FOR the past several years, having a cloud computing strategy has become a de rigueur for most companies, ranging from large enterprises with global presence to tiny startups struggling to establish themselves. Cloud computing is in the process of becoming integral to enterprise IT set-ups just as ERP (enterprise resource planning) and other productivity tools are.
Even though the term "cloud computing" is used in a overarching sense to capture any activity associated with the "cloud", in actuality there are several important differentiations within cloud computing. While two companies may be both using cloud services, there may be no similarity or relation between the kind of services they use the cloud for.
In order to understand how this works there's a need to give an overarching definition of what constitutes cloud computing.
To put it simply, cloud computing is delivering services like storage, networking, software and server capacity over the Internet. Instead of companies buying their own servers and computers, they rent the services from specialised service providers which provide them through a secure connection over the Internet.
Speed, the ability to scale elastically, performance and productivity are all gains that could be realised if a corporation switches its operations to the cloud.
A company or even individuals may already be using the cloud without being aware of it. Storing a document, a photo or a song on an online storage service like Dropbox means is already "cloud computing".
In the Asia-Pacific region, businesses are constantly looking for ways to deliver digital capabilities and offerings to serve ever-growing numbers of smartphone- and tablet-toting customers, as computing goes increasingly mobile. Adopting a mobile-first, cloud-first approach helps companies differentiate themselves from competitors. Cloud computing enables businesses to build their digital offerings rapidly and deploy them quickly.
A case study highlighted by market research company Forrester showcased how important cloud services were to modern companies. An Indian e-commerce startup chose to host its enterprise resource planning (ERP) application on a public cloud infrastructure provider in Singapore. The company needed speed and flexibility in managing, among other things, its logistics, online orders and digital payments, and cloud services provided that agility. The company eventually benefited from cloud services by getting their new products to market faster, and manage their warehousing, logistics, online orders and digital payments far more efficiently.
US$236 billion market
In a market report, Forrester says the global cloud security market is estimated to reach US$3.5 billion within the next four years. Meanwhile, in less than half a decade, the company predicts the public cloud services market will reach US$236 billion, growing 30 per cent year-on-year over the next three years.
Cloud usage by governments and businesses in the Asia-Pacific region is forecasted to grow by 3.3 per cent in 2017 and 5.7 per cent in 2018, according to Forrester. Compared to the US and Europe, software and technology consulting services have grown little in the Asia-Pacific as the countries in the region are still getting up to speed in assembling the hardware infrastructure required to run complex cloud servers.
Despite the fledgling progress in the Asia-Pacific, cloud usage growth in the region is projected to be strong and constant throughout 2018 and beyond. India's tech spending will maintain the highest growth rate in the Asia-Pacific, according to Forrester. A strong economy, combined with government-led initiatives, will boost investment in the software, services and outsourcing segments.
Closer to home, Singapore is investing heavily in infrastructure to support its Smart Nation initiative. The country is chasing productivity gains by deploying robotics and automation at industry level, helping the software and tech outsourcing services to grow to support these initiatives.
In constant currency terms, software and services spending will rise by 7 per cent to 8 per cent in the Asia-Pacific region, with business process apps seen to be the largest and fastest growing software category, according to Forrester. Hardware spending will expand by 4-6 per cent, but telecom and hardware maintenance spending will see modest or even flat growth as spending is focused on other portions of the business like cloud infrastructure.
Cloud computing is growing as businesses transform their operations into nimbler, more responsive solutions, yet still keep costs down. It should no longer be a secondary consideration for a business looking to deepen customer experience (CX) bonds - it should drive it instead.
To enable this digital transition, however, there is a requirement for a lot more than just buying a roomful of servers and plonking them somewhere and expecting them to work. Companies and organisations require a robust underlying IT infrastructure, according to an IDC research report. Having strong foundations provides the "necessary flexible and agile yet resilient and secure services structure, that supports new and existing workloads seamlessly", the report said.
In the Asia-Pacific, IDC has made several predictions with regard to the future of cloud deployment across companies, and how the landscape of cloud providers will shape up to be, compared to the present. Some of them are:
What this means: Increased data consumption and the need to integrate multiple datasets will drive companies to optimise and streamline their APIs so as to modernise their applications and more crucially, increase security across their offerings.
What this means: This is an important point to note. Companies in the near future will emphasise less on building their own aforementioned giant server rooms, and instead focus on a "cloud-first" approach, working with their IaaS/PaaS to expand globally without sacrificing scalability. IDC notes that Asia-Pacific companies have yet to catch on to this trend, with just over 51 per cent of budgets currently going to traditional IT deployment, but IDC expects this to change within the next two years as competition heats up and companies vie for a differentiating factor.
What this means: Asia-Pacific organisations will see greater cloud adoption, with spending on cloud set to triple.
The future of cloud
Due to the Asia-Pacific's heterogenous nature, countries are adopting cloud computing at a different pace, says the IDC's report. Regulations, lack of infrastructure and a pressing need for relevant IT skills all hamper the deployment and adoption of widescale cloud adoption, according to IDC.
In the near future, large countries like China and India are projected to spend the largest amounts on tech in the region. China's tech market will continue its shift from hardware to software and services, says the Forrester research. China's tech market spending is forecasted to grow at 7 per cent in yuan terms, and adoption of cloud computing will reduce the need for capital expenditure and business technology will ramp up significantly as China's traditional industries learn from the media giants like Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu. Chinese firms will increasingly rely on big data and Internet of Things (IoT), and technology service partners will continue to reap the benefits from increased tech adoption, says Forrester.
Cloud computing should feature heavily in any enterprise's goal of international expansion. Reaching new markets demands flexibility and agility to react to changing environments, and cloud computing is a viable option to achieve that goal. Companies can leverage the security and scalability to keep their businesses humming in these uncertain times, where the only constant is change.
- 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2019 [Updated ... - May 31st, 2019
- What is cloud storage? | IBM Cloud - May 1st, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage and What Are Its Advantages? - April 12th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage? - Lifewire - April 1st, 2019
- Cloud Storage Providers - SourceForge - March 11th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2019 - March 8th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage for 2019 | Reviews.com - March 7th, 2019
- Best Cloud Storage Reviews 2019 | 31 Best Services Compared - February 25th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- Cloud Storage on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar - October 8th, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018 - August 13th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: AWS, Azure, Google, and B2 - October 18th, 2017
- 18 free cloud storage options | Network World - September 19th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Chicago - CBS Chicago - September 7th, 2017
- How Secure Is Cloud-Based Data Storage? - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Detroit - September 7th, 2017
- Deals: A Lifetime Of 2TB Cloud Storage For 90% Off - Gizmodo Australia - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft Azure: 8 Ways to Save on Cloud Storage - Enterprise Storage Forum - September 2nd, 2017
- There's a lot more to the Cloud than storage these days and competition is getting crowded - Financial Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Cloud storage provider Box's revenue rises as growth slows - Reuters - August 31st, 2017
- Whatchu doin' Upthere? Western Digital moves on cloud storage space - The Register - August 30th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan | 08/29/17 ... - Markets Insider - August 30th, 2017
- Nearly 300 years worth of porn was recorded to test Amazon's ... - Neowin - August 30th, 2017
- Western Digital (WDC) Acquires Cloud-Storage Startup Upthere - Nasdaq - August 29th, 2017
- Faction Partners with CoreSite to Launch Multi-Cloud Storage and ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- A Man Backing Up Millions Of GB Of Porn May Have Ended ... - Indiatimes.com - August 29th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan - PR Newswire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Person tests Amazon's "unlimited" cloud storage by uploading 1.8 petabytes of porn - Boing Boing - August 27th, 2017
- Hedvig Advances Private, Hybrid and Multi-cloud Storage with New Integrations, Security, and All-flash Capabilities - insideBIGDATA - August 27th, 2017
- Why Storage Companies Are Partnering with Microsoft Azure for ... - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 26th, 2017
- Microsoft Unveils Cost-Cutting Archival Cloud Storage Option - eWeek - August 25th, 2017
- A Redditor Archived Nearly 2 Million Gigabytes of Porn to Test Amazon's 'Unlimited' Cloud Storage - Motherboard - August 25th, 2017
- Back up everything with lifetime 2TB cloud storage for under $50 - Popular Science - August 25th, 2017
- Google Cloud: How to Reduce Data Storage Costs and Maximize Performance - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Enterprises Encounter Cloud Storage Cost and Management Challenges - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Cisco Validates SwiftStack's hybrid cloud storage software - Read IT Quik - August 23rd, 2017
- Another Free Data Backup Option Bites The Dust - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Apollo Cloud 2 Duo offers personal cloud storage with no monthly fees - Techaeris - August 22nd, 2017
- pCloud first cloud storage provider to offer lifetime plan - PRUnderground (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Top 5 tips for doing a cloud storage cost analysis - Information Age - August 21st, 2017
- How offsite solutions can complement NAS setups - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- BBB Tip of the Week: What to look for in cloud storage - The Spokesman-Review - August 20th, 2017
- Get 2 TB of Cloud Storage from Zoolz for Life for Just $50 - The Escapist - August 20th, 2017
- Optimize a public cloud storage service with these performance tips - TechTarget - August 19th, 2017
- XenData Launches Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance Optimized for Media Files - Broadcasting & Cable - August 16th, 2017
- Lima Ultra: Tiny, personal cloud storage which just misses the mark - ZDNet - August 16th, 2017
- Secure 2TBs of cloud storage space for life for under $50 - TNW - August 16th, 2017
- Results: do you pay for extra cloud storage? How much do you need? - Phone Arena - August 16th, 2017
- XenData Debuts CX-10 Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance - TV Technology - August 16th, 2017
- Datrium Splits Provisioning to Boost Private Cloud Storage - SDxCentral - August 16th, 2017
- Film maker shuns cloud storage for Spectra Logic tape - ComputerWeekly.com - August 14th, 2017
- NetApp Has Better Storage Trends than Pure, Says Maxim - Barron's - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Backup vs Local Backup Which Option Should I Choose To Protect My Data? - Fossbytes - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Works Better With Cloud Secure! - MustTech News - August 13th, 2017
- UPDATE -- Maxwell Health Reduces Cloud Storage Costs and Reduces Recovery Times with Datos IO RecoverX for ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cloud Storage: Mature Saturation or Early Adopter Phase? | Hacked ... - Hacked - August 10th, 2017
- How To Have Cloud Storage and Backup For Life For Less - Daily Beast - August 10th, 2017
- Wasabi Technologies takes on Amazon S3 on price, performance - TechTarget - August 8th, 2017
- Here's one good reason to not rely on cloud storage - Business Insider Australia - August 6th, 2017
- Veritas Technologies Named a Leader in the 2017 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery ... - Markets Insider - August 6th, 2017
- Microsoft wants your cloud storage to sleep with the fishes, literally - Digital Trends - August 5th, 2017
- MEGA Privacy brings 50GB of free cloud storage space to Windows 10 - Windows Report - August 5th, 2017
- Team sets new record for magnetic tape storagemakes tape competitive for cloud storage - Phys.Org - August 3rd, 2017