Network-attached storage (NAS), or file storage, provides shared storage in which access to data takes place at the level of entire files.
NAS is defined by the fact it runs a file system and manages access to media behind that. Meanwhile, users and application servers are presented with storage in the familiar drive letter format.
NAS boxes originally emerged as standalone appliances. Later, scale-out NAS made it possible to link many NAS nodes into a cluster with a single file system.
More recently it has become possible to deploy NAS via software-defined storage and as part of a hyper-converged infrastructure setup.
It is also possible to specify file access storage in the public cloud.
If all you want is shared storage for several terabytes (TB) up to maybe the low tens of terabytes then a standalone NAS product could fit the bill. This could be for general file storage, or more specialised use cases such as storing surveillance footage.
Products range from consumer-grade offerings to those aimed at the smaller end of the small to medium-sized enterprise (SME) market, with suppliers that include Synology, Buffalo and QNAP. Form factor is usually some kind of micro server at the low end, with rackmount possible at the high end.
It is also theoretically possible to build your own, using commodity hardware with software from the likes of FreeNAS and Xigmanas (formerly NAS4Free), both of which are based on FreeBSD.
The limitation of a standalone NAS appliance is what to do when youve filled it. If you get another NAS, you can end up with silos of storage distributed between hardware instances.
Thats exactly the limitation scale-out NAS was developed to sidestep. In scale-out NAS, discrete appliances share the same file system, a so-called parallel file system to which new hardware instances can be added.
Scale-out NAS is largely the preserve of larger SMEs and enterprises. It gets around the problem of NAS silos being formed and it allows larger volumes of shared storage capacity to be created.
For those reasons, scale-out NAS is the go-to choice for anyone who can afford it.
Key suppliers are all the big five storage players NetApp, Dell EMC, HPE, Hitachi Vantara and IBM but there are specialists too, such as Cloudian, Qumulo and WekaIO, which we will come across again when we look at hybrid and multicloud options.
Key use cases are anything where large volumes of unstructured data need to be kept.
In the past couple of years we have seen the rise of scale-out NAS products, which are built to potentially work across on-premise and cloud deployments. Examples here include the likes of Cloudian, Elastifile, Qumulo and WekaIO.
Cloudians Hyperfile provides Posix/Windows-compliant file access that can be deployed on-premise and in the cloud. It works via the suppliers Hyperstore environment, which is based on object storage and offers hybrid cloud operations across Microsoft, Amazon and Google cloud environments with data portabilitybetween them claimed.
Elastifiles Cloud File System (ECFS)is software built to scale across thousands of compute nodes, and offers file, block and object storage. ECFS is designed to support heterogeneous environments, including public and private cloud environments, under a single global namespace.
TheQumulo File Fabric(QF2)is scale-out software that can be deployed on commodity hardware or in the public cloud. Cross-platform capabilities are provided through the ability to replicate file shares between physical locations.
WekaIOs scale-out POSIX-compliant parallel file system is called Matrix. Matrix runs across a cluster of commodity storage servers or can be deployed in the public cloud and run on standard compute instances using local SSD block storage. It also claims hybrid operations are possible, with the ability to tier to public cloud services.
All the big three public cloud providers Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) offer native NAS storage services. All three also offer better-performing file storage based on NetApp storage. Where Azure is different is that it provides file storage caching, aimed at providing low-latency access to a set of files in asingle namespace at a number of service levels.
Use cases targeted by AWS and Azure include big data analytics, web serving and content management, application development and testing, media workflows, database backups, and container storage. Google is a bit more modest in its proposed use cases than some of the AWS and Azure cloud file storage offers. GCP targets video rendering, application workloads, web content management and home directories.
Here, were talking about storage suppliers NAS products that are available in the cloud.
A recent heavyweight entrant is Dell EMC, which launched a Google Cloud version of its Isilon scale-out NAS, with OneFScloud storageready for production workloads.
The move allows customers to burst production use cases on Isilon storage to GCP, with up to 50PB (petabytes) of capacity available in asingle namespace.
Other mainstream storage suppliers also offer instances of their file systems in the big three public clouds AWS, Azure and GCP. NetApp has Cloud Volumes, while IBM has its Spectrum Scale parallel file system in AWS.
Another way to leverage the cloud for file storage is from software- and infrastructure-based offerings such as Nasuni, Ctera andPanzura, which offer access via software or hardware gateways.
Nasuni was a pioneer in the space, with a virtual appliance cloud gateway that cached active data on-premise and stored less-frequently-accessed files in public clouds. Nasunis cloud-native UniFSfile file system provides a single namespace forunstructured data. Nasuni is delivered via on-site filers that stage data off to the AWS cloud.
Meanwhile, Cteras HC range are so-called edge filers, which act as local capacity that can sync with otherCteranodes globally and with cloud storage capacity. Ctera targets use of cloud bursting and collaboration across geographies.
Access can be from desktop and remote/mobile devices via Ctera Drive, application programming interfaces (APIs)/web access and a mobile app, with data held in the Ctera Global File System. From there, it can be accessed by users via Ctera instances or auto-synced toS3 cloud storage systems.
Panzura is deployed on a server at each location where a local copy is held, withGoogle Cloud Storageas the main data retention location. Panzuras main focus is cross-office collaboration delivered via an on-premise gateway and aglobal file-locking systemwith cloud storage.
Originally posted here:
Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com
- Could Snowflake Rival Amazon in Cloud Storage and Services? Here's What You Need to Know About the New So - Tech Times - September 15th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing Can Deal With Lightning Strikes and Hackers - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - September 15th, 2020
- How to approach IT logging in the cloud vs. on premises - TechTarget - September 15th, 2020
- This lifetime web hosting subscription comes with up to 1TB of storage - Mashable - September 15th, 2020
- Keep It in the Cloud! Best Cloud Storage Systems of 2020 - iDrop News - September 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cloud Storage Software Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Amazon Web Services, Microsoft,... - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook adds cloud storage providers Dropbox and Koofr to its photo and video portability tool - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud storages you need to know - The Star, Kenya - September 6th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Impacting the Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market by Industry Analysis, by Type, Application and Top Players:Apple, Google, Box,... - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market to Witness Stunning Growth by 2027; Key Players are Riverbed Technology, SoftNAS, Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Nasuni... - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving a Cloud Computing Surge That Will Only Continue | Opinion - Newsweek - September 6th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Personal Cloud Market Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2019-2026) _ Hosted Types, Revenues, User Type, and Geography. - Galus... - September 6th, 2020
- Amazon's Blink Unveils New Wireless Security Cameras with HD Video, Flexible Storage Options, and New Battery Expansion Pack Cameras Start at $79.99... - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market Will Raise Beyond Imagination over Period 2025 | Microsoft, Oracle, Rackspace Hosting, Red Hat, IBM - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Current Industry Size and Future Prospective with Key Players, Drivers and Trends - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- Media And Entertainment Storage TAM To Exceed $16B By 2025 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Why not open our own Container Registry, muses GitHub as it gives orgs a hand at resource-sharing DEVCLASS - DevClass - September 2nd, 2020
- Sharing responsibility: Why we need to work together to keep the cloud secure - ComputerWeekly.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Data breach exposes tens of thousands of NSW drivers licences online - ABC News - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Key Takeaways From NetApp CEO George Kurian: Cloud, Coronavirus And Growth - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - September 2nd, 2020
- Responding to Cloud Misconfigurations with Security Automation and Common-Sense Tips - Security Boulevard - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Prepare for the Next Time the Cloud Goes Down - Gizmodo - September 2nd, 2020
- Demand for Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market from Major End-use Sectors to Increase in the Near Future - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Prevent the storage and data security risks of remote work - TechTarget - August 29th, 2020
- Samsung kills Gallery Sync and Drive support in favor of OneDrive - Android Central - August 29th, 2020
- 4 great Android apps to edit the perfect photo - Phandroid - News for Android - August 29th, 2020
- Google Cloud and STS to Automate US Navy Maintenance Inspections Using AI and ML Technology - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- New innovative report on Cloud Storage Gateway Market Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand and Opportunities to 2027 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Storage Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 29th, 2020
- In quest to go paperless (and save money), Mizuho to start charging for bank books - Japan Today - August 29th, 2020
- NetApp posts strong Q1, plots big re-organisation Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - August 29th, 2020
- The Handiest Video Doorbells to Remotely Test Who's At your Doorstep - Herald Planet - August 29th, 2020
- Explore the best free cloud backup services on the market - TechTarget - August 26th, 2020
- Integrated Media Technologies Joins the Active Archive Alliance - Sports Video Group - August 26th, 2020
- Storj Labs and FileZilla Collaborate to Offer Secure File Storage in the Remote Work Era - Database Trends and Applications - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Compliance Frameworks: What You Need to Know - Security Boulevard - August 26th, 2020
- Reevert Unveils Advanced Tools to Enhance Network Security and Efficiency for Remote Workforces - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Enhancing Network Visibility for SD-WAN in the Era of Cloud and SaaS - The Fast Mode - August 26th, 2020
- Where to Back Up Your Smartphone Photos Online (and Why You Should) - Lifehacker - August 24th, 2020
- NordLocker encryption heads to the cloud - IT PRO - August 24th, 2020
- What Is the OneDrive File Size Limit? Microsoft's 2020 Updates - Cloudwards - August 24th, 2020
- A Security Flaw In 'Manage Versions' Feature Of Google Drive Could Allow Malware Attackers Trick Victims Into Installing Rogue Code - Digital... - August 24th, 2020
- Medical Image Cloud Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 24th, 2020
- What Is OneDrive? A 2020 Guide to Microsoft's Cloud Storage - Cloudwards - August 20th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Growth, Industry Verticals and Forecast to 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Outlook on the Healthcare Data Storage Global Market to 2026 - Opportunity Analysis for New Entrants - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 20th, 2020
- Personal Cloud Storage Market by Top Manufacturers with Production, Price, Revenue (value) and Market Share to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 16th, 2020
- Pure Storage and Cohesity in Partnership to Deliver Rapid Recovery at Scale - insideHPC - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Systems Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - eRealty Express - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 16th, 2020
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market to Grow at a CAGR of 21.9% from 2020 to 2027 to Reach $222 Billion by 2027 - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Claims Another Win With Box Partnership - Forbes - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Enterprise Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: The Development Strategies Adopted By Major Key Players And To Understand The Competitive Scenario - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- BitDam Advanced Threat Protection now available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace - Help Net Security - July 23rd, 2020
- Nexsan Unity taps into cloud and Assureon archive - TechTarget - July 23rd, 2020
- IPVanish July sale: three months of VPN cover for the price of one with this deal - Tom's Guide UK - July 23rd, 2020
- Commvault integrates Hedvig with HyperScale X appliance Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 23rd, 2020
- Q&A: Sophos poll shows how attackers are taking advantage of cloud migration to wreak havoc - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Life After COVID 19: E-Discovery Considerations for Attorneys and Clients - JD Supra - July 23rd, 2020
- 4 Ways to Advance Your Tech Without Sacrificing Security - Security Boulevard - July 7th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Is expected to Witness Significant Growth between 2020 to 2028| Top Key Players- AWS, IBM, Microsoft, Google, Oracle, HPE - Owned - July 7th, 2020
- Software-defined storage: It's a Thing Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 7th, 2020
- Microsoft takes legal action against COVID-19-related cybercrime - Microsoft on the Issues - Microsoft - July 7th, 2020
- How Vodafone is helping MSMEs gear up for their business revival - YourStory - July 7th, 2020
- IP Video Surveillance And VSaaS Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Apsters News - July 7th, 2020
- Alternatives to banned apps Shareit and Xender for file transfer - Digit - July 4th, 2020
- I Don't Care How Great These OneDrive Improvements Are, I'm Not Using It - Gizmodo UK - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Based Storage Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2024 - AlgosOnline - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market 2020, Analysis by Growing Demand, Types, Application, Top Trends, User-Demand and Opportunities Assessment till... - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market to Grow at Robust CAGR in the COVID-19 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 4th, 2020