Think... - October 27th, 2020
- NetApp plays Spot the difference in cloud services build-out Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - October 27th, 2020
- Private Cloud Storage Market Analysis, Growth Forecast Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 27th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market Growth, Demand And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Players, Types, Application and Forecast... - October 27th, 2020
- Tag: Cloud Storage - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Object Storage Market Analysis 2020-2027: by Key Manufacturers with Countries, Types, Application and Forecast Till 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market (2020 to 2025) | Growing Application in Industry, Presents Opportunities and Demand Analysis, Growth, Size and Share -... - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2023 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Integrated With Facebook as Photo and Video Transfer Destination - PRNewswire - October 24th, 2020
- Enterprise Data Cloud Storage Software Market is projected to grow at High CAGR during the forecast period, 2026 | MailChimp, Constant Contact,... - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Industry Market 2020: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- 5 top tips for businesses in data backup and recovery - Tom's Guide - October 24th, 2020
- Unified file and object storage: The best of both worlds? - ComputerWeekly.com - October 24th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage market will continue to boom says analyst - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- Veeam Enhances Offerings To Be A 'Perfect' Fit For MSPs - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market Globally Expected to Drive Growth through 2026 - KYT24 - October 24th, 2020
- BTFS is Poised to Disrupt the Cloud Storage Industry? - ihodl.com - October 15th, 2020
- Reducing cloud storage costs: what you need to know - ITProPortal - October 15th, 2020
- Save an extra 20% on VPNs, password managers, and cloud storage - Mashable - October 15th, 2020
- Cohesity hooks up with AWS to pipe data management-as-a-service at users, starting with backup - Blocks and Files - October 15th, 2020
- The Best Backup and Restore Courses and Online Training for 2020 - Solutions Review - October 15th, 2020
- NetApp Insight 2020 conference news and coverage - TechTarget - October 15th, 2020
- iPad productivity tips: Keyboard tricks, shortcuts, and more - Fast Company - October 15th, 2020
- Cloud At The Edge, GPU Storage And LTO Gen 9 - Forbes - September 25th, 2020
- Zoom is being sued over its cloud storage practices - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Microsofts storage dream: a hard disk drive the size of a wardrobe with Samsung Galaxy S20 parts - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- How to Access S3 Buckets from Windows or Linux - ITPro Today - September 25th, 2020
- There is a hole in my cloud bucket - Fudzilla - September 25th, 2020
- Red Hat shifts automated data pipeline into OpenShift Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Seagate gets into object storage with new CORTX software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Kioxia's Ethernet SSD stirs into EBOF life as architects dream - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Ceph scales to 10 billion objects Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Google accused of using its online dominance to hold back competitors; to face antitrust lawsuit: Report - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- Synology DiskStation can keep your digital life organized and safe - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2020
- Looking for a job? The Library is here to help! | Globe Times - swglobetimes.com - September 25th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Market is Projected to Increment at an Eye-Catching CAGR by 2023 | 21.2% CAGR | Know the COVID19 Impact - Verdant News - September 25th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Platform Market: Demand Rate with Regional Outlook, Applications, Consumer Profiles & Forecast 2026 - The Daily... - September 25th, 2020
- This tiny CPU firm could play a key role in the future of Apple One - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Could Snowflake Rival Amazon in Cloud Storage and Services? Here's What You Need to Know About the New So - Tech Times - September 15th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing Can Deal With Lightning Strikes and Hackers - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - September 15th, 2020
- How to approach IT logging in the cloud vs. on premises - TechTarget - September 15th, 2020
- This lifetime web hosting subscription comes with up to 1TB of storage - Mashable - September 15th, 2020
- Keep It in the Cloud! Best Cloud Storage Systems of 2020 - iDrop News - September 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cloud Storage Software Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Amazon Web Services, Microsoft,... - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook adds cloud storage providers Dropbox and Koofr to its photo and video portability tool - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud storages you need to know - The Star, Kenya - September 6th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Impacting the Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market by Industry Analysis, by Type, Application and Top Players:Apple, Google, Box,... - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market to Witness Stunning Growth by 2027; Key Players are Riverbed Technology, SoftNAS, Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Nasuni... - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving a Cloud Computing Surge That Will Only Continue | Opinion - Newsweek - September 6th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Personal Cloud Market Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2019-2026) _ Hosted Types, Revenues, User Type, and Geography. - Galus... - September 6th, 2020
- Amazon's Blink Unveils New Wireless Security Cameras with HD Video, Flexible Storage Options, and New Battery Expansion Pack Cameras Start at $79.99... - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market Will Raise Beyond Imagination over Period 2025 | Microsoft, Oracle, Rackspace Hosting, Red Hat, IBM - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Current Industry Size and Future Prospective with Key Players, Drivers and Trends - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- Media And Entertainment Storage TAM To Exceed $16B By 2025 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Why not open our own Container Registry, muses GitHub as it gives orgs a hand at resource-sharing DEVCLASS - DevClass - September 2nd, 2020
- Sharing responsibility: Why we need to work together to keep the cloud secure - ComputerWeekly.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Data breach exposes tens of thousands of NSW drivers licences online - ABC News - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Key Takeaways From NetApp CEO George Kurian: Cloud, Coronavirus And Growth - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - September 2nd, 2020
- Responding to Cloud Misconfigurations with Security Automation and Common-Sense Tips - Security Boulevard - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Prepare for the Next Time the Cloud Goes Down - Gizmodo - September 2nd, 2020
- Demand for Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market from Major End-use Sectors to Increase in the Near Future - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Prevent the storage and data security risks of remote work - TechTarget - August 29th, 2020
- Samsung kills Gallery Sync and Drive support in favor of OneDrive - Android Central - August 29th, 2020