We are living through uncertain times, with many businesses enforcing work-from-home policies and moving most operations online. As a result, it has recently become more important than ever for companies and their IT departments to be absolutely certain that all of their data online is safe and secure.
This World Backup Day we spoke to six industry experts about what steps businesses and their employees should take in order to ensure their online operations are fully backed-up, particularly in times like these.
Backup and disaster recovery plans are crucial in todays data-driven society, says Dave Demlow, VP Product Management at Scale Computing. Faced with ever-increasing volumes of data, along with the growing threat of ransomware, malware, and a rapidly increasing remote workforce due to the outbreak of coronavirus, IT professionals are under tremendous pressure to protect everything while ensuring production systems arent impacted.
"World Backup Day serves as an important reminder to raise awareness on the cruciality of data protection, backup and business continuity plans. Data loss prevention can be achieved through performing frequent backups and should be considered a high priority to individuals and businesses alike.
"Due to the increase in cyberthreats and the rapidly growing remote workforce, its important to secure and protect IT infrastructure with a disaster recovery plan. Implementing a recovery plan allows users to proactively prevent or recover quickly from disasters, ensuring data is safe and mission-critical business applications are available.
"Many only emphasise the currency and frequency of the recovery points, but the time it takes to recover information is just as significant. Backup and disaster recovery plans should be regularly evaluated to protect organisations from being blindsided by an incident.
The data held by organisations in the U.K. public sector is some of the most critical and sensitive data in the country, comments Sascha Giese, Head Geek at SolarWinds. From medical records to national defence information, the public sector is responsible for keeping all its data safe and untouchable from unauthorised users. Particularly now that organisations are more likely to use a combination of on-premises and cloud, IT teams need to be confident that all the data across all storage locations is backed up if theres any unscheduled downtime.
The risks of creating a backup manually without an automated solution are too great for the public sector to consider, and therefore organisations shouldif they havent alreadylook to implement a cost-effective backup solution to not only manage all of this complex and sensitive data, but reduce time spent by IT teams keeping backups up to date. Its also worth noting a backup isnt a backup until the integration of data is verified, and the restoration process tested; neither of these can be rushed. Though adopting a backup solution means additional cost in the short-term, having this safety blanket in place will reassure millions of citizens their data is as safe as it can be.
93 per cent of companies that lost their data centre for 10 days or more due to a disaster filed for bankruptcy within one year of the disaster, reveals Eltjo Hofstee, Managing Director at Leaseweb UK. World Backup Day is the perfect opportunity for businesses to ponder this, then ask themselves the following questions: How much time am I prepared to have mission-critical functions unavailable? How much data am I prepared to lose? How much money will it cost while these services are not available? If these questions raise concerns, it is time for a business to address its backup strategy. The most valuable assets should be prioritised and organisations need to be demanding about the quality, scalability and reliability of backup solutions.
Eltjo continues: Backing-up data is pivotal to a successful disaster recovery plan. Data has been backed up since the beginning of the computer age, but there have been many changes in the methods and storage technology used in this process. There has been an evolution in storage technology from tapes, to hard drives, to where we are now, which is cloud storage. One benefit of modern cloud backup solutions is that they are suitable for businesses of any size. A business and its employees can back up data to the cloud from any server or device, anywhere with an internet connection. Cloud backup solutions are easy to manage, and their providers offer hands-on customer support.
World Backup Day was created to remind consumers about the need to backup their most important digital files, explains Jon Lucas, Co-Director at Hyve Managed Hosting. But taking a business view on March 31st is just as imperative, and never has this been more clear than in todays uncertain and digitally-reliant workplace. Few companies would argue that backups aren't worth the effort, however, every year we see stories about lost revenue and lost reputation because a backup hasnt been there when needed.
One of the ways sufficient backup plans can drop off the IT to-do list is because businesses dont have the time, resources or experience to manage it in-house. But with the cloud computing and managed service era comes a practical and affordable way forward, and working with a partner that offers backup and disaster recovery solutions can be easily built into any IT environment. So, although awareness of its importance is for most improving, understanding its urgency and where to go for help remains a key message this World Backup Day.
"There are two major reasons why we should take backups seriously: Hardware failure and human error, says Steve Cochran, Chief Technology Officer at ConnectWise. Systems are not fool proof and every piece of hardware will fail eventually, so its not a question of if, but rather when, these failures will happen. If you havent kept up with your backups, youll get caught unprepared. Theres also a factor of human error where you might accidentally delete a file or photo. We put our entire lives on our computers and mobile devices, but we also make mistakes, and not having a backup system in place is almost silly at this point. While you need to dedicate some time to set up automatic backups, you dont have to keep up with them -- they simply run in the background.
Backing up isnt just something we should do on a personal level. Hardware failures and human errors happen on a global scale, so backups should be an important consideration for any business, large or small. When you back up your data, your business is better prepared to handle any situation, whether human error, natural disaster or global crisis. With backups in place, youre proactive, which means your data is safe and youre prepared to address problems immediately, which minimises the impact on your customers."
Back in 2011, World Backup Day was initiated in order to remind us how essential it is to have a copy of our data and information, concludes Gijsbert Janssen van Doorn, Technology Evangelist at Zerto. But, while the day has only grown in significance over the years, backup technology has barely begun to evolve. From tape, to hard drive and now cloud which is really just tape in many cases the target and management has changed, yet it is still fundamentally based on periodic snapshots of information.
But in our always-on business landscape, and especially in times of crisis like we are currently experiencing, can an organisation still be truly protected with an antiquated backup strategy?
The short answer is it cant. Data should be protected by continuous replication, which makes sure that every change, update and added piece of data is always available. This gives the reassurance that all data is protected up to a moment before anything disrupts it. If your organisation doesnt have a solid strategy and supporting tactical plan in place, now is the time to implement one.
Follow this link:
World Backup Day: tech to rely on in times of uncertainty - ITProPortal
- Current and Future Analysis of Hybrid Cloud Storage Software Market Over the Forecast Period to 2026 - Daily Facts N Trends - June 2nd, 2020
- KIOXIA Offers Thin Provisioning to Increase Cloud Storage Ability - Database Trends and Applications - June 2nd, 2020
- of COVID-19 Outbreak on Multi Cloud Storage Solutions, Global Market to witness - GroundAlerts.com - June 2nd, 2020
- BackupVault Cloud Backup review: Back(up) to reality | IT PRO - IT PRO - June 2nd, 2020
- Concert tickets and your couch: Online streaming platforms keep performers and venues in business | Opinion - PennLive - June 2nd, 2020
- Microsoft works with WANdisco to shift on-premises data lakes to the Azure cloud - Blocks and Files - June 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Regional Analysis, Business Growth, Applications, Emerging Opportunities And... - June 2nd, 2020
- Samsung's Galaxy M11 takes the fight to the Redmi Note 8 in India - Android Central - June 2nd, 2020
- Managing the capacity for remote work - ITWeb - June 2nd, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Reaching the limits of unlimited storage in Google Photos - telegraphherald.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Cloud Storage Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026 -... - June 1st, 2020
- Global Cloud Storage Market: Leading Segments and their Growth Drivers 2020-2026 - ITResearchBrief.com - June 1st, 2020
- Pure Storage CEO On Why The Firm Was 'Well Positioned' Before COVID-19 Hit And What's Next - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution... - June 1st, 2020
- Wasabi CEO David Friend: New $30 Million Funding Round Comes From 'Family Offices,' Not Venture Capital - CRN: Technology news for channel partners... - June 1st, 2020
- How to Take Your Work Offline in Case of an Emergency - WIRED - June 1st, 2020
- Data protection best practice more important than ever in cloud environment - ITWeb - June 1st, 2020
- E-Discovery Preservation: What to Consider as Offices Open Back Up from COVID-19 - JD Supra - June 1st, 2020
- Dell's OneFS for Google Cloud. What do the competitors think? - Blocks and Files - June 1st, 2020
- 69% off and free cloud storage makes this VPN deal one of the best around right now - TechRadar India - May 19th, 2020
- GoodFirms Survey: Around 92.13% People Believe Cloud Storage have Influenced their Data Habits - WhaTech - May 19th, 2020
- Best practices and need of cloud storage for protecting corporate and personal data - CRN.in - May 19th, 2020
- Microsofts Azure And Dynamics 365 To Offer AI-Driven Cloud Storage And Data Analytics To FedEx Logistics For Improving Last-Mile Delivery - Appuals - May 19th, 2020
- InfiniteIO and Google Cloud help orgs reduce the cost of network-attached storage and speed cloud adoption - Help Net Security - May 19th, 2020
- How to Future-Proof Your Business - Built In Austin - May 19th, 2020
- Next-Generation Data Storage Market expected to reach a value of approximately USD 104.3 billion by the year 2025 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are The Best Big Data Cloud Storage Providers? Here Are The Top 6 - Forbes - May 11th, 2020
- Cloud storage needs disruption and Backblaze has delivered the goods - ZDNet - May 11th, 2020
- Did Western Digital Investors Overreact to its Dividend Suspension? - Motley Fool - May 11th, 2020
- At Home Access to Adobe Creative Cloud Extended Through July 6 - Webster University Newsroom - May 11th, 2020
- Putting The Cloud Into The Hands Of Enterprises - The Next Platform - May 11th, 2020
- Microsoft is suddenly recommending Google products and I'm worried - ZDNet - May 11th, 2020
- Cloud Content Collaboration Software Market Expand Their Businesses With New Investments In 2020 And Returning Future - Cole of Duty - May 11th, 2020
- Data Discovery and Data Mapping: Are These Automated Software Technologies Effective for LGPD Compliance? - CPO Magazine - May 11th, 2020
- Lenovos $280 Chromebook Duet 2-in-1 tablet hits shelves - SlashGear - May 11th, 2020
- Multi Cloud Storage Solutions Market scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - May 7th, 2020
- Global Personal Cloud Storage Market 2020 by Product Types, Method, Application, End Users, Region, Industry Analysis, Recent Trend and Forecast to... - May 7th, 2020
- MyFax review: Is this the best online fax service? - ITProPortal - May 7th, 2020
- How to upload and manage files on Microsoft Teams - Windows Central - May 7th, 2020
- Storage and database innovation evolve in tandem - TechTarget - May 7th, 2020
- Global cloud IT infrastructure spending to hit $70bn by year-end - Trade Arabia - May 7th, 2020
- The Fairphone ethical smartphone is now available with the Google-less Android /e/OS operating system - ZDNet - May 7th, 2020
- AWS launches the $995 Elemental Link for streaming video to its cloud - TechCrunch - May 7th, 2020
- How to Protect Your Google Drive on iPhone and iPad With Face ID or Touch ID - How-To Geek - May 7th, 2020
- Is Home Working As Good For The Planet As We Think? - Forbes - May 7th, 2020
- Global Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending will Touch $70bn This Year - BusinessGhana - May 7th, 2020
- Royal College of Nursing supports frontline nurses during COVID-19 pandemic with online information hub - RealWire - May 7th, 2020
- Will Governments encourage WFH, e-learning in the future? What does it mean for IT infrastructure development? - Kalkine Media - May 7th, 2020
- 3 Ways Dell Technologies Is 'Raising The Bar' Across Its Partner Program - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - May 7th, 2020
- Free cloud storage: Which providers offer the most space - Android Authority - May 4th, 2020
- Looking to the cloud during lockdown | Industry Trends - IBC365 - May 4th, 2020
- Google Cloud and Coviant Software Work Together for Automating Healthcare Data Transfer and Processing - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- What Is Blockchain Storage and How Does It Work - TechFunnel - May 4th, 2020
- The Economic Impact of Coronavirus on Trends in the Ready To Use Business Cloud Storage Market 2019-2020 - Jewish Life News - May 4th, 2020
- Cloud Robotics Market to 2025 Global Analysis and Forecasts byRockwell Automation, KUKA AG, ABB Group, FANUC - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- your arrival will also bring changes in the management of our chats - Explica - May 4th, 2020
- India's Software Market Growth Down to 4.1% on COVID-19 Impact - EE Times India - May 4th, 2020
- Push the Limits of Flexible and Powerful Analytics - Communal News - May 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Engineering Market 2020 Industry Segmentation, CAGR Status, Leading Trends, and Forecast To 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - May 4th, 2020
- Remote working and the benefits of cloud storage - Dealer Support Magazine - May 2nd, 2020
- Start your free design studio on the cloud - Gadgets Now - May 2nd, 2020
- Decentralized Cloud Network Storj to Offer Five Pentabytes of Data Storage to Organizations Conducting Research Related to Fighting COVID-19 -... - May 2nd, 2020
- Has ON1 Just Come up With a Better Way of Using the Cloud to Synchronize Your Editing Across Different Devices? - Fstoppers - May 2nd, 2020
- Alternatives to Google Photos to save and organize your photos - InTallaght - May 2nd, 2020
- How to download Adobe Creative Cloud, and where to get the best Adobe deals - T3 Australia - May 2nd, 2020
- Hybrid Cloud: the key to digital transformation? - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - May 2nd, 2020
- DRaaS vs. cloud DR: What are the differences? - TechTarget - May 2nd, 2020
- India IT spending forecast to drop to --4.5% in 2020 due to COVID-19 - InfotechLead.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Windows 10 gets a little more G-shaped: G Suite admins can now manage Microsoft's OS, and that includes remote wipe - The Register - May 2nd, 2020
- Australian researchers tap cloud to save the Tasmanian devil - ComputerWeekly.com - May 2nd, 2020
- China's information consumption booms in Q1 - - April 26th, 2020
- NetApp Architects Application-Integrated Data Management for Kubernetes with Project Astra - IT News Online - April 26th, 2020
- Amazon's next best bet to take the $10 billion JEDI cloud deal from Microsoft hinges on a 'wildcard' error in the process after a Pentagon... - April 26th, 2020
- Pixel 3A vs. Moto G7: Which one's the better budget buy? - CNET - April 26th, 2020
- What you can cancel without penalties during lockdown to save money - Mirror Online - April 26th, 2020
- Breaking Down How To Find The Best Cloud Storage Option For You - Donklephant - April 24th, 2020
- AWS announces new single-purpose on-prem hardware and tie-in storage tier - The Register - April 24th, 2020
- Amazon Prospects Touted at 3 Firms as Pandemic Lifts Demand - TheStreet - April 24th, 2020
- These Businesses Are Thriving Amid COVID-19 Crisis - Analytics India Magazine - April 24th, 2020
- Keeping Your Off-Campus Video Collaborations Safe and Stress-Free - University of Arkansas Newswire - April 24th, 2020
- Retrospect 17 Solo review: Backup software that gives you everything - PCWorld - April 24th, 2020