By Rick Clarkson, Chief Strategy Officer,Signiant
Over the past few years, IT managers in the M&E sector have been dealing with increasingly global and elaborate media supply chains. Consumer demand for content on any device, at anytime, anywhere in the world has pushed content production and distribution workflows to include far more people and far more file movement. On top of that, a massive surge of data in the industry from increasing frame sizes and resolution rates, the adoption of virtual/augmented reality, and the massive amounts of raw footage capture required for reality-based programming, sports events and feature films has further complicated the situation. New technologies, particularly innovations in cloud services, have emerged to help, but they can add even more complexity without the right plan.
Almost all media companies are adopting the cloud for some workflows and use cases, but most are not going all in. Rather, theyre choosing a hybrid cloud approach, continuing to leverage on-premises storage and software alongside cloud investments. At the same time, many of those companies utilize multiple cloud vendors. This new hybrid cloud/multi-cloud world has a lot of benefits but also creates challenges, particularly around storage which, in media, is always at the forefront of ITs mind.
Not only do IT managers have to keep up with evolving storage options, they have to understand how each will interact with their entire software stack and determine if they will support both short and long-term business goals. The result often includes an array of tiered storage types that are distributed across multiple on- premises locations (private clouds) as well as across multiple public cloud providers and regions.
Often, the larger the company the more complex the situation, and even more so for companies that have been through mergers and acquisitions. In those situations, IT managers can face storage and software incompatibilities along with different legacy, active and potential storage solutions from dozens of vendors.
Whatever the situation, managing storage in todays media environment is a difficult, ever-changing, job.
Signiant is well known in M&E for providing secure and reliable intelligent file transfer solutions. A unique aspect of Signiants platform is what we call storage independence, meaning our products are never bundled with storage and are compatible with all storage types, both on-premises and in the cloud. As a result, Signiants software provides a valuable abstraction layer, removing the complexity of dealing with different storage types in different locations. This empowers IT managers and end users in several ways.
Many software vendors require customers to use a particular type of storage by bundling their services with storage (often their own) or only supporting a limited number of storage options. For example, services like Dropbox or Google Drive bundle storage as part of the service. Those services are great for many applications but have well-known limitations when working with large files, and storage bundling presents additional challenges with respect to security, cost and performance.
Arguably, for some types of software, storage independence doesnt matter that much. However, in media, its critical. Most media companies understand the need for secure file acceleration solutions that can transfer large data volumes quickly over public and private IP networks. Storage independence, on the other hand, is a more recently recognized requirement, and is quickly becoming core to business operations for forward-thinking companies in M&E. Why?
At best, a lack of storage independence limits your ability to create a flexible storage strategy for all of your companys assets and projects. At worst, it takes content out of your direct control and hides storage costs. Its important that the software responsible for transferring files between your entire network of storage, systems, partners and people is flexible enough to support your storage choices, now and as the storage landscape continues to evolve.
In recent years, cloud storage has gained traction as organizations see the benefits of its elastic capabilities, raising new questions about what should stay on premises and how cloud storage should be leveraged. Most media companies have invested heavily in their fixed IT infrastructure, including on-premises tiered storage that balances performance and cost for different use cases. In those cases, its important to look for file acceleration software that can be deployed with and easily configured to support different storage types, whether on-premises or cloud. This allows IT managers to strategize on a case-by-case basis and as requirements change.
Here are three cases to consider:
1. Freeing up overflowing primary storage
A top concern for many media companies is freeing up local primary storage, which is typically housed in expensive, high-performing systems. Some companies choose to offload inactive content to mid-tier, more affordable on-premises systems, while others are offloading to cloud storage in AWS, Azure and/or Google in order to take advantage of its flexibility, ease of deployment, and pay-for-what- you-use pricing model.
2. Disaster recovery
Disaster recovery (DR) is one area where cloud storage is being adopted, offering elasticity and high availability. Short-term backup is typically put in place to facilitate disaster recovery for high-value projects such as feature films or episodic television production. Being able to quickly move large files to and from backup storage is required for disaster recovery. Acceleration software that overcomes network latency and congestion typically associated with moving large data sets to or from cloud storage is key for DR. In these cases, having a file transfer solution that both moves large files quickly and supports storage independence allows you to choose and switch between cloud storage providers, supporting an intelligent, flexible storage strategy.
3. Long-term archiving
Archiving is another area where cloud storage is being considered now that lower cost options are available such as AWS Glacier. Glacier offers a much lower cost tier of storage but sacrifices the immediacy required for DR. However, it still is important to be able to move your files quickly into archives as the amount of content produced in a day may exceed the amount of available network bandwidth you have to move it at night. Acceleration software allows companies to get their data into backup storage during off hours to keep the network freed up when creative resources are at work.
In the end, companies should assume the volume of content will continue to grow as will storage options. As new features or new providers become appropriate to implement, there should be no barriers to adoption. This is where large file transfer solutions that are fully storage independent grow in importance.
Storage independence has long been a central tenant in the design of all of Signiants intelligent file transfer solutions. Our products allow the flexibility to choose the right storage for each situation, never tying you to any one storage type or vendor, whether on-premises or cloud. For media companies already in the hybrid cloud/multi-cloud world, Signiant technology has become an increasingly important abstraction layer, allowing IT to choose different storage types for different use cases while giving creative professionals and partners a secure means to transfer content with speed and ease.
And for media companies planning to adopt a hybrid cloud/multi-cloud approach now or in the future, intelligent large file transfer solutions that are storage independent will be essential to thriving in that new world.
Signiants enterprise software provides the worlds top content creators and distributors with fast, reliable, secure access to large media files, regardless of physical storage type or location. By enabling authorized people and processes to seamlessly exchange valuable content within and between enterprises Signiant connects the global media supply chain. For more information, please visit http://www.signiant.com.
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market to Grow at a CAGR of 21.9% from 2020 to 2027 to Reach $222 Billion by 2027 - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Claims Another Win With Box Partnership - Forbes - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Enterprise Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: The Development Strategies Adopted By Major Key Players And To Understand The Competitive Scenario - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- BitDam Advanced Threat Protection now available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace - Help Net Security - July 23rd, 2020
- Nexsan Unity taps into cloud and Assureon archive - TechTarget - July 23rd, 2020
- IPVanish July sale: three months of VPN cover for the price of one with this deal - Tom's Guide UK - July 23rd, 2020
- Commvault integrates Hedvig with HyperScale X appliance Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 23rd, 2020
- Q&A: Sophos poll shows how attackers are taking advantage of cloud migration to wreak havoc - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Life After COVID 19: E-Discovery Considerations for Attorneys and Clients - JD Supra - July 23rd, 2020
- 4 Ways to Advance Your Tech Without Sacrificing Security - Security Boulevard - July 7th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Is expected to Witness Significant Growth between 2020 to 2028| Top Key Players- AWS, IBM, Microsoft, Google, Oracle, HPE - Owned - July 7th, 2020
- Software-defined storage: It's a Thing Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 7th, 2020
- Microsoft takes legal action against COVID-19-related cybercrime - Microsoft on the Issues - Microsoft - July 7th, 2020
- How Vodafone is helping MSMEs gear up for their business revival - YourStory - July 7th, 2020
- IP Video Surveillance And VSaaS Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Apsters News - July 7th, 2020
- Alternatives to banned apps Shareit and Xender for file transfer - Digit - July 4th, 2020
- I Don't Care How Great These OneDrive Improvements Are, I'm Not Using It - Gizmodo UK - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Based Storage Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2024 - AlgosOnline - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market 2020, Analysis by Growing Demand, Types, Application, Top Trends, User-Demand and Opportunities Assessment till... - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market to Grow at Robust CAGR in the COVID-19 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 4th, 2020
- Global Software-Defined Storage Market 2020-2024| Surge in Cloud Adoption to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- This cheap HP laptop hides a surprising secret that barely anyone noticed - TechRadar - July 4th, 2020
- NIAGARA GENEALOGY: Treasure your heirlooms and their stories - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault partners with Microsoft to deliver SaaS and cloud technology - ChannelLife New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- ZM: 3 Work From Home Stocks for the Second Half of 2020 - StockNews.com - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault and Microsoft Partner to Deliver SaaS and Cloud Technology Solutions - IT News Africa - July 4th, 2020
- Lockly Vision critique: A smart lock and a online video doorbell in a person effectively-built unit - Tech Gaming Report - July 4th, 2020
- Dell GM On Future With VMware And Besting HPE GreenLake - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - July 4th, 2020
- Igneous CEO hands over reins to storage industry vet Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 2nd, 2020
- The Pros and Cons of Hybrid vs Private Cloud Computing - Mighty Gadget - July 2nd, 2020
- Will we ever have a universal file storage platform? - BroadbandDeals - July 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft is finally making one of Windows 10s most unloved features actually useful - TechRadar - July 2nd, 2020
- 6 basics of storage automation, predictive analytics and AI - TechTarget - July 2nd, 2020
- WithStand Software Now Available from Associated Research - PR Web - July 2nd, 2020
- AWS Takes the High Ground with Space Unit - EnterpriseAI - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateways Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- The Global Bare Metal Cloud Market is expected to grow by $ 7.89 bn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 39% during the forecast period - Yahoo... - June 29th, 2020
- Deploying the Best of Both Worlds: Data Orchestration for Hybrid Cloud - eWeek - June 29th, 2020
- Global Hybrid Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Size, Share, Product Types, Growth Analysis, Business Statistics, Future Prospects and Key Companies... - June 29th, 2020
- Qumulo Shift opens up scale-out NAS to AWS S3 in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Microsofts new Windows File Recovery tool lets you retrieve deleted documents - The Verge - June 29th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Global Private Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Growth Rate of XX% CAGR by Competitive Factors, Innovative-Technology, Demands and Services Offered Till... - June 29th, 2020
- IHS Markit commits to three-year data and infrastructure migration to AWS cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Groundhog Day Security experts decry latest US attempt to kill end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud infrastructure continues to grow in 2020 - IT-Online - June 29th, 2020
- The Future of Peer-to-Peer Online Learning Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Content Delivery Network (CDN) Market Global Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- Current and Future Analysis of Hybrid Cloud Storage Software Market Over the Forecast Period to 2026 - Daily Facts N Trends - June 2nd, 2020
- KIOXIA Offers Thin Provisioning to Increase Cloud Storage Ability - Database Trends and Applications - June 2nd, 2020
- of COVID-19 Outbreak on Multi Cloud Storage Solutions, Global Market to witness - GroundAlerts.com - June 2nd, 2020
- BackupVault Cloud Backup review: Back(up) to reality | IT PRO - IT PRO - June 2nd, 2020
- Concert tickets and your couch: Online streaming platforms keep performers and venues in business | Opinion - PennLive - June 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft works with WANdisco to shift on-premises data lakes to the Azure cloud - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Regional Analysis, Business Growth, Applications, Emerging Opportunities And... - June 2nd, 2020
- Samsung's Galaxy M11 takes the fight to the Redmi Note 8 in India - Android Central - June 2nd, 2020
- Managing the capacity for remote work - ITWeb - June 2nd, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Reaching the limits of unlimited storage in Google Photos - telegraphherald.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Cloud Storage Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026 -... - June 1st, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market: Leading Segments and their Growth Drivers 2020-2026 - ITResearchBrief.com - June 1st, 2020
- Pure Storage CEO On Why The Firm Was 'Well Positioned' Before COVID-19 Hit And What's Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution... - June 1st, 2020
- Wasabi CEO David Friend: New $30 Million Funding Round Comes From 'Family Offices,' Not Venture Capital - CRN: Technology news for channel partners... - June 1st, 2020
- How to Take Your Work Offline in Case of an Emergency - WIRED - June 1st, 2020
- Data protection best practice more important than ever in cloud environment - ITWeb - June 1st, 2020
- E-Discovery Preservation: What to Consider as Offices Open Back Up from COVID-19 - JD Supra - June 1st, 2020
- Dell's OneFS for Google Cloud. What do the competitors think? - Blocks and Files - June 1st, 2020
- 69% off and free cloud storage makes this VPN deal one of the best around right now - TechRadar India - May 19th, 2020
- GoodFirms Survey: Around 92.13% People Believe Cloud Storage have Influenced their Data Habits - WhaTech - May 19th, 2020
- Best practices and need of cloud storage for protecting corporate and personal data - CRN.in - May 19th, 2020