Internet access is pretty essential to get anything done these days, whether its chatting with working-from-home colleagues in Slack, binge-watching the latest hit Netflix show, or writing up reports in Google Docs. Most of the apps we rely on run from the cloud, and its all too easy to just assume the cloud will always be there. However, thats not quite true.
Cloud outages happen on a pretty regular basis, and while its rare for multiple web platforms to be knocked out all at once, that happens too. And even if the cloud is working, your connection to it might not be. With that in mind, heres a quick guide to help you get ready for a cloud outagejust in case.
Keep your email close
Email is still a must-have for most of us when it comes to getting through the work day, and this medium relies on the cloud. While sending and receiving emails obviously isnt going to be possible if your email provider of choice goes down, you can at least make sure that youve got copies of your emails so you can still do some inbox sorting and draft some new messages.
Gmail is good at this. You can enable offline Gmail in Chrome by clicking Settings (the cog icon on the right) then See all settings, Offline, and Enable offline mail (you can choose how many days of email get cached). Gmail for Android and iOS actually syncs email for offline access automatically, though you might not realize ithead to the settings for your Gmail address from the main app menu then use the Sync Gmail and Days of emails to sync options (Android) or the Sync settings option (iOS) to manage this.
G/O Media may get a commission
Have you heard of desktop clients? Trust us, they were big in the 90s. Even if you spend most of your time managing your email inside a web browser, its still worth keeping your messages in sync with a desktop program as well, just in caseboth Windows and macOS have basic, built-in Mail apps that will sync your messages locally, or you can use something like Thunderbird.
Adding new email accounts is typically just a question of entering your login credentialsthe email program youve chosen will take care of the rest. You might need to enable third-party access from inside your email service on the web first, and maybe generate a specific password if youre using two-factor authentication. If your email is synced locally, youll at least be able to browse through it and refer back to it while youre waiting for the cloud servers to get back on their feet.
Most cloud storage services now make at least some effort to free up space on your computer by keeping certain files exclusively on the web and only downloading local copies when you actually need them. Thats great for freeing up gigabytes of space on your hard drive, not so great when your cloud storage provider starts having problems.
At the very least make sure your important files are always being synced locally as well as being stored in the cloud. With Dropbox, for example, you can do this by opening up the Dropbox file browser interface from the notification area or system tray, right-clicking on a file or folder, and choosing Smart Sync then Local. Files and folders that are fully synced have a solid green tick next to them.
In the case of OneDrive on Windows, if you right-click on the OneDrive entry in File Explorer then choose Settings and open the Settings tab, youll see a Save space and download files as you use them optionturn this off to store all your files locally. You can also right-click on individual files and folders inside File Explorer and then choose Always keep on this device to make sure important data is always kept locally.
If youre a macOS user, iCloud will start moving older, lesser-used files onlinebut only if you start running out of room on your hard drive. Open up the Apple menu then choose System Preferences, Apple ID and iCloud, then untick Optimize Mac Storage to stop this from happening. Alternatively, just make sure theres always plenty of room left on your local drive so iCloud doesnt attempt any housekeeping.
After following the cloud storage tips above, make sure youve got your work accessible offline wherever possible. This might mean keeping copies of important files on an external disk drive or a NAS drive, for exampleweve written before about how useful NAS drives can be, because they as your own personal cloud on your home network.
If youre a Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides user, you can get files created in these apps to cache locally in Chrome, just in case something happens to the cloud servers (or your internet connection). From the main Google Drive interface, click the cog icon (top right), then Settings and General: Tick the box labeled Create, open and edit your recent Google Docs, Sheets and Slides files on this device while offline and the sync begins.
Saving to the cloud is of course very useful for backing up your work, sharing it with other people, and collaborating on documents, but taking a few moments to save a local copy could save you a lot of trouble if the cloud suddenly becomes unavailable. The most recent versions of the Microsoft Office apps will encourage you to save to OneDrive for syncing purposes, so make sure your local files are actually stored, or save them in a separate folder as well.
Part of surviving a cloud outage or a network fail is just a little bit of planning. You should make sure everyone on your team knows what they need to switch to if Slack or Google Drive or iCloud should collapse, otherwise youll spend the first hour or so of any downtime trying to work out what your alternatives are.
Were not built to be ultra-productive workhorses every minute of every day, and there are times when youre going to want to kick back and enjoy some music or a movie or twowhich can be tricky in the midst of a Spotify or Netflix outage. Aside from digging out DVDs, your best bet here is to make sure your favorite films and tunes are synced ready for offline viewing or listening.
Youll find the feature in just about every music-streaming app, provided youre a paying subscriberits the little blue cloud download icons in the Apple Music desktop app, or the Download toggle switches at the top of every playlist in the Spotify desktop app, for example. It may seem pointless to sync playlists for offline listening on a computer, but it wont seem so pointless when these services go down. Offline syncing is available inside the mobile apps, too, of course.
The offline playback option is less common in video streaming apps on the desktop, so youre probably going to have to rely on phones and tablets to sync movies and shows for watching if streaming isnt availableits a good idea to have at least a few hours of entertainment available offline, just in case. Remember Chromebooks can install the Android versions of apps like Netflix and YouTube, complete with download options, as well as access the web apps.
Your best option here is actually the TV app on macOS, which is still iTunes on Windows for the time being: If this is where all your media is stored, you can click the download button (the cloud and arrow symbol) next to any show episode or film to store it locally. This works for both digital content youve bought from Apple and anything on Apple TV+.
Just take a break for a bit. You wont miss much, we promise.
- BTFS is Poised to Disrupt the Cloud Storage Industry? - ihodl.com - October 15th, 2020
- Reducing cloud storage costs: what you need to know - ITProPortal - October 15th, 2020
- Save an extra 20% on VPNs, password managers, and cloud storage - Mashable - October 15th, 2020
- Cohesity hooks up with AWS to pipe data management-as-a-service at users, starting with backup - Blocks and Files - October 15th, 2020
- The Best Backup and Restore Courses and Online Training for 2020 - Solutions Review - October 15th, 2020
- NetApp Insight 2020 conference news and coverage - TechTarget - October 15th, 2020
- iPad productivity tips: Keyboard tricks, shortcuts, and more - Fast Company - October 15th, 2020
- Cloud At The Edge, GPU Storage And LTO Gen 9 - Forbes - September 25th, 2020
- Zoom is being sued over its cloud storage practices - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Microsofts storage dream: a hard disk drive the size of a wardrobe with Samsung Galaxy S20 parts - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- How to Access S3 Buckets from Windows or Linux - ITPro Today - September 25th, 2020
- There is a hole in my cloud bucket - Fudzilla - September 25th, 2020
- Red Hat shifts automated data pipeline into OpenShift Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Seagate gets into object storage with new CORTX software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Kioxia's Ethernet SSD stirs into EBOF life as architects dream - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Ceph scales to 10 billion objects Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Google accused of using its online dominance to hold back competitors; to face antitrust lawsuit: Report - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- Synology DiskStation can keep your digital life organized and safe - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2020
- Looking for a job? The Library is here to help! | Globe Times - swglobetimes.com - September 25th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Market is Projected to Increment at an Eye-Catching CAGR by 2023 | 21.2% CAGR | Know the COVID19 Impact - Verdant News - September 25th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Platform Market: Demand Rate with Regional Outlook, Applications, Consumer Profiles & Forecast 2026 - The Daily... - September 25th, 2020
- This tiny CPU firm could play a key role in the future of Apple One - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Could Snowflake Rival Amazon in Cloud Storage and Services? Here's What You Need to Know About the New So - Tech Times - September 15th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing Can Deal With Lightning Strikes and Hackers - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - September 15th, 2020
- How to approach IT logging in the cloud vs. on premises - TechTarget - September 15th, 2020
- This lifetime web hosting subscription comes with up to 1TB of storage - Mashable - September 15th, 2020
- Keep It in the Cloud! Best Cloud Storage Systems of 2020 - iDrop News - September 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cloud Storage Software Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Amazon Web Services, Microsoft,... - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook adds cloud storage providers Dropbox and Koofr to its photo and video portability tool - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud storages you need to know - The Star, Kenya - September 6th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Impacting the Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market by Industry Analysis, by Type, Application and Top Players:Apple, Google, Box,... - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market to Witness Stunning Growth by 2027; Key Players are Riverbed Technology, SoftNAS, Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Nasuni... - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving a Cloud Computing Surge That Will Only Continue | Opinion - Newsweek - September 6th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Personal Cloud Market Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2019-2026) _ Hosted Types, Revenues, User Type, and Geography. - Galus... - September 6th, 2020
- Amazon's Blink Unveils New Wireless Security Cameras with HD Video, Flexible Storage Options, and New Battery Expansion Pack Cameras Start at $79.99... - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market Will Raise Beyond Imagination over Period 2025 | Microsoft, Oracle, Rackspace Hosting, Red Hat, IBM - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Current Industry Size and Future Prospective with Key Players, Drivers and Trends - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- Media And Entertainment Storage TAM To Exceed $16B By 2025 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Why not open our own Container Registry, muses GitHub as it gives orgs a hand at resource-sharing DEVCLASS - DevClass - September 2nd, 2020
- Sharing responsibility: Why we need to work together to keep the cloud secure - ComputerWeekly.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Data breach exposes tens of thousands of NSW drivers licences online - ABC News - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Key Takeaways From NetApp CEO George Kurian: Cloud, Coronavirus And Growth - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - September 2nd, 2020
- Responding to Cloud Misconfigurations with Security Automation and Common-Sense Tips - Security Boulevard - September 2nd, 2020
- Demand for Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market from Major End-use Sectors to Increase in the Near Future - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Prevent the storage and data security risks of remote work - TechTarget - August 29th, 2020
- Samsung kills Gallery Sync and Drive support in favor of OneDrive - Android Central - August 29th, 2020
- 4 great Android apps to edit the perfect photo - Phandroid - News for Android - August 29th, 2020
- Google Cloud and STS to Automate US Navy Maintenance Inspections Using AI and ML Technology - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- New innovative report on Cloud Storage Gateway Market Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand and Opportunities to 2027 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Storage Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 29th, 2020
- In quest to go paperless (and save money), Mizuho to start charging for bank books - Japan Today - August 29th, 2020
- NetApp posts strong Q1, plots big re-organisation Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - August 29th, 2020
- The Handiest Video Doorbells to Remotely Test Who's At your Doorstep - Herald Planet - August 29th, 2020
- Explore the best free cloud backup services on the market - TechTarget - August 26th, 2020
- Integrated Media Technologies Joins the Active Archive Alliance - Sports Video Group - August 26th, 2020
- Storj Labs and FileZilla Collaborate to Offer Secure File Storage in the Remote Work Era - Database Trends and Applications - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Compliance Frameworks: What You Need to Know - Security Boulevard - August 26th, 2020
- Reevert Unveils Advanced Tools to Enhance Network Security and Efficiency for Remote Workforces - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Enhancing Network Visibility for SD-WAN in the Era of Cloud and SaaS - The Fast Mode - August 26th, 2020
- Where to Back Up Your Smartphone Photos Online (and Why You Should) - Lifehacker - August 24th, 2020
- NordLocker encryption heads to the cloud - IT PRO - August 24th, 2020
- What Is the OneDrive File Size Limit? Microsoft's 2020 Updates - Cloudwards - August 24th, 2020
- A Security Flaw In 'Manage Versions' Feature Of Google Drive Could Allow Malware Attackers Trick Victims Into Installing Rogue Code - Digital... - August 24th, 2020
- Medical Image Cloud Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 24th, 2020
- What Is OneDrive? A 2020 Guide to Microsoft's Cloud Storage - Cloudwards - August 20th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Growth, Industry Verticals and Forecast to 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Outlook on the Healthcare Data Storage Global Market to 2026 - Opportunity Analysis for New Entrants - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 20th, 2020
- Personal Cloud Storage Market by Top Manufacturers with Production, Price, Revenue (value) and Market Share to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 16th, 2020
- Pure Storage and Cohesity in Partnership to Deliver Rapid Recovery at Scale - insideHPC - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Systems Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - eRealty Express - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 16th, 2020
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020