Wall Streets main regulator is boosting its scrutiny of brokerages that deal in cryptocurrencies, according to two people familiar with the matter, the latest sign that authorities want to know more about a burgeoning market that they fear might be full of misconduct.
Brokerages have been peppered in recent weeks with questions from Securities and Exchange Commission examiners about their business practices and how they deal with clients, according to one of the people, who requested anonymity to discuss the review. Among other things, the SEC is seeking specific information about fees generated from trading, financing and initial coin offerings. The agency is also gathering data on investment advisers involvement, another person said.
Cryptocurrencies have gotten increasing attention in the past year from regulators including SEC Chairman Jay Clayton, who has said he believes the ICO market is rife with fraud. The agencys enforcement unit has sued firms that it says violated securities laws through coin offerings, and Bloomberg News has reported that Justice Department lawyers have opened a criminal probe into whether traders are manipulating the price of Bitcoin and other digital currencies.
Its predominantly smaller brokerage firms that deal with virtual tokens. No Wall Street banks currently trade cryptocurrencies.
The SEC review, being led by the Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations, follows requests seeking information from hedge funds about how they price digital investments. It comes as industry self-regulators like the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority and the National Futures Association question member companies about their dealings in cryptocurrencies.
Theyre trying to understand the whole ecosystem, John L. Jacobs, executive director of Georgetown Universitys Center for Financial Markets and Policy, said of regulators inquiries. Theyre still wrestling with how to make sure that this an organized efficient marketplace.
Natalie Strom, a spokeswoman for Clayton, declined to comment.
OCIEs primary function is conducting examinations with the goal of protecting investors and ensuring market integrity. When the units inspectors spot signs of misconduct, they typically refer findings to the SECs enforcement division for further scrutiny that can lead to formal investigations, fines and other penalties when wrongdoing is found.
The cryptocurrency and ICO markets have grown rapidly and present a number of risks for retail investors, OCIE said in a February report outlining its exam priorities for this year. Areas of focus will include, among other things, whether financial professionals maintain adequate controls and safeguards to protect these assets from theft or misappropriation.
To be sure, some brokerages and money managers have reported their involvement to regulators and have asked for guidance to ensure theyre complying with the law. Others have been less forthcoming, and the regulatory landscape is complicated by legal wrangling over which assets should be considered securities under the SECs jurisdiction.
In addition to asking brokerages about whether theyve been involved with ICOs, the SEC has also been questioning firms over their clearing agreements, as well as personnel and other in-house matters, one of the people said. Finra, the front-line brokerage regulator overseen by the SEC, sent firms a notice last month asking them to notify the agency if they get involved with digital assets.
NFA, the industry-funded regulator for the derivatives industry, notified the Commodity Futures Trading Commission last month that it plans to require that firms dealing in the cryptocurrency derivatives and cash markets make additional disclosures.
This seems to be transitioning from where the house is on fire to incorporating supervision of the intermediaries, said Jeff Bandman, principal at Bandman Advisors whose clients include crypto firms.
With assistance by Matt Robinson
Brokers Cryptocurrency Deals Are Focus of SEC Review ...
- Cryptocurrency - CES 2020 - December 4th, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency? A Simple Explanation - December 4th, 2019
- 8 Best Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Books To Read in 2019 ... - December 4th, 2019
- What Is Cryptocurrency Mining? - Mycryptopedia - December 4th, 2019
- Best Places to Earn Interest on Your Cryptocurrency - Crypto Briefing - December 4th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency 101 in the South Bronx - The New Yorker - December 4th, 2019
- Bitcoin Corrects And What's Next - Seeking Alpha - December 4th, 2019
- Drugs hidden in childs toy lead police to massive $1M cryptocurrency stash - The Next Web - December 4th, 2019
- Chinas blockchain consortium adds cryptocurrency exchange Huobi to its alliance - FXStreet - December 4th, 2019
- Want to Pay for Your Stay with Cryptocurrency? Head to Vir Island - Total Croatia News - December 4th, 2019
- Thai SEC to Amend its Royal Decree on Cryptocurrency - The Tokenist - December 4th, 2019
- German Banks Will Be Allowed to Buy, Sell, and Store Cryptocurrency Starting New Years Day Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin and Investment News from Inside... - December 4th, 2019
- India vs. the people: The battle over cryptocurrency ownership continues - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Binance Launches Ethereum Futures, Hackers Steal $50 Mn From Korean Exchange And ... - Inc42 Media - December 2nd, 2019
- China Shuts Down 173 Cryptocurrency Exchanges and Token-Issuing Platforms - BeInCrypto - December 2nd, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversify their portfolios - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- U.S. Authorities Arrest Virgil Griffith For Teaching Cryptocurrency And Blockchain - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- What Hides Behind South Korean Cryptocurrency Regulation Policy? - The Diplomat - November 30th, 2019
- CipherTrace Q3 2019 Cryptocurrency AML Report: 2/3 of the Top 120 - AiThority - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Crime Spikes This Year and SMBs are Paying the Price - Commercial Integrator - November 30th, 2019
- $150 Billion Cryptocurrency Boom Is Here Buy This ETF to Profit - Banyan Hill Publishing - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency crime surges, losses hit $4.4 billion by end-September: CipherTrace report - Reuters - November 28th, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversity their portfolios - Forkast News - November 28th, 2019
- Binance CEO: China has never been pro-Bitcoin or pro-cryptocurrency - AMBCrypto - November 28th, 2019
- Nearly $50 Million of Ether Swiped From South Korean Cryptocurrency Exchange - The Wall Street Journal - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin back on recovery track, Ripple and Ethereum follow the lead - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- What the Crypto Markets Are Saying About the Future of Bitcoin - Coindesk - November 28th, 2019
- Thailand: Cryptocurrency Law Will Change in 2020 to Stay Competitive - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2019
- Navigating the Token Crypt: What Options Are Available For Investing Cryptocurrency? - Nasdaq - November 28th, 2019
- This Cryptocurrency Is Up 11310% in a Week. Legit Scam or Just Legit? - CCN.com - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin sits above $7,000 as the trading range is narrowing - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency policies must combat snake oil without stifling innovation - The Globe and Mail - November 28th, 2019
- Akon has started building Akon City in Senegal with focus on cryptocurrency and renewable energy - Evening Standard - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency steps closer to legalization in South Korea - CoinGeek - November 28th, 2019
- Dwight Schrute tells Bitcoin holders to give their worthless cryptocurrency to a non-profit - The Next Web - November 22nd, 2019
- VinDAX Is the Seventh Cryptocurrency Exchange Hacked This Year: What Should Investors Be Considering? - Lexology - November 22nd, 2019
- Bitfinex Announces Strategic Collaboration with ODEM to Expand Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Education - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2019
- How a seven-week Wharton course brings the study of cryptocurrency to the classroom - The Daily Pennsylvanian - November 22nd, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears have an upper hand - FXStreet - November 22nd, 2019
- Sacramento Kings Lead The Way For Sports In Cryptocurrency Solutions - Front Office Sports - November 22nd, 2019
- This week in Cryptocurrency - Born2Invest - November 22nd, 2019
- South African cryptocurrency exchanges will be having their bank accounts shut down - FXStreet - November 22nd, 2019
- PayPal CEO Holds Bitcoin and Only Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency exchange that went dark with $16M in user funds only has $45k, report - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency market update: $5 billion wiped off as Bitcoin bears take a breather - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears hit the pause button - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- This cryptocurrencys price just pumped 7,000%, but why? - Decrypt - November 20th, 2019
- Swedish gold-for-cryptocurrency scammer finally extradited to US - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Binance US Adds Nano (NANO) as Its 26th Cryptocurrency - SludgeFeed - November 20th, 2019
- Is the IRS HODLing Out on Us? IRS Issues Additional Cryptocurrency Guidance Addressing Hard Forks, Soft Forks, and Airdrops - JD Supra - November 20th, 2019
- Maksim Zaslavskiy of the cryptocurrency Recoin was sentenced to 18 months in prison for lying to investors - Crain's New York Business - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrencies | Category | Fox Business - November 1st, 2019
- Best cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 - The Complete Guide - November 1st, 2019
- Best Cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 Our Top 4 Picks - October 22nd, 2019
- Buy Cryptocurrency with Credit Card or Bank Transfer now ... - September 30th, 2019
- Best 10 Cryptocurrency Brokers - Updated for 2019 (Safe ... - September 30th, 2019
- Fidelity Said to Offer Cryptocurrency Trading Within a Few ... - May 10th, 2019
- Is This Cryptocurrency The Next Bitcoin? - forbes.com - April 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Definition | Bankrate.com - April 26th, 2019
- Samsung is developing its own blockchain network, report claims - April 26th, 2019
- 2019s best cryptocurrency wallets | 70+ compared | finder.com - April 26th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - Definition from WhatIs.com - April 25th, 2019
- A Beginner's Guide to Cryptocoin Mining: What You Need to ... - April 25th, 2019
- How Cryptocurrency Assets Are Becoming A New Battleground In ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency: Cryptocurrency Explained the Easy Way - April 13th, 2019
- How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK - finance.yahoo.com - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading | TD Ameritrade - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Prices, Charts, and Market Cap Data - UNHASHED - April 8th, 2019
- Blow To Bitcoin As World's Largest Cryptocurrency IPO Is Iced - April 2nd, 2019
- How and where do I report Cryptocurrency coin-to-coin ... - March 22nd, 2019
- Hundreds of Millions in Cryptocurrency Vanishes After ... - March 11th, 2019
- Fidelity's new cryptocurrency company is up and running ... - March 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Says It Can't Access $190 Million ... - February 5th, 2019
- What's the Best Cryptocurrency to Invest in Today? - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading Easy tips to get started | AvaTrade - January 9th, 2019
- Thailand Issues 4 Cryptocurrency Licenses, Rejects 2 ... - January 9th, 2019
- NASDAQ, Fidelity Invest in New Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News | Cryptocurrency News | Blockchain ... - January 9th, 2019
- Differences Between Cryptocurrency Coins and Tokens - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Charts - January 8th, 2019