Cloud storage was once primarily thought of as a place to keep data online securely or to host a website, but tech giants increasingly want their customers to think about what can be done with the data once its put there and, of course, to pay for services that manipulate it.
Large corporations have traditionally used servers to store big quantities of data that can then be analyzed for trends or to predict results. Now the cloud is also hosting analytic programs that smaller organizations can use to get much-needed results.
For example, a car insurance company could do instant on-site assessments: agents upload photos of an accidents damage through an app to the cloud where machine learning and artificial intelligence analyze them and quickly send back a quote. That eliminates the need to return to the office where it could take hours or days to do an assessment.
Or perhaps a small medical office in a remote community wants to do a screening for diabetic retinopathy by uploading a photo of the patients eye to a cloud-based machine-learning platform. The doctor would get instant results instead of sending a patient away to a larger city for a proper diagnosis.
The demand for such applications and others that save time and bring in more revenue is growing and the tech giants want a piece of the action.
Cloud is the great equalizer. It allows very small organizations to compete with very big organizations, said Jim Lambe, Google Clouds country manager for Canada. Historically, the big organizations beat up on the small ones, but now it is the quicker organizations that are going to beat up on the slower ones.
The worldwide public cloud services market is expected to grow by 18 per cent in 2017 to US$246.8 billion, according to a report earlier this year by research company Gartner. By 2020, cloud adoption strategies are expected to influence more than 50 per cent of IT outsourcing deals.
Google has long harnessed the cloud for its own web-based services such as Gmail, YouTube and Google Docs, but the tech giant decided to double down on the space after seeing the number of other companies that want their own cloud platforms to quickly grow.
Google said it considers itself one of the few which can properly lead the space given the high upfront cost for new entrants to develop the infrastructure, such as large data centres, needed to provide cloud storage.
If you are not already an incumbent with the DNA to do this, you cant really enter this market because you have lost the last 15 years, said Brian Stevens, chief technical officer of Google Cloud, in an interview during a recent visit to the companys Toronto office.
The size of the opportunity is well understood to be massive and Google believes this is going to be one of the biggest businesses, if not the biggest business, inside of Google sometime in the future. We feel like we are really set up for it.
Its not just Google that offers the cloud for both storage and data analysis. Other major players have existed in the space for just as long, if not longer. So far they have more market share, too.
Amazon.com Inc. helped pioneer cloud-based storage platforms by creating Amazon Web Services back in 2006. Microsoft Corp.s Azure debuted in 2010 and Google Cloud Platform came along in 2011 to round out the heavyweights, but others such as IBM and speciality companies like Box Inc. have been offering cloud storage solutions as well.
Amazon, Microsoft and Google in particular emphasize their computational and large-scale advantages rather than just their ability to securely host files.
Amazon is still the juggernaut with 40-per-cent market share as of February 2017, according to Synergy Research Group, but Microsoft is growing at twice the pace.
Google is also ramping up its efforts, opening data centres in new international markets such as Canada, something Amazon and Microsoft were already doing (the latter still leads the way with a presence in 42 announced regions).
Cloud is really driving the data centre expansion strategy for Google, Stevens said. Typically, there is a longer cycle for bringing up a new data centre, but now with cloud and, for example, places like Montreal, we are bringing up new data centres in under a year, which is pretty fast paced.
In addition to opening data centres within Canada which allows companies to keep sensitive information from leaving the country, important for regulated sectors such as banking and health care Googles myriad cloud initiatives have Canadian ties.
The tech giants Waterloo, Ont., office of about 500 has long been responsible for helping with web-based services such as Gmail, so the company has been looking north of the border for expertise as it focuses more on its Google Cloud offerings.
We have teams working here on a number of different efforts within cloud that contribute to the way that the Google Cloud platform will be successful for all of the different services around the world, said Derek Phillips, an engineering director at Googles Waterloo office and an 11-year employee with the company.
The Waterloo office is a big contributor to the success of cloud and this is a really good place for us to be as we have really been looking for other ways to make a big contribution to Google, Canada and the world.
Googles Montreal office also has engineers who work on cloud-related products (and others), but Waterloos advantage is its proximity to the University of Waterloo, one of the tech giants top schools for recruitment.
Canada is well positioned as a big contributor in this space. People have heard a lot about the cloud and they dont really know exactly what it means, Phillips said. There is a lot of ways Canada can contribute here and one way is on the engineering side and being involved in what is developed, how these things come together and how it serves customers all around the world.
The battle in the cloud is still in its early stages, but it is already fierce. Companies such as Google and Microsoft are playing catch-up with Amazon, but say their platforms have more appeal because they are companies known for their machine learning, artificial intelligence and algorithms. Amazon, though the market-share leader, isnt necessarily the first company that comes to mind for big data analysis.
Google also releases the source code to some of its cloud platforms for others to see, use and build upon, hoping to create a better end product and be recognized as a company that cares about the space, even if that means people take the code to a competitors service.
The company said it is important to be welcomed in the open-source community first and then business will follow.
We could have just said we have the best machine learning technology and you can only use it on Google Cloud. Instead we said no, we are going to open it up, Stevens said, adding that the response has been positive.
That gets you to a place where it has long-term sustainable impact for the end user and for us.
- Storage steps into the intelligent era as AWS expands its storage portfolio - SiliconANGLE - December 8th, 2019
- 7 Tech CEOs Share Marketing Trends And Predictions For 2020 - Forbes - December 8th, 2019
- 3 Things to Watch in the Stock Market This Week - Nasdaq - December 8th, 2019
- Best drawing and painting software of 2020 - Techradar - December 8th, 2019
- Sky TV and Netflix get a new rival: new streaming service revealed and it's FREE to watch - Express - December 8th, 2019
- Save over 90% on ultra-secure 2TB cloud storage with 256-bit AES encryption - PocketNow - December 7th, 2019
- Will Box Start Growing Now That It's Solved the Security Part of the Cloud Puzzle? - Motley Fool - December 7th, 2019
- Know How Cloud Storage Software Market is Trending in Key Regions to Reach at Next Level in Coming Years? - The Market Expedition - December 7th, 2019
- You Can Have Collaborative Software Thats Wary of the Cloud - WIRED - December 7th, 2019
- Pure Storage CEO Giancarlo Talks Cloud, Exec Changes, And Having '56 Billion More Dollars Than Dell' - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The... - December 7th, 2019
- AT&T, Verizon Subscribers Exposed as Mobile Bills Turn Up on the Open Web - Threatpost - December 7th, 2019
- Multi Cloud Storage Market 2019: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Brand Strategy, Key Companies, Social, Technology and Forecast Till 2024 - The... - December 7th, 2019
- Secure, intelligent file transfer in a hybrid cloud/multi-cloud world is more important than ever before [sponsored] - RedShark News - December 7th, 2019
- AWS Outposts: You can have any hybrid cloud you want...as long as it is Amazon - Blocks and Files - December 7th, 2019
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - OracleAlpha - December 7th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Software Market Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - OracleAlpha - December 7th, 2019
- Cloud Storage Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Statsflash - December 7th, 2019
- What Happened at AWS re:Invent 19? - UC Today - December 7th, 2019
- How to Backup an iPhone to an External Hard Drive in 2019 - Cloudwards - December 2nd, 2019
- Carphone Warehouse Cyber Monday 2019 deals: today's best offers on mobile phone contracts and pay as you go - Telegraph.co.uk - December 2nd, 2019
- These cloud storage plans are all on sale this Black Friday - ITworld - December 1st, 2019
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market with Worldwide Opportunities, Share, Growth, Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2023... - December 1st, 2019
- This Cyber Monday deal on a lifetime of cloud backup will save you thousands - Mashable - December 1st, 2019
- Programming from the Cloud now available | Local News - Tullahoma News and Guardian - December 1st, 2019
- Black Friday gets you tech devices here's how to save on apps - NBC News - December 1st, 2019
- 20 years ago: Napster vs CuteMX, movie industry gets its own boogieman: DeCSS - AfterDawn - December 1st, 2019
- Blockchain for Science: Revolutionary Opportunities and Potential Problems - RTInsights - December 1st, 2019
- Best mobile phone deals in the Black Friday 2019 sale, from Apple iPhones to Samsung smartphones - Telegraph.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- 9to5Google Gift Guide: Best gifts for the mobile photographer - 9to5Google - December 1st, 2019
- 26 suppliers pinned to the File Storage Map. Who is in front? - Blocks and Files - December 1st, 2019
- Moving to the cloud are you doing it right? - TechRadar - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud Solutions: Four Key Areas of Focus - Security Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Cohesity Unveils New Solutions to Protect Cloud Databases and Enhance Data Archiving at AWS re:Invent in Las Vegas - Business Wire - November 26th, 2019
- Wyze says it will 'temporarily' yank people detection from its security cameras in January - TechHive - November 26th, 2019
- Dell and NetApp price competition puts a crimp in Pure Storage revenue growth - Blocks and Files - November 26th, 2019
- Why thousands of IT contractors face 'life-changing' tax bills - ComputerWeekly.com - November 26th, 2019
- Incisive Evaluation of Cloud Storage Gateway Market Explore How Industry Will Grow in Future by 2025 | NetApp,Agosto,Nasuni - Finance Daily Tribune - November 25th, 2019
- Sunday Deals: Save 89% on the Polar Backup Cloud Storage - Geeky Gadgets - November 25th, 2019
- 10 Most Interesting Announcements From Kubecon + CloudNativeCon 2019 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian's 9 Boldest Statements At Next '19 UK - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- Why Has Western Digitals Hard Drive Revenue Dropped 35% Over The Past 5 Years, Despite 50% Growth In Exabytes Shipped? - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- 20 Minutes With Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian At Next '19 UK - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- Digital clutter's messing with your mind here are 5 ways to 'KonMari' it - CNA - November 25th, 2019
- Microsoft 365 Suffers Outage For Several Hours - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 25th, 2019
- 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2019 [Updated ... - May 31st, 2019
- What is cloud storage? | IBM Cloud - May 1st, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage and What Are Its Advantages? - April 12th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage? - Lifewire - April 1st, 2019
- Cloud Storage Providers - SourceForge - March 11th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2019 - March 8th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage for 2019 | Reviews.com - March 7th, 2019
- Best Cloud Storage Reviews 2019 | 31 Best Services Compared - February 25th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- Cloud Storage on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar - October 8th, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018 - August 13th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: AWS, Azure, Google, and B2 - October 18th, 2017
- 18 free cloud storage options | Network World - September 19th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Chicago - CBS Chicago - September 7th, 2017
- How Secure Is Cloud-Based Data Storage? - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Detroit - September 7th, 2017
- Deals: A Lifetime Of 2TB Cloud Storage For 90% Off - Gizmodo Australia - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft Azure: 8 Ways to Save on Cloud Storage - Enterprise Storage Forum - September 2nd, 2017
- Cloud storage provider Box's revenue rises as growth slows - Reuters - August 31st, 2017