If youre used to storing your photos and videos for free in the Google cloud, then this week brought some bad news: The days of unlimited storage are numbered.
From June 2021, youll still get 15 gigabytes of storage for free, but anything over that and youll have to pony up. So with the heady days of free data storage nearing an end, whats the most cost-effective way of storing pictures orany file from your smartphone? Should you keep uploadingyour snaps to the cloud, or store them on a computer? Should you pay for a larger hard drive on your device, or perhaps think about an external hard drive?
Lets start with smartphones. Memory is where firms like Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. really make their money. It will cost you an extra $100 for every 128 GB of memory you add to your iPhone or Galaxy, the most recent iterations of which are both available with up to 512 GB. Thats a lot more than the costfor either manufacturer: A similarly sizedNAND flash memory chip costs just $1.66 at recent prices. Its a very healthy gross profit margin indeed.
Google meanwhile only offers its Pixel handsets with 128GB of memory. That was all well and good when the company let you store unlimited datain the cloud for free. But now its worth thinking about your options.How much will the cloud set you back? The main consumer cloud providers the likes of Apples iCloud, Google One, Microsoft OneDrive and Dropbox Inc. are pretty much aligned on price these days. For 200 GB you can expect to pay $2.99 a month, for 2 terabytes it will be $9.99.
Americans replace their smartphones, on average, every 33 months, so buying an extra 200 GB of storage each month would cost $98.97 for the lifespan of the device. That works out significantly cheaper than buying asmartphonewith more memory at the outset, since opting for an iPhone with an additional 256 GB of memory would add $200 to the price. Of course, the longer youre willing to hold onto your handset, the cheaper it becomes versus cloud storage.
How about forgoing additional phone storage and just regularly backing your handset up to your computer? If youre an Apple fan, backing an iPhone up to a Macbook wont save you a penny additional memory options for the firms laptops cost the same per gigabyte as they do for the iPhone. In some instances, theyre even more expensive.
But you can start saving money with external hard drives and thumb drives. A 256 GB thumb drive from SanDisk, a unit of Western Digital Corp., costs as little as $32.49. On a cost-per-gigabyte basis, that knocks the others out of the park: The smartphones and laptops cost the equivalent of 78 cents for each extra gigabyte; the cloud providers charge 49 cents; and the external hard drive averages out at just 15 cents(1).
The problem is that external hard drives are a real pain to use. You generally have to upload files to your computer,and from there to the drive. Then you cant access them again until youre back at your computer.
There are, however, two options that are better. Some smartphone makers, not least Samsung, let you add extra memory in the form of a MicroSD card. At an average of 19 cents per gigabyte, theyre only slightly more expensive than an external driveand a great deal easier to use.
The other option is the one hold-out on unlimited free storage of photos online: Amazon.com Inc. But there is a risk that the e-commerce behemoth might follow Googles lead. Its the sort of bait-and-switch tactic that antitrust authorities are starting to examine more closely, where tech giants seem to make a service free long enough to squeeze out smaller rivals and take their customers, only to then crank up theirthe prices up once the field. Sometimes cheaper isnt necessarily in the customers long-term interest.
(1) Based on the cost-per-gigabyte of256GB smartphone memory compared to200GB of cloud storage and the average of 256GB external hard drives or thumb drives.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
Alex Webb is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist covering Europe's technology, media and communications industries. He previously covered Apple and other technology companies for Bloomberg News in San Francisco.
Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.
Read this article:
What is the cheapest way to save all those photos in your phone? - Mint
- ECLIPSE TECH PARTNERS WITH WASABI TO DELIVER HIGH PERFORMANCE HOT CLOUD STORAGE AT COLD STORAGE PRICING - The Herald Journal - December 17th, 2020
- Amber X is a privacy-focused in-home cloud storage for your photos you can access anywhere - DIYphotography - December 17th, 2020
- Trend Micro Cloud One - File Storage Security: Designed to mitigate threats across the cloud - Help Net Security - December 17th, 2020
- Google is finally making it easier to search your Drive cloud storage on mobile - TechRadar - December 17th, 2020
- Wondershare's Document Cloud is the best way to back up your files - Pocket-lint - December 17th, 2020
- Why cloud vendors are investing in new sources of compute power - VentureBeat - December 17th, 2020
- How to Send Large Files Over the Internet - PCMag UK - December 17th, 2020
- Swedish university fined $66,000 for GDPR violations - The Daily Swig - December 17th, 2020
- Apache Pulsar vs. Kafka and other data processing technologies - TechTarget - December 17th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Service Market: Current Status, In-depth Analysis and Forecast Outlook 2026 By Red Hat, Inc., Zadara Storage, IBM Corporation,... - December 17th, 2020
- Online Harms in the UK: Significant new obligations for online companies and fines of up to 10% of annual global turnover for breach - Lexology - December 17th, 2020
- 10 Ways To Boost Cloud Performance - CRN - December 17th, 2020
- Explained: How the changes in Google free cloud storage policy will impact you - The Indian Express - December 9th, 2020
- Here are the Top 5 Encrypted Cloud Storage Services - The Mac Observer - December 9th, 2020
- Object Matrix Joins the Active Archive Alliance - insideHPC - December 9th, 2020
- What Is Public Cloud and Is It Right for Your Business? - G2 - December 9th, 2020
- Looking into the crystal ball: Tech predictions for 2021 - ITProPortal - December 9th, 2020
- How can the cloud industry adapt to a post-COVID world? - IT PRO - December 9th, 2020
- The National Institute for Health Research on connecting through cloud to fight Covid-19 - ComputerWeekly.com - December 9th, 2020
- Zoom recordings will be deleted after six months - The Daily Evergreen - December 9th, 2020
- Global Trend Expected to Guide Private Cloud Storage Market from 2020-2026: Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application - Murphy's... - December 9th, 2020
- The Airbnb of Cloud storage has amassed one million TB of storage worldwide - TechRadar - November 28th, 2020
- A Guide to Storing Your Business Insurance Documents Online - Live Insurance News - November 28th, 2020
- Back up and lock down: Save over 90% on these VPN and cloud storage subscriptions - XDA Developers - November 28th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market Size-Share Analysis and System Production (2020-2026) | Addressing the Potential Impact of COVID-19 by Zion Market... - November 28th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Industry Market 2020 | Research Report CAGR Growth of 24-26% and Predictive Business Strategy by 2025 - Cheshire Media - November 28th, 2020
- Cloud tiering: picking the right cloud tier for short and long term storage - Information Age - November 28th, 2020
- Migrating From Dropbox To Google Drive in 2020: Cloud Swapping - Cloudwards - November 28th, 2020
- Protect Yourself Online With These 5 Essential Security Apps - MakeUseOf - November 28th, 2020
- The 2020 Distributed Storage Summit Ended Successfully, and XnMatrix Fully Covered the Decentralized Cloud Computing Industry Ecology - IT News Online - November 28th, 2020
- Google: We're capping your free cloud storage at 15GB starting next year - TechRepublic - November 16th, 2020
- Google Photos a reminder that cloud storage isn't infinite - TechHQ - November 16th, 2020
- What is OneDrive? Everything you need to know about Microsoft's cloud storage service - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 13th, 2020
- Samsung Cloud storage shutdown: Everything you need to know - Tom's Guide - November 13th, 2020
- InfluxData adds yet another 2.0 platform and opens a new front to cloud storage - ZDNet - November 13th, 2020
- This week in storage with Kioxia and Elastic Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - November 13th, 2020
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market Report With in Depth Analysis by Top Key Players- Zoolz OpenDrive JustCloud MozyPro Egnyte CrashPlan Dropbox... - November 13th, 2020
- Global Business Cloud Storage Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Strategies and Forecast to 2026 Wall Street Call - Reported Times - November 13th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2026 - Zenit News - November 13th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Consumption Analysis, Business Overview and Upcoming Trends Forecast by 2026 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 13th, 2020
- IMT partners with Dalet to simplify AI and media storage in the cloud - KMWorld Magazine - October 29th, 2020
- NetApp CEO George Kurian: The Digital Economy 'Rewrites The Rules' - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - October 29th, 2020
- Catalogic Software Expands its Smart Data Suite to Cloud Storage and Cloud Native Applications - PR Web - October 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| Zoolz, OpenDrive, JustCloud, MozyPro,... - October 29th, 2020
- Sycomp launches an unmatched cloud data experience with Sycomp Storage Fueled by IBM Spectrum Scale on Azure - AiThority - October 29th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Providers Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Pertino, Asigra, SoftLayer, StorageCraft, Dropbox etc. - The Think... - October 27th, 2020
- NetApp plays Spot the difference in cloud services build-out Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - October 27th, 2020
- Private Cloud Storage Market Analysis, Growth Forecast Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 27th, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Software Market Growth, Demand And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Players, Types, Application and Forecast... - October 27th, 2020
- Tag: Cloud Storage - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Object Storage Market Analysis 2020-2027: by Key Manufacturers with Countries, Types, Application and Forecast Till 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market (2020 to 2025) | Growing Application in Industry, Presents Opportunities and Demand Analysis, Growth, Size and Share -... - October 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2023 - The Think Curiouser - October 27th, 2020
- Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Integrated With Facebook as Photo and Video Transfer Destination - PRNewswire - October 24th, 2020
- Enterprise Data Cloud Storage Software Market is projected to grow at High CAGR during the forecast period, 2026 | MailChimp, Constant Contact,... - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Industry Market 2020: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- 5 top tips for businesses in data backup and recovery - Tom's Guide - October 24th, 2020
- Unified file and object storage: The best of both worlds? - ComputerWeekly.com - October 24th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage market will continue to boom says analyst - Eurowire - October 24th, 2020
- Veeam Enhances Offerings To Be A 'Perfect' Fit For MSPs - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Gateway Market Globally Expected to Drive Growth through 2026 - KYT24 - October 24th, 2020
- BTFS is Poised to Disrupt the Cloud Storage Industry? - ihodl.com - October 15th, 2020
- Reducing cloud storage costs: what you need to know - ITProPortal - October 15th, 2020
- Save an extra 20% on VPNs, password managers, and cloud storage - Mashable - October 15th, 2020
- Cohesity hooks up with AWS to pipe data management-as-a-service at users, starting with backup - Blocks and Files - October 15th, 2020
- The Best Backup and Restore Courses and Online Training for 2020 - Solutions Review - October 15th, 2020
- NetApp Insight 2020 conference news and coverage - TechTarget - October 15th, 2020
- iPad productivity tips: Keyboard tricks, shortcuts, and more - Fast Company - October 15th, 2020
- Cloud At The Edge, GPU Storage And LTO Gen 9 - Forbes - September 25th, 2020
- Zoom is being sued over its cloud storage practices - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- Microsofts storage dream: a hard disk drive the size of a wardrobe with Samsung Galaxy S20 parts - TechRadar - September 25th, 2020
- How to Access S3 Buckets from Windows or Linux - ITPro Today - September 25th, 2020
- There is a hole in my cloud bucket - Fudzilla - September 25th, 2020
- Red Hat shifts automated data pipeline into OpenShift Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Seagate gets into object storage with new CORTX software Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Kioxia's Ethernet SSD stirs into EBOF life as architects dream - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Ceph scales to 10 billion objects Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 25th, 2020
- Google accused of using its online dominance to hold back competitors; to face antitrust lawsuit: Report - Times Now - September 25th, 2020
- Synology DiskStation can keep your digital life organized and safe - The Dallas Morning News - September 25th, 2020
- Looking for a job? The Library is here to help! | Globe Times - swglobetimes.com - September 25th, 2020