Many people are familiar with blockchain technology, but did you know that Ethereum has the largest and most active blockchain community in the world?
Unlike many other blockchain networks, Ethereum is programmable. This customizable feature has enabled developers to solve problems ranging from digital identification and privacy, to corporate ownership and data security.
When the blockchain community disagrees on what changes the network needs to function smoothly or when such changes should take place, developers plan for a fork (an offshoot) of the underlying code rules.
Todays graphic maps out the major Ethereum blockchain forks that have occurred to date, highlighting key events that surrounded each of these updates. It also includes details on the highly anticipated Istanbul hard fork, planned for December 2019.
Forks are common practice in the software industry, and happen for one of two reasons: split opinions within the community, and required changes to the blockchain code.
When either reason is discussed, four major types of forks can occur.
There are currently three types of hard forks:
Lets dive into the timeline of major Ethereum forks, and explore a few of their defining moments and characteristics.
Below are some of the most prominent and important forksboth hard and softon the Ethereum blockchain since its launch.
Vitalik Buterin, founder of Ethereum, and his team finished the 9th and final proof of concept known as Olympic in May 2015. The Ethereum blockchain, also known as Frontier, went live shortly after, on July 30, 2015.
Also known as Frontier Thawing, this was the first (unplanned) fork of the Ethereum blockchain, providing security and speed updates to the network.
Homestead is widely considered Phase 2 of Ethereums development evolution. This rollout included three critical updates to Ethereum: the removal of centralization on the network, enabling users to hold and transact with ETH, and to write and deploy smart contracts.
The Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) event was the most contentious event in Ethereums short history. The DAO team raised US$150 million through a 2016 token salebut an unknown hacker stole US$50 million in ether (ETH), prompting the developer community to hard fork in order to recover the stolen funds.
Widely regarded as the only Ethereum fork of any significance, this hard fork was based on the controversial DAO event. The original chain became known as Ethereum Classic, and the new chain moved forward as the main Ethereum chain.
This September 2019 hard fork event required all software users to upgrade their clients in order to stay with the current network. Enhancements included better security, stability, and network performance for higher volumes of traffic.
Regarded as the third phase of Ethereums evolution, the Metropolis-Byzantium soft fork functioned more like an operating system upgrade, rather than a full split.
Constantinople is the current version of the Ethereum blockchain. This hard fork occurred concurrently with the St. Petersburg update. Important changes included closing a major security loophole that could have allowed hackers to easily access users funds.
Constantinoples most notable improvements include smart contracts being able to verify each other using only the unique string of computer code of another smart contract, and reduced gas feesnamely, the price users pay to process transactions more quickly.
The Ethereum community is preparing for the next hard fork event Istanbul, scheduled for release on December 4th, 2019.
Ethereums 4th and projected final stage of development is Serenity, which has yet to be scheduled. Community members have speculated what changes will come with Serenity, but many agree that the Ethereum blockchain will shift focus from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake.
Proof of Stake means that there is less competition for completing blocks of data, significantly reducing the energy required to process data. Currently, a single Bitcoin transaction consumes the same electricity as 1.75 American households do in a day.
Ethereum continues to be a leading blockchain platform, with the highest number of decentralized apps (dApps) and a massive, engaged community.
To date, cryptocurrencies have largely been the focus of news headlines. However, weve only begun to scratch the surface of what blockchain can offer, and the value it will create beyond the financial world.
[Blockchain] could be the foundation of a whole new era whereby our basic right to privacy is protected, because identity is the foundation of freedom and it needs to be managed responsibly.
Don Tapscott, Executive Chairman of the Blockchain Research Institute
Given email address is already subscribed, thank you!
Please provide a valid email address.
Please complete the CAPTCHA.
Oops. Something went wrong. Please try again later.
- Cryptocurrency investors should be prepared to lose all their money, Bank of England governor says - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency ether rises to new record high over $3600 - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Cramer says he owns 'a lot' of red-hot cryptocurrency ether that's tripled bitcoin's 2021 gain - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin is no longer the cryptocurrency king - TechRadar - May 9th, 2021
- Major Ethereum upgrades could boost the price further. Here's a roadmap. - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- EBay says open to accepting to cryptocurrencies in future, exploring NFTs - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Heres a Bitcoin Timeline for Everything You Need To Know About the Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- South Korean Police Officers Banned From Buying Cryptocurrency Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 9th, 2021
- Rise of cryptocurrency: How it works, where its going - RochesterFirst - May 1st, 2021
- GitHub Reacts to Growing Cryptocurrency Mining Attacks Using GitHub Actions - InfoQ.com - May 1st, 2021
- How to Make Money With Cryptocurrency - NBC Connecticut - April 28th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency is making its way into the Magic City - WIAT - CBS42.com - April 28th, 2021
- 5 Free Fintech And Cryptocurrency Newsletters You Need To Read - Forbes - April 28th, 2021
- Delchain Partners With Flare to Advance Seamless Cryptocurrency Transactions - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- 3 analysts explain why ether will surpass bitcoin as the leading cryptocurrency - Markets Insider - April 28th, 2021
- An act of benevolence: how cryptocurrency investors are stepping in to help India in time of need - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin and the Realm of Cryptocurrency - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- Whats going on with bitcoin? Cryptocurrency is following price prediction model with astonishing precision - The Independent - April 28th, 2021
- Bill Aimed at Coordinating the SEC and CFTC Positions on Cryptocurrency Passes the US House - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- What's driving Indians into cryptocurrency amid all the uncertainty - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- H. C. Wainwright to Host Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and Fintech Virtual Conference - Business Wire - April 28th, 2021
- Tesla reveals $101 million bitcoin profit following its massive cryptocurrency investment - Yahoo News - April 28th, 2021
- Three indirect ways investors can play the cryptocurrency craze - CNBC - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin ($BTC) Plunged, and What Is The Cryptocurrency's Price Outlook Now? - Bloomberg - April 22nd, 2021
- Why SafeMoon Cryptocurrency Is Up 130% And What You Should Know About It - Benzinga - April 22nd, 2021
- Did PayPal Just Make Cryptocurrency The Cash Of The Future? - Forbes - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Only Cryptocurrency You Need - Florida Trend - April 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's Future in the U.S. Is Threatened By SEC Action Against Ripple - Bloomberg Law - April 22nd, 2021
- Marathon to Participate in the H.C. Wainwright Cryptocurrency, Blockchain & FinTech Conference on April 27, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- The Coming Cryptocurrency Crash (And the One Crypto You Should Buy) - InvestorPlace - April 22nd, 2021
- Logan Simmons and Zach Conley announce the acceptance of cryptocurrency with their digital marketing agency, Volume Digital - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Breaking Down the Basics of Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows reach $4.9 billion on April 16 - Business Today - April 22nd, 2021
- Top 5 ways to protect against cryptocurrency scams - TechRepublic - April 22nd, 2021
- GiveCampus Will Support Cryptocurrency Donations to Schools - eSchool News - April 22nd, 2021
- UK Discusses Creating 'Britcoin', Its Own Central Bank-Backed Cryptocurrency - Entrepreneur - April 22nd, 2021
- How To Mine Cryptocurrency: Beginner's Guide To Crypto Mining - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Market UK - Crypto Prices in GBP - Buy ... - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows hit all-time high of $4.5B in first-quarter - Fox Business - April 8th, 2021
- TheStreet Launches A New Cryptocurrency Media Brand, As The Market Tops $2 Trillion - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- Engiven's Cryptocurrency Donation Management Platform Selected by the Orang Utan Republik Foundation - PRNewswire - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Channel and Investor Newsletter Launches on TheStreet - TheStreet - April 8th, 2021
- New Kind Of Network (NKN) Cryptocurrency Surges 1300% In A Month, On Its Path To Become 'World's Biggest Blockchain' - Benzinga - April 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin and taxes: EY cryptocurrency expert details what to know - Yahoo Money - April 8th, 2021
- Ether (ETH) at a fork in the road, faces key resistance at $2,700: Kraken - Markets Insider - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's Slow March Toward The Mainstream - WFAE - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency market in S'pore remains small, says Tharman - The Straits Times - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency game: Is here to stay or will it crash? - Yahoo News - April 8th, 2021
- What Is Chainlink and Why Is It Important in the World of Cryptocurrency? - Yahoo Finance - April 4th, 2021
- Wary insurers watch cryptocurrency craze from the sidelines - Business Insurance - April 4th, 2021
- What Is Filecoin and Why Is the Cryptocurrency's Price Going Up? - Newsweek - April 4th, 2021
- Sask. Government warns of increase in cryptocurrency investment scams - CBC.ca - April 4th, 2021
- Coinbase Goes Public April 14: What You Need To Know - Benzinga - April 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency crowned top performing asset class of 2020-21 with 800% return - Economic Times - April 4th, 2021
- SU's WiTec club to host workshops on cryptocurrency and blockchain - The Daily Orange - April 4th, 2021
- US Government Sees Cryptocurrency Spring Fever as Great Time to Auction Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2021
- Heres When to Buy Bitcoin on the Latest Dip - TheStreet - March 27th, 2021
- RBI Governor Says Government and Central Bank Agree on Cryptocurrency Approach Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 27th, 2021
- Bolster Research Shows Cryptocurrency Scams Nearly Doubled in 2020 and Forecasts More This Year - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) ETF: Fidelity Applies for Fund That Tracks the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - March 27th, 2021
- Milestones In the History of the Bitcoin cryptocurrency - TechBullion - March 27th, 2021
- Fiats sustainable driving cryptocurrency is utter bollocks - The Next Web - March 27th, 2021
- GSA to Hold Auction for Excess Cryptocurrency Assets - ExecutiveGov - March 27th, 2021
- New research reveals the differences between cryptocurrency and gold investors - Wealth Adviser - March 27th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency to become mainstream in the Philippines | Digital Payments | Fintech Magazine - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - March 27th, 2021
- Companies will need to disclose cryptocurrency holdings, benami properties and audit trail from April 1 - Economic Times - March 27th, 2021
- Local students learn to solve crimes of future at Utica College - Utica Observer Dispatch - March 27th, 2021
- What Is SafeMoon? How to Buy the New Cryptocurrency - Newsweek - March 23rd, 2021
- How will cryptocurrency earnings be taxed? - Fox Business - March 23rd, 2021
- Decoded: What is a cryptocurrency and how does a blockchain work? - Business Standard - March 23rd, 2021
- FBI Arrests 6 Over NH Cryptocurrency Business - NBC10 Boston - March 23rd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows hit record high of $4.2 bln, CoinShares says - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2021
- Anger against tech giants led me to cryptocurrency: Nischal Shetty of WazirX - Mint - March 23rd, 2021
- Cashing in on bitcoins: French government to pocket $30 mn from first-ever cryptocurrency auction - Economic Times - March 23rd, 2021
- BitcoinBuyersGuide Introduces the Most Advanced Exchange Filter in the Cryptocurrency Industry - PRNewswire - March 23rd, 2021
- John McAfee charged with securities fraud for pump and dump cryptocurrency scheme - The Verge - March 8th, 2021
- Eco raises $26M in a16z-led round to scale its digital cryptocurrency platform - TechCrunch - March 8th, 2021
- Looking at ways to experiment with digital world and cryptocurrency: Sitharaman - Mint - March 8th, 2021