The Google Cloud Platform (GCP) has gained serious momentum in recent months. Data storage companies such as NetApp, Veritas, Cohesity, MapR, Cloudian and Nutanix are partnering with Google in an effort to broaden the appeal of their offerings. But the Google Cloud itself is a vast universe of services, storage tiers, speeds, feeds and price points.
Google Cloud Platform offers a diverse portfolio that ranges from flexible and unified storage classes to scalable and secure databases, said Chris Talbott, head of cloud storage product marketing at Google. Its designed to handle mission-critical workloads and connect data to any application.
As such, it consists of compute, storage, databases, machine learning, analytics, networking, big data, internet of things, developer tools, management tools and security features. With so many facets to understand, how can users use GCP to reduce storage costs, maximize performance and gain competitive advantage?
Some storage and IT managers have a carte blanche from management to implement cloud-first strategies. They are under no strain to get it right the first time. They are blessed with all the time in the world to figure out the best way to learn from their mistakes and eventually arrive at the right cloud architecture for their organizations. But they represent the lucky few.
In most cases, storage managers are under the gun to show some immediate return. Within a few months, they know they will be called to the carpet to show tangible results in terms of lower storage costs and smaller budgets.
The best way to achieve that, suggested Talbott, is to look for the low-hanging fruit. One likely area, for example, is tape backup. Anyone who is going to have to invest yet again in tape hardware or an upgrade to the latest tape platform should consider the cloud. As well as offering the potential for cheaper storage, the cloud opens the door to doing something with the data (such as analytics) rather than gathering dust in a vault.
Think about underutilized data sets and easy wins, said Talbott. Many organizations are currently backing-up and archiving data to tape, requiring costly infrastructure to maintain and providing little value outside of a recovery event. Not only can you reduce the effort and costs of maintaining that on-premises you can expose those datasets to other technologies in GCP like data analytics and machine learning.
Talbott said that most users are smart enough to assess current needs. They take the time to figure out how they can use cloud storage to fulfill ongoing requirements. But not enough companies look ahead to gain some idea of how their needs may evolve in the years to come. Although it is impossible to predict such things accurately, it is wise to attempt some kind of projection of storage needs at least a couple of years into the future. That might save some embarrassment when you discover in a years time that your plan for cloud storage was hopelessly inadequate.
Storage managers are advised not to rush headlong into cloud storage decisions. They should consult other areas of IT as well as line of business heads before making any firm commitments. After all, storage is just one part of a much larger IT ecosystem. It has to be implemented sensibly in full alignment with other components and enterprise objectives.
While the cloud can reduce the cost of storage and increase the accessibility of data, choosing the right combination of systems is essential in realizing the benefits of cloud storage, said Talbott.
In addition, Talbott recommended using the cloud to take advantage of storage tiers to make information lifecycle policies work for you. As users begin to move data to the cloud, they should try to understand what data needs to be accessed and when so they can take advantage of different storage tiers. For example, GCP offers Nearline and Coldline archival storage. Nearline is best for data that is accessed a few times a year, but if you have data you dont need on a yearly basis, you could move it to Coldline to reduce costs.
To optimize the storage of an object throughout its life, it will likely spend time in each tier of storage from multi-regional to cold, said Talbott. Object lifecycle policies can automate that cascade.
Its one thing to dump data into a cloud repository as a means of reducing costs. But the real value comes in how that data is managed strategically.
Various data and storage management solutions are available from vendors such as StorEdge, Red Hat, NetApp and others. While functionality varies markedly from one tool to another, in general, they are designed to help organizations maintain control over their data, where it resides, how quickly they can access it and how they can harness it in their business.
For organizations who are looking to understand how their GCP cloud investments are meeting business expectations, NetApps data management solutions provide them with clear visibility and insight into cost, performance and data placement to better understand the impact of IT decisions, said Michael Elliott, cloud advocate, NetApp. Organizations can also address the challenges associated with regulatory, data security and sovereignty requirements by maintaining control of their data across its entire lifecycle.
Part of the reason so many storage businesses are partnering with Google is that it provides easy access to innovation and expanded markets.
Collaborate closely with Google, as they are very responsive when it comes to integrating with their services, said Patrick Rogers, head of marketing and product at Cohesity. APIs may work differently across different cloud providers, so what is possible with one provider may not exactly be the same with another.
Greed is good, said Gordon Gekko in the movie Wall Street. Google has paraphrased that to Green is good. Accordingly, the company believes those journeying to the cloud should look beyond cost savings, which are regarded almost universally as the typical measure of success for those adopting cloud storage.
In many cases, cost savings is just a start. This year Google will reach 100 percent renewable energy for all its operations, data centers included. This means users can reduce the environmental impact of their data storage and operations by taking advantage of data centers which use 50 percent less energy than a typical data center.
With the exponential increase in data being stored, it becomes increasingly important to consider how green the electrons are that power its storage, said Talbott.
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
- 69% off and free cloud storage makes this VPN deal one of the best around right now - TechRadar India - May 19th, 2020
- GoodFirms Survey: Around 92.13% People Believe Cloud Storage have Influenced their Data Habits - WhaTech - May 19th, 2020
- Best practices and need of cloud storage for protecting corporate and personal data - CRN.in - May 19th, 2020
- Microsofts Azure And Dynamics 365 To Offer AI-Driven Cloud Storage And Data Analytics To FedEx Logistics For Improving Last-Mile Delivery - Appuals - May 19th, 2020
- InfiniteIO and Google Cloud help orgs reduce the cost of network-attached storage and speed cloud adoption - Help Net Security - May 19th, 2020
- How to Future-Proof Your Business - Built In Austin - May 19th, 2020
- Next-Generation Data Storage Market expected to reach a value of approximately USD 104.3 billion by the year 2025 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are The Best Big Data Cloud Storage Providers? Here Are The Top 6 - Forbes - May 11th, 2020
- Cloud storage needs disruption and Backblaze has delivered the goods - ZDNet - May 11th, 2020
- Did Western Digital Investors Overreact to its Dividend Suspension? - Motley Fool - May 11th, 2020
- At Home Access to Adobe Creative Cloud Extended Through July 6 - Webster University Newsroom - May 11th, 2020
- Putting The Cloud Into The Hands Of Enterprises - The Next Platform - May 11th, 2020
- Microsoft is suddenly recommending Google products and I'm worried - ZDNet - May 11th, 2020
- Cloud Content Collaboration Software Market Expand Their Businesses With New Investments In 2020 And Returning Future - Cole of Duty - May 11th, 2020
- Data Discovery and Data Mapping: Are These Automated Software Technologies Effective for LGPD Compliance? - CPO Magazine - May 11th, 2020
- Lenovos $280 Chromebook Duet 2-in-1 tablet hits shelves - SlashGear - May 11th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Solutions Market scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - May 7th, 2020
- Global Personal Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Product Types, Method, Application, End Users, Region, Industry Analysis, Recent Trend and Forecast to... - May 7th, 2020
- MyFax review: Is this the best online fax service? - ITProPortal - May 7th, 2020
- How to upload and manage files on Microsoft Teams - Windows Central - May 7th, 2020
- Storage and database innovation evolve in tandem - TechTarget - May 7th, 2020
- Global cloud IT infrastructure spending to hit $70bn by year-end - Trade Arabia - May 7th, 2020
- The Fairphone ethical smartphone is now available with the Google-less Android /e/OS operating system - ZDNet - May 7th, 2020
- AWS launches the $995 Elemental Link for streaming video to its cloud - TechCrunch - May 7th, 2020
- How to Protect Your Google Drive on iPhone and iPad With Face ID or Touch ID - How-To Geek - May 7th, 2020
- Is Home Working As Good For The Planet As We Think? - Forbes - May 7th, 2020
- Global Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending will Touch $70bn This Year - BusinessGhana - May 7th, 2020
- Royal College of Nursing supports frontline nurses during COVID-19 pandemic with online information hub - RealWire - May 7th, 2020
- Will Governments encourage WFH, e-learning in the future? What does it mean for IT infrastructure development? - Kalkine Media - May 7th, 2020
- 3 Ways Dell Technologies Is 'Raising The Bar' Across Its Partner Program - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - May 7th, 2020
- Free cloud storage: Which providers offer the most space - Android Authority - May 4th, 2020
- Looking to the cloud during lockdown | Industry Trends - IBC365 - May 4th, 2020
- Google Cloud and Coviant Software Work Together for Automating Healthcare Data Transfer and Processing - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- What Is Blockchain Storage and How Does It Work - TechFunnel - May 4th, 2020
- The Economic Impact of Coronavirus on Trends in the Ready To Use Business Cloud Storage Market 2019-2020 - Jewish Life News - May 4th, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market to 2025 Global Analysis and Forecasts byRockwell Automation, KUKA AG, ABB Group, FANUC - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- your arrival will also bring changes in the management of our chats - Explica - May 4th, 2020
- India's Software Market Growth Down to 4.1% on COVID-19 Impact - EE Times India - May 4th, 2020
- Push the Limits of Flexible and Powerful Analytics - Communal News - May 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Engineering Market 2020 Industry Segmentation, CAGR Status, Leading Trends, and Forecast To 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - May 4th, 2020
- Remote working and the benefits of cloud storage - Dealer Support Magazine - May 2nd, 2020
- Start your free design studio on the cloud - Gadgets Now - May 2nd, 2020
- Decentralized Cloud Network Storj to Offer Five Pentabytes of Data Storage to Organizations Conducting Research Related to Fighting COVID-19 -... - May 2nd, 2020
- Has ON1 Just Come up With a Better Way of Using the Cloud to Synchronize Your Editing Across Different Devices? - Fstoppers - May 2nd, 2020
- Alternatives to Google Photos to save and organize your photos - InTallaght - May 2nd, 2020
- How to download Adobe Creative Cloud, and where to get the best Adobe deals - T3 Australia - May 2nd, 2020
- Hybrid Cloud: the key to digital transformation? - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - May 2nd, 2020
- DRaaS vs. cloud DR: What are the differences? - TechTarget - May 2nd, 2020
- India IT spending forecast to drop to --4.5% in 2020 due to COVID-19 - InfotechLead.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Windows 10 gets a little more G-shaped: G Suite admins can now manage Microsoft's OS, and that includes remote wipe - The Register - May 2nd, 2020
- Australian researchers tap cloud to save the Tasmanian devil - ComputerWeekly.com - May 2nd, 2020
- China's information consumption booms in Q1 - - April 26th, 2020
- NetApp Architects Application-Integrated Data Management for Kubernetes with Project Astra - IT News Online - April 26th, 2020
- Amazon's next best bet to take the $10 billion JEDI cloud deal from Microsoft hinges on a 'wildcard' error in the process after a Pentagon... - April 26th, 2020
- Pixel 3A vs. Moto G7: Which one's the better budget buy? - CNET - April 26th, 2020
- What you can cancel without penalties during lockdown to save money - Mirror Online - April 26th, 2020
- Breaking Down How To Find The Best Cloud Storage Option For You - Donklephant - April 24th, 2020
- AWS announces new single-purpose on-prem hardware and tie-in storage tier - The Register - April 24th, 2020
- Amazon Prospects Touted at 3 Firms as Pandemic Lifts Demand - TheStreet - April 24th, 2020
- These Businesses Are Thriving Amid COVID-19 Crisis - Analytics India Magazine - April 24th, 2020
- Keeping Your Off-Campus Video Collaborations Safe and Stress-Free - University of Arkansas Newswire - April 24th, 2020
- Retrospect 17 Solo review: Backup software that gives you everything - PCWorld - April 24th, 2020
- IoT news of the week for April 24, 2020 - Stacey on IoT - April 24th, 2020
- Microsoft Office For Android: Is it Any Good? - groovyPost - April 24th, 2020
- More than just chat using Teams as a SharePoint front end to manage your small business documents - OnMSFT - April 24th, 2020
- The digital spring clean: how to sort out your passwords, privacy and bulging photo folder - The Guardian - April 24th, 2020
- The Evolution Of Cybersecurity And Data Storage (infographic) - Digital Information World - April 19th, 2020
- A silver lining in the cloud for AI startups - Livemint - April 19th, 2020
- 8x8 Raises the Bar with New Secure Video Meeting Solution; Oracle Cloud to Power 8x8 Video Meetings and Jitsi Services - Business Wire - April 19th, 2020
- Video Meeting Apps/ Software to Run Home-Office Effectivel... - United News of Bangladesh - April 19th, 2020
- iPhone 11 vs. iPhone XR specs: Which iPhone is the better buy? - CNET - April 19th, 2020
- Don't buy a hard drive - get 5TB of cloud storage instead - TechRadar - April 19th, 2020
- Your Zoom videos could live on in the cloud even after you delete them - CNET - April 19th, 2020
- Pioneer DJ announce rekordbox 6 with cloud storage and sync - DJ Mag - April 19th, 2020
- Working Remote? Migrate To The Cloud! NOW! - hackernoon.com - April 19th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market : How COVID19 impacting on the Information and Communication Technology industry? - Amazon Web Services, Hewlett-Packard... - April 19th, 2020
- Kaminario ports storage software to the public clouds - Blocks and Files - April 19th, 2020
- History of Backup and Storage: See How Far We've Come - Small Business Trends - April 19th, 2020
- Pentagon watchdog finds Defense Department behaved appropriately but doesn't rule on White House influence over controversial cloud contract - CNN - April 19th, 2020
- Canon Quietly Rolls out Its New Mobile App and Cloud Service - Fstoppers - April 19th, 2020