These days, everyone who is anyone in data storage appears to be partnering with one or more of the big three of the cloud Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Microsoft Azure. Of late, Azure seems to be in the ascendancy. The likes of DataCore, Panzura, Nasuni, Zadara, Veritas, Caringo, Datapipe and many others have announced deals with Azure to harness its cloud platform as part of their storage offerings.
Storage and data protection vendors need to have a point of presence in and with the cloud providers, such as Azure, for their customers, said Greg Schulz, an analyst with StorageIO Group. If vendors dont add support on and for those cloud platforms, somebody else will do it and their customers or prospects may look elsewhere.
Another way to look at it is that cloud platforms such as Azure are another tier of storage. But more than that, their underlying compute platforms have local cloud instance of storage backed by elastic block, file and object storage. Storage vendors can deploy their own storage software on this foundation. This gives users options and flexibility regarding where and how they want their storage software deployed.
Azure continues to expand including with the new Azure Stack which enables hybrid deployments, said Schulz.
Some data storage vendors simply connect to cloud service providers via Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) or a gateway. Others port their storage software to run on a cloud instance (VM) or emerging Virtual Private Servers (VPS) and Dedicated Private Servers (DPS). In this latter case, instead of the storage vendors functionality running on a local hardware appliance, VM or container, it runs in the cloud, using a mix of instances and persistent cloud storage, said Schulz. The advantage, he added, is that when vendor software is running on Azure or another cloud instance, its technology is now in the cloud and using cloud resources.
Examples include Caringo Swarm on Microsoft Azure, which brings file storage into the cloud using Azures worldwide network of managed data centers. The Zadara Storage Cloud delivers block, file and object storage for applications leveraging Azure. By leveraging a Zadara VPSA storage array on Azure, you can migrate applications such as SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint and others to Microsoft Azure without having to reconfigure them. Similarly, Box and Microsoft are working together on Box cloud content management using Azure services. They are exploring ways to integrate artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities and add Azure regions outside the U.S. to Box Zones for in-region storage on Azure.
Nasuni is another company with a strong Microsoft Azure relationship. Microsoft has a massive base of enterprise customers who, in many cases, already have Azure subscriptions, said Warren Mead, vice president, alliances and business development, Nasuni. They are looking for ways to increase their use of Azure as a means of achieving digital transformation, and Azure object storage is a natural first or second foray into the cloud, especially given every enterprise is dealing with storage growth pains.
Thats why he said it makes good business sense for storage software companies like Nasuni to partner with Microsoft. This provides an opportunity to help users transition from legacy, device-constrained NAS and SAN infrastructure to a scalable, Azure-based storage infrastructure. Mead believes cloud object storage is the new disk, as it provides limitless capacity, high availability and geo-redundancy with cloud economics.
How does Nasuni add value? Without a file system, object stores are merely containers, and it is difficult for enterprises to tap their potential for file sharing and collaboration. Nasuni has developed a global file system that lives in and scales with the cloud. Nasuni enterprise file services, powered by the Nasuni UniFS global file system, leverages Azure object storage to provide primary NAS and archive capacity, backup/recovery, disaster recovery (DR) and global file access in one hybrid cloud. By storing all metadata and files in Azure first and using on-premises caching appliances to provide fast, secure access only to the active data, it is said to offer unlimited capacity on demand, pay-as-you-grow flexibility, rapid recovery points and recovery times, DR anywhere you have power and bandwidth, file access through any device, file collaboration without version conflict and centralized management.
DataCore, too, has made its DataCore Cloud Replication software available in the Microsoft Azure Marketplace to support DR efforts. Those with on-premises DataCore deployments can use the Azure cloud as an added replication location to safeguard high availability systems.
For DataCore users seeking hybrid cloud storage, Azure offers a convenient and economically attractive way quickly to roll out and scale a secure remote replication site to safeguard and archive their data; especially when compared to setting up and maintaining a dedicated remote location at a branch office or data center for just this purpose, said Augie Gonzalez, director of product marketing, DataCore Software.
DataCore software replicates data from on-premises virtual storage pools to a remote pool in Azure cloud storage. The asynchronous remote copy travels over standard Internet links protected by a virtual private network (VPN). The on-premises configuration consists of either a software-defined storage infrastructure controlled by DataCore SANsymphony or DataCore Hyper-converged Virtual SAN. They communicate with other instances of DataCore software executing in Azure. Should the on-premises site suffer a major outage or have no space to keep a long-term archive, the copy stored in Azure may be accessed from anywhere.
Managed service providers (MSPs) are also leaping on the bandwagon. Datapipe, for example, has added Azure cloud storage into its portfolio. The company utilizes local disk storage all the way up to its own cloud storage solution.
Being able to include products like StorSimple for Azure allows our clients to keep investments they already have in one of our storage solutions and expand into Azure, said Tim Campbell, product manager, at Datapipe. Start with an easy project like server backup to Azure storage as a way to get backups off site in a cost-efficient manner and gain familiarity with cloud storage technologies.
Speaking of backup, Veritas and Microsoft have inked a multi-year partnership to link Azure (cloud storage, compute, analytics and machine learning) with new management and governance capabilities from Veritas. This includes collaboration to sell hybrid cloud storage jointly to mutual customers.
As part of the partnership, Veritas NetBackup 8.0 now supports storage tiering to Azure. This is said to improve data lifecycle management by optimizing the movement of data to Azure cloud storage. This reduces or eliminates the need to deploy additional storage with a separate point product. For small and midsized businesses, Veritas Backup Exec 16 supports the movement of backup data to Azure. Veritas is also leveraging Azure to drive greater efficiencies for its own workloads. The company has selected Azure as the cloud backend on which to run its Enterprise Vault.cloud service, which provides policy-based information retention to streamline eDiscovery and helps Office 365 subscribers to find archived information quickly.
Enterprises are increasingly looking to Microsoft to help power their digital transformation as they adopt Azure cloud services and Office 365, said Chris Mancebo, global strategic alliances, Veritas. Such hybrid cloud storage scenarios will enable customers to take advantage of the cloud (or multiple clouds) to reduce their storage costs while increasing business agility, and to extract greater value from their data.
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
- Get 2TB of cloud storage and organization for less than $50 - Android Central - February 23rd, 2020
- Zoho reinvents its cloud storage with WorkDrive - GeekWire - February 23rd, 2020
- Cloud-enabled threats are on the rise, sensitive data is moving between cloud apps - Help Net Security - February 23rd, 2020
- A lifetime of learning from Whizlabs is just $60 right now - Android Central - February 23rd, 2020
- OneDrive for Android gains a dedicated dark theme in latest beta update - 9to5Google - February 23rd, 2020
- Netskope Releases February 2020 Netskope Cloud and Threat Report - Solutions Review - February 23rd, 2020
- This Wi-Fi Smart Doorbell Has an 180 Vertical Field of View - Gadget Flow - February 23rd, 2020
- TechTarget Storage Magazine and SearchStorage.com Select Hammerspace as a Storage Product of the Year for 2019 - GlobeNewswire - February 18th, 2020
- Top enterprise cloud storage systems win 2019 Products of the Year - TechTarget - February 18th, 2020
- #1501: How to deal with low cloud storage space, StopTheMadness fixes unfriendly Web sites, clean tech and more from CES 2020 - TidBITS - February 18th, 2020
- Talon Announces Strong Growth Driven By Industry Trend To Cloud Consolidation; Reports Record Sales in 2019 - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- List: The best ways to protect your pictures - WKYC.com - February 18th, 2020
- 8 Best Ways to Fix Google Drive Storage Full But No Files in It Issue - Guiding Tech - February 18th, 2020
- Public Cloud Storage Service Market Trends, Size, Share, Types, Applications, In-depth Industry Analysis and Competitive landscape Forecast 2025 -... - February 18th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Forbes Road To The Cloud - Architecture, Security And The Refactor - Forbes - February 18th, 2020
- Psst. SANshine, fancy a bit of shared block storage on Azure? - The Register - February 18th, 2020
- Edge Computing Brings the Cloud to the Data - FedTech Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Market Research: Aim To Achieve The Pinnacle In Qualitative Industry Research And Business Intelligence -... - February 18th, 2020
- Siacoin (SC) Siaskynet will be the only Big news on February 18, 2020, GoodBye YouTube - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 18th, 2020
- Microsoft ready to take on Google with this new app for Android users - Times of India - February 18th, 2020
- Cloud key to top 2019 data backup and disaster recovery products - TechTarget - February 18th, 2020
- Look for These 4 Chances to Save During IT Improvements - FedTech Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- More than software: SaaS is a relationship - NewscastStudio - February 17th, 2020
- Connect, share and store images and movies seamlessly with image.canon - Africanews English - February 17th, 2020
- Looking to Keep Data Analytics in Healthcare Affordable? The Answer is the Cloud - - HIT Consultant - February 17th, 2020
- The best free and open-source alternatives to Google Keep on Android - Android Police - February 17th, 2020
- Here's how Shree Cement uses IT to decrease TAT by 60% - ETCIO.com - February 17th, 2020
- Premarket stocks: Germany recession fears are back amid the coronavirus outbreak - CNN - February 17th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to Best and Affordable 5 Cloud Services 2020 - PhonesWiki - February 16th, 2020
- Reason 962 to Avoid Cloud Photo and Video Storage: Strangers May Be Able to See Your Stuff - Fstoppers - February 16th, 2020
- Cloud Is On The List - BroadcastProME.com - February 16th, 2020
- Xiaomi is offering a REALLY LONG Mi Cloud subscription plan that spans 60-YEARS - gizmochina - February 16th, 2020
- Google Drive: Lost your Android phone or WhatsApp backup? Here's where to find them - Express - February 16th, 2020
- BackBlaze reports unexpectedly high failure rate for one of Seagate's 12TB drives - Blocks and Files - February 16th, 2020
- Data Deduplication Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to2018 2026 - TechNews.mobi - February 16th, 2020
- Preparing IT teams against growing online security threats The Manila Times - The Manila Times - February 16th, 2020
- Fungible aims to slay the CPU bogeyman with composable microprocessor - Blocks and Files - February 16th, 2020
- HiveIO Adds Data Protection, BI, Cloud Storage to Its Intelligent Virtualization Solution - Integration Developers - February 12th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - News Parents - February 12th, 2020
- Catch Of The Week: Ransomware On The Rise - Los Alamos Daily Post - February 12th, 2020
- Office 365: 9 Baked-In Productivity Tools Built That Workers Are Using - CMSWire - February 12th, 2020
- Pester power! One big customer prompts Dell EMC PowerProtect systems to work with Actifio - Blocks and Files - February 12th, 2020
- Eight ways to stay safe online, Tech News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - February 12th, 2020
- Data protection must be boardroom priority - ITWeb - February 12th, 2020
- Facilis to debut version 8 of their shared storage system and version 3.5 of FastTracker MAM - Screen Africa - February 12th, 2020
- This cloud service will streamline your workflow and simplify your life - Mashable - February 10th, 2020
- We Need to Talk About Cloud Neutrality - WIRED - February 10th, 2020
- Why fast object storage is poised for the mainstream - Blocks and Files - February 10th, 2020
- Choosing the right disaster recovery for your business - ComputerWeekly.com - February 10th, 2020
- Understanding my new-found appreciation of Google Maps - IT PRO - February 10th, 2020
- Synology DS218play 2 Bay NAS Review Is it worth the extra 40+ over the TerraMaster F2-210? - Mighty Gadget - February 10th, 2020
- 7 Great ETFs to Buy for the Rise of 5G - Investorplace.com - February 10th, 2020
- Warren Mead of NS1 Recognized as 2020 CRN Channel Chief - Business Wire - February 10th, 2020
- How to Simplify Resource Management in Higher Education with Azure Tags - EdTech Magazine: Focus on Higher Education - February 1st, 2020
- Top 3 Ways to Fix OneDrive Connectivity Error Code 0x8004de40 in Windows 10 - Guiding Tech - February 1st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market Size Overview by Rising Demands, Trends and Huge Business Opportunities 2020 to 2028 - VOICE of Wisconsin Rapids - February 1st, 2020
- 5 tips to clean up your Chromebook and keep it running fast - Chrome Unboxed - February 1st, 2020
- Getting the Most Out of Cloud Data Lakes - ITPro Today - January 31st, 2020
- Five signs that your business is ready to start migrating storage to the cloud - IOL - January 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage MARKET BOOMING BY SIZE, REVENUE, TREND AND TOP GROWING COMPANIES 2026 - Healthcare News - January 31st, 2020
- Kasten klimbs Kubernetes kontainer protection mountain with K10 - Blocks and Files - January 31st, 2020
- Google is taking another stab at a messaging service, and this one could work - Chrome Unboxed - January 31st, 2020
- Ten of the best home tech gadgets for 2020:from 'rollable TVs' to ingenious pop-up steam closets and hi-tech home brew kits - Homes and Property - January 31st, 2020
- Cloud Storage Software Market 2020 Services, Demand, Size, Growth, Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players and Forecast to 2025... - January 26th, 2020
- HiveIO Introduces Hive Fabric 8.0 with Added Business Intelligence Capabilities and New Cloud Storage Offerings - Citybizlist Real Estate - January 26th, 2020
- Epic tells customers it will stop Google Cloud integrations, says report - Healthcare IT News - January 26th, 2020
- The three keys to a successful, data-driven 2020 - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - January 26th, 2020
- Disaster recovery failover choices: Synchronous mirrors, P2V and the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - January 26th, 2020
- Miss the look of Windows 7? Change these settings - Komando - January 26th, 2020
- Alibaba Cloud Named First Public Cloud Vendor in the World to Obtain Trusted Partner Network (TPN) Certification - Business Wire - January 26th, 2020
- The best free and open-source alternatives to Google Drive on Android - Android Police - January 26th, 2020
- In public cloud, what worked at 1PB wont work at 100PB - VentureBeat - January 26th, 2020
- Formulus Black's Forsa Software Named Finalist for TechTarget's 2019 Storage Product of the Year - Citybizlist Real Estate - January 26th, 2020
- 11 Best Ways to Fix Dropbox Not Connecting or Syncing on Windows 10 Error - Guiding Tech - January 26th, 2020
- What is AWS S3 and 5Ws for using it? - WhaTech - January 26th, 2020
- The Future of Edge Computing: Beyond IoT - Datamation - January 26th, 2020
- The 28 Best Backup and Disaster Recovery Companies for 2020 - Solutions Review - January 26th, 2020
- Signiant Sees Another Record Year in 2019 - Broadcasting & Cable - January 26th, 2020
- Major new collaborative tools feature in Premiere Pro update - RedShark News - January 26th, 2020