Get startedBring yourself up to speed with our introductory content.
Cloud storage is without a doubt one of the biggest buzzwords of the year. But more than that, cloud storage services...
are becoming a popular option for small- to medium-sized businesses (SMBs), as well as larger enterprises, as an alternative to adding and maintaining more storage in-house.
According to the Spring 2010 Storage magazine/SearchStorage Purchasing Intentions survey, 14% of respondents said they're using cloud storage now, with the largest numbers using cloud storage for disaster recovery (6%). But 4% are using it to hold primary data from their data centers, and an equal number are using it for nearline data storage.
But before you take plunge and sign up with a cloud storage service provider, there are some things you need to know. Is cloud storage secure? How much will it cost? What services are best for SMBs? In our cloud storage services guide for beginners, we've collected our top tips and expert advice in one place so you can get answers to your most important questions. Learn about cloud backup, cloud archiving, cloud disaster recovery, and using the cloud for primary storage.
Cloud storage services for smaller businesses
Part of the reason why cloud storage is having difficulty catching on in the data storage realm is because it is still a relatively new concept. Also, many users have questions about the cost and whether or not cloud storage is secure. One of the biggest advantages of using cloud storage for SMBs is that many SMBs don't have a large technical staff to handle storage. Read this article to determine if cloud storage services are a good choice for your organization, and learn about the pros and cons of cloud storage.
Cloud storage explained
"Cloud storage" is basically defined as data storage that is made available as a service via a network. But that definition can be confusing because it's so broad and can include many different types of companies. In this cloud storage guide from SearchStorage, learn about cloud storage criteria, read a cloud storage case study, learn about the future of cloud storage, and more. Click here to read cloud storage explained.
Cloud storage: Five best practices for moving to the cloud
Cloud storage is still a pretty new technology, but experts have already developed some best practices for getting the most from moving to cloud storage. You should read service-level agreements very carefully and beware of hidden costs. Cloud storage providers will tell you the basic cost per gigabyte of cloud storage up front to help you figure out how much it will cost you per month depending on the amount of data you need to store. But these basic costs are only part of the picture, and providers may also charge extra for data transfers, meta data functions, or copying and deleting files. For more information on moving to cloud storage, read this article on cloud storage best practices.
A tutorial on cloud backup services
One of the more popular use cases for cloud computing is cloud backup. But what should you look for in a cloud backup service? What are the different types of cloud backup services? Which ones are best for business use? In this tutorial by data backup and recovery guru W. Curtis Preston, learn everything you need to know about cloud backup services. Click here to read our cloud backup services tutorial.
Service-level agreement and cloud backup services
There are a number of things that must be taken into consideration before you sign up with a cloud data backup service provider. Things to be aware of are: security and privacy, bandwidth issues, and data recovery. Read this tip for a checklist of things to include in a service-level agreement with a cloud backup service.
Cloud data backup management
Management isn't the first concern that comes to mind for end users of cloud data backup. One of the reasons that companies outsource their data backups to cloud data backup service providers is to offload the burden of monitoring, maintaining and supporting the infrastructure.
But tracking key metrics can be helpful, and users are seeing improving options depending on their cloud backup providers. Read this article to learn about what's in store for you when you sign up with a cloud backup service, and what you need to know about cloud data backup management.
Cloud backup neglects recovery and security necessary for true cloud disaster recovery
Many cloud vendors are positioning cloud backup as an ideal disaster recovery solution, allowing users to replicate data offsite and outside of their company's geographic region at a reasonable cost. And, there are even a number of so-called cloud disaster recovery services on the market today. But, what does "cloud disaster recovery" really mean? Read this article to get answers to your questions about cloud backup and cloud disaster recovery.
Are cloud disaster recovery services secure?
One of the biggest issues with cloud storage in general is security. Some important tips include making sure that you check your vendor's references, assessing customer service and ensuring that the vendor's procedures mesh with what your business needs. Read about these tips and others in this expert response by Kevin Beaver about cloud disaster recovery security.
Iowa Health System uses cloud disaster recovery to survive flood
Iowa Health System didn't set out to design a private cloud, but its unintentional internal storage cloud built with Bycast Inc. software and IBM Corp. and NetApp storage ended up saving its mission-critical data from getting lost in the Iowa flood last year. In this case study, learn how Iowa Health System implemented cloud disaster recovery.
Getting started with cloud archiving: Tips for smaller businesses
Cloud archiving can make excellent financial and operational sense, but one thing to keep in mind is that cloud-based data backup is not the same as cloud archiving. Cloud archiving is entirely different from cloud-based backup and recovery. There are four essential reasons to archive. The first two are regulatory compliance and e-discovery, and they are typically lumped together. The next is historical reference, which is rarely discussed but can be very important for some businesses. The fourth is content distribution, which is quickly becoming increasingly important, especially for rich media. Read about other tips like this and about getting started with cloud archiving.
Cloud archiving: Choosing the best cloud service provider
This article compares the features of online data storage providers that can compete in the global data archive market based on standard features available in on-site archiving products: Autonomy Zantaz and Iron Mountain Inc. (which was recently acquired Mimosa Systems). Learn how to choose the best cloud archiving service in this tip.
Top five concerns with cloud storage
There are many concerns with cloud storage, which is still a relatively new technology. Does the provider offer public, private or hybrid clouds? How will you integrate your back-end data with cloud services? Data integration, privacy and compliance are some of the top worries for users considering cloud storage services. Read this article to learn about the top five concerns with cloud storage services.
Cloud backup security
There are a lot of security issues to keep in mind when considering cloud backup. Once backup data is removed from your cloud provider -- be it a single file or an entire backup set -- is it actually removed or does it linger online forever? This could create data retention and e-discovery liabilities. Is the data encrypted once it's uploaded? This is typically the case and not a big issue you need to be concerned with. Is the data encrypted in transit? Read about how to address cloud backup security in this article.
Cloud storage: Not everyone thinks the future is bright for clouds
Although adoption of storage clouds is underway, many storage administrators still need to be convinced of their value -- and point to clear obstacles that still remain with the technology -- before they will feel comfortable moving to the cloud. Common questions include: Will my data be available when I need to retrieve it? Who's controlling my data? What is the performance like when retrieving data from the cloud? Get the answers to these questions in more in the this article on the future of cloud storage.
Storing data in the cloud can be complicated - here's how
See the article here:
Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market to Grow at a CAGR of 21.9% from 2020 to 2027 to Reach $222 Billion by 2027 - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Claims Another Win With Box Partnership - Forbes - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Enterprise Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: The Development Strategies Adopted By Major Key Players And To Understand The Competitive Scenario - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- BitDam Advanced Threat Protection now available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace - Help Net Security - July 23rd, 2020
- Nexsan Unity taps into cloud and Assureon archive - TechTarget - July 23rd, 2020
- IPVanish July sale: three months of VPN cover for the price of one with this deal - Tom's Guide UK - July 23rd, 2020
- Commvault integrates Hedvig with HyperScale X appliance Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 23rd, 2020
- Q&A: Sophos poll shows how attackers are taking advantage of cloud migration to wreak havoc - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Life After COVID 19: E-Discovery Considerations for Attorneys and Clients - JD Supra - July 23rd, 2020
- 4 Ways to Advance Your Tech Without Sacrificing Security - Security Boulevard - July 7th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Is expected to Witness Significant Growth between 2020 to 2028| Top Key Players- AWS, IBM, Microsoft, Google, Oracle, HPE - Owned - July 7th, 2020
- Software-defined storage: It's a Thing Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 7th, 2020
- Microsoft takes legal action against COVID-19-related cybercrime - Microsoft on the Issues - Microsoft - July 7th, 2020
- How Vodafone is helping MSMEs gear up for their business revival - YourStory - July 7th, 2020
- IP Video Surveillance And VSaaS Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Apsters News - July 7th, 2020
- Alternatives to banned apps Shareit and Xender for file transfer - Digit - July 4th, 2020
- I Don't Care How Great These OneDrive Improvements Are, I'm Not Using It - Gizmodo UK - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Based Storage Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2024 - AlgosOnline - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market 2020, Analysis by Growing Demand, Types, Application, Top Trends, User-Demand and Opportunities Assessment till... - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market to Grow at Robust CAGR in the COVID-19 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 4th, 2020
- Global Software-Defined Storage Market 2020-2024| Surge in Cloud Adoption to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- This cheap HP laptop hides a surprising secret that barely anyone noticed - TechRadar - July 4th, 2020
- NIAGARA GENEALOGY: Treasure your heirlooms and their stories - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault partners with Microsoft to deliver SaaS and cloud technology - ChannelLife New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- ZM: 3 Work From Home Stocks for the Second Half of 2020 - StockNews.com - July 4th, 2020
- Commvault and Microsoft Partner to Deliver SaaS and Cloud Technology Solutions - IT News Africa - July 4th, 2020
- Lockly Vision critique: A smart lock and a online video doorbell in a person effectively-built unit - Tech Gaming Report - July 4th, 2020
- Dell GM On Future With VMware And Besting HPE GreenLake - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - July 4th, 2020
- Igneous CEO hands over reins to storage industry vet Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - July 2nd, 2020
- The Pros and Cons of Hybrid vs Private Cloud Computing - Mighty Gadget - July 2nd, 2020
- Will we ever have a universal file storage platform? - BroadbandDeals - July 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft is finally making one of Windows 10s most unloved features actually useful - TechRadar - July 2nd, 2020
- 6 basics of storage automation, predictive analytics and AI - TechTarget - July 2nd, 2020
- WithStand Software Now Available from Associated Research - PR Web - July 2nd, 2020
- AWS Takes the High Ground with Space Unit - EnterpriseAI - July 2nd, 2020
- Global Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateways Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- The Global Bare Metal Cloud Market is expected to grow by $ 7.89 bn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 39% during the forecast period - Yahoo... - June 29th, 2020
- Deploying the Best of Both Worlds: Data Orchestration for Hybrid Cloud - eWeek - June 29th, 2020
- Global Hybrid Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Size, Share, Product Types, Growth Analysis, Business Statistics, Future Prospects and Key Companies... - June 29th, 2020
- Qumulo Shift opens up scale-out NAS to AWS S3 in the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Microsofts new Windows File Recovery tool lets you retrieve deleted documents - The Verge - June 29th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - June 29th, 2020
- Global Private Cloud Storage Market 2020 With Growth Rate of XX% CAGR by Competitive Factors, Innovative-Technology, Demands and Services Offered Till... - June 29th, 2020
- IHS Markit commits to three-year data and infrastructure migration to AWS cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 29th, 2020
- Groundhog Day Security experts decry latest US attempt to kill end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud infrastructure continues to grow in 2020 - IT-Online - June 29th, 2020
- The Future of Peer-to-Peer Online Learning Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Cloud Content Delivery Network (CDN) Market Global Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 29th, 2020
- Current and Future Analysis of Hybrid Cloud Storage Software Market Over the Forecast Period to 2026 - Daily Facts N Trends - June 2nd, 2020
- KIOXIA Offers Thin Provisioning to Increase Cloud Storage Ability - Database Trends and Applications - June 2nd, 2020
- of COVID-19 Outbreak on Multi Cloud Storage Solutions, Global Market to witness - GroundAlerts.com - June 2nd, 2020
- BackupVault Cloud Backup review: Back(up) to reality | IT PRO - IT PRO - June 2nd, 2020
- Concert tickets and your couch: Online streaming platforms keep performers and venues in business | Opinion - PennLive - June 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft works with WANdisco to shift on-premises data lakes to the Azure cloud - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Regional Analysis, Business Growth, Applications, Emerging Opportunities And... - June 2nd, 2020
- Samsung's Galaxy M11 takes the fight to the Redmi Note 8 in India - Android Central - June 2nd, 2020
- Managing the capacity for remote work - ITWeb - June 2nd, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Reaching the limits of unlimited storage in Google Photos - telegraphherald.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Cloud Storage Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026 -... - June 1st, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market: Leading Segments and their Growth Drivers 2020-2026 - ITResearchBrief.com - June 1st, 2020
- Pure Storage CEO On Why The Firm Was 'Well Positioned' Before COVID-19 Hit And What's Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution... - June 1st, 2020
- Wasabi CEO David Friend: New $30 Million Funding Round Comes From 'Family Offices,' Not Venture Capital - CRN: Technology news for channel partners... - June 1st, 2020
- How to Take Your Work Offline in Case of an Emergency - WIRED - June 1st, 2020
- Data protection best practice more important than ever in cloud environment - ITWeb - June 1st, 2020
- E-Discovery Preservation: What to Consider as Offices Open Back Up from COVID-19 - JD Supra - June 1st, 2020
- Dell's OneFS for Google Cloud. What do the competitors think? - Blocks and Files - June 1st, 2020
- 69% off and free cloud storage makes this VPN deal one of the best around right now - TechRadar India - May 19th, 2020
- GoodFirms Survey: Around 92.13% People Believe Cloud Storage have Influenced their Data Habits - WhaTech - May 19th, 2020
- Best practices and need of cloud storage for protecting corporate and personal data - CRN.in - May 19th, 2020