Bitcoin fellto its lowest price of 2018 in June, having experienced its worst start to a year since the cryptocurrency was founded, however it is showing signs of recovery.
The value of bitcoinrose more than twenty-fold in 2017, generating huge amounts of interest in cryptocurrencies like ethereum and bitcoin cash.
After peaking at close to $20,000 in December, bitcoin's value fell to below $10,000 within a matter of weeks. This precipitated a market-wide crash other leading cryptocurrencies tumble.
Its price is expected to continue to fluctuate unpredictably, and this live blog will be regularly updated with the latest news and significant changes.
::The Independents bitcoin group is the best place to follow the latest discussions and developments in cryptocurrency. Join for the latest on how people are making money and how theyre losing it.
Unfortunately for the rest of the top five cryptocurrencies, the overall market has suffered from heavy losses since this time yesterday. Ethereum, ripple, bitcoin cash and EOS all fell by between 2 and 6 per cent.
Bitcoin has sustained its recent rally, holding above $7,300 since its 10 per cent price surge earlier this week.
The second major price surge this week has helped take bitcoin above $7,000 for the first time since early June.
Read more about the latest gains and other cryptocurrency market news here:
The price of bitcoin surged by more than $300 since this time yesterday, as news that BlackRock may be planning something major.
Bitcoin's continued resurgence received a boost following news that investment firm BlackRock is looking to move into the cryptocurrency space.
The cryptocurrency rose4 per cent in value, takingthe digital currency back above $6,600 still well below its 2017 high, when it peaked at close to $20,000.
The rest of the top five cryptocurrencies saw similar gains, with EOS rising by more than 4 per cent over the last 24 hours.
As cryptocurrency continues to struggle to really break into the mainstream, two new devices could go some way towards addressing that.
The Finney Phone by Sirin Labs and the HTC Exodus both claim to be the world's first blockchain smartphone,offering in-built cryptocurrency wallets and the possibility of decentralised applications that could "reshape the internet."
Read more about the Finney phone here:
And the HTC Exodus here:
All other major cryptocurrencies experienced a similar fate, with all of the top five falling by between 1 and 5 per cent.
As bitcoin's price remains relatively stable between $6,000 and $7,000, some cryptocurrency experts are making a case for its functionality as a mainstream currency.
A new study by researchers at Imperial College London say bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are the logical "next step" for moneyand are close to becoming a proper form of payment.
Read the full story here:
EOS saw the biggest losses, falling by more than 11 per cent over the last 24 hours.
Other major cryptocurrencies followed bitcoin's lead, however all of the top five suffered a slight dip over the last 24 hours, dropping by between 1 and 5 per cent in value.
Bitcoin is enjoying a relative period of stability, having hovered around the $6,500 price point for the past few days.
This has been reflected across the cryptocurrency market, with all of the top five cryptocurrencies remaining relatively stable since the start of the week.
The price of bitcoin dipped slightly over the last 24 hours but still remains well above its recent low.
The top five digital currencies rose between 5 and 15 per cent over the last 24 hours, marking the biggest gains in over a month.
The price of bitcoin has shot up once again, with the cryptocurrency now closing in on $7,000.
Read the full story here:
Bitcoin experienced a mini price surge over the weekend, rising by $400 in a matter of hours to jump back above $6,000.
The price of bitcoin has crashed below $6,000, falling by 4 per cent over the last 24 hoursto hit its lowest level since November 2017.
All other major cryptocurrencies saw gains of between 0.5 and 5 per cent since this time yesterday.
As bitcoin's price continues its free-fall, there are signs of hope.
Famed venture capitalist firm Andreessen Horowitz is launching a $300 million crypto fund and doesn't plan to sell its cryptocurrency assets for at least another five years.
Read the full story here:
Banning cryptocurrency ads has been a popular move among technology giants, with Facebook, Google and Twitter all introducing strict rules this year.
Facebook has now decided to reverse its decision, once again prompting rumours that it is planning something major in the cryptocurrency space. Experts tellThe Independentthat this could be anything from acquiring the bitcoin exchange Coinbase, or even launching its own virtual currency.
Read the full story here:
Please allow a moment for the live blog to load.
After hitting a record high of more than $19,850 (14,214) in mid-December,bitcoins value tumbled to $12,000 (8,630) within days.
On 3 January, 2009, the genesis block of bitcoin appeared. It came less than a year after the pseudonymous creator Satoshi Nakamoto detailed the cryptocurrency in a paper titled 'Bitcoin: A peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System'
On 22 May, 2010, the first ever real-world bitcoin transaction took place. Lazlo Hanyecz bought two pizzas for 10,000 bitcoins the equivalent of $90 million at today's prices
Bitcoin soon gained notoriety for its use on the dark web. The Silk Road marketplace, established in 2011, was the first of hundreds of sites to offer illegal drugs and services in exchange for bitcoin
On 29 October, 2013, the first ever bitcoin ATM was installed in a coffee shop in Vancouver, Canada. The machine allowed people to exchange bitcoins for cash
The world's biggest bitcoin exchange, MtGox, filed for bankruptcy in February 2014 after losing almost 750,000 of its customers bitcoins. At the time, this was around 7 per cent of all bitcoins and the market inevitably crashed
In 2015, Australian police raided the home of Craig Wright after the entrepreneur claimed he was Satoshi Nakamoto. He later rescinded the claim
On 1 August, 2017, an unresolvable dispute within the bitcoin community saw the network split. The fork of bitcoin's underlying blockchain technology spawned a new cryptocurrency: Bitcoin cash
See the original post here:
Bitcoin price live: Latest updates as cryptocurrency ...
- Research: Ether Was the Cryptocurrency Most Correlated to Other Coins in 2019 - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Regulating Bitcoin: WEF2020 Announced A Global Consortium For Cryptocurrency Governance - CryptoPotato - January 27th, 2020
- This Top Cryptocurrency Got 51% Attacked. Yet, Its Up 19% And Its a Problem - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- It's tax season and the IRS wants to know about your crypto. How to prepare - CNBC - January 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum dive into the rabbit holes - FXStreet - January 27th, 2020
- Coinbase Set to Pass $8,400,000,000 Bitcoin Milestone, Outperforming All Cryptocurrency Exchanges With Highest Amount of BTC - The Daily Hodl - January 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency mining in Iran to boost economic conditions - Cryptopolitan - January 27th, 2020
- Creator of Cryptocurrency Price Tracking App Wins India PM Award - Altcoin Buzz - January 27th, 2020
- Alleged BTC-e boss will be extradited to France over cryptocurrency fraud - The Next Web - January 27th, 2020
- Price Analysis: Discovering the Top Cryptocurrency Market Performers This Week - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - January 27th, 2020
- Trend Micro creates honeypot to analyse security threats, gets subjected to ransomware & cryptocurrency mining - Economic Times - January 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Hackers Were More Active in 2019, but Were Less Successful - CryptoGlobe - January 27th, 2020
- Bank of England to consider adopting cryptocurrency - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Hits $9,000, Institutional Cryptocurrency Investment Spikes, NBA Team Uses Ethereum - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- How Cybercriminals Are Converting Cryptocurrency to Cash - BankInfoSecurity.com - January 22nd, 2020
- UK offers $130K for software that can trace Bitcoin, Ethereum, and (hopefully) Monero - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Hackers have got their hands on $11 billion in stolen cryptocurrency since 2011 - SmartCompany.com.au - January 22nd, 2020
- Thailand launches probe into $2.46M cryptocurrency pyramid scam - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Moonday Mornings: Its 2020 and the OneCoin scam is still alive - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- $140,600,000 in Bitcoin (BTC) Exits Cryptocurrency Exchange As Whale Moves $6,320,422 in XRP - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency No longer banned in India? - The Coin Republic - January 22nd, 2020
- Akons AKOIN Cryptocurrency City White Paper to be Live by February 2020 - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - January 22nd, 2020
- BTC/USD: Will 2020 Bring Clear Vision to the Oldest Cryptocurrency? - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Two-day recovery on the rocks as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple trim gains - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bulls hit the pause button, altcoins follow the lead - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency billionaire funds SF-wide web of cameras to help fight crime - KRON4 - January 16th, 2020
- North Korea is Holding a Secretive Cryptocurrency Conference, and Experts Warn it's a Very Bad Idea to Attend - Newsweek - January 16th, 2020
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP/USD capitalizes on the global cryptocurrency bulls' run - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin rises as cryptocurrency has its best January since 2012 - SiliconANGLE News - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Remittance: The Case of Mexico - Crypto Education - Altcoin Buzz - January 16th, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) - Based Cryptocurrency Tested By The Reserve Bank of Australia as Payment Tool - U.Today - January 16th, 2020
- $1.4B in illicit Bitcoin was laundered via Binance and Huobi last year, report says - The Next Web - January 16th, 2020
- How to minimize the cryptocurrency tax burden this tax season - Canadian Lawyer Magazine - January 16th, 2020
- The future of cryptocurrency - Lexology - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst: Bitcoin Will Skyrocket to $100,000 in 24 Months and Theres Nothing You Can Do About It - CCN.com - January 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Slowly Recovers as Buyers Fail to Emerge - Coin Idol - January 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Has Earned Its Place as a Safe Haven - Investorplace.com - January 13th, 2020
- eToro CEO On Bitcoin Dominance in the Cryptocurrency Market - The Coin Republic - January 13th, 2020
- Moonday Mornings: Ethereum dev released on $1M bail over North Korea case - The Next Web - January 13th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Is Up Almost 500% Over The Past 12 Months - Forbes - January 12th, 2020
- What to expect from cryptocurrency legislation in 2020 - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2020
- South Korea Moves Toward Institutional Acceptance of Cryptocurrency - Nasdaq - January 12th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Cap May Surge 37%. But There's One 'If' - U.Today - January 12th, 2020
- Financial Services Agency to limit leverage in cryptocurrency margin trading to twice the deposits made by traders - The Japan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Naive IoT botnet wastes its time mining cryptocurrency - ZDNet - January 12th, 2020
- Directors of bogus Ugandan cryptocurrency startup charged after 4,000 investor complaints - The Next Web - January 12th, 2020
- Can digital gold Bitcoin ever be mined in India? - ETCIO.com - January 12th, 2020
- 321 Cryptocurrency Whales Control Staggering Amounts of Bitcoin, Ethereum And Litecoin - The Daily Hodl - January 12th, 2020
- Why the Worlds Most Used Cryptocurrency isnt Bitcoin - NewsLogical - January 12th, 2020
- South Korea Works to Bring Cryptocurrency Into the Mainstream - The Diplomat - January 5th, 2020
- Most Significant Hacks of 2019 New Record of Twelve in One Year - Cointelegraph - January 5th, 2020
- Why a Technical Analyst Believes Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Will Surge by 80% - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- Why Analysts Are Bullish On Cryptocurrency As Bitcoin Turns 11 - Ethereum World News - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin is on the Cusp of a Major Price Movement - Crypto Briefing - January 5th, 2020
- 7 Big Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Predictions for 2020 - The Daily Hodl - January 5th, 2020
- China and Russia begin testing cryptocurrency - Born2Invest - January 5th, 2020
- Ethereum Foundation is an opaque Swiss foundation related to cryptocurrency - AMBCrypto - January 5th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Arab World: Clock is Ticking, But Pace is Slow - Finance Magnates - January 5th, 2020
- National Governments Around The Globe Look To Embrace Blockchain - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Chinas Dichotomy Between Cryptocurrency And Blockchain - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- What Is a Cryptocurrency? We Need Clearer Definitions - Coindesk - December 31st, 2019
- Ian Balina, The Controversial Face Of Cryptocurrency - Nasdaq - December 31st, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: YouTube Removes Crypto Videos; Russia Bomb Threats Over A Bitcoin Fraud And More - Inc42 Media - December 31st, 2019
- How To Really Help Free North Koreans Through Crypto - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- The Dividing of Bitcoin to shake markets of cryptocurrency - Market Research Sheets - December 28th, 2019
- The $3 Bilion Bitcoin Dump Isnt Going to Happen - newsBTC - December 27th, 2019
- Googles YouTube Goes To War With Bitcoin And Crypto - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- Top five cryptocurrency guides of 2019 - Yahoo Finance - December 26th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency is a tool for speculation not an investment - The Globe and Mail - December 26th, 2019
- Rakuten Wallet Will Allow Users to Convert Their Loyalty Points to Cryptocurrency - CryptoVibes - December 26th, 2019
- Top China Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Headlines of 2019 - Crowdfund Insider - December 26th, 2019
- How to Make Money with Cryptocurrency: Beginner's Guide 2019 - December 24th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Market News - Bitcoin and Altcoins News - December 24th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency For Beginners - CryptoCurrency Facts - December 24th, 2019
- Crypto Legislation 2020: Analysis Of 21 Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Bills In Congress - Forbes - December 24th, 2019
- This Trader Sees No Value in Ripple and Its Cryptocurrency XRP - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Why XRP Isnt Surging in Tandem With Rest of the Cryptocurrency Market - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Hackers steal $480,000 worth of NULS cryptocurrency from its dev team - The Next Web - December 24th, 2019
- How VeChain Cryptocurrency Was Able to Track and Freeze $6.1M of Stolen Funds - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- This bizarre anime cryptocurrency is now ranked 12 in the world - Decrypt - December 24th, 2019