FOR the past several years, having a cloud computing strategy has become a de rigueur for most companies, ranging from large enterprises with global presence to tiny startups struggling to establish themselves. Cloud computing is in the process of becoming integral to enterprise IT set-ups just as ERP (enterprise resource planning) and other productivity tools are.
Even though the term "cloud computing" is used in a overarching sense to capture any activity associated with the "cloud", in actuality there are several important differentiations within cloud computing. While two companies may be both using cloud services, there may be no similarity or relation between the kind of services they use the cloud for.
In order to understand how this works there's a need to give an overarching definition of what constitutes cloud computing.
To put it simply, cloud computing is delivering services like storage, networking, software and server capacity over the Internet. Instead of companies buying their own servers and computers, they rent the services from specialised service providers which provide them through a secure connection over the Internet.
Speed, the ability to scale elastically, performance and productivity are all gains that could be realised if a corporation switches its operations to the cloud.
A company or even individuals may already be using the cloud without being aware of it. Storing a document, a photo or a song on an online storage service like Dropbox means is already "cloud computing".
In the Asia-Pacific region, businesses are constantly looking for ways to deliver digital capabilities and offerings to serve ever-growing numbers of smartphone- and tablet-toting customers, as computing goes increasingly mobile. Adopting a mobile-first, cloud-first approach helps companies differentiate themselves from competitors. Cloud computing enables businesses to build their digital offerings rapidly and deploy them quickly.
A case study highlighted by market research company Forrester showcased how important cloud services were to modern companies. An Indian e-commerce startup chose to host its enterprise resource planning (ERP) application on a public cloud infrastructure provider in Singapore. The company needed speed and flexibility in managing, among other things, its logistics, online orders and digital payments, and cloud services provided that agility. The company eventually benefited from cloud services by getting their new products to market faster, and manage their warehousing, logistics, online orders and digital payments far more efficiently.
US$236 billion market
In a market report, Forrester says the global cloud security market is estimated to reach US$3.5 billion within the next four years. Meanwhile, in less than half a decade, the company predicts the public cloud services market will reach US$236 billion, growing 30 per cent year-on-year over the next three years.
Cloud usage by governments and businesses in the Asia-Pacific region is forecasted to grow by 3.3 per cent in 2017 and 5.7 per cent in 2018, according to Forrester. Compared to the US and Europe, software and technology consulting services have grown little in the Asia-Pacific as the countries in the region are still getting up to speed in assembling the hardware infrastructure required to run complex cloud servers.
Despite the fledgling progress in the Asia-Pacific, cloud usage growth in the region is projected to be strong and constant throughout 2018 and beyond. India's tech spending will maintain the highest growth rate in the Asia-Pacific, according to Forrester. A strong economy, combined with government-led initiatives, will boost investment in the software, services and outsourcing segments.
Closer to home, Singapore is investing heavily in infrastructure to support its Smart Nation initiative. The country is chasing productivity gains by deploying robotics and automation at industry level, helping the software and tech outsourcing services to grow to support these initiatives.
In constant currency terms, software and services spending will rise by 7 per cent to 8 per cent in the Asia-Pacific region, with business process apps seen to be the largest and fastest growing software category, according to Forrester. Hardware spending will expand by 4-6 per cent, but telecom and hardware maintenance spending will see modest or even flat growth as spending is focused on other portions of the business like cloud infrastructure.
Cloud computing is growing as businesses transform their operations into nimbler, more responsive solutions, yet still keep costs down. It should no longer be a secondary consideration for a business looking to deepen customer experience (CX) bonds - it should drive it instead.
To enable this digital transition, however, there is a requirement for a lot more than just buying a roomful of servers and plonking them somewhere and expecting them to work. Companies and organisations require a robust underlying IT infrastructure, according to an IDC research report. Having strong foundations provides the "necessary flexible and agile yet resilient and secure services structure, that supports new and existing workloads seamlessly", the report said.
In the Asia-Pacific, IDC has made several predictions with regard to the future of cloud deployment across companies, and how the landscape of cloud providers will shape up to be, compared to the present. Some of them are:
What this means: Increased data consumption and the need to integrate multiple datasets will drive companies to optimise and streamline their APIs so as to modernise their applications and more crucially, increase security across their offerings.
What this means: This is an important point to note. Companies in the near future will emphasise less on building their own aforementioned giant server rooms, and instead focus on a "cloud-first" approach, working with their IaaS/PaaS to expand globally without sacrificing scalability. IDC notes that Asia-Pacific companies have yet to catch on to this trend, with just over 51 per cent of budgets currently going to traditional IT deployment, but IDC expects this to change within the next two years as competition heats up and companies vie for a differentiating factor.
What this means: Asia-Pacific organisations will see greater cloud adoption, with spending on cloud set to triple.
The future of cloud
Due to the Asia-Pacific's heterogenous nature, countries are adopting cloud computing at a different pace, says the IDC's report. Regulations, lack of infrastructure and a pressing need for relevant IT skills all hamper the deployment and adoption of widescale cloud adoption, according to IDC.
In the near future, large countries like China and India are projected to spend the largest amounts on tech in the region. China's tech market will continue its shift from hardware to software and services, says the Forrester research. China's tech market spending is forecasted to grow at 7 per cent in yuan terms, and adoption of cloud computing will reduce the need for capital expenditure and business technology will ramp up significantly as China's traditional industries learn from the media giants like Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu. Chinese firms will increasingly rely on big data and Internet of Things (IoT), and technology service partners will continue to reap the benefits from increased tech adoption, says Forrester.
Cloud computing should feature heavily in any enterprise's goal of international expansion. Reaching new markets demands flexibility and agility to react to changing environments, and cloud computing is a viable option to achieve that goal. Companies can leverage the security and scalability to keep their businesses humming in these uncertain times, where the only constant is change.
- Digital Storage Markets for Media & Entertainment, 2019 to 2024 - Cloud Storage Revenue Will Reach ~$3.7 Billion by 2024 - Yahoo Finance - January 20th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2025 - Melanian News - January 20th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Service Market by Key Manufacturers, Regions, Risk Analysis, Industry Share, Driving Factors, Deployment Policy, Innovative Technology,... - January 20th, 2020
- Google takes on AWS and Azure in India with Airtel cloud deal - TechCrunch - January 20th, 2020
- The best outdoor home security cameras of 2020 - CNET - January 20th, 2020
- Tips To Choose The Right Provider For Cloud Storage And Backup - TechShout! - January 20th, 2020
- Save 39% off Adobe Creative Cloud: full access to Photoshop, Lightroom and more - TechRadar - January 20th, 2020
- Erwan Menard, Director of Infrastructure and Applications Modernization - AiThority - January 20th, 2020
- How are Business Telecoms Set to Change in 2020? - The Future of Things - January 20th, 2020
- Unboxing the Tolino Page 2 E-Reader - Goodereader - January 20th, 2020
- Smart Toys Market To 2026 Key Players, Size, Trends, Opportunities and Growth Analysis - Fusion Science Academy - January 20th, 2020
- Global Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) Market by 2024: Challenges, Drivers, Growth Opportunities, Segmentation, Insights and Overall Outlook &... - January 20th, 2020
- How it Works: Disaster Recovery as a Service With Dell EMC Cloud Storage Services and Faction | StorageReview.com - StorageReview.com - January 17th, 2020
- Cheap Adobe Creative Cloud deal: save nearly 40% on monthly subscriptions - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Were Living in a Subscriptions World. Heres How to Navigate It. - The New York Times - January 17th, 2020
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Industry 2020-2025 Expected to Grow with a Significant CAGR, Size, Trend, Demand, Analysis, Revenue Insights and Top... - January 17th, 2020
- Is Cloud Computing the Answer to Genomics Big Data... - Labiotech.eu - January 17th, 2020
- Uncovering the Long-Term Cloud Archive Equation - TV Technology - January 17th, 2020
- HPC In 2020: Acquisitions And Mergers As The New Normal - The Next Platform - January 17th, 2020
- Amazon will ask a court to block Microsoft from working on a $10 billion cloud computing contract - Q13 News Seattle - January 14th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market Outlook: Heading to the Clouds - The Market Journal - January 14th, 2020
- Jussie Smollett is probably toast now that Google is handing his data to the special prosecutor - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- The Easiest Way to Switch from Windows 7 to Linux - Lifehacker - January 14th, 2020
- Join us live online today: Find out how to store and manage data in the hybrid-cloud era to boost your business - The Register - January 14th, 2020
- VIEWPOINT: Refocusing as a Digital-First Publication - Georgetown University The Hoya - January 14th, 2020
- Cloud Computing: Current Top Trends and Technologies - Datamation - January 14th, 2020
- Cyber Security Today Millions of files on Americans found open on Internet, and how to avoid juice-jacking - IT World Canada - January 14th, 2020
- Veeam CTO On Why Veeam Wanted To Be Acquired And What Comes Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - January 14th, 2020
- Top five trends in IT for this year - TechRadar - January 4th, 2020
- Lost messages? Here's how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android and iOS devices - Free Press Journal - January 4th, 2020
- [Case Study] How This Maternity Hospital Chain Moved Its Technology Infrastructure To A Cloud Platform - Analytics India Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- Get $30 off a year of Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan - Macworld - January 4th, 2020
- Google Photos: The Best Tips and Tricks - Digital Trends - January 4th, 2020
- There's now a new way to experience your favorite shows thanks to the Astro Ultra Box - Mashable SE Asia - January 4th, 2020
- Age of Innovation: Learning from Infinity and Beyond - Porterville Recorder - January 4th, 2020
- Why your business should be using backup as a service - ITProPortal - January 1st, 2020
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market is Expected to Grow from USD 10.4 Billion in 2019 to USD 34.5 Billion by 2024; Growing at a CAGR of 27.1%. -... - January 1st, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market To Witness Robust Expansion Throughout The Forecast Period 2019 2025 - Market Reports Observer - January 1st, 2020
- Red Shark Review of the Year - August 2019 - RedShark News - January 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Fixes for iCloud Drive Not Syncing on Windows 10 Issue - Guiding Tech - January 1st, 2020
- Cloud Compute in 2019: Workloads and Options - insideHPC - January 1st, 2020
- PrimeArray Systems, Inc. Offers Optical Disc Migration Services - Ripping Services to Hard Drive, Disc Archiving Services, Disc Data Ripping, and... - January 1st, 2020
- Global Healthcare Data Storage Market is Projected to Grow at a CAGR of 14.3% During the Forecast Period - Yahoo Finance - January 1st, 2020
- 5 Trends That Defined Each Year in the 2010s Decade - Security Sales & Integration - January 1st, 2020
- Strange Cloud Outages that Shook up the Tech World in 2019 - EnterpriseTalk - January 1st, 2020
- What is Amazon Athena? - TechRadar - January 1st, 2020
- The One Best REIT To Own In 2020 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Year in review: Best Android apps of 2019 - The South African - January 1st, 2020
- From Boombox To Wireless Speakers: How Tech Evolved Over The Last Decade - Tech Revolution In 2010s - Economic Times - January 1st, 2020
- From retail to robotics, Jeff Bezos is betting big on technology - ETBrandEquity.com - January 1st, 2020
- Amazon's second act, Microsoft's revival and red-hot IPOs highlighted the decade of the cloud - CNBC - December 25th, 2019
- The 3 biggest storage advances of the 2010s - ZDNet - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Professionals Give 11 Predictions for Cloud's Evolution in 2020 - Database Trends and Applications - December 25th, 2019
- Google Drive vs OneDrive: Which is better? - ValueWalk - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Predictions: What 2020 Will Bring - Datanami - December 25th, 2019
- VC Investments In Enterprise Tech And AI - Forbes - December 25th, 2019
- VMware to use MinIO object storage in Kubernetes embrace - Blocks and Files - December 25th, 2019
- These shockingly low prices on Blink security systems and Amazon Fire TVs only last one day - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- SolarWinds Gears New Backup for Office 365 Solution Toward MSPs - ITPro Today - December 25th, 2019
- Disrupting the disruptors: The power of hybrid integration - ITProPortal - December 25th, 2019
- Alexa and Google enabled smart plugs are just $7.50 each in this crazy year-end sale - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- Reds team up with leader in cloud storage Acronis - Liverpool FC - December 19th, 2019
- The 5 Best Deals on Cloud Storage and Backup This Holiday Season - XDA Developers - December 19th, 2019
- Data Stored in the Cloud Needs Backup Heres Why - TechiExpert.com - December 19th, 2019
- Why Prudential's Top Line Is Likely To Shrink Nearly $1 Billion In 2019 - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- Swedish c.bank ends five years of negative rates with hike to zero - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- A Data Leak Exposed The Personal Information Of Over 3,000 Ring Users - BuzzFeed News - December 19th, 2019
- Google Photos vs iCloud Photos: Which One to Use on iPhone - Guiding Tech - December 19th, 2019
- QLD TAFE to rip out legacy Veritas tech in cloud shift - ARNnet - December 19th, 2019
- Endurance International hosted Cloudbazaar 2019 the premier event for cloud, domains and web hosting - ETCIO.com - December 19th, 2019
- The three Cs of Actifio 10c: Clouds, containers and copy data - Blocks and Files - December 19th, 2019
- AWS Outposts Is GA. Now What? - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 19th, 2019
- Experts Share Their 2020 Backup and Disaster Recovery Predictions - Solutions Review - December 19th, 2019
- Amazon, AWS and antitrust: How tough could US lawmakers be on the tech titan? - ComputerWeekly.com - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Gateways For File-Based Applications And IEDM Announcements - Forbes - December 17th, 2019
- Denodo Platform Now Available on the Google Cloud Platform Marketplace Providing Realtime Data Delivery Through Data Virtualization - MarTech Series - December 17th, 2019
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: Future Innovation Ways That, Growth & Profit Analysis, Forecast By 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 17th, 2019
- Global Cloud Storage Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corporation, EMC Corporation Amazon Web Services Inc., Rackspace Hosting Inc.... - December 17th, 2019
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market Forecasts to 2024: A $34.5 Billion Opportunity, Driven by Massive Growth in Data Volumes & Increasing Adoption of... - December 17th, 2019
- How the Home Office's Immigration Technology department reduced its cloud costs by 40% - GOV.UK - December 17th, 2019