We have seen investors and consumers alike deliberate about what the economy will look like post-pandemic. As the world emerges from the crisis, industries that have been shut down will be left surveying the widespread damage, some of it permanent. Consumers will likely be split between the fortunate ones that have been able to work and others whose livelihoods have been compromised as a result of the shutdown.
To mitigate the sever economic impact, governments and central banks globally are printing and distributing extra money to prop up parts of the economy which can no longer function at pre-Covid capacity levels. In the UK alone, an estimated 123bn has already been plugged into the economy and there are estimates that Bank of England stimulus levels could peak at 1 trillion.
Despite the argued necessity of these measures, it is almost impossible not to question the impact on inflation. This massive increase in governmental quantitative easing will have an impact on the global economy, and for asset prices in particular. While inflation is defined as the rate at which the average price level that particular goods and services increase over a period of time, its easier in this context to regard it as the result of a decrease in purchasing power.
As a result, investors will often look safe-haven assets that could provide a hedge against rising prices and avoid the destructive impact of inflation. Gold price is one indicator, and at the time of writing it is seeing a ten-year high while Londons FTSE 100 tumbled 2.8 per cent, and the Eurex Exchange reported a 59 per cent month-on-month decline since April volume. Historically gold had been used as a hedge to protect against economic events including inflation or currency devaluation. Although we can expect this use to continue as a popular option, the pandemic has shown a shift in consumer interest to other safe haven asset classes.
Cryptocurrency is an alternative method of inflation protection which should not be overlooked. Although previously appearing as counterintuitive due to perceived volatility, digital assets have held their own against the stock market, unlike other commodities such as oil. The value of oil has crashed due to vanishing demand and a resulting supply excess causing the price to fall to negative value.
While the comparison between gold and crypto has some nuances the broader theme of Bitcoin as a protective hedge against inflation has broken through especially after the BTC halving we saw in early May. This event has brought attention to Bitcoins controlled supply, with only 21 million max tokens being permitted. At a time when more paper currency is being created in circulation, the amount of Bitcoin halving is causing investors to look away from government-backed paper. While also highlighting the use of cryptocurrency generally as a means of exchange within a more digitally oriented world economy.
In contrast, digital assets have seen a different story. Without the worry of political interference and variable supply rates, cryptocurrencies can benefit from being a less vulnerable investment in times of crisis. We have seen that Bitcoin is still up 22 per cent from a year ago. Newer coins like Tezos are up around 30 per cent so far this year. Both digital currencies highlight that crypto volatility is potentially a sign of the past, especially when compared to the volatility in traditional asset markets.
With crypto trading operating 24/7, 365 days a year with instantaneous settlement while traditional equities still have fixed trading hours and have a settlement cycle of T+3, crypto can provide even more perceived security and flexibility for investors. Cryptocurrencies can also be used as a tool for portfolio diversification and as a method of protection against the economic and political uncertainties to come.
We have witnessed economic disruption before, across ongoing periods of hyperinflation in Venezuela and Zimbabwe more recently, and in Weimar Germany in the 1920s. While it is not helpful to draw comparisons across these countries or their respective banking systems, it is worth taking note of the value crypto offers in terms of being an alternative to unstable national currencies.
Well-known investors such as Paul Tudor Jones are buying bitcoin, saying that his fund may hold as much as a low single-digit percentage of assets in bitcoin futures a measure to protect against a rise in inflation. While Mike Novogratz stated that 2020 will and needs to be Bitcoins year, underlining further investor confidence in digital currencies. Data reinforces this view, by looking at results from the crypto asset manager Grayscale. In Q1, inflows north of $500 million, more than doubling its previous best quarter. Almost a third of this capital came from new investors and most being institutions. Almost every indication that inflationary fears shall add to the tailwinds already powering fresh investment in cryptocurrency, among them institutional involvement and improving regulation.
Bitcoin is inherently structured to encourage a deflationary approach and a relatively stable store of value acting as a true alternative to hedge against inflation, as well as the policies that precede it.
While digital assets emerged out of the embers of the 2008 financial crisis, we can only speculate what technological innovations will rise post-pandemic. Hopefully, the global economy will allow cryptocurrencies to solidify their place in future investment portfolios as it currently demonstrates strong performance and price sustainability.
We are beginning to see the early signs are already there, that investors are turning to cryptocurrencies both as a key tool for diversification and a hedge against uncertainties to come. Ultimately, we are just at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to truly understanding the vast opportunities that digital assets and blockchain for transforming the global economy and we are ready for this challenge.
Stephen Stonberg, COO and CFO, Bittrex Global
- Extrapolating The Future of Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will the Balkans Take to Cryptocurrency? - Balkan Insight - September 19th, 2020
- The risks of investing in cryptocurrency and how to overcome them - Telemedia Online - September 19th, 2020
- How is cryptocurrency going to be regulated in the EU? - Kalkine Media - September 19th, 2020
- Russia and Ukraine have Disproportionately High Cryptocurrency Usage with Many Locals Shifting Financial Activity to Digital Assets: Report -... - September 19th, 2020
- Will crypto trading get as regulated as the stocks or FX trading? - Crypto News Flash - September 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Can Uniswaps UNI Break Into the Top 10 Cryptocurrency Token Rankings? - CryptoPotato - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will The Balkans Take To Cryptocurrency? - Analysis - Eurasia Review - September 19th, 2020
- The Rise and Fall of a Tribal Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 6th, 2020
- How Will Greece Be Impacted By Cryptocurrency? - GreekCityTimes.com - September 6th, 2020
- Justice Department Seeks To Recover Hacked Cryptocurrency Funds Tied To North Korea - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Prodigy, Joseph PlugWalkJoe O'Connor, Is Helping People Everywhere Master Crypto - AiThority - September 6th, 2020
- Kazakhstan in talks on $700m in cryptocurrency mining projects - Cyprus Mail - September 6th, 2020
- Akon Unveils Major Details of $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City: Real-Life Wakanda - Bitcoin News - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $10,460 after a significant rejection and overall weakness - FXStreet - September 6th, 2020
- Brexit in the US: Californian exit plan will use cryptocurrency to give everyone an income - Daily Express - September 6th, 2020
- YFI: Yearn Finance becomes the most expensive cryptocurrency, surges past $27000 - Nairametrics - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook and Twitter need to do more to prevent cryptocurrency scams, says CoinCorner CEO - ResponseSource - September 6th, 2020
- PM Modis Websites Twitter Account Briefly Hacked to Ask for Cryptocurrency - NDTV - September 6th, 2020
- The Cryptocurrency XRP Is Having A Good 6 Weeks - Forbes - August 24th, 2020
- IMF Publishes Cryptocurrency Explainer, Saying It 'Could Be the Next Step in the Evolution of Money' | News - Bitcoin News - August 24th, 2020
- Report finds $50 billion of cryptocurrency moved out of China hinting at capital flight against Beijing rules - CNBC - August 24th, 2020
- Leading Cryptocurrency Exchange PayBito to Add More Altcoins to the Platform - AiThority - August 24th, 2020
- Crypto: Why investors are rushing to DeFi assets - Nairametrics - August 24th, 2020
- Hackers Intercept Cryptocurrency Payments on the Tor Network Through SSL Stripping - CPO Magazine - August 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin price is surging as investors turn back to cryptocurrency - Metro.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency from Coincheck cyberattack to be confiscated - The Japan Times - August 20th, 2020
- Tether retakes top 3 cryptocurrency spot over XRP - Decrypt - August 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin price hits 2020 record as investors turn to cryptocurrency during pandemic - The Independent - August 20th, 2020
- Buy Bitcoin or Gold? Novogratz and Portnoy Prefer the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - August 20th, 2020
- Boston Fed Bank explores cryptocurrency with MIT - Boston Herald - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Wills - Today's Wills & Probate - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency gaining traction in mainstream - Jim Duffy comment - The Scotsman - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Profitability in 2020: Is It Possible? - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Flaws Could Have Exposed Cryptocurrency Exchanges to Hackers - WIRED - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cards: An Unnecessary Solution That Should Be Stopped - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Wall Street Revealed To Be Edging Out Bitcoin Traders With $1 Million+ Transactions - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: India Could Ban Virtual Currencies & More - Inc42 Media - August 10th, 2020
- US Congressmen Want IRS to Balance Taxation and Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Space | Taxes - Bitcoin News - August 10th, 2020
- Will This Quantum Computing Breakthrough Save Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency? - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum begin consolidating - FXStreet - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: The Currency of the Future - Techtree.com - August 10th, 2020
- Weiss Ratings Places Ethereum Ahead of Bitcoin As Top Cryptocurrency, Says Cardano Has the Best Technology - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin surges past 8,400 as investors look for 'safe haven' - The Telegraph - July 29th, 2020
- Blockchain and how it can change construction - Geospatial World - July 29th, 2020
- CEO of Toronto-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinsquare resigns after regulatory probe - CBC.ca - July 29th, 2020
- 2020 will have publicly-traded cryptocurrency firms Barry Silbert - FXStreet - July 29th, 2020
- Chainalysis Introduces New Website, Market Intel, which gives Digital Asset Managers and Regulators Access to Meaningful Insight about Crypto Activity... - July 29th, 2020
- Why it is time to invest in Ethereum - Nairametrics - July 29th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency firm KuCoin 'shocked' by Twitter hacking - The National - July 19th, 2020
- Samsung Added Support for Stellar (XLM) Cryptocurrency to its Blockchain Keystore, Allows Millions of Users to Access the Digital Asset - Crowdfund... - July 19th, 2020
- $30 billion worth of BTCs disappears forever - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Popular singer, Akon and other leading experts speak on Africa's Crypto - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Revolut partners with Paxos to bring cryptocurrency trading to the US - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- Paypal Developing Cryptocurrency Capabilities, Letter to European Commission Confirms | News - Bitcoin News - July 17th, 2020
- Apple, Biden, Musk and other high-profile Twitter accounts hacked in crypto scam - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- TCS is ready to mine the new crypto economy, snatches early-mover advantage with Quartz - Economic Times - July 17th, 2020
- These Two Cryptocurrency Marks For In Which Way The Bitcoin Is Headed - Inventiva - July 17th, 2020
- US Embassy in BD launches webinar series on dark web and cryptocurrency - The Financial Express - July 17th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cryptocurrency 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like Nvidia, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Bitfury Group, etc - Cole... - July 17th, 2020
- Revolut launches cryptocurrency trading in US - ThePaypers - The Paypers - July 17th, 2020
- Brave New Coin to Develop Cryptocurrency Indices that Toronto Futures Options Swaps Exchange will Use for Cash-Settled Options Trading - Crowdfund... - July 17th, 2020
- Binance Pool Partners with BitRiver - Finance Magnates - July 17th, 2020
- ESET Discovers Trojanized Mac Cryptocurrency App Collecting Wallets and Screenshots - IT News Online - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market (COVID 19 Updated) Climbs on Positive Outlook of Excellent Growth by 2027- Advanced Micro Devices, Baikal... - July 17th, 2020
- New York Appellate Court Confirms Attorney Generals Broad Investigative Powers into the Cryptocurrency Industry - JD Supra - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market with COVID 19 Impact-Global Industry Report, Size, Demand, Revenue, Top Manufacturers, and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 17th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Software Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2024 : Genesis Mining, NiceHash, Awesome Miner, MinerGate,... - July 17th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Becomes the Tesla of Cryptocurrency Whats Next? - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Has Soared 1,000% In Just Over 12 Months - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Brave New Coin Signs Multi-Year Deal To Power Cryptocurrency Options Trading On Toronto Futures - Scoop.co.nz - July 14th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Akon sets out vision for his cryptocurrency and Akon City - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bank of England eyes groundbreaking new currency as key part of Britains future - Express - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Exchanges And The Cryptocurrency World Was Just Rocked - JD Supra - July 11th, 2020
- New York Court Approves Investigation Into $10 Billion Cryptocurrency Created By A Presidential Candidate - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Huobi Global Provides Insight on What Is Driving the Institutional Interest in Cryptocurrency Investment - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- What Challenges Affect the Cost of Running a Cryptocurrency Exchange - Cointelegraph - July 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 11th, 2020
- Fast Pace of Cryptocurrency Adoption in Latin America May be due to Dramatic Rise in Smartphone Users, Bitso Executive Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - July 11th, 2020