NEW YORK (Reuters) - Cryptocurrency theft has surged in 2019 compared with last year, with more money flowing through digital exchanges and criminals looking to carry out bigger heists, according to a report from blockchain forensics company CipherTrace obtained by Reuters.
FILE PHOTO: The exchange rates and logos of Bitcoin (BTH), Ether (ETH), Litecoin (LTC) and Bitcoin Cash (BCH) are seen on the display of a cryptocurrency ATM of blockchain payment service provider Vaerdex at the headquarters of Swiss Falcon Private Bank in Zurich, Switzerland May 29, 2019. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
Losses from digital currency crime soared to $4.4 billion in the first nine months of the year, up more than 150% from $1.7 billion in all of 2018.
The 150% increase in crypto theft and fraud reflects how criminals are adapting for bigger and better scores, Dave Jevans, CipherTrace chief executive officer, told Reuters.
Criminals chase money and the money is right here and ripe for the taking. Little attacks are often easy to defend against, but targeted attacks are far more lucrative, he added.
Cryptocurrencies have attracted intense regulatory scrutiny around the world, as developers and market participants in the space seek to push this asset class into the mainstream.
Two large thefts were the main drivers for the surge this year, CipherTrace said.
One of the frauds saw users and customers lose $2.9 billion from an alleged Ponzi scheme involving crypto wallet and exchange, PlusToken.
The other significant fraud this year was the $195 million that customers lost from Canadian crypto exchange QuadrigaCX following the unexpected of its 30-year-old co-founder and CEO, Gerald Cotten.
Even without the two biggest thefts and scams, we are still witnessingmany multi-million dollar crimes, Jevans said. There is a relativelyconsistent increase in criminal activity year over year and we dont expect that to change overnight.
He added that crimes valued under $5 million are often underreported, as exchanges and police teams focus on the bigger more existential threats to businesses.
CipherTrace reported that the sector saw just $15.5 million in quarterly thefts and scams in the third quarter, the lowest in two years.
Jevans said that while the industry may be seeing fewer reported attacks, criminals were still making out with bigger wheelbarrows of cash.
CipherTrace had previously noted that the type of crime in the crypto sector had shifted from outright thefts to exit scams and other frauds perpetrated by insiders, which showed exchanges have become tougher for criminals to hack.
Todays attackers are patient and willing to spend more time waiting for a payout, said Jevans. Not only have we seen more and more $100 million thefts and scams, those responsible are acting carefully, only cashing out small amounts to stay under the radar.
The report also showed that of the top 120 global crypto exchanges, 65% have weak know-your-customer (KYC) requirements.
It will no doubt have implications as regulators seek to have KYC information shared globally, said CipherTrace.
Reporting by Gertrude Chavez-Dreyfuss; Editing by Bernadette Baum
See the original post here:
Cryptocurrency crime surges, losses hit $4.4 billion by end-September: CipherTrace report - Reuters
- Bank of England to consider adopting cryptocurrency - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Hits $9,000, Institutional Cryptocurrency Investment Spikes, NBA Team Uses Ethereum - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- How Cybercriminals Are Converting Cryptocurrency to Cash - BankInfoSecurity.com - January 22nd, 2020
- UK offers $130K for software that can trace Bitcoin, Ethereum, and (hopefully) Monero - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Hackers have got their hands on $11 billion in stolen cryptocurrency since 2011 - SmartCompany.com.au - January 22nd, 2020
- Thailand launches probe into $2.46M cryptocurrency pyramid scam - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Moonday Mornings: Its 2020 and the OneCoin scam is still alive - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- $140,600,000 in Bitcoin (BTC) Exits Cryptocurrency Exchange As Whale Moves $6,320,422 in XRP - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency No longer banned in India? - The Coin Republic - January 22nd, 2020
- Akons AKOIN Cryptocurrency City White Paper to be Live by February 2020 - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - January 22nd, 2020
- BTC/USD: Will 2020 Bring Clear Vision to the Oldest Cryptocurrency? - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Two-day recovery on the rocks as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple trim gains - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bulls hit the pause button, altcoins follow the lead - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency billionaire funds SF-wide web of cameras to help fight crime - KRON4 - January 16th, 2020
- North Korea is Holding a Secretive Cryptocurrency Conference, and Experts Warn it's a Very Bad Idea to Attend - Newsweek - January 16th, 2020
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP/USD capitalizes on the global cryptocurrency bulls' run - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin rises as cryptocurrency has its best January since 2012 - SiliconANGLE News - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Remittance: The Case of Mexico - Crypto Education - Altcoin Buzz - January 16th, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) - Based Cryptocurrency Tested By The Reserve Bank of Australia as Payment Tool - U.Today - January 16th, 2020
- $1.4B in illicit Bitcoin was laundered via Binance and Huobi last year, report says - The Next Web - January 16th, 2020
- How to minimize the cryptocurrency tax burden this tax season - Canadian Lawyer Magazine - January 16th, 2020
- The future of cryptocurrency - Lexology - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst: Bitcoin Will Skyrocket to $100,000 in 24 Months and Theres Nothing You Can Do About It - CCN.com - January 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Slowly Recovers as Buyers Fail to Emerge - Coin Idol - January 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Has Earned Its Place as a Safe Haven - Investorplace.com - January 13th, 2020
- eToro CEO On Bitcoin Dominance in the Cryptocurrency Market - The Coin Republic - January 13th, 2020
- Moonday Mornings: Ethereum dev released on $1M bail over North Korea case - The Next Web - January 13th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Is Up Almost 500% Over The Past 12 Months - Forbes - January 12th, 2020
- What to expect from cryptocurrency legislation in 2020 - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2020
- South Korea Moves Toward Institutional Acceptance of Cryptocurrency - Nasdaq - January 12th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Cap May Surge 37%. But There's One 'If' - U.Today - January 12th, 2020
- Financial Services Agency to limit leverage in cryptocurrency margin trading to twice the deposits made by traders - The Japan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Naive IoT botnet wastes its time mining cryptocurrency - ZDNet - January 12th, 2020
- Directors of bogus Ugandan cryptocurrency startup charged after 4,000 investor complaints - The Next Web - January 12th, 2020
- Can digital gold Bitcoin ever be mined in India? - ETCIO.com - January 12th, 2020
- 321 Cryptocurrency Whales Control Staggering Amounts of Bitcoin, Ethereum And Litecoin - The Daily Hodl - January 12th, 2020
- Why the Worlds Most Used Cryptocurrency isnt Bitcoin - NewsLogical - January 12th, 2020
- South Korea Works to Bring Cryptocurrency Into the Mainstream - The Diplomat - January 5th, 2020
- Most Significant Hacks of 2019 New Record of Twelve in One Year - Cointelegraph - January 5th, 2020
- Why a Technical Analyst Believes Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Will Surge by 80% - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- Why Analysts Are Bullish On Cryptocurrency As Bitcoin Turns 11 - Ethereum World News - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin is on the Cusp of a Major Price Movement - Crypto Briefing - January 5th, 2020
- 7 Big Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Predictions for 2020 - The Daily Hodl - January 5th, 2020
- China and Russia begin testing cryptocurrency - Born2Invest - January 5th, 2020
- Ethereum Foundation is an opaque Swiss foundation related to cryptocurrency - AMBCrypto - January 5th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Arab World: Clock is Ticking, But Pace is Slow - Finance Magnates - January 5th, 2020
- National Governments Around The Globe Look To Embrace Blockchain - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Chinas Dichotomy Between Cryptocurrency And Blockchain - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- What Is a Cryptocurrency? We Need Clearer Definitions - Coindesk - December 31st, 2019
- Ian Balina, The Controversial Face Of Cryptocurrency - Nasdaq - December 31st, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: YouTube Removes Crypto Videos; Russia Bomb Threats Over A Bitcoin Fraud And More - Inc42 Media - December 31st, 2019
- How To Really Help Free North Koreans Through Crypto - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- The Dividing of Bitcoin to shake markets of cryptocurrency - Market Research Sheets - December 28th, 2019
- The $3 Bilion Bitcoin Dump Isnt Going to Happen - newsBTC - December 27th, 2019
- Googles YouTube Goes To War With Bitcoin And Crypto - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- Top five cryptocurrency guides of 2019 - Yahoo Finance - December 26th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency is a tool for speculation not an investment - The Globe and Mail - December 26th, 2019
- Rakuten Wallet Will Allow Users to Convert Their Loyalty Points to Cryptocurrency - CryptoVibes - December 26th, 2019
- Top China Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Headlines of 2019 - Crowdfund Insider - December 26th, 2019
- How to Make Money with Cryptocurrency: Beginner's Guide 2019 - December 24th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Market News - Bitcoin and Altcoins News - December 24th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency For Beginners - CryptoCurrency Facts - December 24th, 2019
- Crypto Legislation 2020: Analysis Of 21 Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Bills In Congress - Forbes - December 24th, 2019
- This Trader Sees No Value in Ripple and Its Cryptocurrency XRP - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Why XRP Isnt Surging in Tandem With Rest of the Cryptocurrency Market - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Hackers steal $480,000 worth of NULS cryptocurrency from its dev team - The Next Web - December 24th, 2019
- How VeChain Cryptocurrency Was Able to Track and Freeze $6.1M of Stolen Funds - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- This bizarre anime cryptocurrency is now ranked 12 in the world - Decrypt - December 24th, 2019
- Zimbabwe Could End Corruption With This Cryptocurrency Initiative - Bitcoinist - December 24th, 2019
- How will Bitcoin halving shake the cryptocurrency market in 2020? - FXStreet - December 24th, 2019
- How China's National Cryptocurrency Will Improve the Nation's Economy - Bitcoinist - December 24th, 2019
- Why This Developer of the Controversial HEX Cryptocurrency Accused of Scam Left - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Could there be a halal cryptocurrency? - The Malaysian Reserve - December 24th, 2019
- Even 2019s Strongest Cryptocurrency is Unable to Escape the Bear Market - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Why Analysts Across the Board Expect Bitcoin Price to Surge by 8% - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Investors who lost $190m demand exhumation of cryptocurrency mogul - The Guardian - December 14th, 2019
- This little-known cryptocurrency is heading towards the top ten - Decrypt - December 14th, 2019
- Moonday Mornings: IRS readies to tax your cryptocurrency no matter what - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- $1.6B in Bitcoin bought during 2017s bull run hasnt moved - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- ING bank wants to give clients a compliant way to store cryptocurrency, report - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019