Bitcoin, the first and leading cryptocurrency in terms of trading volume and market capitalisation, went through its third halving on May 11 2020. This major adjustment to how the cryptocurrency operates has only happened twice before and happens every four years. But what does this actually mean and what impact will it have?
Q: how does bitcoin work?
Bitcoin is a digital currency that makes use of blockchain technology to store and record all transactions. First proposed in a white paper published online in 2008 by a mysterious person (or group of people) called Satoshi Nakamoto. The unique features of bitcoin compared to fiat currencies like dollars or pounds are that there is no central authority or bank. Each member of the network has equal power. This decentralised network is completely transparent and all transactions can be read on the blockchain. At the same time it offers privacy in terms of who owns the cryptocurrency.
Bitcoins are created (or mined) by so-called miners who contribute computing power to securing the network, as well as processing transactions on the network by solving complex mathematical puzzles through computational power. These miners are rewarded for their work processing the transactions on the blockchain with bitcoins. But to combat inflation, Nakamoto wrote into the code that the total number of bitcoins that will ever exist will be 21 million. Right now there are 18.38 million.
The first ever block recorded on the bitcoin blockchain was on January 3 2009 where Nakamoto received 50 bitcoins. In the white paper, Nakamoto specified that after every 210,000 blocks the reward for miners will half. So the first halving took place on November 28 2012 where the miners reward was reduced from 50 bitcoins to 25 bitcoins. The second halving was on July 9 2016 and the miners reward was reduced from 25 bitcoins to 12.5 bitcoins. And the third, most recent halving on May 11 2020 means bitcoin miners now receive 6.25 bitcoins.
Q: Why does bitcoin halve?
Nakamoto has never explained explicitly the reasons behind the halving. Some speculate the halving system was designed to distribute coins more quickly at the beginning to incentive people to join the network and mine new blocks. Block rewards are programmed to halve at regular intervals because the value of each coin rewarded is deemed likely to increase as the network expanded. However, this may lead to users holding bitcoin as a speculative asset rather than using it as a medium of exchange.
Q: What impact does halving have on bitcoin?
The obvious impact is that the amount of newly mined bitcoins per day will fall from about 1,800 to 900 bitcoins and the daily revenue of miners will reduce by half. This decrease in the rate of bitcoin creation tightens supply and some argue will lead to a bullish market and an increase in the price of bitcoin.
Meanwhile, the reduction of revenue for miners may squeeze out miners who are least efficient and therefore the computing power connected to the Bitcoin network may fall significantly.
The previous two halvings led to the most dramatic bull runs in Bitcoins history, although initially there was a brief sell-off. Marcus Swanepoel, co-founder and CEO of Luno, a cryptocurrency wallet which lets you store and carry out bitcoin transactions, believes that bitcoin may achieve a growth of 270% between this and the fourth halving in 2024.
Q: How is coronavirus affecting things?
Although bitcoin has gained more than 20% since the beginning of the year, where this halving may differ from its predecessors is the volatile and uncertain economic environment that it has taken place in. The International Monetry Fund predicted a 3% shrinking of global growth in its April forecast and this is expected to fall further. In the UK, the Bank of England has projected a decrease of 30% in the countrys GDP during the first half of 2020.
Some argue that bitcoins scarcity makes it a potential hedge against fiat currencies that are vulnerable to devaluation in times of economic crisis. But others believe the halving wont necessarily boost its price as people knew the halving was going to happen so it should be already priced into the market activity.
The only certainty is that the growth of new bitcoins has halved. It remains to be seen what impact this will have on the price and interest of this cryptocurrency.
Correction: a previous version of this article incorrectly said Michael Dubrovsky speculated the halving system was designed to distribute coins more quickly at the beginning to incentive people to join the network and mine new blocks.
- Bitcoin Exchanges And The Cryptocurrency World Was Just Rocked - JD Supra - July 11th, 2020
- New York Court Approves Investigation Into $10 Billion Cryptocurrency Created By A Presidential Candidate - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Huobi Global Provides Insight on What Is Driving the Institutional Interest in Cryptocurrency Investment - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- What Challenges Affect the Cost of Running a Cryptocurrency Exchange - Cointelegraph - July 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 11th, 2020
- Fast Pace of Cryptocurrency Adoption in Latin America May be due to Dramatic Rise in Smartphone Users, Bitso Executive Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - July 11th, 2020
- NetCents teams up with crypto fintech company to utilize US$1.4 billion credit facility - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - July 11th, 2020
- Explainer: What is 'LBCOIN,' the new Lithuanian state-backed cryptocurrency? - Euronews - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency News Update: XRP and ADA on fire, BTC lags behind - FXStreet - July 9th, 2020
- Kaspersky Fraud Prevention helps Indacoin halt fraudulent operations with cryptocurrency - CRN.in - July 9th, 2020
- Cardano Becomes 6th Largest Cryptocurrency As Charles Hoskinson Pushes for Unity in Emerging Blockchain Industry - The Daily Hodl - July 9th, 2020
- There are now 13173 BTC millionaires around the world - Nairametrics - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency as an alternative during times of inflation - ITProPortal - July 8th, 2020
- The lawfulness of cryptocurrency mining in Bulgaria - Lexology - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency-Focused Docuseries Airs to Millions of Viewers via the Discovery Science Channel - Bitcoin News - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Twitter users can send Bitcoin and crypto to each other thanks to a new service - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- What are Cryptocurrency Signals and their role in trading - TechGenyz - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Cardano to the moon as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple stall - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Owned - July 8th, 2020
- New Token Listing Alert: Levolution's LEVL Token is Officially Live on Changelly - PRNewswire - July 8th, 2020
- The Profitability of Cryptocurrency Bitcoin Now and in the Future - Chiang Rai Times - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano grew by 10% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency trading vs. forex: The similarities and differences - AZ Big Media - June 25th, 2020
- Financial Inclusion, Cryptocurrency and the Developing World - Cointelegraph - June 25th, 2020
- Phishing and cryptocurrency scams squashed as one million emails are reported to new anti-scam hotline - ZDNet - June 25th, 2020
- 83% of BTCs addresses are smiling to the Bank - Nairametrics - June 25th, 2020
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 25th, 2020
- Miners Are Sending Bitcoins to Exchanges Again and That May Be Bearish - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 25th, 2020
- NetCents Technology paves the way for mainstream cryptocurrency adoption by offering daily settlements to merchants - Proactive Investors USA &... - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 25th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Bitmain, NVIDIA, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Ripple, Bitfury, Ethereum Foundation, CoinBase,... - June 25th, 2020
- EY Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Cryptocurrency Reporting App - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 16th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Regulations in times of COVID-19: A boon or bane to India? - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Are CryptoCurrencies The Future Of Finance? - Digital Information World - June 16th, 2020
- Nevermind Coinbase Big Brother Is Already Watching Your Coins - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Fireblocks integrates with Chainalysis to set a new compliance and security standard for financial institutions and cryptocurrency businesses -... - June 16th, 2020
- Creating A Crypto-Exchange - The Types & The Steps - YourStory - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin and the rest of cryptos following the global stock market - FXStreet - June 16th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cryptocurrency Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: ZEB IT Service, Coinsecure, Coinbase, Bitstamp, Litecoin,... - June 16th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - WorldsTrend - June 16th, 2020
- Justice Gets 15 Guilty Pleas for International Crime Ring that Laundered Money Through Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Nextgov - June 13th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Suddenly Dropped 6% on Thursday - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $9,100, the rest of the market follows suit - FXStreet - June 13th, 2020
- Due to COVID-19 Cryptocurrency Market Groundwork 2020: Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Global Market Trends Forecast... - June 13th, 2020
- Binance Launches Quarterly BTC/USD Futures With Up To 125x Leverage - Benzinga - June 13th, 2020
- CashTelex Is Driving Mainstream Crypto Adoption Through Its Brand New Physical Asset-Backed Cryptocurrency CTLX - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- Chainalysis Partners with A&D Forensics, Expanding Access to its Cryptocurrency Investigative Tools in Africa - bitcoinke.io - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Can Become a Medicine to Treat the Challenges Caused by Covid-19 - Coin Idol - June 13th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR by 2025 Top Players: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc, Russian Miner Coin, Halong... - June 13th, 2020
- The emerging world of cryptocurrency - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 13th, 2020
- Someone paid $2.6 million in fees to move $134 worth of crypto and oops - Mashable - June 11th, 2020
- 80% of US and European Institutional Investors Find Cryptocurrency Appealing: Survey - Bitcoin News - June 11th, 2020
- Zilliqa, the fast-rising cryptocurrency that has gained more than 845% since March - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency misappropriation, hacking, theft and fraud on target for banner year - JD Supra - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Quotes and Forecasts: Last Updates on Cryptocurrencies - FinSMEs - June 11th, 2020
- Europol busts $17 million illegal Netflix site that used cryptocurrency - Decrypt - June 11th, 2020
- Watch | What is crypto-jacking? - The Hindu - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Capital Gains: The Sources of Vermont Candidates' Wealth - Seven Days - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market 2020 | Scope of Current and Future Industry 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - June 11th, 2020
- Meet ZCash, the cryptocurrency that protects your privacy better than Bitcoin - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Riot Blockchain Continues Optimization of Mining Operations - AiThority - June 11th, 2020
- GPU as a Service Market to Witness Remarkable Gains From Cryptocurrency Mining Applications 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: IOTA rockets to the moon Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum in consolidation - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- The Bull & The Bear: Dispelling, Confirming Myths and Truths About Crypto - Money and Markets - June 11th, 2020
- Trio of Analysts Bullish on Ethereum (ETH) As Cryptocurrency Shows Robust Fundamentals - The Daily Hodl - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin needs to settle above $10,600 to avoid the sell-off - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- Regulating cryptocurrency exchanges - The Indian Express - June 2nd, 2020
- Russia Sort Of Dropped The Hammer On Bitcoin, Crypto - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Indian Crypto Exchanges Witness Surge In New Users, Bitcoin Sees $1000 Spike & More - Inc42 Media - June 2nd, 2020
- SEC Wins Terminating Sanctions Against Cryptocurrency Creator - Law Street Media - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 2nd, 2020