A year ago, the idea that Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies were going to change the world was becoming the consensus opinion. Today, not so much.
The digital currencynow trades below $5,000. Its 77% off its high near $20,000 in January. Other cryptos are collapsing, too.
Blockchain technology, cryptocurrency mining. Server roomGetty
There is a catalyst. People who follow digital tokens blame thehard forkof Bitcoin Cash. The smaller, namesake cryptocurrency is itself a fork of Bitcoin proper. But last week, its developers and miners could not agree on the future of the digital token. So they decided to split into two competing cryptos, Bitcoin ABC and Bitcoin Satoshis Vision (SV).
If that seems like an inherently bad idea, it is. Bitcoin is an open source project. Developers are free to duplicate the base code and create cryptocurrencies at will. And they have. As of November 2018, there are 2,502 cryptocurrencies, according to alistcompiled at Investing.com. The cumulative market capitalization of these tokens is $142 billion, although it had been much higher.
Forgive me. Im burying the lede. The problem with Bitcoin, and cryptocurrency in general, is not forking. Its that developers should not be able tocreatecurrency, at all.
I began writing inJanuarythat cryptocurrencies were where the internet was in the dot-com era, and inFebruarythat most of these thousands of cryptos were headed to zero. At the time, it was not a popular position. I prefaced my view on two things every potential investor needs to understand about me too digital coins: There is no use case, and worse, its unlikely they will ever represent a store of value.
Keep in mind, many things can represent a store of value. Collectibles like art, baseball cards and signed memorabilia immediately come to mind. Cryptocurrencies, at least the vast majority of them, will never be that.
Bill Harris, a former chief executive officer atPayPal, made headlines in August when he wrote atRecode: OK, Ill say it: Bitcoin is a scam.
Harris argues Bitcoin is a pump-and-dump scheme, where promoters push up the value of dubious investments with hype and relentless advocacy. As the price surges and enthusiasm is greatest, they dump everything, leaving unsuspecting investors holding worthless securities.
Admittedly, I have made this case about so-called alternative coins. Investing in an Initial Coin Offering is like speculating in a highly promoted junior gold mining company where the prospect of finding actual gold is nil. There will be price volatility and plenty of promises made. But in the end, the investment is worthless. And it was always going to be worthless.
But Harris is conflating Bitcoin with alternative coins. That is a mistake, I believe.
A pure digital currency is a good idea.It takes power away from central authority. The problem is oversupply. There are currently too many coins and too many charlatans.
This will pass. The Securities and Exchange Commission will round up the fraudsters. Their fake investment premises will lead to a great reckoning. Most ICOs will go to zero because they will be unable to pass the test of legitimate government oversight.
That could leave Bitcoin as one of the last digital coins standing. When that happens, my guess is it will ultimately be more valuable than it is today. However, there is plenty of pain ahead as pump-and-dump schemes are uncovered, and most coins collapse souring the mood for all their peers.
The play for stock investors is blockchain, Bitcoins cryptographic infrastructure
Ultimately, this digital ledger system is going to find its way into global supply chains and financial services because it systematically removes middling trusted agents for verification.
Blockchain will make legions of accountants, lawyers and back office personnel redundant.
IDC, a global information technology research firm, sees blockchain as part of alarger digital transformation. The shift could be worth $7 trillion by 2022.
Microsoftwas an early convert to the power of blockchain. Itbegan workingwith financial services start-ups in 2016. More recently, the Redmond, Wash., software giant has been touting the scalability of its Azure cloud computing platform to run ledger systems. The company is even working on a blockchain-as-a-service tool.
Shares trade at 20x forward earnings. The market capitalization has come down to $780 billion in the last leg of the tech wreck. The stock would be a great pickup in the low $90s.
- Five New Year's Resolutions For Cryptocurrency - Forbes - January 16th, 2021
- Why Cryptocurrency Stocks Crashed Today - Motley Fool - January 16th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Hackers Steal $3.8 Billion in 2020 - OCCRP - January 16th, 2021
- Bitcoin Tops $40,000 for the First Time, Pushing the Value of the Worlds Cryptocurrency Over $1 Trillion - Robb Report - January 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's value plummets. Here's what it means for your taxes - CNBC - January 14th, 2021
- UK Treasury Calls for Feedback on Approach to Cryptocurrency and Stablecoin Regulation - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2021
- Lost Passwords Lock Millionaires Out of Their Bitcoin Fortunes - The New York Times - January 14th, 2021
- Amid all the Bitcoin hype, another Indian cryptocurrency startup CoinSwitch Kuber gets $15 million in funding - Business Insider India - January 14th, 2021
- This cryptocurrency has more than doubled in 2021: Know all about it - CNBCTV18 - January 14th, 2021
- What does the stars have in store for cryptocurrency? Astrologer tells all - IOL - January 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin hits new all-time high of $41000 as investors shrug off recent volatility and pile into cryptocurrency - Business Insider - January 8th, 2021
- What is a hot wallet for cryptocurrency? Everything you need to know - TechRadar - January 8th, 2021
- OCC Regulator Implements Groundbreaking Cryptocurrency Guidance For Banks And The Future Of Payments - Forbes - January 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency trade may be more action-packed in 2021, say analysts - Business Standard - January 8th, 2021
- Revolut warns that cryptocurrency XRP could become worthless - The Irish Times - January 8th, 2021
- What Made Ben BitBoy Armstrong Enter the World of Cryptocurrency? - SF Weekly - January 8th, 2021
- 7 Things You Need To Know About Cryptocurrency - MarketBeat - January 8th, 2021
- FinCENs Proposed Rulemaking for Cryptocurrency The Balance of National Security vs. Privacy - JD Supra - January 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Savings Accounts: Will This New Trend Help You Boost Earnings? - Forbes - November 4th, 2020
- Nearly $1 billion worth of bitcoin linked to Silk Road black market is on the move, analysis shows - CNBC - November 4th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Analysis with Market Size, Industry Share, trends and Forecast to 2026 - Zenit News - November 4th, 2020
- Square Funds Project To Make Cryptocurrency Wallets More Accessible To Everyone - Benzinga - November 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Volatility Expected to Rise After the US Presidential Election - Bitcoin News - November 4th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects... - November 4th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Report Gives Industry Size, Growth, Production, Types, Applications, Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends 2020 to 2025 - PRnews... - November 4th, 2020
- Hong Kong's SFC says will require all cryptocurrency trading platforms be regulated - ForexLive - November 4th, 2020
- Who Needs to Tell the US Internal Revenue Service About Their Cryptocurrency Activity? - Lexology - November 4th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency startup Paxful streamlines its operations with Dynamics 365 Business Central - Microsoft - October 23rd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Chief Predicts Next Amazon Or Apple To Be A Blockchain Company And Based In Asia And Not The US - Digital Market News - October 23rd, 2020
- FCA crypto ban is a setback for the UK in race to lead growing digital assets marketplace, says GDF - Wealth Adviser - October 23rd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Is Just a Minor Threat to the State- CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 21st, 2020
- Dissidents Are Turning To Cryptocurrency As Protests Mount Around The World - Forbes - October 21st, 2020
- SQ: 4 Stocks That Could Skyrocket During the Next Crypto Boom - StockNews.com - October 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Crypto Ban In The Air, Crypto Scams Everywhere - Inc42 Media - October 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency provider tightens compliance in face of widespread fraud - JD Supra - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about Crypto Trading - Nairametrics - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020 | Growth and Demand | Projected By Market Data Analytics - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market 2020 Product Type, Applications, Market Share and Forecast by 2026 | BitFury Group Limited, Microsoft Corporation, Ripple Labs... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Market With COVID-19 Pandemic Analysis, Growth Rate and Forecast 2020-2026 : Intel Corporation, Microsoft... - October 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Market to Observe Strong Growth to Generate Massive Revenue in Coming Years 2020 to 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Regional Growth, Trends, Methods, Applications, Equipment vendors, Business Prospects and Forecast to... - October 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin: Another Mini-Meltdown Appears Likely - Seeking Alpha - October 17th, 2020
- Square Invests in Bitcoins to Boost Cryptocurrency Footprint - Yahoo Finance - October 17th, 2020
- 4 dangerous cryptocurrency scams the FBI wants you to watch out for - Komando - October 17th, 2020
- Unpacking the DOJ's cryptocurrency guidance: Enforcement priorities and industry implications - Lexology - October 17th, 2020
- AABB - Asia Metals Inc. Development Agreement for Gold-Backed CryptoCurrency Coin In Final Stages of Negotiations - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency price, charts Industry Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2027: Brave New Coin, CoinDelite, BITKAN, Coinance... - October 17th, 2020
- The US Department of Justice issues Cryptocurrency Enforcement Framework forecasting increased scrutiny of activities involving cryptocurrency - JD... - October 17th, 2020
- Seven Key Takeaways From The Department Of Justices Cryptocurrency Enforcement Framework - Forbes - October 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency has the power to revolutionise a corrupt banking system - The Independent - October 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange and its Executives Face Allegations of Failing to Maintain an Adequate AML Program - Lexology - October 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: After Raising Fresh Fund From Tim Draper, Unocoin Looks To Launch Lending Featur ... - Inc42 Media - October 15th, 2020
- A Guide to Cryptocurrency Trading Tools - Legal Reader - October 15th, 2020
- The 3 lesser known cryptocurrency that are worth looking into - InfotechLead.com - October 8th, 2020
- IRS Advises that Virtual Currency Received in Exchange for Microtasking is Subject to Ordinary Income Tax and Self-Employment Tax - JD Supra - October 8th, 2020
- Bank of Korea plans cryptocurrency (CBDC) testing in 2021 - The Paypers - October 8th, 2020
- Inside the Marshall Islands New Cryptocurrency: The SOV - Decrypt - October 8th, 2020
- Nicole Junkermann on the future of cryptocurrency | Business Leader News - Business Leader - October 8th, 2020
- Extrapolating The Future of Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will the Balkans Take to Cryptocurrency? - Balkan Insight - September 19th, 2020
- The risks of investing in cryptocurrency and how to overcome them - Telemedia Online - September 19th, 2020
- How is cryptocurrency going to be regulated in the EU? - Kalkine Media - September 19th, 2020
- Russia and Ukraine have Disproportionately High Cryptocurrency Usage with Many Locals Shifting Financial Activity to Digital Assets: Report -... - September 19th, 2020
- Will crypto trading get as regulated as the stocks or FX trading? - Crypto News Flash - September 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Can Uniswaps UNI Break Into the Top 10 Cryptocurrency Token Rankings? - CryptoPotato - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will The Balkans Take To Cryptocurrency? - Analysis - Eurasia Review - September 19th, 2020
- The Rise and Fall of a Tribal Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 6th, 2020
- How Will Greece Be Impacted By Cryptocurrency? - GreekCityTimes.com - September 6th, 2020
- Justice Department Seeks To Recover Hacked Cryptocurrency Funds Tied To North Korea - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Prodigy, Joseph PlugWalkJoe O'Connor, Is Helping People Everywhere Master Crypto - AiThority - September 6th, 2020
- Kazakhstan in talks on $700m in cryptocurrency mining projects - Cyprus Mail - September 6th, 2020
- Akon Unveils Major Details of $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City: Real-Life Wakanda - Bitcoin News - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $10,460 after a significant rejection and overall weakness - FXStreet - September 6th, 2020
- Brexit in the US: Californian exit plan will use cryptocurrency to give everyone an income - Daily Express - September 6th, 2020
- YFI: Yearn Finance becomes the most expensive cryptocurrency, surges past $27000 - Nairametrics - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook and Twitter need to do more to prevent cryptocurrency scams, says CoinCorner CEO - ResponseSource - September 6th, 2020
- PM Modis Websites Twitter Account Briefly Hacked to Ask for Cryptocurrency - NDTV - September 6th, 2020
- The Cryptocurrency XRP Is Having A Good 6 Weeks - Forbes - August 24th, 2020
- IMF Publishes Cryptocurrency Explainer, Saying It 'Could Be the Next Step in the Evolution of Money' | News - Bitcoin News - August 24th, 2020
- Report finds $50 billion of cryptocurrency moved out of China hinting at capital flight against Beijing rules - CNBC - August 24th, 2020