Backing up your iPhone is a smart move because it can protect you if you lose your iPhone or if it becomes damaged at some point. Although Apples own iCloud backup service is great, it means putting all of your data under the control of Apple (see our iCloud review).
If that doesnt sound appealing to you, or youre running out of iCloud storage space, then youll want to learn how to backup an iPhone to an external hard drive. This involves moving your previously hidden iPhone backup files from your Windows PC or Mac to an external hard drive.
Youll need an external hard drive with enough storage to be able to do the job, so look at investing in one of the best external hard drive options before you consider backing up your iPhone files.
Its been a while since it was necessary to backup your iPhone using your PC or Mac. Thanks to the magic of iCloud, youre able to make backups of your iPhone data without needing any other equipment.
This has its advantages, not the least of which is being able to make regular backups without plugging in your iPhone. The biggest problem with this approach, however, is storage. Backing up to iCloud uses your limited iCloud storage. The larger the backup files, the less space you have for essentials, including your camera photos, although you may wish to move your photo collection to the best online storage for photos instead.
Thats why backing up to an external hard drive can be a better method. Its more involved and does require you to revert to old-school iPhone backups using iTunes or, if youre using macOS Catalina, you can use Finder instead.
If you have made a backup of your iPhone using your PC or Mac, you can then move the files to an external drive.
To begin backing up an iPhone to an external hard drive on Windows, youll need to have iTunes installed. Connect your iPhone to your PC and open iTunes once its installed.
Once your iPhone is connected to your PC, unlock your iPhone and pressed trust on it to allow your PC to connect. Then your iPhone should appear under the devices tab in the left-hand menu of iTunes.
Click the iPhone icon in the top left of the iTunes screen. This is located next to the media dropdown menu (i.e. music). This brings up the device information menu for your iPhone.
To perform a manual backup of your iPhone to your PC, click back up now under the manually back up and restore section.
Your iPhone will take some time to finish backing up to your PC. Once its completed, youll have to manually copy the backup files to your external drive.
The location of iPhone backup files is C:UsersusernameAppDataRoamingApple ComputerMobileSyncBackup, replacing username with your own Windows username. You can also type %appdata%Apple ComputerMobileSyncBackup in Windows File Explorer to take you directly to the folder.
Using the date modified column, locate the newest backup for your device. Right-click on the folder and press copy. You can then attach your external hard drive, open it in File Explorer, right-click and paste the backup folder to an appropriate location. Youll need to do this every time you perform a manual backup of your iPhone to your PC.
The process for backing up an iPhone to an external hard drive on Mac is pretty similar for users with macOS Mojave or older operating systems that, like Windows, use iTunes for iPhone backups. If you use a Mac with macOS Catalina, the process differs, using Finder instead.
If you have macOS Mojave or older, connect your iPhone and open iTunes. Click the iPhone device icon in the top left. If your Mac device is running macOS Catalina, open Finder from the app dock at the bottom of your screen instead.
Click back up now in the manually back up and restore section of your device information menu. For Catalina users, the back up now button is listed under the backups section.
This process will take some time to complete, especially if it is the first time your device has been backed up. Once it has, you can begin copying your files to an external drive.
Whether youre using iTunes or Finder, the typical location for your iPhone backup files is ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync which wont appear in Finder. Click the search icon in the top right of your Mac screen and type in your backup folder location. Locate the most recent backup folder, right-click and then click copy.
Head to your external drive listed under locations in your Finder left-hand menu and paste your backup folder there.
As with Windows, youll need to do this whenever you perform a manual backup of your iPhone to Mac.
Although it isnt a straightforward process, backing up an iPhone to an external hard drive can give you control over your iPhone backups. It can also help you reclaim iCloud storage or move your iPhone backups to a cloud backup service like Carbonite in the long run (see our Carbonite review).
Depending on the size of your iPhone storage, making regular backups will require a large enough external hard drive. A 1TB storage device is the minimum size wed recommend, so be sure to take a look at our best 1TB external hard drive shortlist for options. If youre worried about Mac support, take a look at our review of the best external hard drive for Mac.
Do you prefer to manually backup your iPhone? Share your iPhone backup tips and tricks in the comments below. Thanks for reading.
See the rest here:
How to Backup an iPhone to an External Hard Drive in 2019 - Cloudwards
- Save over 90% on ultra-secure 2TB cloud storage with 256-bit AES encryption - PocketNow - December 7th, 2019
- Will Box Start Growing Now That It's Solved the Security Part of the Cloud Puzzle? - Motley Fool - December 7th, 2019
- Know How Cloud Storage Software Market is Trending in Key Regions to Reach at Next Level in Coming Years? - The Market Expedition - December 7th, 2019
- You Can Have Collaborative Software Thats Wary of the Cloud - WIRED - December 7th, 2019
- Pure Storage CEO Giancarlo Talks Cloud, Exec Changes, And Having '56 Billion More Dollars Than Dell' - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The... - December 7th, 2019
- AT&T, Verizon Subscribers Exposed as Mobile Bills Turn Up on the Open Web - Threatpost - December 7th, 2019
- Multi Cloud Storage Market 2019: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Brand Strategy, Key Companies, Social, Technology and Forecast Till 2024 - The... - December 7th, 2019
- Secure, intelligent file transfer in a hybrid cloud/multi-cloud world is more important than ever before [sponsored] - RedShark News - December 7th, 2019
- AWS Outposts: You can have any hybrid cloud you want...as long as it is Amazon - Blocks and Files - December 7th, 2019
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - OracleAlpha - December 7th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Software Market Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - OracleAlpha - December 7th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Statsflash - December 7th, 2019
- What Happened at AWS re:Invent 19? - UC Today - December 7th, 2019
- Carphone Warehouse Cyber Monday 2019 deals: today's best offers on mobile phone contracts and pay as you go - Telegraph.co.uk - December 2nd, 2019
- These cloud storage plans are all on sale this Black Friday - ITworld - December 1st, 2019
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market with Worldwide Opportunities, Share, Growth, Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2023... - December 1st, 2019
- This Cyber Monday deal on a lifetime of cloud backup will save you thousands - Mashable - December 1st, 2019
- Programming from the Cloud now available | Local News - Tullahoma News and Guardian - December 1st, 2019
- Black Friday gets you tech devices here's how to save on apps - NBC News - December 1st, 2019
- 20 years ago: Napster vs CuteMX, movie industry gets its own boogieman: DeCSS - AfterDawn - December 1st, 2019
- Blockchain for Science: Revolutionary Opportunities and Potential Problems - RTInsights - December 1st, 2019
- Best mobile phone deals in the Black Friday 2019 sale, from Apple iPhones to Samsung smartphones - Telegraph.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- 9to5Google Gift Guide: Best gifts for the mobile photographer - 9to5Google - December 1st, 2019
- 26 suppliers pinned to the File Storage Map. Who is in front? - Blocks and Files - December 1st, 2019
- Moving to the cloud are you doing it right? - TechRadar - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud Solutions: Four Key Areas of Focus - Security Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Cohesity Unveils New Solutions to Protect Cloud Databases and Enhance Data Archiving at AWS re:Invent in Las Vegas - Business Wire - November 26th, 2019
- Wyze says it will 'temporarily' yank people detection from its security cameras in January - TechHive - November 26th, 2019
- Dell and NetApp price competition puts a crimp in Pure Storage revenue growth - Blocks and Files - November 26th, 2019
- Why thousands of IT contractors face 'life-changing' tax bills - ComputerWeekly.com - November 26th, 2019
- Incisive Evaluation of Cloud Storage Gateway Market Explore How Industry Will Grow in Future by 2025 | NetApp,Agosto,Nasuni - Finance Daily Tribune - November 25th, 2019
- Sunday Deals: Save 89% on the Polar Backup Cloud Storage - Geeky Gadgets - November 25th, 2019
- 10 Most Interesting Announcements From Kubecon + CloudNativeCon 2019 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian's 9 Boldest Statements At Next '19 UK - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- Why Has Western Digitals Hard Drive Revenue Dropped 35% Over The Past 5 Years, Despite 50% Growth In Exabytes Shipped? - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- 20 Minutes With Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian At Next '19 UK - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- Digital clutter's messing with your mind here are 5 ways to 'KonMari' it - CNA - November 25th, 2019
- Microsoft 365 Suffers Outage For Several Hours - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2019 [Updated ... - May 31st, 2019
- What is cloud storage? | IBM Cloud - May 1st, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage and What Are Its Advantages? - April 12th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage? - Lifewire - April 1st, 2019
- Cloud Storage Providers - SourceForge - March 11th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2019 - March 8th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage for 2019 | Reviews.com - March 7th, 2019
- Best Cloud Storage Reviews 2019 | 31 Best Services Compared - February 25th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- Cloud Storage on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar - October 8th, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018 - August 13th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: AWS, Azure, Google, and B2 - October 18th, 2017
- 18 free cloud storage options | Network World - September 19th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Chicago - CBS Chicago - September 7th, 2017
- How Secure Is Cloud-Based Data Storage? - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Detroit - September 7th, 2017
- Deals: A Lifetime Of 2TB Cloud Storage For 90% Off - Gizmodo Australia - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft Azure: 8 Ways to Save on Cloud Storage - Enterprise Storage Forum - September 2nd, 2017
- There's a lot more to the Cloud than storage these days and competition is getting crowded - Financial Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Cloud storage provider Box's revenue rises as growth slows - Reuters - August 31st, 2017
- Whatchu doin' Upthere? Western Digital moves on cloud storage space - The Register - August 30th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan | 08/29/17 ... - Markets Insider - August 30th, 2017
- Nearly 300 years worth of porn was recorded to test Amazon's ... - Neowin - August 30th, 2017
- Western Digital (WDC) Acquires Cloud-Storage Startup Upthere - Nasdaq - August 29th, 2017
- Faction Partners with CoreSite to Launch Multi-Cloud Storage and ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017