Cloud content management company Box (NYSE:BOX) released third-quarter 2020 earnings on Nov. 26, and they looked pretty good. Revenue beat its previous outlook, causing the company to raise revenue guidance for the next quarter.
Further, the company gave an encouraging forecast for next year, which includes increasing revenue and controlling costs to deliver an improving free cash flow situation. Investors cheered with the stock up over 10% on the good news.
Image source: Getty Images.
Box's previous guidance for fiscal third-quarter revenue was $174 million to $175 million. Considering this is a company with a bad habit of revising guidance, it was crucial to deliver. Box indeed did deliver with revenue of $177.2 million -- up 2.7% quarter over quarter and 13.6% year over year.
The launch of Box's new security product -- Box Shield -- was another important subject going into these quarterly results. Box Shield helps companies manage data and prevent sensitive data from leaking out to the wrong people. In the earnings call, Box CEO Aaron Levie said that Box Shield is currently selling better than any product the company has ever launched. That's very encouraging, but keep in mind that it's still early, and the product only launched at the end of October.
Non-GAAP (adjusted) net loss for the third quarter came in at $0.01 per share. Non-GAAP numbers reflect what the company believes its net earnings would have been if not for certain anomalies. But it is not earnings as they actually are. GAAP losses for Box were $0.28 per share, the same as last year, despite the company's top line growth. Next quarter, the company is guiding for a marked improvement of $0.22 to $0.21 GAAP loss per share.
Free cash flow, although improved from last quarter, was also still negative for the quarter.
Data source: Box.
It's discouraging to see negative free cash flow considering total operating expenses are down. Two of the main drags on Box's cash flow are capital expenditures and capital lease payments. These two things cost the company about 4.5% of revenue in the latest period. For the fourth quarter, the company is projecting they will eat up 8% of revenue, likely keeping the company in negative cash flow territory.
All in all this was a good step by Box management to reestablish credibility. Now, it needs to keep the momentum going. Of specific interest is what Box Shield represents. According to Levie, Shield is essentially the last piece of the puzzle for Box, offering an end-to-end cloud content solution. Certainly, there will be more add-on features to various products in the future, but the core product lineup is now set.
Daniel Kline points out in his article on investing intechnology stocks that it's not uncommon for tech companies to have profitability issues while scaling their businesses. But now that Box has a more complete product with Box Shield, investor expectations should begin to change. Now is really the time for it to begin generating cash.
To that end, Box issued guidance at its investor day: In fiscal 2021, it plans to increase revenue 12.5% year over year and increase free cash flow margin to 12.5%.This year's revenue guidance is between $693.7 million and $694.7 million. A 12.5% bump would put next year's revenue at around $780 million. A free cash flow margin of 12.5% would put free cash flow close to $100 million for the year -- that would be a very welcome improvement.
That said, Box's market cap is around $2.6 billion as of this writing, which means that it trades at 26 times future free cash flow. There's no magic price-to-free-cash-flow number out there, but 26 isn't exactly cheap. By comparison, although it's not a direct Box competitor, cloud storage company Dropbox trades for around 25 times trailing free cash flow.
I'll happily take this quarter for what it was -- an improvement. The guidance given by Box's management is where this company needs to go. Look for the company to keep building investor confidence next quarter by hitting its revenue guidance of $181 million to $182 million. Also look for Box Shield demand to remain high.
- Digital Storage Markets for Media & Entertainment, 2019 to 2024 - Cloud Storage Revenue Will Reach ~$3.7 Billion by 2024 - Yahoo Finance - January 20th, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2025 - Melanian News - January 20th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Service Market by Key Manufacturers, Regions, Risk Analysis, Industry Share, Driving Factors, Deployment Policy, Innovative Technology,... - January 20th, 2020
- Google takes on AWS and Azure in India with Airtel cloud deal - TechCrunch - January 20th, 2020
- The best outdoor home security cameras of 2020 - CNET - January 20th, 2020
- Tips To Choose The Right Provider For Cloud Storage And Backup - TechShout! - January 20th, 2020
- Save 39% off Adobe Creative Cloud: full access to Photoshop, Lightroom and more - TechRadar - January 20th, 2020
- Erwan Menard, Director of Infrastructure and Applications Modernization - AiThority - January 20th, 2020
- How are Business Telecoms Set to Change in 2020? - The Future of Things - January 20th, 2020
- Unboxing the Tolino Page 2 E-Reader - Goodereader - January 20th, 2020
- Smart Toys Market To 2026 Key Players, Size, Trends, Opportunities and Growth Analysis - Fusion Science Academy - January 20th, 2020
- Global Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) Market by 2024: Challenges, Drivers, Growth Opportunities, Segmentation, Insights and Overall Outlook &... - January 20th, 2020
- How it Works: Disaster Recovery as a Service With Dell EMC Cloud Storage Services and Faction | StorageReview.com - StorageReview.com - January 17th, 2020
- Cheap Adobe Creative Cloud deal: save nearly 40% on monthly subscriptions - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Were Living in a Subscriptions World. Heres How to Navigate It. - The New York Times - January 17th, 2020
- Consumer Cloud Storage Services Industry 2020-2025 Expected to Grow with a Significant CAGR, Size, Trend, Demand, Analysis, Revenue Insights and Top... - January 17th, 2020
- Is Cloud Computing the Answer to Genomics Big Data... - Labiotech.eu - January 17th, 2020
- Uncovering the Long-Term Cloud Archive Equation - TV Technology - January 17th, 2020
- HPC In 2020: Acquisitions And Mergers As The New Normal - The Next Platform - January 17th, 2020
- Amazon will ask a court to block Microsoft from working on a $10 billion cloud computing contract - Q13 News Seattle - January 14th, 2020
- Business Cloud Storage Market Outlook: Heading to the Clouds - The Market Journal - January 14th, 2020
- Jussie Smollett is probably toast now that Google is handing his data to the special prosecutor - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- The Easiest Way to Switch from Windows 7 to Linux - Lifehacker - January 14th, 2020
- Join us live online today: Find out how to store and manage data in the hybrid-cloud era to boost your business - The Register - January 14th, 2020
- VIEWPOINT: Refocusing as a Digital-First Publication - Georgetown University The Hoya - January 14th, 2020
- Cloud Computing: Current Top Trends and Technologies - Datamation - January 14th, 2020
- Cyber Security Today Millions of files on Americans found open on Internet, and how to avoid juice-jacking - IT World Canada - January 14th, 2020
- Veeam CTO On Why Veeam Wanted To Be Acquired And What Comes Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - January 14th, 2020
- Top five trends in IT for this year - TechRadar - January 4th, 2020
- Lost messages? Here's how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android and iOS devices - Free Press Journal - January 4th, 2020
- [Case Study] How This Maternity Hospital Chain Moved Its Technology Infrastructure To A Cloud Platform - Analytics India Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- Get $30 off a year of Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan - Macworld - January 4th, 2020
- Google Photos: The Best Tips and Tricks - Digital Trends - January 4th, 2020
- There's now a new way to experience your favorite shows thanks to the Astro Ultra Box - Mashable SE Asia - January 4th, 2020
- Age of Innovation: Learning from Infinity and Beyond - Porterville Recorder - January 4th, 2020
- Why your business should be using backup as a service - ITProPortal - January 1st, 2020
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market is Expected to Grow from USD 10.4 Billion in 2019 to USD 34.5 Billion by 2024; Growing at a CAGR of 27.1%. -... - January 1st, 2020
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market To Witness Robust Expansion Throughout The Forecast Period 2019 2025 - Market Reports Observer - January 1st, 2020
- Red Shark Review of the Year - August 2019 - RedShark News - January 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Fixes for iCloud Drive Not Syncing on Windows 10 Issue - Guiding Tech - January 1st, 2020
- Cloud Compute in 2019: Workloads and Options - insideHPC - January 1st, 2020
- PrimeArray Systems, Inc. Offers Optical Disc Migration Services - Ripping Services to Hard Drive, Disc Archiving Services, Disc Data Ripping, and... - January 1st, 2020
- Global Healthcare Data Storage Market is Projected to Grow at a CAGR of 14.3% During the Forecast Period - Yahoo Finance - January 1st, 2020
- 5 Trends That Defined Each Year in the 2010s Decade - Security Sales & Integration - January 1st, 2020
- Strange Cloud Outages that Shook up the Tech World in 2019 - EnterpriseTalk - January 1st, 2020
- What is Amazon Athena? - TechRadar - January 1st, 2020
- The One Best REIT To Own In 2020 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Year in review: Best Android apps of 2019 - The South African - January 1st, 2020
- From Boombox To Wireless Speakers: How Tech Evolved Over The Last Decade - Tech Revolution In 2010s - Economic Times - January 1st, 2020
- From retail to robotics, Jeff Bezos is betting big on technology - ETBrandEquity.com - January 1st, 2020
- Amazon's second act, Microsoft's revival and red-hot IPOs highlighted the decade of the cloud - CNBC - December 25th, 2019
- The 3 biggest storage advances of the 2010s - ZDNet - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Professionals Give 11 Predictions for Cloud's Evolution in 2020 - Database Trends and Applications - December 25th, 2019
- Google Drive vs OneDrive: Which is better? - ValueWalk - December 25th, 2019
- Big Data Predictions: What 2020 Will Bring - Datanami - December 25th, 2019
- VC Investments In Enterprise Tech And AI - Forbes - December 25th, 2019
- VMware to use MinIO object storage in Kubernetes embrace - Blocks and Files - December 25th, 2019
- These shockingly low prices on Blink security systems and Amazon Fire TVs only last one day - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- SolarWinds Gears New Backup for Office 365 Solution Toward MSPs - ITPro Today - December 25th, 2019
- Disrupting the disruptors: The power of hybrid integration - ITProPortal - December 25th, 2019
- Alexa and Google enabled smart plugs are just $7.50 each in this crazy year-end sale - BGR - December 25th, 2019
- Reds team up with leader in cloud storage Acronis - Liverpool FC - December 19th, 2019
- The 5 Best Deals on Cloud Storage and Backup This Holiday Season - XDA Developers - December 19th, 2019
- Data Stored in the Cloud Needs Backup Heres Why - TechiExpert.com - December 19th, 2019
- Why Prudential's Top Line Is Likely To Shrink Nearly $1 Billion In 2019 - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- Swedish c.bank ends five years of negative rates with hike to zero - Nasdaq - December 19th, 2019
- A Data Leak Exposed The Personal Information Of Over 3,000 Ring Users - BuzzFeed News - December 19th, 2019
- Google Photos vs iCloud Photos: Which One to Use on iPhone - Guiding Tech - December 19th, 2019
- QLD TAFE to rip out legacy Veritas tech in cloud shift - ARNnet - December 19th, 2019
- Endurance International hosted Cloudbazaar 2019 the premier event for cloud, domains and web hosting - ETCIO.com - December 19th, 2019
- The three Cs of Actifio 10c: Clouds, containers and copy data - Blocks and Files - December 19th, 2019
- AWS Outposts Is GA. Now What? - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 19th, 2019
- Experts Share Their 2020 Backup and Disaster Recovery Predictions - Solutions Review - December 19th, 2019
- Amazon, AWS and antitrust: How tough could US lawmakers be on the tech titan? - ComputerWeekly.com - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Gateways For File-Based Applications And IEDM Announcements - Forbes - December 17th, 2019
- Denodo Platform Now Available on the Google Cloud Platform Marketplace Providing Realtime Data Delivery Through Data Virtualization - MarTech Series - December 17th, 2019
- Stand Alone Cloud Storage Market: Future Innovation Ways That, Growth & Profit Analysis, Forecast By 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 17th, 2019
- Global Cloud Storage Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corporation, EMC Corporation Amazon Web Services Inc., Rackspace Hosting Inc.... - December 17th, 2019
- Global AI-Powered Storage Market Forecasts to 2024: A $34.5 Billion Opportunity, Driven by Massive Growth in Data Volumes & Increasing Adoption of... - December 17th, 2019
- How the Home Office's Immigration Technology department reduced its cloud costs by 40% - GOV.UK - December 17th, 2019