Free cloud storage has really taken off thanks to fast, reliable internet connections. The appeal is understandable: you can store your files online and then access them from any device that's connected to the internet, including desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
You can also back up important files to a remote location (essential in case your own hardware is damaged or stolen), and share files with friends, family and colleagues by simply sending them a link.
The only problem is choice. There are so many free cloud storage services to choose from, it can be hard to decide which is right for you.
Size isn't everything, so as well as capacity, we've also considered the security offered by each service, multi-platform support, ease of use, and any limitations on file size or bandwidth. On with the evaluation...
Heavyweight cloud storage offering tied in with G suite apps
15GB of space for free
G Suite tools
Backup and Sync desktop app
Free storage allowance: 15GB (expandable)
If you're a Google user, you already benefit from Google Drive integration, such as the ability to save email attachments from Gmail. However, anyone can sign up for the free cloud storage, even if they don't have a Gmail address, by creating a new Google account. Google is also in a process of releasing Google One as a sort of substitution for Google Drive, although depending on your region it might not be available yet.
With 15GB of space for new users, Google Drive is one of the more generous cloud offerings, and there are occasional ways to boost this capacity free of charge. The catch is that this Google storage space is also shared with a users other Google services including Gmail and Google Photos.
Mobile apps are available to allow easy access for iOS and Android users, and Googles Backup and Sync desktop app lets you synchronize files from your PC to the cloud. Google Drive also includes online office tools for word processing, spreadsheets and presentations which can makes sharing files with others effortless.
A smart service with a slick online interface
Easy-to-use sharing options
Smart desktop and mobile apps
Plenty of options to boost your free storage
Free storage allowance: 10GB (expandable)
You might not recognize the name, but if you're looking for a decent chunk of cloud storage free of charge, pCloud could be just the ticket. To kick things off, you're given a fairly generous 10GB to play with, and there's a bandwidth allowance of 50GB of downlink traffic per month.
While we're primarily interested in the free version of pCloud, note that you can upgrade to 500GB of space for a monthly plan of $4.99 (3.70), or 2TB for $9.99 (7.50) a month both of which are great deals for storage. You also have annual and lifetime plans, which are a cheaper option in the long run.
The initial 10GB free offering can also be expanded up to 20GB via an additional 4GB for completion of offers, as well as referrals that add 1GB each. Its also worth noting that pCloud offers well-designed desktop and mobile apps that supplement the website for seamless integration into a users workflow.
With no limit on file sizes, and simple sharing options, pCloud is a great way to send large files to friends and colleagues it's even possible to share with people who aren't using the service themselves. Add in decent streaming options and a neat online interface, and pCloud is well worth a look.
Another sterling storage solution, particularly for Windows users
Great integration with other Microsoft products
Can edit files online without downloading them
Only 5GB of storage by default
Free storage allowance: 5GB
Coming from Microsoft a company with plenty of money to throw at the cloud it's a little disappointing to find thatOneDrivedoesnt include more space free of charge. Free users get a mere 5GB of storage, although it's relatively inexpensive to increase this to 50GB.
If you have Office 365, you'll automatically get boosted to 1TB of space, but not everyone wants an Office subscription.
Like Google Drive's appeal to Google users, OneDrive will be a good fit for anyone who is committed to using Microsoft's services. There's neat integration with Outlook.com, for instance. OneDrive also ties in nicely with Windows 10, and there is a selection of reasonable mobile apps to facilitate access on the move.
It's possible to share files with other people even if they aren't OneDrive users (complete with customizable permissions), and the ability to edit files online without downloading them is a welcome touch.
Another big name with some great support for third-party apps
Raft of platforms supported
Loads of nifty features
Only 2GB storage space initially
Free storage allowance: 2GB (expandable)
Dropbox is a stalwart of the free cloud storage world, with a web interface that remains streamlined and easy-to-use.
Despite its popularity, Dropbox actually has one of the least generous free packages for new users (just 2GB), but there are various ways to boost this space without paying, including inviting friends to join (you get 500MB per referral up to 16GB), completing the Getting Started guide (250MB) and contributing to the Dropbox forum (which elicits 1GB per 'Mighty Answer' provided).
DropBox really comes into its own when you start delving into the services extra features. There's a great collaborative working tool called Dropbox Paper that acts as a group workspace, and if you install the desktop app you can back up photos automatically. The File Requests feature also allows you to request another user to upload a file to your Dropbox account.
There are desktop apps for Windows, Mac and Linux, and mobile apps including Android, iOS and even Kindle. This gives Dropbox broad appeal, as does the support for third-party apps and services.
The web version of Dropbox lets you edit files without needing to download them, and really the only thing that counts against the cloud storage service is that most alternatives offer more space to free users.
A highly experienced cloud storage operator
Can boost free storage to 50GB
Impressive UI and sharing options
Adverts with free accounts
Free storage allowance: 10GB (expandable)
MediaFire has been around for over a decade, and those years of experience really show. You're given 10GB of free space initially, but you can boost this by an extra 40GB through activities like referring friends and following MediaFire's social media accounts. Few people would disagree that 50GB of free cloud storage is impressive. Free accounts carry ads, but this is a small sacrifice to make.
There's support for large files up to 4GB, and the sharing options are very impressive, even allowing sharing with non-users.
The web-based interface is excellent too, and MediaFire offers mobile apps for convenient uploading and downloading on iOS and Android. These make it easy to access files you're storing in the cloud, and include convenient features such as automatic photo syncing.
Read the original post:
The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar
- Storage steps into the intelligent era as AWS expands its storage portfolio - SiliconANGLE - December 8th, 2019
- 7 Tech CEOs Share Marketing Trends And Predictions For 2020 - Forbes - December 8th, 2019
- 3 Things to Watch in the Stock Market This Week - Nasdaq - December 8th, 2019
- Best drawing and painting software of 2020 - Techradar - December 8th, 2019
- Sky TV and Netflix get a new rival: new streaming service revealed and it's FREE to watch - Express - December 8th, 2019
- Save over 90% on ultra-secure 2TB cloud storage with 256-bit AES encryption - PocketNow - December 7th, 2019
- Will Box Start Growing Now That It's Solved the Security Part of the Cloud Puzzle? - Motley Fool - December 7th, 2019
- Know How Cloud Storage Software Market is Trending in Key Regions to Reach at Next Level in Coming Years? - The Market Expedition - December 7th, 2019
- You Can Have Collaborative Software Thats Wary of the Cloud - WIRED - December 7th, 2019
- Pure Storage CEO Giancarlo Talks Cloud, Exec Changes, And Having '56 Billion More Dollars Than Dell' - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The... - December 7th, 2019
- AT&T, Verizon Subscribers Exposed as Mobile Bills Turn Up on the Open Web - Threatpost - December 7th, 2019
- Multi Cloud Storage Market 2019: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Brand Strategy, Key Companies, Social, Technology and Forecast Till 2024 - The... - December 7th, 2019
- Secure, intelligent file transfer in a hybrid cloud/multi-cloud world is more important than ever before [sponsored] - RedShark News - December 7th, 2019
- AWS Outposts: You can have any hybrid cloud you want...as long as it is Amazon - Blocks and Files - December 7th, 2019
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - OracleAlpha - December 7th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Software Market Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - OracleAlpha - December 7th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Statsflash - December 7th, 2019
- What Happened at AWS re:Invent 19? - UC Today - December 7th, 2019
- How to Backup an iPhone to an External Hard Drive in 2019 - Cloudwards - December 2nd, 2019
- Carphone Warehouse Cyber Monday 2019 deals: today's best offers on mobile phone contracts and pay as you go - Telegraph.co.uk - December 2nd, 2019
- These cloud storage plans are all on sale this Black Friday - ITworld - December 1st, 2019
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market with Worldwide Opportunities, Share, Growth, Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2023... - December 1st, 2019
- This Cyber Monday deal on a lifetime of cloud backup will save you thousands - Mashable - December 1st, 2019
- Programming from the Cloud now available | Local News - Tullahoma News and Guardian - December 1st, 2019
- Black Friday gets you tech devices here's how to save on apps - NBC News - December 1st, 2019
- 20 years ago: Napster vs CuteMX, movie industry gets its own boogieman: DeCSS - AfterDawn - December 1st, 2019
- Blockchain for Science: Revolutionary Opportunities and Potential Problems - RTInsights - December 1st, 2019
- Best mobile phone deals in the Black Friday 2019 sale, from Apple iPhones to Samsung smartphones - Telegraph.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- 9to5Google Gift Guide: Best gifts for the mobile photographer - 9to5Google - December 1st, 2019
- 26 suppliers pinned to the File Storage Map. Who is in front? - Blocks and Files - December 1st, 2019
- Moving to the cloud are you doing it right? - TechRadar - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud Solutions: Four Key Areas of Focus - Security Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Cohesity Unveils New Solutions to Protect Cloud Databases and Enhance Data Archiving at AWS re:Invent in Las Vegas - Business Wire - November 26th, 2019
- Wyze says it will 'temporarily' yank people detection from its security cameras in January - TechHive - November 26th, 2019
- Dell and NetApp price competition puts a crimp in Pure Storage revenue growth - Blocks and Files - November 26th, 2019
- Why thousands of IT contractors face 'life-changing' tax bills - ComputerWeekly.com - November 26th, 2019
- Incisive Evaluation of Cloud Storage Gateway Market Explore How Industry Will Grow in Future by 2025 | NetApp,Agosto,Nasuni - Finance Daily Tribune - November 25th, 2019
- Sunday Deals: Save 89% on the Polar Backup Cloud Storage - Geeky Gadgets - November 25th, 2019
- 10 Most Interesting Announcements From Kubecon + CloudNativeCon 2019 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian's 9 Boldest Statements At Next '19 UK - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- Why Has Western Digitals Hard Drive Revenue Dropped 35% Over The Past 5 Years, Despite 50% Growth In Exabytes Shipped? - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- 20 Minutes With Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian At Next '19 UK - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- Digital clutter's messing with your mind here are 5 ways to 'KonMari' it - CNA - November 25th, 2019
- Microsoft 365 Suffers Outage For Several Hours - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2019 [Updated ... - May 31st, 2019
- What is cloud storage? | IBM Cloud - May 1st, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage and What Are Its Advantages? - April 12th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage? - Lifewire - April 1st, 2019
- Cloud Storage Providers - SourceForge - March 11th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2019 - March 8th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage for 2019 | Reviews.com - March 7th, 2019
- Best Cloud Storage Reviews 2019 | 31 Best Services Compared - February 25th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- Cloud Storage on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018 - August 13th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: AWS, Azure, Google, and B2 - October 18th, 2017
- 18 free cloud storage options | Network World - September 19th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Chicago - CBS Chicago - September 7th, 2017
- How Secure Is Cloud-Based Data Storage? - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Detroit - September 7th, 2017
- Deals: A Lifetime Of 2TB Cloud Storage For 90% Off - Gizmodo Australia - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft Azure: 8 Ways to Save on Cloud Storage - Enterprise Storage Forum - September 2nd, 2017
- There's a lot more to the Cloud than storage these days and competition is getting crowded - Financial Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Cloud storage provider Box's revenue rises as growth slows - Reuters - August 31st, 2017