In recent months, especially following the forced online shift through lockdown, there has been a rush across industries to adopt more cloud technology. Education is no exception, and tools such as Zoom, Teams and Microsoft 365 have shot to the top of must-have lists for educators.
Even for institutions that have already started a digital transformation journey, there will likely be conversations happening around how systems can be streamlined and security measures regulated, as more work is being completed remotely.
Security is also particularly high on the digital radar as instances of malware and ransomware attacks are becoming more prevalent, and can compromise sensitive data. A recent ransomware attack on US-based software-as-a-service (SaaS) provider Blackbaud shows how student and staff data within universities can fall prey to cyber criminals.
True cyber security relies on a secure digital infrastructure, and as some of the biggest cyber security suppliers on the planet, cloud providers are aware of the implications. Security has always been a top priority for cloud providers, and they are continually investing in making sure their infrastructure is highly secure. The use of public cloud by high-profile clients such as the military and government organisations also means the level of security across the board is of the highest standard.
Most of the major cloud providers, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft and Google,use a shared responsibility model, which means there are various steps a user needs to take to ensure that they are using cloud services in a secure way it doesnt all fall on the provider.
A shared responsibility model means that all players assume some level of security responsibility. For example, this is often a two-way split between cloud provider and customer, or a three-way split between cloud provider, customer and managed service provider. However, many players are involved in the process, and each will have a role to play in ensuring the security of data.
A good example is the evolution of AWSs digital storage facility, S3. It used to be very easy for a user to create an S3 storage location, called a bucket, which is automatically open to the public, and viewable by anyone with access to the URL. If a bucket was compromised, the blame would have been directed at the user for not switching the settings to private.
For this reason, AWS has updated the service so the standard configuration is private, and the user has to manually make the bucket publicly viewable, should they choose to. AWS is, technically, not responsible for how a user configures a bucket, but has altered the infrastructure to make it easier for the user to select the most secure options.
There are various levels of security that come into play with a shared responsibility model. The physical security of a datacentre is the responsibility of the cloud provider, as they own the physical estate.
This means the cloud provider is responsible for regulating who is allowed to enter the centre and so on. The provider also carries responsibility for the security of the underlying infrastructure. This includes ensuring that security features are built into the cloud platform but does not stretch to elements such as password strength or enabling multifactor authentication (MFA), which are the responsibility of the user.
Users are also responsible for how they deploy cloud applications, and whether they encrypt any data stored on them. These elements use the security tools built by the cloud provider, but the configuration and use of these tools is the responsibility of the user.
For example, if a lecturer uses Microsoft Teams to gather and store coursework from students, there is an implicit trust between the student and lecturer that the lecturer will store the work in a secure way. But there is also onus on the student to upload it safely for example, not making the document public or sending it over an insecure connection. The responsibility of Microsoft, the cloud provider of Teams, is to make sure that, in building and hosting the application, these security measures are possible and easy to implement.
With an increased move to cloud in the education sector, understanding the dividing lines within this model is essential. Moving services to the cloud doesnt mean abdicating all responsibility the security of cloud platforms and the data within is a collaborative effort.
To hear more about cyber security and get involved in the discussion, sign up for JISCs security conference, running online from 3-5 November 2020. Entry is free, book your place here.
- Global Cloud Storage Providers Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Pertino, Asigra, SoftLayer, StorageCraft, Dropbox etc. - The Think... - October 27th, 2020
- NetApp plays Spot the difference in cloud services build-out Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - October 27th, 2020
- Private Cloud Storage Market Analysis, Growth Forecast Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 27th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market Growth, Demand And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Players, Types, Application and Forecast... - October 27th, 2020
- Tag: Cloud Storage - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Object Storage Market Analysis 2020-2027: by Key Manufacturers with Countries, Types, Application and Forecast Till 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market (2020 to 2025) | Growing Application in Industry, Presents Opportunities and Demand Analysis, Growth, Size and Share -... - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2023 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Integrated With Facebook as Photo and Video Transfer Destination - PRNewswire - October 24th, 2020
- Enterprise Data Cloud Storage Software Market is projected to grow at High CAGR during the forecast period, 2026 | MailChimp, Constant Contact,... - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Industry Market 2020: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- 5 top tips for businesses in data backup and recovery - Tom's Guide - October 24th, 2020
- Unified file and object storage: The best of both worlds? - ComputerWeekly.com - October 24th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage market will continue to boom says analyst - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- Veeam Enhances Offerings To Be A 'Perfect' Fit For MSPs - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market Globally Expected to Drive Growth through 2026 - KYT24 - October 24th, 2020
- BTFS is Poised to Disrupt the Cloud Storage Industry? - ihodl.com - October 15th, 2020
- Reducing cloud storage costs: what you need to know - ITProPortal - October 15th, 2020
- Save an extra 20% on VPNs, password managers, and cloud storage - Mashable - October 15th, 2020
- Cohesity hooks up with AWS to pipe data management-as-a-service at users, starting with backup - Blocks and Files - October 15th, 2020
- The Best Backup and Restore Courses and Online Training for 2020 - Solutions Review - October 15th, 2020
- NetApp Insight 2020 conference news and coverage - TechTarget - October 15th, 2020
- iPad productivity tips: Keyboard tricks, shortcuts, and more - Fast Company - October 15th, 2020
- Cloud At The Edge, GPU Storage And LTO Gen 9 - Forbes - September 25th, 2020
- Zoom is being sued over its cloud storage practices - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Microsofts storage dream: a hard disk drive the size of a wardrobe with Samsung Galaxy S20 parts - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- How to Access S3 Buckets from Windows or Linux - ITPro Today - September 25th, 2020
- There is a hole in my cloud bucket - Fudzilla - September 25th, 2020
- Red Hat shifts automated data pipeline into OpenShift Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Seagate gets into object storage with new CORTX software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Kioxia's Ethernet SSD stirs into EBOF life as architects dream - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Ceph scales to 10 billion objects Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Google accused of using its online dominance to hold back competitors; to face antitrust lawsuit: Report - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- Synology DiskStation can keep your digital life organized and safe - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2020
- Looking for a job? The Library is here to help! | Globe Times - swglobetimes.com - September 25th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Market is Projected to Increment at an Eye-Catching CAGR by 2023 | 21.2% CAGR | Know the COVID19 Impact - Verdant News - September 25th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Platform Market: Demand Rate with Regional Outlook, Applications, Consumer Profiles & Forecast 2026 - The Daily... - September 25th, 2020
- This tiny CPU firm could play a key role in the future of Apple One - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Could Snowflake Rival Amazon in Cloud Storage and Services? Here's What You Need to Know About the New So - Tech Times - September 15th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing Can Deal With Lightning Strikes and Hackers - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - September 15th, 2020
- How to approach IT logging in the cloud vs. on premises - TechTarget - September 15th, 2020
- This lifetime web hosting subscription comes with up to 1TB of storage - Mashable - September 15th, 2020
- Keep It in the Cloud! Best Cloud Storage Systems of 2020 - iDrop News - September 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cloud Storage Software Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Amazon Web Services, Microsoft,... - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook adds cloud storage providers Dropbox and Koofr to its photo and video portability tool - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud storages you need to know - The Star, Kenya - September 6th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Impacting the Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market by Industry Analysis, by Type, Application and Top Players:Apple, Google, Box,... - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market to Witness Stunning Growth by 2027; Key Players are Riverbed Technology, SoftNAS, Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Nasuni... - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving a Cloud Computing Surge That Will Only Continue | Opinion - Newsweek - September 6th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Personal Cloud Market Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2019-2026) _ Hosted Types, Revenues, User Type, and Geography. - Galus... - September 6th, 2020
- Amazon's Blink Unveils New Wireless Security Cameras with HD Video, Flexible Storage Options, and New Battery Expansion Pack Cameras Start at $79.99... - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market Will Raise Beyond Imagination over Period 2025 | Microsoft, Oracle, Rackspace Hosting, Red Hat, IBM - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Current Industry Size and Future Prospective with Key Players, Drivers and Trends - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- Media And Entertainment Storage TAM To Exceed $16B By 2025 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Why not open our own Container Registry, muses GitHub as it gives orgs a hand at resource-sharing DEVCLASS - DevClass - September 2nd, 2020
- Data breach exposes tens of thousands of NSW drivers licences online - ABC News - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Key Takeaways From NetApp CEO George Kurian: Cloud, Coronavirus And Growth - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - September 2nd, 2020
- Responding to Cloud Misconfigurations with Security Automation and Common-Sense Tips - Security Boulevard - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Prepare for the Next Time the Cloud Goes Down - Gizmodo - September 2nd, 2020
- Demand for Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market from Major End-use Sectors to Increase in the Near Future - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Prevent the storage and data security risks of remote work - TechTarget - August 29th, 2020
- Samsung kills Gallery Sync and Drive support in favor of OneDrive - Android Central - August 29th, 2020
- 4 great Android apps to edit the perfect photo - Phandroid - News for Android - August 29th, 2020
- Google Cloud and STS to Automate US Navy Maintenance Inspections Using AI and ML Technology - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- New innovative report on Cloud Storage Gateway Market Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand and Opportunities to 2027 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Storage Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 29th, 2020
- In quest to go paperless (and save money), Mizuho to start charging for bank books - Japan Today - August 29th, 2020
- NetApp posts strong Q1, plots big re-organisation Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - August 29th, 2020
- The Handiest Video Doorbells to Remotely Test Who's At your Doorstep - Herald Planet - August 29th, 2020
- Explore the best free cloud backup services on the market - TechTarget - August 26th, 2020
- Integrated Media Technologies Joins the Active Archive Alliance - Sports Video Group - August 26th, 2020
- Storj Labs and FileZilla Collaborate to Offer Secure File Storage in the Remote Work Era - Database Trends and Applications - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Compliance Frameworks: What You Need to Know - Security Boulevard - August 26th, 2020
- Reevert Unveils Advanced Tools to Enhance Network Security and Efficiency for Remote Workforces - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Enhancing Network Visibility for SD-WAN in the Era of Cloud and SaaS - The Fast Mode - August 26th, 2020
- Where to Back Up Your Smartphone Photos Online (and Why You Should) - Lifehacker - August 24th, 2020
- NordLocker encryption heads to the cloud - IT PRO - August 24th, 2020
- What Is the OneDrive File Size Limit? Microsoft's 2020 Updates - Cloudwards - August 24th, 2020
- A Security Flaw In 'Manage Versions' Feature Of Google Drive Could Allow Malware Attackers Trick Victims Into Installing Rogue Code - Digital... - August 24th, 2020