In most of the cases, a cloud storage cost analysis requires domain-specific expertise, otherwise, a company may overlook some small but significant circumstances
The size of the cloud computing market has increased threefold over the past five years, and it is predicted to go beyond $128 billion by 2019.
However, companies should make sure that the expenditures related to the migration to a cloud storage will not eat away the potential economy that this technology entails.
The careful analysis of these expenses will help answer a question that concerns many businesses: How much does a cloud storage cost?.
For readers, here is acloud migration checklist, which advises companies to rest when estimating the cost of moving from traditional on-premises repository.
>See also:Cloud storage is the new battleground in the cloud price war
Usually, it comprises both transparent costs that companies generally expect and hidden ones that may not become evident until contract signing.
For illustration purposes only, we will use the example of Amazons cloud storage pricing, as this public cloud provider does not conceal it.
The price for a cloud storage usually depends on a number of gigabytes that a company requires per month. Some providers, such as these of Amazon S3, Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure, use a sliding-scale approach to price formation, which means offering bigger storage volumes at downward costs. Also, some vendors provide redundant repositories at higher prices as compared with less redundant or archival ones; the latter are charged the least.
Amazon charges the first 50 terabytes at $0.023 per a gigabyte, while successive volumes are quoted cheaper at $0.022 and $0.021 per GB.
Transferring data out of the storage also entails expenses, while on the average, their moving into it is free. When charging for the bandwidth, many providers apply a sliding-scale pricing. As for AWS, the cost of one gigabyte of data that a company needs to send from within the repository starts with $0.010, while in some cases it is free.
>See also:Enterprise cloud storage: usage and trends
Despite the fact that these numbers seem reasonable if a company needs to send just a few gigabytes a month, transferring large data volumes will cost a bundle.
Depending on a vendor, various REST-based storage requests, a.k.a. transactions, can also be charged, such as:
Get Delete List Post Others
Amazon S3 is among vendors that include transactions into the cloud storage cost. The company estimates this item starting from $0.004 per 10,000 transactions, but the delete request is free. Rackspace Cloud Files, Nirvanix and services alike provide storage requests on a free-of-charge basis.
Companies that require native access to their information bear gateway-related costs. Depending on the demands, a company may opt for a providers gateway or its own one.
>See also:The year of the cloud: flexible, agile and scalable
Businesses that use a vendors gateway, should be ready for the expenses on the equipment and maintenance fees. While companies that choose to integrate their data via their own, specific one should take on the costs of the gateway custom development.
An important consideration, to which many businesses do not give due regard, is the retrieval or restoration of the corporate data. The transfer of large data volumes requires considerable bandwidth, which is why most vendors provide this service on a paid basis.
On top of all, this process does not come cheap. Depending on a service provider, it may vary from some hundred US dollars to a few thousands of them.
For example, Amazon provides data retrieval at the cost that significantly surpasses ordinary data transfer: at $0.05 per a gigabyte. So, the restoration of 100 terabytes of data will cost $5,000.
>See also:Cloud Storage articles and industry news for senior IT business leaders
In most of the cases, a cloud storage cost analysis requires domain-specific expertise, otherwise, a company may overlook some small but significant circumstances.
Down the line, they may make up a large sum and will drive up the total cost of the migration. That is why it is best to turn to a reliable service provider,as subject-matter experts will provide a thorough and correct calculation of anticipated costs.
Sourced by Stanislau Belachkin at Sam Solutions
The UKs largest conference fortechleadership,TechLeadersSummit, returns on 14 September with 40+ top execs signed up to speak about the challenges and opportunities surrounding the most disruptive innovations facing the enterprise today.Secure your place at this prestigious summit byregisteringhere
- Get 2TB of cloud storage and organization for less than $50 - Android Central - February 23rd, 2020
- Zoho reinvents its cloud storage with WorkDrive - GeekWire - February 23rd, 2020
- Cloud-enabled threats are on the rise, sensitive data is moving between cloud apps - Help Net Security - February 23rd, 2020
- A lifetime of learning from Whizlabs is just $60 right now - Android Central - February 23rd, 2020
- OneDrive for Android gains a dedicated dark theme in latest beta update - 9to5Google - February 23rd, 2020
- Netskope Releases February 2020 Netskope Cloud and Threat Report - Solutions Review - February 23rd, 2020
- This Wi-Fi Smart Doorbell Has an 180 Vertical Field of View - Gadget Flow - February 23rd, 2020
- TechTarget Storage Magazine and SearchStorage.com Select Hammerspace as a Storage Product of the Year for 2019 - GlobeNewswire - February 18th, 2020
- Top enterprise cloud storage systems win 2019 Products of the Year - TechTarget - February 18th, 2020
- #1501: How to deal with low cloud storage space, StopTheMadness fixes unfriendly Web sites, clean tech and more from CES 2020 - TidBITS - February 18th, 2020
- Talon Announces Strong Growth Driven By Industry Trend To Cloud Consolidation; Reports Record Sales in 2019 - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- List: The best ways to protect your pictures - WKYC.com - February 18th, 2020
- 8 Best Ways to Fix Google Drive Storage Full But No Files in It Issue - Guiding Tech - February 18th, 2020
- Public Cloud Storage Service Market Trends, Size, Share, Types, Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive landscape Forecast 2025 -... - February 18th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Forbes Road To The Cloud - Architecture, Security And The Refactor - Forbes - February 18th, 2020
- Psst. SANshine, fancy a bit of shared block storage on Azure? - The Register - February 18th, 2020
- Edge Computing Brings the Cloud to the Data - FedTech Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market Research: Aim To Achieve The Pinnacle In Qualitative Industry Research And Business Intelligence -... - February 18th, 2020
- Siacoin (SC) Siaskynet will be the only Big news on February 18, 2020, GoodBye YouTube - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 18th, 2020
- Microsoft ready to take on Google with this new app for Android users - Times of India - February 18th, 2020
- Cloud key to top 2019 data backup and disaster recovery products - TechTarget - February 18th, 2020
- Look for These 4 Chances to Save During IT Improvements - FedTech Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- More than software: SaaS is a relationship - NewscastStudio - February 17th, 2020
- Connect, share and store images and movies seamlessly with image.canon - Africanews English - February 17th, 2020
- Looking to Keep Data Analytics in Healthcare Affordable? The Answer is the Cloud - - HIT Consultant - February 17th, 2020
- The best free and open-source alternatives to Google Keep on Android - Android Police - February 17th, 2020
- Here's how Shree Cement uses IT to decrease TAT by 60% - ETCIO.com - February 17th, 2020
- Premarket stocks: Germany recession fears are back amid the coronavirus outbreak - CNN - February 17th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to Best and Affordable 5 Cloud Services 2020 - PhonesWiki - February 16th, 2020
- Reason 962 to Avoid Cloud Photo and Video Storage: Strangers May Be Able to See Your Stuff - Fstoppers - February 16th, 2020
- Cloud Is On The List - BroadcastProME.com - February 16th, 2020
- Xiaomi is offering a REALLY LONG Mi Cloud subscription plan that spans 60-YEARS - gizmochina - February 16th, 2020
- Google Drive: Lost your Android phone or WhatsApp backup? Here's where to find them - Express - February 16th, 2020
- BackBlaze reports unexpectedly high failure rate for one of Seagate's 12TB drives - Blocks and Files - February 16th, 2020
- Data Deduplication Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to2018 2026 - TechNews.mobi - February 16th, 2020
- Preparing IT teams against growing online security threats The Manila Times - The Manila Times - February 16th, 2020
- Fungible aims to slay the CPU bogeyman with composable microprocessor - Blocks and Files - February 16th, 2020
- HiveIO Adds Data Protection, BI, Cloud Storage to Its Intelligent Virtualization Solution - Integration Developers - February 12th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - News Parents - February 12th, 2020
- Catch Of The Week: Ransomware On The Rise - Los Alamos Daily Post - February 12th, 2020
- Office 365: 9 Baked-In Productivity Tools Built That Workers Are Using - CMSWire - February 12th, 2020
- Pester power! One big customer prompts Dell EMC PowerProtect systems to work with Actifio - Blocks and Files - February 12th, 2020
- Eight ways to stay safe online, Tech News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - February 12th, 2020
- Data protection must be boardroom priority - ITWeb - February 12th, 2020
- Facilis to debut version 8 of their shared storage system and version 3.5 of FastTracker MAM - Screen Africa - February 12th, 2020
- This cloud service will streamline your workflow and simplify your life - Mashable - February 10th, 2020
- We Need to Talk About Cloud Neutrality - WIRED - February 10th, 2020
- Why fast object storage is poised for the mainstream - Blocks and Files - February 10th, 2020
- Choosing the right disaster recovery for your business - ComputerWeekly.com - February 10th, 2020
- Understanding my new-found appreciation of Google Maps - IT PRO - February 10th, 2020
- Synology DS218play 2 Bay NAS Review Is it worth the extra 40+ over the TerraMaster F2-210? - Mighty Gadget - February 10th, 2020
- 7 Great ETFs to Buy for the Rise of 5G - Investorplace.com - February 10th, 2020
- Warren Mead of NS1 Recognized as 2020 CRN Channel Chief - Business Wire - February 10th, 2020
- How to Simplify Resource Management in Higher Education with Azure Tags - EdTech Magazine: Focus on Higher Education - February 1st, 2020
- Top 3 Ways to Fix OneDrive Connectivity Error Code 0x8004de40 in Windows 10 - Guiding Tech - February 1st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Size Overview by Rising Demands, Trends and Huge Business Opportunities 2020 to 2028 - VOICE of Wisconsin Rapids - February 1st, 2020
- 5 tips to clean up your Chromebook and keep it running fast - Chrome Unboxed - February 1st, 2020
- Getting the Most Out of Cloud Data Lakes - ITPro Today - January 31st, 2020
- Five signs that your business is ready to start migrating storage to the cloud - IOL - January 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage MARKET BOOMING BY SIZE, REVENUE, TREND AND TOP GROWING COMPANIES 2026 - Healthcare News - January 31st, 2020
- Kasten klimbs Kubernetes kontainer protection mountain with K10 - Blocks and Files - January 31st, 2020
- Google is taking another stab at a messaging service, and this one could work - Chrome Unboxed - January 31st, 2020
- Ten of the best home tech gadgets for 2020:from 'rollable TVs' to ingenious pop-up steam closets and hi-tech home brew kits - Homes and Property - January 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market 2020 Services, Demand, Size, Growth, Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players and Forecast to 2025... - January 26th, 2020
- HiveIO Introduces Hive Fabric 8.0 with Added Business Intelligence Capabilities and New Cloud Storage Offerings - Citybizlist Real Estate - January 26th, 2020
- Epic tells customers it will stop Google Cloud integrations, says report - Healthcare IT News - January 26th, 2020
- The three keys to a successful, data-driven 2020 - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - January 26th, 2020
- Disaster recovery failover choices: Synchronous mirrors, P2V and the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - January 26th, 2020
- Miss the look of Windows 7? Change these settings - Komando - January 26th, 2020
- Alibaba Cloud Named First Public Cloud Vendor in the World to Obtain Trusted Partner Network (TPN) Certification - Business Wire - January 26th, 2020
- The best free and open-source alternatives to Google Drive on Android - Android Police - January 26th, 2020
- In public cloud, what worked at 1PB wont work at 100PB - VentureBeat - January 26th, 2020
- Formulus Black's Forsa Software Named Finalist for TechTarget's 2019 Storage Product of the Year - Citybizlist Real Estate - January 26th, 2020
- 11 Best Ways to Fix Dropbox Not Connecting or Syncing on Windows 10 Error - Guiding Tech - January 26th, 2020
- What is AWS S3 and 5Ws for using it? - WhaTech - January 26th, 2020
- The Future of Edge Computing: Beyond IoT - Datamation - January 26th, 2020
- The 28 Best Backup and Disaster Recovery Companies for 2020 - Solutions Review - January 26th, 2020
- Signiant Sees Another Record Year in 2019 - Broadcasting & Cable - January 26th, 2020
- Major new collaborative tools feature in Premiere Pro update - RedShark News - January 26th, 2020