In September, Box CEO Aaron Levie just barely won a tough board fight against the activist investor Starboard, which sought to replace several members of the cloud storage company's board with its own slate. Its chief complaint: Box's annual growth rate of 11% on $770.8 million in 2021 just isn't enough.
Not quite as dramatically but no less significantly companies like Zoom , Autodesk, and DocuSign also recently suffered the consequences of disappointing Wall Street. Each gave investors lowered guidance reflecting the reality that the slow return to the office meant the pandemic-driven boom in their respective businesses was likely over. Each saw their stock take a major dip.
Industry insiders see it all as a sign that even the hottest cloud software companies are suffering from a case of heightened expectations: After almost every major cloud company saw huge growth, much of Wall Street now seems to believe that even good, dependable revenue expansion isn't good enough.
"The cloud ecosystem has gotten a big tailwind from decentralized workforces and the work-from-home mandates," said Byron Deeter, a partner at Bessemer Venture Partners and a longtime investor in the cloud space. "And so what used to be considered acceptable growth is now being pushed out. And I think that is adding pressure on some of the slower-growing public cloud companies to perform even more."
Meanwhile, the titans of the cloud industry Microsoft, Amazon Web Services, and Salesforce have only gotten stronger over the past two years and show no signs of giving up ground in the market. That's made it increasingly hard for smaller software companies to compete.
This dynamic is pushing software companies like Zoom and others to find new ways to grow as the world returns to normal. Analysts say to expect further consolidation in the market as software companies that didn't grow massively during the pandemic or are showing signs of slowing down look for new options.
Zoom, for example, is focusing on its cloud phone business and telephony as what could be its next big market. (Its aborted $14.7 billion deal to buy Five9 would have marked a big push into the contact-center business.) Box launched an e-signature product to compete with DocuSign, while the 32-year-old firm Citrix bought the task-management startup Wrike in a productivity push.
The stakes are high for those companies, analysts say, with growth often depending on how well it navigates expansion beyond the core business. Those that can't nail it often face the end of their existence as an independent company.
"Best-of-breed companies either become multiproduct companies, and they can continue their organic or inorganic kind of standalone growth, or the thing that they do, they tap out, and they don't really know how to do the other stuff, and so then they get acquired," said Alex Zukin, an analyst at Wolfe Research.
While software is more important than ever to keep a business running, companies are looking to reduce the amount of software they buy, RBC analysts said in a recent note to clients. That, in turn, is leading them to spend with larger platforms, like Salesforce, Microsoft, or AWS, that bundle many products into subscription suites, the analysts wrote.
That puts even more pressure on independent software companies. Slack , the workplace chat app, spent the early days of the pandemic facing investor scrutiny about its ability to compete with Microsoft Teams in a remote-first world. Ultimately, Salesforce acquired Slack for $27.7 billion.
Experts say that getting snapped up isn't always a bad thing; it helps the larger players "inject modernity" into their business, Zukin said, while giving the acquired company access to the sales and marketing resources they need to stand a better chance of competing.
Ultimately, however, the experts agreed that in this environment of heightened expectations, the only way for a software company to ensure survival or at least independence is to become "mission critical," literally irreplaceable to customers, including by expanding their product lineup.
"So it is increasingly important that software companies have the ability to become a larger platform," RBC analysts said in a note earlier this year. "Otherwise they risk being unable to gain meaningful traction beyond a certain threshold."
Do you have insight to share? Contact this reporter via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or Signal at 925-364-4258. (PR pitches by email only, please.)
- Free Cloud Storage Backup for Photos & Videos - Blomp - December 3rd, 2021
- APIs & reference | Cloud Storage | Google Cloud - December 3rd, 2021
- Astrato Champions the Next Generation of Cloud BI - MarTech Series - December 3rd, 2021
- Tap Into the Disruption-Ready Cloud Storage Market With Backblaze - Investorplace.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Data Storage Market to Escalate Swiftly; Adoption of Big Data Analytics and AI to Amplify Revenue, states Fortune Business Insights - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- Five worthy reads: HIPAA compliance in the age of cybersecurity - Security Boulevard - December 3rd, 2021
- The Boston Globe Names Wasabi Technologies a Top Place to Work for 2021 - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- Microsoft Targets Small Businesses With New 'Teams Essentials' Standalone Edition - CRN - December 3rd, 2021
- Remarkable users have to accept new terms to get a free subscription - Good e-Reader - December 3rd, 2021
- 22dot6 adds extra cloudiness to its Valence software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - November 28th, 2021
- What is the smart city, and why is cloud storage key? - TechRadar - November 28th, 2021
- What were most thankful for in tech, science, business, and innovation - GeekWire - November 28th, 2021
- Google: Half of compromised cloud instances have weak or no passwords - ZDNet - November 28th, 2021
- Top 8 Ways to fix Unfortunately File Manager Has Stopped on Android - Guiding Tech - November 28th, 2021
- Worldwide Electronic Medical Records Industry to 2026 - Initiatives by the Governments are Driving Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - November 28th, 2021
- What is Cloud Storage | IBM - November 22nd, 2021
- iCloud vs pCloud: Which is the best cloud storage service? - Macworld UK - November 22nd, 2021
- Media And Entertainment Digital Storage Growth Swells With Increased Cloud And Remote Services - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Veeam reveals cloud storage use patterns: Azure and AWS for bulk, IBM has ardent fans, Google has not much - The Register - November 22nd, 2021
- Alexander: Making sure that deleted Android phone pictures are really gone - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 22nd, 2021
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market expected to contribute to the growth of the segment over the forecast period 2021-2027 The UK Directory - The UK... - November 22nd, 2021
- Cloud repatriation: Five reasons to repatriate data from cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - November 22nd, 2021
- JetStream's Azure-native DR finally takes off - TechTarget - November 22nd, 2021
- Cloud Storage for Firebase | Firebase Documentation - November 15th, 2021
- Apples Business Essentials subscriptions target small businesses that only use Apple - The Verge - November 15th, 2021
- Cloud Storage Startup Backblaze IPOs on Little VC and Revenue - Business Insider - November 15th, 2021
- StrongBox Data Names Andrew Hall as CEO - HPCwire - November 15th, 2021
- Looking beyond Bitcoin and Ethereum Heres a list of top 15 altcoins you should keep an eye on - Business Insider India - November 15th, 2021
- Global Storage achieves Australian first with VMWare disaster recovery as-a-service certification - iTWire - November 15th, 2021
- 15 Best FREE Cloud Storage & Unlimited Online Drive Space - October 24th, 2021
- What Is iCloud Drive On iPhone? iCloud Drive vs iCloud Explained - The Android Soul - October 24th, 2021
- Samsung Users Alert! Samsung will close their cloud services soon: Here`s how to save your data - Zee News - October 24th, 2021
- Veritas Simplifies Data Backup to the Cloud While Helping Reduce Costs and Increase Ransomware Resiliency - Business Wire - October 24th, 2021
- Storange Cloud Promotes the Worldwide IPFS Industry - The Kingston Whig-Standard - October 24th, 2021
- The 7 Best monday.com Alternatives in 2021 [Paid & Free] - Cloudwards - October 24th, 2021
- WhatsApp Chat Backup: How to Backup WhatsApp Messages on Android Mobile and iPhone - MySmartPrice - October 24th, 2021
- IBM has flat revenue third quarter with a bright spot in gasp storage Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - October 24th, 2021
- WhatsApp chats leaking so Bollywood superstars are trying to get phones wiped, but is it possible? - India Today - October 24th, 2021
- Cloudflare Challenges AWS with R2 Storage and No Egress Fees - InfoQ.com - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp Working On A Feature To Allow Users Better Manage Their Cloud Storage - Mashable India - October 17th, 2021
- How to change the date and time of a photo in Google Photos - Android Central - October 17th, 2021
- MadHive Deal Gives Google A Leg Up In The Cloud Wars - Forbes - October 17th, 2021
- Teen arrested after national organization finds explicit photos, videos involving minors - FOX13 Memphis - October 17th, 2021
- To the stars: NetApp bringing cloud-native Astra Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - October 17th, 2021
- Global Cloud Storage Market Share, Size, Global Development ,Growth Status, Sales Revenue, Emerging Technologies, Key Players Analysis, Opportunity... - October 17th, 2021
- IBM sprays storage improvements across its Spectrums Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - October 17th, 2021
- Picture this: rights and uses of images in the #hashtag era - Theadanews - October 17th, 2021
- How to enable the iOS-style Google Photos memory widget on Android - Android Central - October 17th, 2021
- Top 20 Best Free Cloud Storage Services | 2021 - oTechWorld - September 15th, 2021
- 5 Things to Consider When Choosing the Right Cloud Storage - September 15th, 2021
- Internet sites come and go, but what about your login information? - The B.C. Catholic - September 15th, 2021
- Okay, Your Data Is in The Cloud. Now What? - RTInsights - September 15th, 2021
- NetApp : The right data, on the right cloud, at the right time - Marketscreener.com - September 15th, 2021
- Cyberpion Reveals A Quarter of Fortune 500 Companies Have Exploitable Vulnerabilities in their External IT Network - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2021
- More than half of businesses have turned to the cloud for backup needs - ITProPortal - September 15th, 2021
- Cloud Storage Pricing and Plans Microsoft OneDrive - September 11th, 2021
- Five things you need to know about cloud file services - ComputerWeekly.com - September 11th, 2021
- Mixed (Hybrid) Cloud Storage Solution Market Size, Share, Statistics, Trends, Types, Applications, Analysis and Forecast, Global Industry Research... - September 11th, 2021
- WhatsApp will finally let users encrypt their chat backups in the cloud - TechCrunch - September 11th, 2021
- Microsoft: We've fixed Azure container flaw that could have leaked data - ZDNet - September 11th, 2021
- The need for speed: Amazon uses SAN in the cloud to expedite users' cloud migration process - SiliconANGLE News - September 11th, 2021
- AWS execs speak on the top priorities for on-prem to cloud migration - SiliconANGLE News - September 11th, 2021
- Cloud is the 'new normal' as businesses boost resiliency and agility beyond COVID - SiliconANGLE News - September 11th, 2021
- Microsoft teases new super simple OneDrive interface - TechRadar - September 11th, 2021
- Italy says bids for national cloud hub expected this month - iTnews - September 11th, 2021
- Pure Storage tantalises with reinvention possibilities Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 11th, 2021
- Broadcom server-storage connectivity sales down but recovery coming Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 11th, 2021
- "Rockset is on a mission to deliver fast and flexible real-time analytics" - JAXenter - September 11th, 2021
- Lessons Learned: Training and Deploying State of the Art Transformer Models at Digits - insideBIGDATA - September 11th, 2021
- Save big on this decentralized cloud storage system | TheHill - The Hill - September 3rd, 2021
- Backblaze teams up with Vultr for new cloud storage competitor to Amazon, Google, and Microsoft - 9to5Mac - September 3rd, 2021
- AWS, NetApp unveil the first fully-managed ONTAP file system in the cloud - ZDNet - September 3rd, 2021
- Microsoft Teams: Here are the features added in the past month - ZDNet - September 3rd, 2021
- HUAWEI AppGallery Connect Serverless Services Officially Released to Achieve Easy App Development and O&M - PRNewswire - September 3rd, 2021
- Public cloud hits the spot for NetApp's Q122 results Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 3rd, 2021
- Quobyte: AI supports sustainable logging - saving owls' trees from the axe Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 3rd, 2021
- Wasabi Technologies Now on Carahsoft NASPO, SEWP V, and Additional Government Contracts - PRNewswire - September 3rd, 2021
- Power users of Microsoft OneDrive suffer massive inconvenience: Read-only files - The Register - September 3rd, 2021
- VAST picks up another $10M-plus customer: a US car-maker Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 3rd, 2021
- Western Digital unveils 20TB OptiNAND hard drive, pledges 50TB to follow - The Register - September 3rd, 2021