There are multiple reasons to use cloud storage services. Maybe your local hard drives are running low on disk space, in which case you can use the cloud as extra storage. If you want to be able to stream your music collection from anywhere, access your work files at home, easily share vacation videos, etc., you can upload your files online to a cloud storage service. Another reason to use cloud storage is if you want to keep important files secure behind a password and encryption.
In short, cloud storage is helpful not only when it comes to backup but also for security and the ability to easily share files with others or access them yourself from anywhere: your phone, tablet, or another computer.
When you upload a file to the internet and that file is there for an extended period of time, it's considered cloud storage. The simplest type of cloud storage is uploading something to a server and having the ability to retrieve it again should you want to.
A reputable cloud storage service protects the files behind encryption and requires you to enter a password in order to be able to access the files. Most of the time, the cloud storage account can be protected behind two-factor authentication, too, so that anyone wanting access to your files has to know not only the password but another code sent to your phone upon the login request.
Most cloud storage services let you upload all types of files: videos, pictures, documents, music, or anything else. However, some are limited to accepting only certain kinds of files, such as only images or music. Cloud storage services are usually fairly clear about what's allowed and what isn't.
Different cloud storage services let you upload files to your online account through different methods. Some support in-browser uploads only, meaning that you have to log in to the cloud storage service's website to upload your data, but most have desktop applications that make uploading files easier by a simple drag-and-drop into the service's dedicated folder. Most also support uploading images and videos from your phone.
Less common are torrent cloud storage services that are online torrent clients that not only let you download torrents from your browser but also store your files in your online account to stream or download later.
Once your files are stored online, depending on how the service works, the features you get might include the ability to stream videos and music, access the files from your mobile device, easily share the files with others through a special share link, download the files back to your computer, delete them to free up space in your account, encrypt them so that not even the service can see them, and more.
Cloud storage and cloud backup are easily confused. Both work similarly and have a similar end result: the files are stored online. But there are two completely different reasons to use these services, and knowing how they differ is important so that you know which one to choose for your own situation.
Cloud storage is a selective backup procedure where you choose which files to store online, and then you send them to your online account. When you delete a file on your computer that you backed up online, the file is still in your cloud storage account because it isn't actually tied to your computer anymore; it's just a single file that you uploaded online.
Cloud backup is when you install a program on your computer and tell it to keep specific files backed up online. Going a step further than cloud storage, a backup service will also upload any changes you make to the file so that the current version is always stored online. In other words, if you delete a file from your computer, it might also get deleted from your online backup account, and if you change a file on your computer, the online version changes too.
A backup service is great if you want to always keep a huge number of files backed up online. In the event your computer suddenly stops working, you can restore all of those files on a new computer or a different hard drive, and you'll get the same copies you had the last time the backup program stored those files online.
A cloud storage service is less practical as an always-on backup solution and more helpful as a way to back up specific files that you want to have access to from anywhere or share with others. The file versions in the cloud storage account are the same as the versions you uploaded, regardless if you changed them on your computer. Like online backup, you can still download the files again should you need to, like if your computer crashes.
Numerous cloud storage providers out there would like your business, so it can be confusing knowing which to choose. Consider several factors before picking any online cloud backup service.
The rest is here:
What Is Cloud Storage? - Lifewire
- Cloud At The Edge, GPU Storage And LTO Gen 9 - Forbes - September 25th, 2020
- Zoom is being sued over its cloud storage practices - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Microsofts storage dream: a hard disk drive the size of a wardrobe with Samsung Galaxy S20 parts - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- How to Access S3 Buckets from Windows or Linux - ITPro Today - September 25th, 2020
- There is a hole in my cloud bucket - Fudzilla - September 25th, 2020
- Red Hat shifts automated data pipeline into OpenShift Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Seagate gets into object storage with new CORTX software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Kioxia's Ethernet SSD stirs into EBOF life as architects dream - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Ceph scales to 10 billion objects Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Google accused of using its online dominance to hold back competitors; to face antitrust lawsuit: Report - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- Synology DiskStation can keep your digital life organized and safe - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2020
- Looking for a job? The Library is here to help! | Globe Times - swglobetimes.com - September 25th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Market is Projected to Increment at an Eye-Catching CAGR by 2023 | 21.2% CAGR | Know the COVID19 Impact - Verdant News - September 25th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Platform Market: Demand Rate with Regional Outlook, Applications, Consumer Profiles & Forecast 2026 - The Daily... - September 25th, 2020
- This tiny CPU firm could play a key role in the future of Apple One - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Could Snowflake Rival Amazon in Cloud Storage and Services? Here's What You Need to Know About the New So - Tech Times - September 15th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing Can Deal With Lightning Strikes and Hackers - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - September 15th, 2020
- How to approach IT logging in the cloud vs. on premises - TechTarget - September 15th, 2020
- This lifetime web hosting subscription comes with up to 1TB of storage - Mashable - September 15th, 2020
- Keep It in the Cloud! Best Cloud Storage Systems of 2020 - iDrop News - September 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cloud Storage Software Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Amazon Web Services, Microsoft,... - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook adds cloud storage providers Dropbox and Koofr to its photo and video portability tool - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud storages you need to know - The Star, Kenya - September 6th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Impacting the Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market by Industry Analysis, by Type, Application and Top Players:Apple, Google, Box,... - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market to Witness Stunning Growth by 2027; Key Players are Riverbed Technology, SoftNAS, Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Nasuni... - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving a Cloud Computing Surge That Will Only Continue | Opinion - Newsweek - September 6th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Personal Cloud Market Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2019-2026) _ Hosted Types, Revenues, User Type, and Geography. - Galus... - September 6th, 2020
- Amazon's Blink Unveils New Wireless Security Cameras with HD Video, Flexible Storage Options, and New Battery Expansion Pack Cameras Start at $79.99... - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market Will Raise Beyond Imagination over Period 2025 | Microsoft, Oracle, Rackspace Hosting, Red Hat, IBM - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Current Industry Size and Future Prospective with Key Players, Drivers and Trends - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- Media And Entertainment Storage TAM To Exceed $16B By 2025 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Why not open our own Container Registry, muses GitHub as it gives orgs a hand at resource-sharing DEVCLASS - DevClass - September 2nd, 2020
- Sharing responsibility: Why we need to work together to keep the cloud secure - ComputerWeekly.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Data breach exposes tens of thousands of NSW drivers licences online - ABC News - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Key Takeaways From NetApp CEO George Kurian: Cloud, Coronavirus And Growth - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - September 2nd, 2020
- Responding to Cloud Misconfigurations with Security Automation and Common-Sense Tips - Security Boulevard - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Prepare for the Next Time the Cloud Goes Down - Gizmodo - September 2nd, 2020
- Demand for Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market from Major End-use Sectors to Increase in the Near Future - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Prevent the storage and data security risks of remote work - TechTarget - August 29th, 2020
- Samsung kills Gallery Sync and Drive support in favor of OneDrive - Android Central - August 29th, 2020
- 4 great Android apps to edit the perfect photo - Phandroid - News for Android - August 29th, 2020
- Google Cloud and STS to Automate US Navy Maintenance Inspections Using AI and ML Technology - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- New innovative report on Cloud Storage Gateway Market Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand and Opportunities to 2027 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Storage Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 29th, 2020
- In quest to go paperless (and save money), Mizuho to start charging for bank books - Japan Today - August 29th, 2020
- NetApp posts strong Q1, plots big re-organisation Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - August 29th, 2020
- The Handiest Video Doorbells to Remotely Test Who's At your Doorstep - Herald Planet - August 29th, 2020
- Explore the best free cloud backup services on the market - TechTarget - August 26th, 2020
- Integrated Media Technologies Joins the Active Archive Alliance - Sports Video Group - August 26th, 2020
- Storj Labs and FileZilla Collaborate to Offer Secure File Storage in the Remote Work Era - Database Trends and Applications - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Compliance Frameworks: What You Need to Know - Security Boulevard - August 26th, 2020
- Reevert Unveils Advanced Tools to Enhance Network Security and Efficiency for Remote Workforces - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Enhancing Network Visibility for SD-WAN in the Era of Cloud and SaaS - The Fast Mode - August 26th, 2020
- Where to Back Up Your Smartphone Photos Online (and Why You Should) - Lifehacker - August 24th, 2020
- NordLocker encryption heads to the cloud - IT PRO - August 24th, 2020
- What Is the OneDrive File Size Limit? Microsoft's 2020 Updates - Cloudwards - August 24th, 2020
- A Security Flaw In 'Manage Versions' Feature Of Google Drive Could Allow Malware Attackers Trick Victims Into Installing Rogue Code - Digital... - August 24th, 2020
- Medical Image Cloud Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 24th, 2020
- What Is OneDrive? A 2020 Guide to Microsoft's Cloud Storage - Cloudwards - August 20th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Growth, Industry Verticals and Forecast to 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Outlook on the Healthcare Data Storage Global Market to 2026 - Opportunity Analysis for New Entrants - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 20th, 2020
- Personal Cloud Storage Market by Top Manufacturers with Production, Price, Revenue (value) and Market Share to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 16th, 2020
- Pure Storage and Cohesity in Partnership to Deliver Rapid Recovery at Scale - insideHPC - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Systems Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - eRealty Express - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 16th, 2020
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market to Grow at a CAGR of 21.9% from 2020 to 2027 to Reach $222 Billion by 2027 - PRNewswire - July 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Claims Another Win With Box Partnership - Forbes - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Enterprise Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: The Development Strategies Adopted By Major Key Players And To Understand The Competitive Scenario - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- BitDam Advanced Threat Protection now available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace - Help Net Security - July 23rd, 2020