FOR the past several years, having a cloud computing strategy has become a de rigueur for most companies, ranging from large enterprises with global presence to tiny startups struggling to establish themselves. Cloud computing is in the process of becoming integral to enterprise IT set-ups just as ERP (enterprise resource planning) and other productivity tools are.
Even though the term "cloud computing" is used in a overarching sense to capture any activity associated with the "cloud", in actuality there are several important differentiations within cloud computing. While two companies may be both using cloud services, there may be no similarity or relation between the kind of services they use the cloud for.
In order to understand how this works there's a need to give an overarching definition of what constitutes cloud computing.
To put it simply, cloud computing is delivering services like storage, networking, software and server capacity over the Internet. Instead of companies buying their own servers and computers, they rent the services from specialised service providers which provide them through a secure connection over the Internet.
Speed, the ability to scale elastically, performance and productivity are all gains that could be realised if a corporation switches its operations to the cloud.
A company or even individuals may already be using the cloud without being aware of it. Storing a document, a photo or a song on an online storage service like Dropbox means is already "cloud computing".
In the Asia-Pacific region, businesses are constantly looking for ways to deliver digital capabilities and offerings to serve ever-growing numbers of smartphone- and tablet-toting customers, as computing goes increasingly mobile. Adopting a mobile-first, cloud-first approach helps companies differentiate themselves from competitors. Cloud computing enables businesses to build their digital offerings rapidly and deploy them quickly.
A case study highlighted by market research company Forrester showcased how important cloud services were to modern companies. An Indian e-commerce startup chose to host its enterprise resource planning (ERP) application on a public cloud infrastructure provider in Singapore. The company needed speed and flexibility in managing, among other things, its logistics, online orders and digital payments, and cloud services provided that agility. The company eventually benefited from cloud services by getting their new products to market faster, and manage their warehousing, logistics, online orders and digital payments far more efficiently.
US$236 billion market
In a market report, Forrester says the global cloud security market is estimated to reach US$3.5 billion within the next four years. Meanwhile, in less than half a decade, the company predicts the public cloud services market will reach US$236 billion, growing 30 per cent year-on-year over the next three years.
Cloud usage by governments and businesses in the Asia-Pacific region is forecasted to grow by 3.3 per cent in 2017 and 5.7 per cent in 2018, according to Forrester. Compared to the US and Europe, software and technology consulting services have grown little in the Asia-Pacific as the countries in the region are still getting up to speed in assembling the hardware infrastructure required to run complex cloud servers.
Despite the fledgling progress in the Asia-Pacific, cloud usage growth in the region is projected to be strong and constant throughout 2018 and beyond. India's tech spending will maintain the highest growth rate in the Asia-Pacific, according to Forrester. A strong economy, combined with government-led initiatives, will boost investment in the software, services and outsourcing segments.
Closer to home, Singapore is investing heavily in infrastructure to support its Smart Nation initiative. The country is chasing productivity gains by deploying robotics and automation at industry level, helping the software and tech outsourcing services to grow to support these initiatives.
In constant currency terms, software and services spending will rise by 7 per cent to 8 per cent in the Asia-Pacific region, with business process apps seen to be the largest and fastest growing software category, according to Forrester. Hardware spending will expand by 4-6 per cent, but telecom and hardware maintenance spending will see modest or even flat growth as spending is focused on other portions of the business like cloud infrastructure.
Cloud computing is growing as businesses transform their operations into nimbler, more responsive solutions, yet still keep costs down. It should no longer be a secondary consideration for a business looking to deepen customer experience (CX) bonds - it should drive it instead.
To enable this digital transition, however, there is a requirement for a lot more than just buying a roomful of servers and plonking them somewhere and expecting them to work. Companies and organisations require a robust underlying IT infrastructure, according to an IDC research report. Having strong foundations provides the "necessary flexible and agile yet resilient and secure services structure, that supports new and existing workloads seamlessly", the report said.
In the Asia-Pacific, IDC has made several predictions with regard to the future of cloud deployment across companies, and how the landscape of cloud providers will shape up to be, compared to the present. Some of them are:
What this means: Increased data consumption and the need to integrate multiple datasets will drive companies to optimise and streamline their APIs so as to modernise their applications and more crucially, increase security across their offerings.
What this means: This is an important point to note. Companies in the near future will emphasise less on building their own aforementioned giant server rooms, and instead focus on a "cloud-first" approach, working with their IaaS/PaaS to expand globally without sacrificing scalability. IDC notes that Asia-Pacific companies have yet to catch on to this trend, with just over 51 per cent of budgets currently going to traditional IT deployment, but IDC expects this to change within the next two years as competition heats up and companies vie for a differentiating factor.
What this means: Asia-Pacific organisations will see greater cloud adoption, with spending on cloud set to triple.
The future of cloud
Due to the Asia-Pacific's heterogenous nature, countries are adopting cloud computing at a different pace, says the IDC's report. Regulations, lack of infrastructure and a pressing need for relevant IT skills all hamper the deployment and adoption of widescale cloud adoption, according to IDC.
In the near future, large countries like China and India are projected to spend the largest amounts on tech in the region. China's tech market will continue its shift from hardware to software and services, says the Forrester research. China's tech market spending is forecasted to grow at 7 per cent in yuan terms, and adoption of cloud computing will reduce the need for capital expenditure and business technology will ramp up significantly as China's traditional industries learn from the media giants like Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu. Chinese firms will increasingly rely on big data and Internet of Things (IoT), and technology service partners will continue to reap the benefits from increased tech adoption, says Forrester.
Cloud computing should feature heavily in any enterprise's goal of international expansion. Reaching new markets demands flexibility and agility to react to changing environments, and cloud computing is a viable option to achieve that goal. Companies can leverage the security and scalability to keep their businesses humming in these uncertain times, where the only constant is change.
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market to Grow at a CAGR of 21.9% from 2020 to 2027 to Reach $222 Billion by 2027 - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Claims Another Win With Box Partnership - Forbes - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Enterprise Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: The Development Strategies Adopted By Major Key Players And To Understand The Competitive Scenario - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- BitDam Advanced Threat Protection now available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace - Help Net Security - July 23rd, 2020
- Nexsan Unity taps into cloud and Assureon archive - TechTarget - July 23rd, 2020
- IPVanish July sale: three months of VPN cover for the price of one with this deal - Tom's Guide UK - July 23rd, 2020
- Commvault integrates Hedvig with HyperScale X appliance Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 23rd, 2020
- Q&A: Sophos poll shows how attackers are taking advantage of cloud migration to wreak havoc - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Life After COVID 19: E-Discovery Considerations for Attorneys and Clients - JD Supra - July 23rd, 2020
- 4 Ways to Advance Your Tech Without Sacrificing Security - Security Boulevard - July 7th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Is expected to Witness Significant Growth between 2020 to 2028| Top Key Players- AWS, IBM, Microsoft, Google, Oracle, HPE - Owned - July 7th, 2020
- Software-defined storage: It's a Thing Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 7th, 2020
- Microsoft takes legal action against COVID-19-related cybercrime - Microsoft on the Issues - Microsoft - July 7th, 2020
- How Vodafone is helping MSMEs gear up for their business revival - YourStory - July 7th, 2020
- IP Video Surveillance And VSaaS Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Apsters News - July 7th, 2020
- Alternatives to banned apps Shareit and Xender for file transfer - Digit - July 4th, 2020
- I Don't Care How Great These OneDrive Improvements Are, I'm Not Using It - Gizmodo UK - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Based Storage Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2024 - AlgosOnline - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market 2020, Analysis by Growing Demand, Types, Application, Top Trends, User-Demand and Opportunities Assessment till... - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market to Grow at Robust CAGR in the COVID-19 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 4th, 2020
- Global Software-Defined Storage Market 2020-2024| Surge in Cloud Adoption to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- This cheap HP laptop hides a surprising secret that barely anyone noticed - TechRadar - July 4th, 2020
- NIAGARA GENEALOGY: Treasure your heirlooms and their stories - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault partners with Microsoft to deliver SaaS and cloud technology - ChannelLife New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- ZM: 3 Work From Home Stocks for the Second Half of 2020 - StockNews.com - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault and Microsoft Partner to Deliver SaaS and Cloud Technology Solutions - IT News Africa - July 4th, 2020
- Lockly Vision critique: A smart lock and a online video doorbell in a person effectively-built unit - Tech Gaming Report - July 4th, 2020
- Dell GM On Future With VMware And Besting HPE GreenLake - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - July 4th, 2020
- Igneous CEO hands over reins to storage industry vet Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 2nd, 2020
- The Pros and Cons of Hybrid vs Private Cloud Computing - Mighty Gadget - July 2nd, 2020
- Will we ever have a universal file storage platform? - BroadbandDeals - July 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft is finally making one of Windows 10s most unloved features actually useful - TechRadar - July 2nd, 2020
- 6 basics of storage automation, predictive analytics and AI - TechTarget - July 2nd, 2020
- WithStand Software Now Available from Associated Research - PR Web - July 2nd, 2020
- AWS Takes the High Ground with Space Unit - EnterpriseAI - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateways Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- The Global Bare Metal Cloud Market is expected to grow by $ 7.89 bn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 39% during the forecast period - Yahoo... - June 29th, 2020
- Deploying the Best of Both Worlds: Data Orchestration for Hybrid Cloud - eWeek - June 29th, 2020
- Global Hybrid Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Size, Share, Product Types, Growth Analysis, Business Statistics, Future Prospects and Key Companies... - June 29th, 2020
- Qumulo Shift opens up scale-out NAS to AWS S3 in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Microsofts new Windows File Recovery tool lets you retrieve deleted documents - The Verge - June 29th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Global Private Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Growth Rate of XX% CAGR by Competitive Factors, Innovative-Technology, Demands and Services Offered Till... - June 29th, 2020
- IHS Markit commits to three-year data and infrastructure migration to AWS cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Groundhog Day Security experts decry latest US attempt to kill end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud infrastructure continues to grow in 2020 - IT-Online - June 29th, 2020
- The Future of Peer-to-Peer Online Learning Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Content Delivery Network (CDN) Market Global Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- Current and Future Analysis of Hybrid Cloud Storage Software Market Over the Forecast Period to 2026 - Daily Facts N Trends - June 2nd, 2020
- KIOXIA Offers Thin Provisioning to Increase Cloud Storage Ability - Database Trends and Applications - June 2nd, 2020
- of COVID-19 Outbreak on Multi Cloud Storage Solutions, Global Market to witness - GroundAlerts.com - June 2nd, 2020
- BackupVault Cloud Backup review: Back(up) to reality | IT PRO - IT PRO - June 2nd, 2020
- Concert tickets and your couch: Online streaming platforms keep performers and venues in business | Opinion - PennLive - June 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft works with WANdisco to shift on-premises data lakes to the Azure cloud - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Regional Analysis, Business Growth, Applications, Emerging Opportunities And... - June 2nd, 2020
- Samsung's Galaxy M11 takes the fight to the Redmi Note 8 in India - Android Central - June 2nd, 2020
- Managing the capacity for remote work - ITWeb - June 2nd, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Reaching the limits of unlimited storage in Google Photos - telegraphherald.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Cloud Storage Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026 -... - June 1st, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market: Leading Segments and their Growth Drivers 2020-2026 - ITResearchBrief.com - June 1st, 2020
- Pure Storage CEO On Why The Firm Was 'Well Positioned' Before COVID-19 Hit And What's Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution... - June 1st, 2020
- Wasabi CEO David Friend: New $30 Million Funding Round Comes From 'Family Offices,' Not Venture Capital - CRN: Technology news for channel partners... - June 1st, 2020
- How to Take Your Work Offline in Case of an Emergency - WIRED - June 1st, 2020
- Data protection best practice more important than ever in cloud environment - ITWeb - June 1st, 2020
- E-Discovery Preservation: What to Consider as Offices Open Back Up from COVID-19 - JD Supra - June 1st, 2020
- Dell's OneFS for Google Cloud. What do the competitors think? - Blocks and Files - June 1st, 2020
- 69% off and free cloud storage makes this VPN deal one of the best around right now - TechRadar India - May 19th, 2020
- GoodFirms Survey: Around 92.13% People Believe Cloud Storage have Influenced their Data Habits - WhaTech - May 19th, 2020
- Best practices and need of cloud storage for protecting corporate and personal data - CRN.in - May 19th, 2020