Keeping your files in the cloud allows you to share them with friends or coworkers while still protecting them from outsiders. However, new users may find that many online storage solutions are complicated to use. In this article, well go through the process of setting up and using OneDrive, Microsofts cloud storage solution.
Between the OneDrive app for mobile devices, the Office integration and its decent security measures, its not surprising that this is the first choice of online storage for many users. It even gets the top spot in our Dropbox vs Google Drive vs OneDrive comparison because of these features. Read our full OneDrive review to find out more.
As we mentioned, OneDrive is a form of online storage. This means you can use it to hold onto extra files outside of your hard drive, keep multiple systems synced or even make it act as an online backup.
Although it isnt the best service for security, its other features help OneDrive stay near the top of our rankings. It also comes with flawless integration with Microsofts other products, Office 365 and Windows 10, which few other providers are capable of.
Generally, cloud storage works by saving your files to a server, which is a remote computer with a high storage capacity. You can save your data to these servers by moving files to OneDrives dedicated syncing folder.
For Windows 10 users, OneDrive will already be on your computer, and you can find it inside the file explorer. If it isnt on your device, you can download it directly from Microsofts website and follow the installation wizard.
To use OneDrive, you will also have to log in to a Microsoft account. If you need to do this, you can search the settings window for the your account section.
Once you have it installed and connected to your account, you can begin saving your files through the Windows file explorer. First, search for the OneDrive folder, which should be a tab on the left.
To add more files, simply drag and drop them into this folder from within the file explorer. However, you should be aware that moving files may break other programs, so make a copy of the file if youre unsure.
When your files are safe in your OneDrive storage, there will be a symbol next to each file name. This should be either a green tick mark which means that it is currently synced or a cloud which means its online only. If the icon is two blue arrows, then the file is syncing, so it will fix itself. However, a red cross means your data is out of sync and you need to fix it (we have a help guide for if OneDrive is not syncing).
There are also five options available if you right-click within the folder. The first two share and view online are what you would expect, opening either the sharing options or the web page. The third, manage OneDrive backup, will give you access to more detailed controls.
The last two options allow you to choose where to store your data. Always keep on this device will sync each file, saving it online and on the computer. Meanwhile, free up space tries to remove the files from your computer, making them online-access only.
Finally, you should search through and familiarize yourself with the available settings. Click the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and select settings to open this window. Here, you will find everything from the encryption it uses to the option to remove the service from your computer.
The biggest perk of OneDrive for Windows 10 users is that you dont need to install it. You simply need to sign into a Microsoft account, and it will allow you to store your files without extra hassle.
Being preinstalled means you can access your files from any Windows 10 device in the future. Alongside OneDrives support for macOS, iOS and Android devices, you wont have to struggle to access your data.
Another benefit of this service is the ability to expand your OneDrive storage space when you need it. This has a 2TB cap, but it comes in 200GB increments, rather than the all-or-nothing style that other providers use.
However, the main selling point is OneDrives automatic and frictionless integration with Office 365. By default, Microsoft Office will store everything to your OneDrive account, keeping your documents safe and easy to share.
Alongside the Office integration is 5GB of free storage, which is plenty for a small collection of documents. This means that anyone can create a OneDrive Basic account and receive files and folders from you.
Even its paid plans wont break the bank, starting as low as $5 per month. This affordability helped OneDrive for Business make our list of the best cloud storage solutions for collaboration.
At the low end of the OneDrive pricing structure, both the 5GB and 100GB personal plans come with basic storage functionality. However, they are limited in security options and dont come with offline access to Office 365.
The next step up, Microsoft 365 Personal, comes with 1TB of storage, greater security and access to the core Office apps for $69.99 per year. This can be expanded to six unique users (without sacrificing any features) with a Microsoft 365 Family account for $99.99 per year.
For the extra productivity tools and security options, the OneDrive Business plans are another step up. However, not all of the choices here include the offline Office apps, so if you are considering it, read our full review of OneDrive for Business.
Although OneDrive is great, its hardly the best online storage for everyone, and there are many other options that are worth checking out.
If it doesnt quite meet your needs but security isnt one of your concerns, the other cloud giants have their own specialties. Google Drive focuses on low prices and vast third-party integration, whereas Dropbox comes into its own when youre sharing or syncing files.
For a more secure option than OneDrive, our two favorites Sync.com and pCloud are a good place to look. Both of these services use cutting-edge data protection, although they lose the smooth integration and high speeds of the larger providers.
OneDrive is easy to use and can do everything an average user might want. Its a cheap and simple way to increase your devices storage space or share files with other users. Youll even have access to your data on the go with the OneDrive apps for Android and iOS.
This will be the perfect fit for some users, especially those already using Microsoft Office. However, if mediocre security and tight storage limits are a deal-breaker, there are many other providers fighting for the title of the best cloud storage.
Do you use OneDrive for your remote storage? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below. Thanks for reading.
There is a 5GB Basic plan available for free, with up to 10GB extra attainable through referrals. However, without a decent amount of space or the offline Office applications, this is a somewhat limited way to use OneDrive. To get a better experience without paying anything, use the free 30-day trial of the full Microsoft 365 Personal plan.
Read the rest here:
What Is OneDrive? A 2020 Guide to Microsoft's Cloud Storage - Cloudwards
- BTFS is Poised to Disrupt the Cloud Storage Industry? - ihodl.com - October 15th, 2020
- Reducing cloud storage costs: what you need to know - ITProPortal - October 15th, 2020
- Save an extra 20% on VPNs, password managers, and cloud storage - Mashable - October 15th, 2020
- Cohesity hooks up with AWS to pipe data management-as-a-service at users, starting with backup - Blocks and Files - October 15th, 2020
- The Best Backup and Restore Courses and Online Training for 2020 - Solutions Review - October 15th, 2020
- NetApp Insight 2020 conference news and coverage - TechTarget - October 15th, 2020
- iPad productivity tips: Keyboard tricks, shortcuts, and more - Fast Company - October 15th, 2020
- Cloud At The Edge, GPU Storage And LTO Gen 9 - Forbes - September 25th, 2020
- Zoom is being sued over its cloud storage practices - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Microsofts storage dream: a hard disk drive the size of a wardrobe with Samsung Galaxy S20 parts - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- How to Access S3 Buckets from Windows or Linux - ITPro Today - September 25th, 2020
- There is a hole in my cloud bucket - Fudzilla - September 25th, 2020
- Red Hat shifts automated data pipeline into OpenShift Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Seagate gets into object storage with new CORTX software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Kioxia's Ethernet SSD stirs into EBOF life as architects dream - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Ceph scales to 10 billion objects Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Google accused of using its online dominance to hold back competitors; to face antitrust lawsuit: Report - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- Synology DiskStation can keep your digital life organized and safe - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2020
- Looking for a job? The Library is here to help! | Globe Times - swglobetimes.com - September 25th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Market is Projected to Increment at an Eye-Catching CAGR by 2023 | 21.2% CAGR | Know the COVID19 Impact - Verdant News - September 25th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Platform Market: Demand Rate with Regional Outlook, Applications, Consumer Profiles & Forecast 2026 - The Daily... - September 25th, 2020
- This tiny CPU firm could play a key role in the future of Apple One - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Could Snowflake Rival Amazon in Cloud Storage and Services? Here's What You Need to Know About the New So - Tech Times - September 15th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing Can Deal With Lightning Strikes and Hackers - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - September 15th, 2020
- How to approach IT logging in the cloud vs. on premises - TechTarget - September 15th, 2020
- This lifetime web hosting subscription comes with up to 1TB of storage - Mashable - September 15th, 2020
- Keep It in the Cloud! Best Cloud Storage Systems of 2020 - iDrop News - September 6th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Cloud Storage Software Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Amazon Web Services, Microsoft,... - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook adds cloud storage providers Dropbox and Koofr to its photo and video portability tool - Digital Information World - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud storages you need to know - The Star, Kenya - September 6th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Impacting the Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market by Industry Analysis, by Type, Application and Top Players:Apple, Google, Box,... - September 6th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market to Witness Stunning Growth by 2027; Key Players are Riverbed Technology, SoftNAS, Inc., Oracle, Microsoft, Nasuni... - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Driving a Cloud Computing Surge That Will Only Continue | Opinion - Newsweek - September 6th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Personal Cloud Market Industry Analysis and Market Forecast (2019-2026) _ Hosted Types, Revenues, User Type, and Geography. - Galus... - September 6th, 2020
- Amazon's Blink Unveils New Wireless Security Cameras with HD Video, Flexible Storage Options, and New Battery Expansion Pack Cameras Start at $79.99... - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market Will Raise Beyond Imagination over Period 2025 | Microsoft, Oracle, Rackspace Hosting, Red Hat, IBM - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Current Industry Size and Future Prospective with Key Players, Drivers and Trends - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- Media And Entertainment Storage TAM To Exceed $16B By 2025 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Why not open our own Container Registry, muses GitHub as it gives orgs a hand at resource-sharing DEVCLASS - DevClass - September 2nd, 2020
- Sharing responsibility: Why we need to work together to keep the cloud secure - ComputerWeekly.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Data breach exposes tens of thousands of NSW drivers licences online - ABC News - September 2nd, 2020
- 10 Key Takeaways From NetApp CEO George Kurian: Cloud, Coronavirus And Growth - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - September 2nd, 2020
- Responding to Cloud Misconfigurations with Security Automation and Common-Sense Tips - Security Boulevard - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Prepare for the Next Time the Cloud Goes Down - Gizmodo - September 2nd, 2020
- Demand for Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market from Major End-use Sectors to Increase in the Near Future - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Prevent the storage and data security risks of remote work - TechTarget - August 29th, 2020
- Samsung kills Gallery Sync and Drive support in favor of OneDrive - Android Central - August 29th, 2020
- 4 great Android apps to edit the perfect photo - Phandroid - News for Android - August 29th, 2020
- Google Cloud and STS to Automate US Navy Maintenance Inspections Using AI and ML Technology - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- New innovative report on Cloud Storage Gateway Market Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand and Opportunities to 2027 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Storage Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 29th, 2020
- In quest to go paperless (and save money), Mizuho to start charging for bank books - Japan Today - August 29th, 2020
- NetApp posts strong Q1, plots big re-organisation Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - August 29th, 2020
- The Handiest Video Doorbells to Remotely Test Who's At your Doorstep - Herald Planet - August 29th, 2020
- Explore the best free cloud backup services on the market - TechTarget - August 26th, 2020
- Integrated Media Technologies Joins the Active Archive Alliance - Sports Video Group - August 26th, 2020
- Storj Labs and FileZilla Collaborate to Offer Secure File Storage in the Remote Work Era - Database Trends and Applications - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Compliance Frameworks: What You Need to Know - Security Boulevard - August 26th, 2020
- Reevert Unveils Advanced Tools to Enhance Network Security and Efficiency for Remote Workforces - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Enhancing Network Visibility for SD-WAN in the Era of Cloud and SaaS - The Fast Mode - August 26th, 2020
- Where to Back Up Your Smartphone Photos Online (and Why You Should) - Lifehacker - August 24th, 2020
- NordLocker encryption heads to the cloud - IT PRO - August 24th, 2020
- What Is the OneDrive File Size Limit? Microsoft's 2020 Updates - Cloudwards - August 24th, 2020
- A Security Flaw In 'Manage Versions' Feature Of Google Drive Could Allow Malware Attackers Trick Victims Into Installing Rogue Code - Digital... - August 24th, 2020
- Medical Image Cloud Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 24th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Growth, Industry Verticals and Forecast to 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Outlook on the Healthcare Data Storage Global Market to 2026 - Opportunity Analysis for New Entrants - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 20th, 2020
- Personal Cloud Storage Market by Top Manufacturers with Production, Price, Revenue (value) and Market Share to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 16th, 2020
- Pure Storage and Cohesity in Partnership to Deliver Rapid Recovery at Scale - insideHPC - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Systems Market Analysis, Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025 - eRealty Express - August 16th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 16th, 2020
- How to install the Seafile cloud storage solution on Ubuntu Server 20.04 - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- Five on-premise and cloud options for network-attached storage - ComputerWeekly.com - July 31st, 2020
- Want to back up the worlds largest SSD? Use this 100TB cloud storage - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- 4 reasons why Tresorit is the best cloud storage service - Tech Advisor - July 31st, 2020
- Cloud Technologies Your Business Needs in 2020 - The Seeker - July 31st, 2020
- FBI Alerts to Rise in Targeted Netwalker Ransomware Attacks - HealthITSecurity.com - July 31st, 2020
- The entire Netflix movie archive will fit on this 90PB storage system - TechRadar - July 31st, 2020
- Student discounts: the best offers in 2020 - Creative Bloq - July 31st, 2020