Feb 09, 2020 at 10:19 // News
Forks are tools employed by blockchain and DLT networks to increase blockchain execution and run the protocol. These are generally distributed into Soft Fork and Hard Fork (hardfork).
A Soft Fork is realized and implemented by creating a modernized version of the DLT protocol compatible with earlier versions. The Soft Fork puts in place a reversible change that enables contribution in the DLT network even to all those nodes that for various reasons decide not to upgrade.
A Hard Fork introduces irreversible change and needs blockchain nodes to create the upgrade mandatorily. With Hard Fork, new cryptocurrencies are formed as in the past, for example, Bitcoin Cash (BCH) cases or zcash and Litecoin (LTC).
Hard Forks can be Planned and Scheduled, or Contentious, which means they can't find community consent.
Regarding Contentious hard forks, the proposed modification to the protocol does not reach an agreement within the community and with the Hardfork we come to a type of blockchain splitting. A Contentious Hard Fork leads to the establishment of a new coin.
Regarding planned Hard Forks, the protocol change is planned and the transition is approved by community participants. A Planned Hard Fork is not leading to the splitting of the DLT and the rules are rationalized in the formula of continuity.
The reasons which can lead to a Hardfork are different but can be summarized in some places:
One of the themes that leads the blockchain community to face a fork is scalability. For example, regarding the DLT net, the starting point is a DLT created to process transactions every ten minutes. A time closely associated with the amount of transactions and the number of users. In the second half of 2017 there was an exponential increase in registrations due to a very strong increase in the spread of the currency. This "demand" has also resulted in a slowdown in the time of consolidation of consolidation of blocks consolidation on the DLT.
And let's get to the Forks, which is the subject of the division between the developer family who want to maintain the traditional blockchain structure and developers who want to increase the volume of locks and transactions, trying to make the recordings faster. This contrast has generated some forks of the DLT and the emergence of new virtual currencies originating from Bitcoin blockchain (like BCH and BTC).
But it should not be forgotten that each new separation of the blockchain also determines the risk of a possible centralization in the running of the blockchain itself and thus of weakening the trust mechanism, that is, a trust that is directly proportional to the number of nodes in the DLT network.
If you assume that, for the Miner, the chances of winning the Proof of Work are directly proportional to the computing capacity you have, you notice that the Bitcoin blockchain is exposed to an imbalance risk in favor of those who may have greater computing power or, in other respects, can access more computing capacity at more affordable costs. In these cases, for example, the purpose of remediation is to define protocol-level innovations that will lower the importance of computing capacity in the resolution of Proof of Work, that is, by trying to reduce the risks of concentration of the Miners.
The subject of performance and scalability has always accompanied the development of blockchain tech. BTC's ability to process transactions compares to time limits of less than 10 transactions per second. Among the themes of the community is that we have a protocol that can improve these performances. Among the "streets" is to increase the block size, which is to double the amount of dealings in each block.
Interventions on the DLT protocol are also intended to run the DLT ecosystem, or the set of rules and balances that underlie the blockchain's own view. Among the themes is the controlling of the Forks itself and to the precision of the Hardforks that leading the community to face real splits poses a theme of protecting the overall value of the ecosystem and, directly, also a theme of shared rules, of distributed and shared governance for Bitcoin.
- Cryptocurrency market update: Major cryptos trade in tight ranges on Saturday - FXStreet - April 6th, 2020
- These are the main factors to consider before investing in the cryptocurrency market - CryptoSlate - April 6th, 2020
- Brian Armstrong: Cryptocurrency Boom Will Spawn Millions of Tokens - The Daily Hodl - April 6th, 2020
- Global demand for cryptocurrencies escalating rapidly: What is the reason for this? - Cryptopolitan - April 6th, 2020
- This Cryptocurrency Casino Is the Latest Terrible Idea by Atari - CCN.com - April 6th, 2020
- First Mover: Trillions in Coronavirus Stimulus Bring Out the Bitcoin Bulls - Yahoo Finance - April 6th, 2020
- YouTube Scares Off Cryptocurrency Supporters by Banning their Content - Coin Idol - April 6th, 2020
- Alipays Progress in Developing the Official Chinese Cryptocurrency Amidst the Global Chaos - TWJ News - March 29th, 2020
- Huobi (HT) Buying Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrency Is Easier With Huobi Lite - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - March 29th, 2020
- Lukka debuts resource library on all things cryptocurrency - Accounting Today - March 28th, 2020
- Not Convinced New Investors are Buying Bitcoin, Top Analyst Says - newsBTC - March 28th, 2020
- How to identify when a cryptocurrency is about to skyrocket? | The Home of Altcoins: All About Crypto, Bitcoin & Altcoins - Coinlist - March 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus Crisis Shows Benefits of Virtual Reality to Cryptocurrency Enthusiasts - The Merkle Hash - March 28th, 2020
- Report: Asian Nations are Increasing Cryptocurrency Usage - Asia Crypto Today - March 28th, 2020
- President of Brazilian banking On cryptocurrency: They do not fulfill any of the classic functions of currency - Crypto Daily - March 28th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Accounting Firm Launches Library of Legal and Tax Advice - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals the Secret Behind Its Cryptocurrency Futures Success - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- What Happened In Cryptocurrency Tax Space In Q1 2020 - Forbes - March 27th, 2020
- What Will $6 Trillion in Monetary Expansion Do To Cryptocurrency? (Opinion) - CryptoPotato - March 27th, 2020
- Why this cryptocurrency just surged 16% on news of a key Binance partnership - CryptoSlate - March 27th, 2020
- The Role of Cryptocurrencies in the Rise of Ransomware - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Dash and Monero edge above Bitcoin to lead a remarkable recovery - FXStreet - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin news: Price hit by dramatic value fluctuations amid coronavirus panic buying and selling - The Independent - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin in the Palm of Your Hand Crypto Hardware Wallets Review - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Ranked: US cities with the most crypto owners - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- The Coder and the Dictator - The New York Times - March 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Gains $25.7B In 24 Hours As It Recovers From Massive Sell-Off - Benzinga - March 27th, 2020
- Chinas Cryptocurrency Is Closer Than Expected, Already Working On Legislation - CryptoPotato - March 27th, 2020
- We Implemented Cryptocurrency In Our Cannabis Business. Here's What We Found. - Green Entrepreneur - March 27th, 2020
- How To Make Money When The Cryptocurrency Market Is Tanking - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Thousands of These Computers Were Mining Cryptocurrency. Now They're Working on Coronavirus Research - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 19th, 2020
- Itiviti and Gemini to offer Nyfix connectivity for cryptocurrency customers - Finextra - March 19th, 2020
- 6 Cryptocurrency Exchanges That Don't Require KYC - Bitcoin News - March 19th, 2020
- How to Seize What Might Be Unprecedented Crypto Buying... - Coinspeaker - March 19th, 2020
- Will iMining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (CVE:IMIN) Spend Its Cash Wisely? - Simply Wall St - March 19th, 2020
- How Do You Maximize the Benefits of Cryptocurrency While Avoiding Near-Term Tax? Consider a Self-Directed IRA - The Block Talk - March 19th, 2020
- Russian Premier Bank Signals Red For Cryptocurrency Circulation And Issuance - TWJ News - March 19th, 2020
- Cyber Thieves Using Coronavirus Fears to Steal Bitcoin (BTC) and Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - March 19th, 2020
- BitGo Starts to Further its Cryptocurrency insurance policies - Crypto Daily - March 19th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies see $93.5 billion wiped off value in 24 hours as bitcoin plunges 48% - CNBC - March 15th, 2020
- [Updated] The Real Reason Behind Bitcoin And Cryptos Massive $50 Billion Crash? - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- 50 Companies Back New Cryptocurrency Project Competing With Facebook's Libra - Bitcoin News - March 15th, 2020
- The unlikely cryptocurrency bill that went to Congress - Decrypt - March 15th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Failed the Coronavirus Test - Motley Fool - March 15th, 2020
- XRP on the Verge of Free Fall - Crypto Briefing - March 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency exchange CoinDCX invests $1.3M in education initiative 'TryCrypto' - YourStory - March 15th, 2020
- Rise in trading volume a positive sign for cryptocurrency - BTC Wires - March 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk and Daniel Craig Featured in Cryptocurrency Scam Promising Massive Returns - The Daily Hodl - March 15th, 2020
- South Korea passes one of the worlds first comprehensive cryptocurrency laws - TechCrunch - March 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin And Crypto Investors: Avoid This New Cryptocurrency Like The Plague - Forbes - March 10th, 2020
- Over $26 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours after massive oil price plunge - CNBC - March 10th, 2020
- Chinese Nationals Charged with Laundering More Than $100 Million in Cryptocurrency | Chief Investment Officer - Chief Investment Officer - March 10th, 2020
- View: Why it's better for RBI to just wait and watch on cryptocurrency - Economic Times - March 10th, 2020
- Will Japan have a National Cryptocurrency? - Asia Crypto Today - March 10th, 2020
- Cardano (ADA) Cryptocurrency Going Great with Commercialization Measures - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - March 10th, 2020
- Binance Coin (BNB) Cryptocurrency Is Surging: Here's How It Can Refuel BTC - newsBTC - March 10th, 2020
- Is the Coronavirus The Black Swan Event That Crushes Cryptocurrency? - newsBTC - March 5th, 2020
- Nearly $10bn worth of cryptocurrency was stolen in the past three years - TechRadar - March 5th, 2020
- Latest news on the cryptocurrency market - Born2Invest - March 5th, 2020
- Coinbase CEO Reveals Controversial Bitcoin (BTC) and Cryptocurrency Prediction With Major Shift Incoming - The Daily Hodl - March 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk Just Sent The Best Cryptocurrency And Prank Bitcoin Rival Sharply HigherHeres Why - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Who Needs Cryptocurrency FedCoin When We Already Have A National Digital Currency? - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Binance, Coinbase, And Other Cryptocurrency Exchanges Reportedly Targeted By A New Trojan Virus - CryptoPotato - March 4th, 2020
- North Korea may Have to Forfeit 113 Cryptocurrency Accounts - The Merkle Hash - March 4th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Dogecoin is the best cryptocurrency - Decrypt - March 4th, 2020
- CoronaCoin: Cryptocurrency that bets on coronavirus deaths - Business Today - March 4th, 2020
- Meet the Northumbrian using cryptocurrency to address the UK's housing crisis - North East Times - March 4th, 2020
- How UNICEFs crypto currency fund could change the UN - Quartz - February 28th, 2020
- When IRS Asks About Cryptocurrency On Your Taxes, Answer Carefully - Forbes - February 28th, 2020
- While The Rest of the Market Tanks, One Cryptocurrency Is Above All-Time High - newsBTC - February 28th, 2020
- Crypto in the Hermit Kingdom: Understanding the Objectives of the Pyongyang Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference - RUSI Analysis - February 28th, 2020
- Warren Buffett: Cryptocurrency 'has no value' 'I don't own any and never will' - CNBC - February 28th, 2020
- VeChain (VET) Billion Dollars Partners Believe in the Cryptocurrency - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 28th, 2020
- Yemens Civil War Shows the Dangers of Crypto - Yahoo Finance - February 28th, 2020
- Fantom Foundation (FTM) 20 Cryptocurrency Transactions in a Single Second on the Blockchain - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 28th, 2020
- VertCoin (VTC) One Click Miner Beginning To Rock the Cryptocurrency World Already - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 28th, 2020
- A plan to sell Perth Glory to the LFE cryptocurrency firm is over, but the deal never added up - ABC News - February 28th, 2020
- Crime And Punishment In The Cryptocurrency World - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Focus: Ethereum Is on Fire - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Warren Buffett says he will never own any cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020