FOR the past several years, having a cloud computing strategy has become a de rigueur for most companies, ranging from large enterprises with global presence to tiny startups struggling to establish themselves. Cloud computing is in the process of becoming integral to enterprise IT set-ups just as ERP (enterprise resource planning) and other productivity tools are.
Even though the term "cloud computing" is used in a overarching sense to capture any activity associated with the "cloud", in actuality there are several important differentiations within cloud computing. While two companies may be both using cloud services, there may be no similarity or relation between the kind of services they use the cloud for.
In order to understand how this works there's a need to give an overarching definition of what constitutes cloud computing.
To put it simply, cloud computing is delivering services like storage, networking, software and server capacity over the Internet. Instead of companies buying their own servers and computers, they rent the services from specialised service providers which provide them through a secure connection over the Internet.
Speed, the ability to scale elastically, performance and productivity are all gains that could be realised if a corporation switches its operations to the cloud.
A company or even individuals may already be using the cloud without being aware of it. Storing a document, a photo or a song on an online storage service like Dropbox means is already "cloud computing".
In the Asia-Pacific region, businesses are constantly looking for ways to deliver digital capabilities and offerings to serve ever-growing numbers of smartphone- and tablet-toting customers, as computing goes increasingly mobile. Adopting a mobile-first, cloud-first approach helps companies differentiate themselves from competitors. Cloud computing enables businesses to build their digital offerings rapidly and deploy them quickly.
A case study highlighted by market research company Forrester showcased how important cloud services were to modern companies. An Indian e-commerce startup chose to host its enterprise resource planning (ERP) application on a public cloud infrastructure provider in Singapore. The company needed speed and flexibility in managing, among other things, its logistics, online orders and digital payments, and cloud services provided that agility. The company eventually benefited from cloud services by getting their new products to market faster, and manage their warehousing, logistics, online orders and digital payments far more efficiently.
US$236 billion market
In a market report, Forrester says the global cloud security market is estimated to reach US$3.5 billion within the next four years. Meanwhile, in less than half a decade, the company predicts the public cloud services market will reach US$236 billion, growing 30 per cent year-on-year over the next three years.
Cloud usage by governments and businesses in the Asia-Pacific region is forecasted to grow by 3.3 per cent in 2017 and 5.7 per cent in 2018, according to Forrester. Compared to the US and Europe, software and technology consulting services have grown little in the Asia-Pacific as the countries in the region are still getting up to speed in assembling the hardware infrastructure required to run complex cloud servers.
Despite the fledgling progress in the Asia-Pacific, cloud usage growth in the region is projected to be strong and constant throughout 2018 and beyond. India's tech spending will maintain the highest growth rate in the Asia-Pacific, according to Forrester. A strong economy, combined with government-led initiatives, will boost investment in the software, services and outsourcing segments.
Closer to home, Singapore is investing heavily in infrastructure to support its Smart Nation initiative. The country is chasing productivity gains by deploying robotics and automation at industry level, helping the software and tech outsourcing services to grow to support these initiatives.
In constant currency terms, software and services spending will rise by 7 per cent to 8 per cent in the Asia-Pacific region, with business process apps seen to be the largest and fastest growing software category, according to Forrester. Hardware spending will expand by 4-6 per cent, but telecom and hardware maintenance spending will see modest or even flat growth as spending is focused on other portions of the business like cloud infrastructure.
Cloud computing is growing as businesses transform their operations into nimbler, more responsive solutions, yet still keep costs down. It should no longer be a secondary consideration for a business looking to deepen customer experience (CX) bonds - it should drive it instead.
To enable this digital transition, however, there is a requirement for a lot more than just buying a roomful of servers and plonking them somewhere and expecting them to work. Companies and organisations require a robust underlying IT infrastructure, according to an IDC research report. Having strong foundations provides the "necessary flexible and agile yet resilient and secure services structure, that supports new and existing workloads seamlessly", the report said.
In the Asia-Pacific, IDC has made several predictions with regard to the future of cloud deployment across companies, and how the landscape of cloud providers will shape up to be, compared to the present. Some of them are:
What this means: Increased data consumption and the need to integrate multiple datasets will drive companies to optimise and streamline their APIs so as to modernise their applications and more crucially, increase security across their offerings.
What this means: This is an important point to note. Companies in the near future will emphasise less on building their own aforementioned giant server rooms, and instead focus on a "cloud-first" approach, working with their IaaS/PaaS to expand globally without sacrificing scalability. IDC notes that Asia-Pacific companies have yet to catch on to this trend, with just over 51 per cent of budgets currently going to traditional IT deployment, but IDC expects this to change within the next two years as competition heats up and companies vie for a differentiating factor.
What this means: Asia-Pacific organisations will see greater cloud adoption, with spending on cloud set to triple.
The future of cloud
Due to the Asia-Pacific's heterogenous nature, countries are adopting cloud computing at a different pace, says the IDC's report. Regulations, lack of infrastructure and a pressing need for relevant IT skills all hamper the deployment and adoption of widescale cloud adoption, according to IDC.
In the near future, large countries like China and India are projected to spend the largest amounts on tech in the region. China's tech market will continue its shift from hardware to software and services, says the Forrester research. China's tech market spending is forecasted to grow at 7 per cent in yuan terms, and adoption of cloud computing will reduce the need for capital expenditure and business technology will ramp up significantly as China's traditional industries learn from the media giants like Tencent, Alibaba and Baidu. Chinese firms will increasingly rely on big data and Internet of Things (IoT), and technology service partners will continue to reap the benefits from increased tech adoption, says Forrester.
Cloud computing should feature heavily in any enterprise's goal of international expansion. Reaching new markets demands flexibility and agility to react to changing environments, and cloud computing is a viable option to achieve that goal. Companies can leverage the security and scalability to keep their businesses humming in these uncertain times, where the only constant is change.
- Box Business Plus review: Cloud storage that's very hard to beat - IT PRO - December 11th, 2019
- Blackblaze Mobile 5.0 launches with B2 support and increased file size limits - 9to5Mac - December 11th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Gateways Market Competitive Research And Precise Outlook 2019 To 2025 - The Market Publicist - December 11th, 2019
- Five predictions on the future of cloud usage - ITProPortal - December 11th, 2019
- Nasuni Attains Validation as VMware Partner Ready for VMware Cloud on AWS - PRNewswire - December 11th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Gateway (CSG) Market Size & Share Analysis in terms of value & volume by 2025 - The Industry Press Releases - December 11th, 2019
- Global Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Daily Industry News Journal - December 11th, 2019
- What's the Glue That Holds Your Tech Stack Together? - CMSWire - December 11th, 2019
- Global Public Cloud Storage Service Market 2019 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Global Market News 24 - December 11th, 2019
- StorCentric's Retrospect joins backup to cloud crowd - Blocks and Files - December 11th, 2019
- Innovative Report on Cloud Storage Market with Global Innovations, Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies Global Forecast... - December 11th, 2019
- Storage steps into the intelligent era as AWS expands its storage portfolio - SiliconANGLE - December 8th, 2019
- 7 Tech CEOs Share Marketing Trends And Predictions For 2020 - Forbes - December 8th, 2019
- 3 Things to Watch in the Stock Market This Week - Nasdaq - December 8th, 2019
- Best drawing and painting software of 2020 - Techradar - December 8th, 2019
- Sky TV and Netflix get a new rival: new streaming service revealed and it's FREE to watch - Express - December 8th, 2019
- Save over 90% on ultra-secure 2TB cloud storage with 256-bit AES encryption - PocketNow - December 7th, 2019
- Will Box Start Growing Now That It's Solved the Security Part of the Cloud Puzzle? - Motley Fool - December 7th, 2019
- Know How Cloud Storage Software Market is Trending in Key Regions to Reach at Next Level in Coming Years? - The Market Expedition - December 7th, 2019
- You Can Have Collaborative Software Thats Wary of the Cloud - WIRED - December 7th, 2019
- Pure Storage CEO Giancarlo Talks Cloud, Exec Changes, And Having '56 Billion More Dollars Than Dell' - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The... - December 7th, 2019
- Multi Cloud Storage Market 2019: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Brand Strategy, Key Companies, Social, Technology and Forecast Till 2024 - The... - December 7th, 2019
- Secure, intelligent file transfer in a hybrid cloud/multi-cloud world is more important than ever before [sponsored] - RedShark News - December 7th, 2019
- AWS Outposts: You can have any hybrid cloud you want...as long as it is Amazon - Blocks and Files - December 7th, 2019
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - OracleAlpha - December 7th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Software Market Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - OracleAlpha - December 7th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Statsflash - December 7th, 2019
- What Happened at AWS re:Invent 19? - UC Today - December 7th, 2019
- How to Backup an iPhone to an External Hard Drive in 2019 - Cloudwards - December 2nd, 2019
- Carphone Warehouse Cyber Monday 2019 deals: today's best offers on mobile phone contracts and pay as you go - Telegraph.co.uk - December 2nd, 2019
- These cloud storage plans are all on sale this Black Friday - ITworld - December 1st, 2019
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market with Worldwide Opportunities, Share, Growth, Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2023... - December 1st, 2019
- This Cyber Monday deal on a lifetime of cloud backup will save you thousands - Mashable - December 1st, 2019
- Programming from the Cloud now available | Local News - Tullahoma News and Guardian - December 1st, 2019
- Black Friday gets you tech devices here's how to save on apps - NBC News - December 1st, 2019
- 20 years ago: Napster vs CuteMX, movie industry gets its own boogieman: DeCSS - AfterDawn - December 1st, 2019
- Blockchain for Science: Revolutionary Opportunities and Potential Problems - RTInsights - December 1st, 2019
- Best mobile phone deals in the Black Friday 2019 sale, from Apple iPhones to Samsung smartphones - Telegraph.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- 9to5Google Gift Guide: Best gifts for the mobile photographer - 9to5Google - December 1st, 2019
- 26 suppliers pinned to the File Storage Map. Who is in front? - Blocks and Files - December 1st, 2019
- Moving to the cloud are you doing it right? - TechRadar - November 26th, 2019
- Cohesity Unveils New Solutions to Protect Cloud Databases and Enhance Data Archiving at AWS re:Invent in Las Vegas - Business Wire - November 26th, 2019
- Wyze says it will 'temporarily' yank people detection from its security cameras in January - TechHive - November 26th, 2019
- Dell and NetApp price competition puts a crimp in Pure Storage revenue growth - Blocks and Files - November 26th, 2019
- Incisive Evaluation of Cloud Storage Gateway Market Explore How Industry Will Grow in Future by 2025 | NetApp,Agosto,Nasuni - Finance Daily Tribune - November 25th, 2019
- Sunday Deals: Save 89% on the Polar Backup Cloud Storage - Geeky Gadgets - November 25th, 2019
- 10 Most Interesting Announcements From Kubecon + CloudNativeCon 2019 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian's 9 Boldest Statements At Next '19 UK - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- Why Has Western Digitals Hard Drive Revenue Dropped 35% Over The Past 5 Years, Despite 50% Growth In Exabytes Shipped? - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- 20 Minutes With Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian At Next '19 UK - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- Digital clutter's messing with your mind here are 5 ways to 'KonMari' it - CNA - November 25th, 2019
- Microsoft 365 Suffers Outage For Several Hours - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2019 [Updated ... - May 31st, 2019
- What is cloud storage? | IBM Cloud - May 1st, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage and What Are Its Advantages? - April 12th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage? - Lifewire - April 1st, 2019
- Cloud Storage Providers - SourceForge - March 11th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2019 - March 8th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage for 2019 | Reviews.com - March 7th, 2019
- Best Cloud Storage Reviews 2019 | 31 Best Services Compared - February 25th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- Cloud Storage on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar - October 8th, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018 - August 13th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017