Sponsored Storage is a growth area in IT, as the volume of data generated by users and applications keeps on expanding at an increasing rate, while legislation dictates that organisations must retain some types of data for regulatory purposes and cannot just delete it all to free up capacity.
Traditionally, data would simply have been stored on-site, residing on hard drives inside the organisations own servers and PCs, but the development of cloud services over the past decade means that users now have the option to offload some of that burden to online service providers that have much greater storage capacity available.
For many users, including SME organisations, cloud-based storage is an attractive solution to the storage issues they face. It is always available, you do not have to worry about managing any hardware, and it makes it simple for workers to collaborate by sharing files and data with colleagues.
But this does not mean that cloud-based services should be viewed as a replacement for on-premises storage. There are good reasons why some data is best kept under the direct control of the organisation itself.
In fact, on-premises and cloud-based storage are best regarded as complementary. Each has strengths and weaknesses that make them suitable for particular use cases, and both should therefore be considered as essential parts of the toolkit available to organisations for meeting their storage requirements.
Smaller organisations are likely to turn to network attached storage (NAS) or a low-cost server in order to meet their primary storage requirements. A NAS device is often the simpler option, as this delivers an appliance-like box that is relatively easy to configure through a browser-based console. For companies with 25 users or fewer, Microsofts Windows Server Essentials platform provides a wizard-driven setup for configuring a local server.
Whether the choice is a NAS or a Windows server, the organisation gets the advantages of a pool of storage connected directly to the local network, where users can have folders for their own files as well as shared folders for groups of users to store and access data for collaborative working while in the office.
The chief advantages of such an on-premise solution are performance, because data is stored locally on a high-speed network, and security, because it is more difficult for anyone outside the organisation to access the data. Users also get the reassurance of knowing exactly where their data is located and can physically secure it.
For cloud-based storage, the advantages are convenience and ease of access. The convenience comes because you can simply sign up for a cloud storage service and get instant access to a pool of storage capacity, and the fact that it is located online makes it easy to access for users both in the office premises and off-site, while travelling or at a customer site, for example.
Another advantage of cloud-based storage is the available capacity. Services such as Box, Google Drive and Dropbox now offer unlimited storage in their business-focused plans, although in practice there are often limits such as fair use restrictions when you look at the small print.
The most common use cases for cloud-based storage services such as these tend to be as a platform for file sharing and collaboration, or as an online backup facility.
Backing up data to the cloud is widely used even by large organisations, as it provides a safe off-site repository in the event that your primary storage is destroyed or damaged, rather than just a file getting deleted or corrupted.
Many backup tools now support cloud storage services as a backup target, and this includes those bundled with NAS appliances. In the latter case, endpoint devices can be configured to use the NAS as their backup target, while the NAS can then back itself up using either another NAS as the target, or to a cloud storage service.
Some NAS appliances also support synchronisation with common cloud services such as Dropbox or Google Drive, so that files stored in public folders on-premises can easily be made available to users roaming off-site. Users can specify synchronisation of just the files and folders they want, while a one-way sync feature is often supported to only copy files from the NAS to the cloud, or vice versa.
Another potential application for cloud storage is archiving. This enables the user to migrate to cloud storage any data that is no longer used or seldom accessed, in order to free up capacity in their on-premises storage.
There are dedicated cloud archive services, such as Amazon Glacier, that offer very low costs, provided that users do not expect speedy access to data stored there. Some cloud storage services such as Box offer governance capabilities that implement data retention rules and support discovery of content for data governance and regulatory compliance purposes.
When it comes to the question of security, an administrator can easily set access privileges for on-premises storage such as a NAS by individual users or groups of users, while each user can have their own private folder as well as access to shared folders.
But many of the cloud storage providers are catching up fast, with some business-focused services offering user access controls, plus support for single sign-on, two-factor authentication and usage logs, as well as encryption to protect data stored on their cloud.
The question of whether data is best stored on-premises or in the cloud will depend upon a number of factors, such as whether easy access is required for collaboration, whether the data needs to be kept secure, or the costs of storing it in a particular repository.
However, both on-premises and cloud storage have their place in the storage strategies of organisations, and a smart IT professional will make good use of both in order to meet the demands of applications and users.
Sponsored: The Joy and Pain of Buying IT - Have Your Say
- Get 2TB of cloud storage and organization for less than $50 - Android Central - February 23rd, 2020
- Zoho reinvents its cloud storage with WorkDrive - GeekWire - February 23rd, 2020
- Cloud-enabled threats are on the rise, sensitive data is moving between cloud apps - Help Net Security - February 23rd, 2020
- A lifetime of learning from Whizlabs is just $60 right now - Android Central - February 23rd, 2020
- OneDrive for Android gains a dedicated dark theme in latest beta update - 9to5Google - February 23rd, 2020
- Netskope Releases February 2020 Netskope Cloud and Threat Report - Solutions Review - February 23rd, 2020
- This Wi-Fi Smart Doorbell Has an 180 Vertical Field of View - Gadget Flow - February 23rd, 2020
- TechTarget Storage Magazine and SearchStorage.com Select Hammerspace as a Storage Product of the Year for 2019 - GlobeNewswire - February 18th, 2020
- Top enterprise cloud storage systems win 2019 Products of the Year - TechTarget - February 18th, 2020
- #1501: How to deal with low cloud storage space, StopTheMadness fixes unfriendly Web sites, clean tech and more from CES 2020 - TidBITS - February 18th, 2020
- Talon Announces Strong Growth Driven By Industry Trend To Cloud Consolidation; Reports Record Sales in 2019 - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- List: The best ways to protect your pictures - WKYC.com - February 18th, 2020
- 8 Best Ways to Fix Google Drive Storage Full But No Files in It Issue - Guiding Tech - February 18th, 2020
- Public Cloud Storage Service Market Trends, Size, Share, Types, Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive landscape Forecast 2025 -... - February 18th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Forbes Road To The Cloud - Architecture, Security And The Refactor - Forbes - February 18th, 2020
- Psst. SANshine, fancy a bit of shared block storage on Azure? - The Register - February 18th, 2020
- Edge Computing Brings the Cloud to the Data - FedTech Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market Research: Aim To Achieve The Pinnacle In Qualitative Industry Research And Business Intelligence -... - February 18th, 2020
- Siacoin (SC) Siaskynet will be the only Big news on February 18, 2020, GoodBye YouTube - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 18th, 2020
- Microsoft ready to take on Google with this new app for Android users - Times of India - February 18th, 2020
- Cloud key to top 2019 data backup and disaster recovery products - TechTarget - February 18th, 2020
- Look for These 4 Chances to Save During IT Improvements - FedTech Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- More than software: SaaS is a relationship - NewscastStudio - February 17th, 2020
- Connect, share and store images and movies seamlessly with image.canon - Africanews English - February 17th, 2020
- Looking to Keep Data Analytics in Healthcare Affordable? The Answer is the Cloud - - HIT Consultant - February 17th, 2020
- The best free and open-source alternatives to Google Keep on Android - Android Police - February 17th, 2020
- Here's how Shree Cement uses IT to decrease TAT by 60% - ETCIO.com - February 17th, 2020
- Premarket stocks: Germany recession fears are back amid the coronavirus outbreak - CNN - February 17th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to Best and Affordable 5 Cloud Services 2020 - PhonesWiki - February 16th, 2020
- Reason 962 to Avoid Cloud Photo and Video Storage: Strangers May Be Able to See Your Stuff - Fstoppers - February 16th, 2020
- Cloud Is On The List - BroadcastProME.com - February 16th, 2020
- Xiaomi is offering a REALLY LONG Mi Cloud subscription plan that spans 60-YEARS - gizmochina - February 16th, 2020
- Google Drive: Lost your Android phone or WhatsApp backup? Here's where to find them - Express - February 16th, 2020
- BackBlaze reports unexpectedly high failure rate for one of Seagate's 12TB drives - Blocks and Files - February 16th, 2020
- Data Deduplication Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to2018 2026 - TechNews.mobi - February 16th, 2020
- Preparing IT teams against growing online security threats The Manila Times - The Manila Times - February 16th, 2020
- Fungible aims to slay the CPU bogeyman with composable microprocessor - Blocks and Files - February 16th, 2020
- HiveIO Adds Data Protection, BI, Cloud Storage to Its Intelligent Virtualization Solution - Integration Developers - February 12th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - News Parents - February 12th, 2020
- Catch Of The Week: Ransomware On The Rise - Los Alamos Daily Post - February 12th, 2020
- Office 365: 9 Baked-In Productivity Tools Built That Workers Are Using - CMSWire - February 12th, 2020
- Pester power! One big customer prompts Dell EMC PowerProtect systems to work with Actifio - Blocks and Files - February 12th, 2020
- Eight ways to stay safe online, Tech News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - February 12th, 2020
- Data protection must be boardroom priority - ITWeb - February 12th, 2020
- Facilis to debut version 8 of their shared storage system and version 3.5 of FastTracker MAM - Screen Africa - February 12th, 2020
- This cloud service will streamline your workflow and simplify your life - Mashable - February 10th, 2020
- We Need to Talk About Cloud Neutrality - WIRED - February 10th, 2020
- Why fast object storage is poised for the mainstream - Blocks and Files - February 10th, 2020
- Choosing the right disaster recovery for your business - ComputerWeekly.com - February 10th, 2020
- Understanding my new-found appreciation of Google Maps - IT PRO - February 10th, 2020
- Synology DS218play 2 Bay NAS Review Is it worth the extra 40+ over the TerraMaster F2-210? - Mighty Gadget - February 10th, 2020
- 7 Great ETFs to Buy for the Rise of 5G - Investorplace.com - February 10th, 2020
- Warren Mead of NS1 Recognized as 2020 CRN Channel Chief - Business Wire - February 10th, 2020
- How to Simplify Resource Management in Higher Education with Azure Tags - EdTech Magazine: Focus on Higher Education - February 1st, 2020
- Top 3 Ways to Fix OneDrive Connectivity Error Code 0x8004de40 in Windows 10 - Guiding Tech - February 1st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Size Overview by Rising Demands, Trends and Huge Business Opportunities 2020 to 2028 - VOICE of Wisconsin Rapids - February 1st, 2020
- 5 tips to clean up your Chromebook and keep it running fast - Chrome Unboxed - February 1st, 2020
- Getting the Most Out of Cloud Data Lakes - ITPro Today - January 31st, 2020
- Five signs that your business is ready to start migrating storage to the cloud - IOL - January 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage MARKET BOOMING BY SIZE, REVENUE, TREND AND TOP GROWING COMPANIES 2026 - Healthcare News - January 31st, 2020
- Kasten klimbs Kubernetes kontainer protection mountain with K10 - Blocks and Files - January 31st, 2020
- Google is taking another stab at a messaging service, and this one could work - Chrome Unboxed - January 31st, 2020
- Ten of the best home tech gadgets for 2020:from 'rollable TVs' to ingenious pop-up steam closets and hi-tech home brew kits - Homes and Property - January 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market 2020 Services, Demand, Size, Growth, Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players and Forecast to 2025... - January 26th, 2020
- HiveIO Introduces Hive Fabric 8.0 with Added Business Intelligence Capabilities and New Cloud Storage Offerings - Citybizlist Real Estate - January 26th, 2020
- Epic tells customers it will stop Google Cloud integrations, says report - Healthcare IT News - January 26th, 2020
- The three keys to a successful, data-driven 2020 - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - January 26th, 2020
- Disaster recovery failover choices: Synchronous mirrors, P2V and the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - January 26th, 2020
- Miss the look of Windows 7? Change these settings - Komando - January 26th, 2020
- Alibaba Cloud Named First Public Cloud Vendor in the World to Obtain Trusted Partner Network (TPN) Certification - Business Wire - January 26th, 2020
- The best free and open-source alternatives to Google Drive on Android - Android Police - January 26th, 2020
- In public cloud, what worked at 1PB wont work at 100PB - VentureBeat - January 26th, 2020
- Formulus Black's Forsa Software Named Finalist for TechTarget's 2019 Storage Product of the Year - Citybizlist Real Estate - January 26th, 2020
- 11 Best Ways to Fix Dropbox Not Connecting or Syncing on Windows 10 Error - Guiding Tech - January 26th, 2020
- What is AWS S3 and 5Ws for using it? - WhaTech - January 26th, 2020
- The Future of Edge Computing: Beyond IoT - Datamation - January 26th, 2020
- The 28 Best Backup and Disaster Recovery Companies for 2020 - Solutions Review - January 26th, 2020
- Signiant Sees Another Record Year in 2019 - Broadcasting & Cable - January 26th, 2020
- Major new collaborative tools feature in Premiere Pro update - RedShark News - January 26th, 2020