Local Shariah advisors believe halal coin is a viable idea, as long as governments collectively agree to it
By DASHVEENJIT KAUR / Pic By BLOOMBERG & issf.isra.my
LEADERS at the Kuala Lumpur Summit 2019 last week called on Muslim nations to strengthen financial and trade cooperation, and to cut their reliance on the US dollar.
Iranian President Dr Hassan Rouhani, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad mooted the idea of a unified currency as one of the ways to confront the economic dominance of the US.
Local Shariah advisors believe halal coin is a viable idea, as long as governments collectively agree to it, financial technology entrepreneurs maintain their appetite for it and the Islamic finance ecosystem comes to understand it enough to regulate it.
Mohamad Akram says Shariah authorities have not ruled on whether cryptocurrencies are permissible and none have the authority to impose them
International Shariah Research Academy (ISRA) for Islamic finance ED Prof Dr Mohamad Akram Laldin said cryptocurrencies have drawn a variety of rulings from scholars with differing views on how these fit with Islamic principles that emphasise real economic activity and forbid outright monetary speculation.
One or more individual Muslim governments must embrace halal coin before it can become a reality. If more governments came forward to support this idea, I think it would have more potential on the market, he told The Malaysian Reserve recently.
Mohamad Akram believes the big challenge to roll out a halal cryptocurrency has to do with the capacity of regulators, scholars and standards setting bodies to see and understand what it all means having a unified currency.
A single currency wouldnt be subject to exchange rate fluctuations because there would be no competing currencies to exchange against.
Shariah authorities have not ruled on whether cryptocurrencies are permissible, and while several global bodies recommend standards for Islamic finance, none have the authority to impose them. Many governments seem ambivalent, worried about the potential for instability, but unwilling to lose the chance of benefiting from new technology, he added.
A number of global jurisdictions have been considering the creation of cryptocurrencies to dodge sanctions by the US to date.
As reported by Cointelegraph in September, authorities in North Korea announced its intention to issue a digital currency with experts believing the initiative is aimed at helping the country bypass sanctions by the US.
Oil producer Venezuela is another example of countries trying to circumvent US sanctions using its own crypto. Launched in February 2018, the Petro became the worlds first national oil-backed cryptocurrency.
One of the biggest difficulties is that there is so much to talk about, let alone do. Execution is the hurdle and the idea of a unified currency using cryptocurrency is a far-fetched reality as of now Mohamad Akram said.
Companies are seeking to sway the debate by launching instruments based on physical assets and certified as valid by Islamic advisors.
In Malaysia, HelloGold Sdn Bhd launched an initial offer of its gold-backed cryptocurrency in October, receiving approval from Islamic scholars at Kuala Lumpur-based Amanie Advisors Sdn Bhd.
HelloGold CMO Manuel Ho said its coin is Islamic as transactions occur within a defined period, making them less volatile and addressing the issue of ambiguity of pricing. But the issue of religious permissibility is influential and could determine whether Islamic funds and institutions, which are formally committed to the principles of Islamic law, deal in cryptocurrencies.
Muhammads working paper concludes that Bitcoin fully meets the definition of Islamic money and is generally permissible under Shariah
The haram vs halal crypto debate has been ongoing since bitcoins initial surge in popularity.
A check on Google shows Internet searches for the phrase bitcoin halal peaked in December 2017, when the leading cryptocurrencys price hit record highs of around US$20,000 (RM82,800) per coin, while bitcoin haram was queried most in January 2018.
Blossom Finance of Indonesia commissioned and released a working paper last year, exploring the Islamic permissibility of bitcoin, cryptocurrency and blockchain.
The research and development of the working paper was led by Mufti Muhammad Abu Bakar Blossoms internal Shariah advisor and Shariah compliance officer.
The paper concluded that bitcoin fully meets the definition of Islamic money under certain conditions and was generally permissible under Shariah.
The author pointed to the fact that bitcoin was recognised as a legal currency in Germany and therefore qualified as Islamic money in that country.
Bitcoin is permissible in principal as it is treated as valuable by market price on global exchanges and it is accepted for payment at a wide variety of merchants. Moreover, many private individuals accept bitcoin as a medium of exchange in their private transactions, the study stated.
The publication of the study in April 2018 preceded unprecedented price gains of bitcoin as its value surged by more than US$1,000 in less than an hour following several months of steady decline.
This has led some analysts to speculate that news of bitcoins Shariah law compliance may have contributed to the price spike.
The rest is here:
Could there be a halal cryptocurrency? - The Malaysian Reserve
- Cryptocurrency market update: Major cryptos trade in tight ranges on Saturday - FXStreet - April 6th, 2020
- These are the main factors to consider before investing in the cryptocurrency market - CryptoSlate - April 6th, 2020
- Brian Armstrong: Cryptocurrency Boom Will Spawn Millions of Tokens - The Daily Hodl - April 6th, 2020
- Global demand for cryptocurrencies escalating rapidly: What is the reason for this? - Cryptopolitan - April 6th, 2020
- This Cryptocurrency Casino Is the Latest Terrible Idea by Atari - CCN.com - April 6th, 2020
- First Mover: Trillions in Coronavirus Stimulus Bring Out the Bitcoin Bulls - Yahoo Finance - April 6th, 2020
- YouTube Scares Off Cryptocurrency Supporters by Banning their Content - Coin Idol - April 6th, 2020
- Alipays Progress in Developing the Official Chinese Cryptocurrency Amidst the Global Chaos - TWJ News - March 29th, 2020
- Huobi (HT) Buying Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrency Is Easier With Huobi Lite - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - March 29th, 2020
- Lukka debuts resource library on all things cryptocurrency - Accounting Today - March 28th, 2020
- Not Convinced New Investors are Buying Bitcoin, Top Analyst Says - newsBTC - March 28th, 2020
- How to identify when a cryptocurrency is about to skyrocket? | The Home of Altcoins: All About Crypto, Bitcoin & Altcoins - Coinlist - March 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus Crisis Shows Benefits of Virtual Reality to Cryptocurrency Enthusiasts - The Merkle Hash - March 28th, 2020
- Report: Asian Nations are Increasing Cryptocurrency Usage - Asia Crypto Today - March 28th, 2020
- President of Brazilian banking On cryptocurrency: They do not fulfill any of the classic functions of currency - Crypto Daily - March 28th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Accounting Firm Launches Library of Legal and Tax Advice - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals the Secret Behind Its Cryptocurrency Futures Success - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- What Happened In Cryptocurrency Tax Space In Q1 2020 - Forbes - March 27th, 2020
- What Will $6 Trillion in Monetary Expansion Do To Cryptocurrency? (Opinion) - CryptoPotato - March 27th, 2020
- Why this cryptocurrency just surged 16% on news of a key Binance partnership - CryptoSlate - March 27th, 2020
- The Role of Cryptocurrencies in the Rise of Ransomware - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Dash and Monero edge above Bitcoin to lead a remarkable recovery - FXStreet - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin news: Price hit by dramatic value fluctuations amid coronavirus panic buying and selling - The Independent - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin in the Palm of Your Hand Crypto Hardware Wallets Review - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Ranked: US cities with the most crypto owners - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- The Coder and the Dictator - The New York Times - March 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Gains $25.7B In 24 Hours As It Recovers From Massive Sell-Off - Benzinga - March 27th, 2020
- Chinas Cryptocurrency Is Closer Than Expected, Already Working On Legislation - CryptoPotato - March 27th, 2020
- We Implemented Cryptocurrency In Our Cannabis Business. Here's What We Found. - Green Entrepreneur - March 27th, 2020
- How To Make Money When The Cryptocurrency Market Is Tanking - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Thousands of These Computers Were Mining Cryptocurrency. Now They're Working on Coronavirus Research - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 19th, 2020
- Itiviti and Gemini to offer Nyfix connectivity for cryptocurrency customers - Finextra - March 19th, 2020
- 6 Cryptocurrency Exchanges That Don't Require KYC - Bitcoin News - March 19th, 2020
- How to Seize What Might Be Unprecedented Crypto Buying... - Coinspeaker - March 19th, 2020
- Will iMining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (CVE:IMIN) Spend Its Cash Wisely? - Simply Wall St - March 19th, 2020
- How Do You Maximize the Benefits of Cryptocurrency While Avoiding Near-Term Tax? Consider a Self-Directed IRA - The Block Talk - March 19th, 2020
- Russian Premier Bank Signals Red For Cryptocurrency Circulation And Issuance - TWJ News - March 19th, 2020
- Cyber Thieves Using Coronavirus Fears to Steal Bitcoin (BTC) and Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - March 19th, 2020
- BitGo Starts to Further its Cryptocurrency insurance policies - Crypto Daily - March 19th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies see $93.5 billion wiped off value in 24 hours as bitcoin plunges 48% - CNBC - March 15th, 2020
- [Updated] The Real Reason Behind Bitcoin And Cryptos Massive $50 Billion Crash? - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- 50 Companies Back New Cryptocurrency Project Competing With Facebook's Libra - Bitcoin News - March 15th, 2020
- The unlikely cryptocurrency bill that went to Congress - Decrypt - March 15th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Failed the Coronavirus Test - Motley Fool - March 15th, 2020
- XRP on the Verge of Free Fall - Crypto Briefing - March 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency exchange CoinDCX invests $1.3M in education initiative 'TryCrypto' - YourStory - March 15th, 2020
- Rise in trading volume a positive sign for cryptocurrency - BTC Wires - March 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk and Daniel Craig Featured in Cryptocurrency Scam Promising Massive Returns - The Daily Hodl - March 15th, 2020
- South Korea passes one of the worlds first comprehensive cryptocurrency laws - TechCrunch - March 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin And Crypto Investors: Avoid This New Cryptocurrency Like The Plague - Forbes - March 10th, 2020
- Over $26 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours after massive oil price plunge - CNBC - March 10th, 2020
- Chinese Nationals Charged with Laundering More Than $100 Million in Cryptocurrency | Chief Investment Officer - Chief Investment Officer - March 10th, 2020
- View: Why it's better for RBI to just wait and watch on cryptocurrency - Economic Times - March 10th, 2020
- Will Japan have a National Cryptocurrency? - Asia Crypto Today - March 10th, 2020
- Cardano (ADA) Cryptocurrency Going Great with Commercialization Measures - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - March 10th, 2020
- Binance Coin (BNB) Cryptocurrency Is Surging: Here's How It Can Refuel BTC - newsBTC - March 10th, 2020
- Is the Coronavirus The Black Swan Event That Crushes Cryptocurrency? - newsBTC - March 5th, 2020
- Nearly $10bn worth of cryptocurrency was stolen in the past three years - TechRadar - March 5th, 2020
- Latest news on the cryptocurrency market - Born2Invest - March 5th, 2020
- Coinbase CEO Reveals Controversial Bitcoin (BTC) and Cryptocurrency Prediction With Major Shift Incoming - The Daily Hodl - March 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk Just Sent The Best Cryptocurrency And Prank Bitcoin Rival Sharply HigherHeres Why - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Who Needs Cryptocurrency FedCoin When We Already Have A National Digital Currency? - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Binance, Coinbase, And Other Cryptocurrency Exchanges Reportedly Targeted By A New Trojan Virus - CryptoPotato - March 4th, 2020
- North Korea may Have to Forfeit 113 Cryptocurrency Accounts - The Merkle Hash - March 4th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Dogecoin is the best cryptocurrency - Decrypt - March 4th, 2020
- CoronaCoin: Cryptocurrency that bets on coronavirus deaths - Business Today - March 4th, 2020
- Meet the Northumbrian using cryptocurrency to address the UK's housing crisis - North East Times - March 4th, 2020
- How UNICEFs crypto currency fund could change the UN - Quartz - February 28th, 2020
- When IRS Asks About Cryptocurrency On Your Taxes, Answer Carefully - Forbes - February 28th, 2020
- While The Rest of the Market Tanks, One Cryptocurrency Is Above All-Time High - newsBTC - February 28th, 2020
- Crypto in the Hermit Kingdom: Understanding the Objectives of the Pyongyang Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference - RUSI Analysis - February 28th, 2020
- Warren Buffett: Cryptocurrency 'has no value' 'I don't own any and never will' - CNBC - February 28th, 2020
- VeChain (VET) Billion Dollars Partners Believe in the Cryptocurrency - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 28th, 2020
- Yemens Civil War Shows the Dangers of Crypto - Yahoo Finance - February 28th, 2020
- Fantom Foundation (FTM) 20 Cryptocurrency Transactions in a Single Second on the Blockchain - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 28th, 2020
- VertCoin (VTC) One Click Miner Beginning To Rock the Cryptocurrency World Already - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 28th, 2020
- A plan to sell Perth Glory to the LFE cryptocurrency firm is over, but the deal never added up - ABC News - February 28th, 2020
- Crime And Punishment In The Cryptocurrency World - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Focus: Ethereum Is on Fire - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Warren Buffett says he will never own any cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020