In a little under a year, DeFi has become a significant component of the cryptocurrency ecosystem. But which platforms pay the most interest?
Decentralized finance is often hailed as a prime use case for digital assets. Lending practices among DeFi platforms follow similar patterns: loans are overcollateralized, meaning the risk of default is negligible and lending is more responsible than that of the fractional reserve banking system used by legacy lending institutions.
As global interest rates hover around zero to negative yield, digital assets can offer an alternative way of generating passive income. Crypto.coms eye-popping 18 percent annualized returns on CRO tokens locked up for three months by MCO token holders are undoubtedly appealing on the surface.
But these returns can come with risks. CRO tokens, of course, can depreciate in value, easily chipping away at the returns over the lock-up period. With many entrants in the market, a side-by-side comparison of lending rates can help crypto hodlers keep track of where they can earn the highest rates of interest.
BlockFi bears the most resemblance to a traditional bank inasmuch as its centralized nature makes it the trusted party between lenders and borrowers. Zac Princes company pays 4.1 percent on Ether deposits and 6.2 percent on Bitcoin deposits. Limits are capped at 1,000 and 10, respectively, before the rates drop.
The platform that provides access to high-interest crypto accounts and low-cost credit products to clients worldwide also pays 8.6 percent on GUSD.
Celsius pays 4.1 and 3.15 percent on Bitcoin and Ether deposits, while also supporting Tether at a staggering 12 percent. Unlike BlockFi, Celsius pays interest on deposited crypto and allows users to also borrow directly against those holdings. BlockFi distinguishes between crypto deposited for loan collateral and crypto deposited to earn interest.
The BitGo-secured platform pays single-digit interest rates on a range of cryptocurrencies, including XRP, Dash, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash to name a few. CEL token owners earn favorable rates. Having originated over $4 billion in loans, it claims to be the largest DeFi player in the industry.
Nuo is a Singapore-based purely peer-to-peer facilitator of loans and deposits between crypto traders, making it distinct from the more centralized and regulated players like BlockFi. The platform offers a limited suite of tokens for which it provides lending and borrowing markets. SNX tokens pay a whopping 27.6 percent, almost double the rate to borrow the token.
Courtesy of Nuo
From its inauspicious beginnings as Monaco Coin, the double-tokened Crypto.com is on a mission to accelerate the worlds transition to cryptocurrency. The platform is not just a pure DeFi company, however, offering credit cards, a wallet, quant trading services, and a recently launched exchange.
The ambitious firm also offers highly attractive rates to digital asset lenders. It has a sizeable and growing stable of coins for which it offers attractive rates to depositors in its Crypto Earn program.
Courtesy of Crypto.com
The company pays up to 12 percent on some stablecoins, and up to 18 percent on its native CRO token. Preferential rates are offered to holders of its other native token, MCO.
Nexo is a more conventional DeFi platform offering lending and overcollateralized borrowing. Interest is compounded and paid out to lenders daily. Currently, the firm supports stablecoins and fiat only, with an 8 percent interest payout across the U.S. dollar, Euro, and the British pound, in addition to stablecoins TUSD, SAI, PAX, USDC, and Tether.
In contrast to many of its competitors, it holds depositors fiat and stablecoins and allows borrowers to borrow non-pegged crypto. It also allows crypto hodlers to deposit crypto to borrow more. Non-pegged crypto depositors dont earn any interest on their crypto holdings, but they can borrow crypto, using their deposits as collateral.
Exchanges are now offering interest-bearing products. Binance offers ten percent annualized interest on BUSD holdings over a 14-day fixed loan period. For BNB, it pays 6 percent. Its flexible deposit rates are far less attractive. Poloniex also offers a way to earn interest on crypto holdings, by matching lenders and borrowers. Bitfinex pays interest on certain tokens.
Just as DeFi platforms are beginning to offer trading services, exchanges are beginning to offer decentralized finance facilities as competition in the industry intensifies.
Different digital asset holders have different risk profiles. The most important aspects of a DeFi company to consider apart from the rates they offer are where they are located, how and by whom they are regulated, and how credible and established they are in the industry.
All DeFi companies are startups, so counterparty risk where someone potentially loses their principal because the company receiving the loan fails will be present, for the short term at least. The most established among them, and those regulated and insured should be regarded as more conservative and safer places for your money. Licensed and regulated startups in stable jurisdictions can fail. But it is reasonable to place more trust in them than in less regulated companies.
See the rest here:
Best Places to Earn Interest on Your Cryptocurrency - Crypto Briefing
- Explainer: What is 'LBCOIN,' the new Lithuanian state-backed cryptocurrency? - Euronews - July 9th, 2020
- Withum partners with Bitpay to accept cryptocurrency - NJBIZ - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency News Update: XRP and ADA on fire, BTC lags behind - FXStreet - July 9th, 2020
- Kaspersky Fraud Prevention helps Indacoin halt fraudulent operations with cryptocurrency - CRN.in - July 9th, 2020
- Cardano Becomes 6th Largest Cryptocurrency As Charles Hoskinson Pushes for Unity in Emerging Blockchain Industry - The Daily Hodl - July 9th, 2020
- There are now 13173 BTC millionaires around the world - Nairametrics - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency as an alternative during times of inflation - ITProPortal - July 8th, 2020
- The lawfulness of cryptocurrency mining in Bulgaria - Lexology - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency-Focused Docuseries Airs to Millions of Viewers via the Discovery Science Channel - Bitcoin News - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Twitter users can send Bitcoin and crypto to each other thanks to a new service - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- What are Cryptocurrency Signals and their role in trading - TechGenyz - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Cardano to the moon as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple stall - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Owned - July 8th, 2020
- New Token Listing Alert: Levolution's LEVL Token is Officially Live on Changelly - PRNewswire - July 8th, 2020
- The Profitability of Cryptocurrency Bitcoin Now and in the Future - Chiang Rai Times - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano grew by 10% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency trading vs. forex: The similarities and differences - AZ Big Media - June 25th, 2020
- Financial Inclusion, Cryptocurrency and the Developing World - Cointelegraph - June 25th, 2020
- Phishing and cryptocurrency scams squashed as one million emails are reported to new anti-scam hotline - ZDNet - June 25th, 2020
- 83% of BTCs addresses are smiling to the Bank - Nairametrics - June 25th, 2020
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 25th, 2020
- Miners Are Sending Bitcoins to Exchanges Again and That May Be Bearish - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 25th, 2020
- NetCents Technology paves the way for mainstream cryptocurrency adoption by offering daily settlements to merchants - Proactive Investors USA &... - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 25th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Bitmain, NVIDIA, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Ripple, Bitfury, Ethereum Foundation, CoinBase,... - June 25th, 2020
- EY Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Cryptocurrency Reporting App - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 16th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Regulations in times of COVID-19: A boon or bane to India? - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Are CryptoCurrencies The Future Of Finance? - Digital Information World - June 16th, 2020
- Nevermind Coinbase Big Brother Is Already Watching Your Coins - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Fireblocks integrates with Chainalysis to set a new compliance and security standard for financial institutions and cryptocurrency businesses -... - June 16th, 2020
- Creating A Crypto-Exchange - The Types & The Steps - YourStory - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin and the rest of cryptos following the global stock market - FXStreet - June 16th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cryptocurrency Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: ZEB IT Service, Coinsecure, Coinbase, Bitstamp, Litecoin,... - June 16th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - WorldsTrend - June 16th, 2020
- Justice Gets 15 Guilty Pleas for International Crime Ring that Laundered Money Through Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Nextgov - June 13th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Suddenly Dropped 6% on Thursday - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $9,100, the rest of the market follows suit - FXStreet - June 13th, 2020
- Due to COVID-19 Cryptocurrency Market Groundwork 2020: Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Global Market Trends Forecast... - June 13th, 2020
- Binance Launches Quarterly BTC/USD Futures With Up To 125x Leverage - Benzinga - June 13th, 2020
- CashTelex Is Driving Mainstream Crypto Adoption Through Its Brand New Physical Asset-Backed Cryptocurrency CTLX - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- Chainalysis Partners with A&D Forensics, Expanding Access to its Cryptocurrency Investigative Tools in Africa - bitcoinke.io - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Can Become a Medicine to Treat the Challenges Caused by Covid-19 - Coin Idol - June 13th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR by 2025 Top Players: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc, Russian Miner Coin, Halong... - June 13th, 2020
- The emerging world of cryptocurrency - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 13th, 2020
- Someone paid $2.6 million in fees to move $134 worth of crypto and oops - Mashable - June 11th, 2020
- 80% of US and European Institutional Investors Find Cryptocurrency Appealing: Survey - Bitcoin News - June 11th, 2020
- Zilliqa, the fast-rising cryptocurrency that has gained more than 845% since March - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency misappropriation, hacking, theft and fraud on target for banner year - JD Supra - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Quotes and Forecasts: Last Updates on Cryptocurrencies - FinSMEs - June 11th, 2020
- Europol busts $17 million illegal Netflix site that used cryptocurrency - Decrypt - June 11th, 2020
- Watch | What is crypto-jacking? - The Hindu - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Capital Gains: The Sources of Vermont Candidates' Wealth - Seven Days - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market 2020 | Scope of Current and Future Industry 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - June 11th, 2020
- Meet ZCash, the cryptocurrency that protects your privacy better than Bitcoin - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Riot Blockchain Continues Optimization of Mining Operations - AiThority - June 11th, 2020
- GPU as a Service Market to Witness Remarkable Gains From Cryptocurrency Mining Applications 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: IOTA rockets to the moon Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum in consolidation - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- The Bull & The Bear: Dispelling, Confirming Myths and Truths About Crypto - Money and Markets - June 11th, 2020
- Trio of Analysts Bullish on Ethereum (ETH) As Cryptocurrency Shows Robust Fundamentals - The Daily Hodl - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin needs to settle above $10,600 to avoid the sell-off - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- Regulating cryptocurrency exchanges - The Indian Express - June 2nd, 2020
- Russia Sort Of Dropped The Hammer On Bitcoin, Crypto - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Indian Crypto Exchanges Witness Surge In New Users, Bitcoin Sees $1000 Spike & More - Inc42 Media - June 2nd, 2020
- SEC Wins Terminating Sanctions Against Cryptocurrency Creator - Law Street Media - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies and Online Gaming: 4 Use Cases - the blockchain land - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Its a sea of red in the crypto market today - FXStreet - June 2nd, 2020
- Japanese Finance Minister May Be Opposed to Lowering Tax on Crypto - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Vietnam-Based Fiat-to-Crypto Trading Support Added to Bvnex Exchange | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- Crypto.com Becomes the First Cryptocurrency Company in the World to Achieve ISO/IEC 27701:2019 Certification - WFMZ Allentown - June 2nd, 2020
- Todays cache | Crypto-jacking, and more - The Hindu - June 2nd, 2020